PDA

View Full Version : how safe is my car?

tagg
12-27-2012, 21:53
in the parking area at dickey gap, where the trail crosses VA650/VA16 (near troutdale). i'm planning to leave it for a little over a week. some places are worse than others in regards to vandalism. how is this spot?

SCRUB HIKER
12-27-2012, 22:07
I don't have a good answer for this, but I know that in 2011 there was a guy who sometimes picked up AT hitchhikers there who told them he used to break into cars at that precise trailhead, but was remorseful and was now giving back to the trail. So at least HE's out of the picture :).

Lone Wolf
12-27-2012, 22:08
there is no parking lot there. better to leave it at mount rogers HQ

Papa D
12-27-2012, 22:14
I think it will be fine - I lived in the back of my pick-up truck for a year - - hassled one time only - by a do-gooder sheriff in oregon (who ended up letting my car camp in the parking lot of the sheriff's ofc. - near Eugene, OR) - never had any problem leaving my car at trail-heads.

ocourse
12-27-2012, 23:22
What a bunch of weird and unrelated replies - Just disregard them. Look here http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/ and see that "Roadside parking possible for 2-3 cars on VA 650 just west of the intersection."
Don't worry about your vehicle. Vandalism happens anywhere and everywhere but it is predominantly random.

Don H
12-28-2012, 08:01
Some places are more prone to vandalism. Using the website above allows you to research and rate problem areas.

yellowsirocco
12-28-2012, 08:42
Maybe contact the church with the hostel in Troutdale. They might let you keep it there and then hitch to the trailhead. If they do make sure to give a proper donation.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2012, 09:37
What a bunch of weird and unrelated replies - Just disregard them. Look here http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/ and see that "Roadside parking possible for 2-3 cars on VA 650 just west of the intersection."
Don't worry about your vehicle. Vandalism happens anywhere and everywhere but it is predominantly random.

i wouldn't park there. lot of break-ins in the region. i don't care what the website says

tagg
12-28-2012, 11:13
i wouldn't park there. lot of break-ins in the region. i don't care what the website says

clearly you're knowledgeable about the area, so i'll heed your advice. i know you suggested mount rogers, but i'm trying to avoid a shuttle if possible, and i'm assuming i would need one to get back there. do you know of a "safer" place with parking nearby where i could leave it and be close to the trail? i don't necessarily have to finish at this particular road crossing, but i would like to find someplace near there because that's about how far i can walk in the time i'm planning to be out. is yellowsirocco's advice to park at the hostel in troutdale the closest option? i think i remember seeing that troutdale is about 2 miles from the trailhead, which is fine to walk if need be, but i would like to be able to park close to a trailhead if possible.

tagg
12-28-2012, 11:14

thanks for the link, i haven't stumbled upon this website before. it'll be very useful in planning future sections.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2012, 11:17
clearly you're knowledgeable about the area, so i'll heed your advice. i know you suggested mount rogers, but i'm trying to avoid a shuttle if possible, and i'm assuming i would need one to get back there. do you know of a "safer" place with parking nearby where i could leave it and be close to the trail? i don't necessarily have to finish at this particular road crossing, but i would like to find someplace near there because that's about how far i can walk in the time i'm planning to be out. is yellowsirocco's advice to park at the hostel in troutdale the closest option? i think i remember seeing that troutdale is about 2 miles from the trailhead, which is fine to walk if need be, but i would like to be able to park close to a trailhead if possible.
yes the hostel 1.5 miles away is your best option

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 14:40
I think it will be fine - I lived in the back of my pick-up truck for a year - - hassled one time only - by a do-gooder sheriff in oregon (who ended up letting my car camp in the parking lot of the sheriff's ofc. - near Eugene, OR) - never had any problem leaving my car at trail-heads.

Nor have I but there's always a first time. This is what greeted me coming out on the BMT at Beech Gap in TN---

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/a/a/f/748207/TRIP-129-279.jpg

Don H
12-28-2012, 16:58
Is that your car?

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 17:40
Is that your car?

Nope but I saw the guy backpacking in the day before and he left the next morning and got a real surprise. 90% of all my backpacking trips are shuttled---and I'm dropped off. No way I want a car sitting around for three weeks.

mtntopper
12-28-2012, 18:24
My car was broken in at that spot 3 weeks ago. Use a shuttle.

ocourse
12-29-2012, 20:06
My car was broken in at that spot 3 weeks ago. Use a shuttle.
This is the first definite report I have heard about this spot in my 40 years of trail life. I wouldn't assume that there is any place that is safer. If you shuttle, where will you park that is guaranteed to be safe?

Gambit
02-06-2013, 13:38
The sad answer to this is just that: No place is safe anymore. I don’t know what the best answer for you is but mine is: Carry full coverage on your vehicle and lock it up, and hope for the best. There is also a great difference in vandalism and break-ins. Vandalism is pretty much impossible to prevent, if someone wants to damage your property they can do it but as far as break-ins go, I leave a polite non antagonizing note on my driver window that states something along the lines of "No I will not be back in a few minutes, I have emptied my truck of all valuable items please don’t break my window to figure this out." Now how lucky I have been compared to Successful at defending theft, I don’t know. Other than one time I had a letter that I DID NOT write on my wiper blade but I could not read it due to water damage.

m_factor
02-06-2013, 19:43
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is also a good resource for finding out about trailhead problems. They collect incidence reports and often know if any particular trailhead is more of a problem area than others.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/contact-us