PDA

View Full Version : Micro-spike sizing

Smooth & Wasabi
12-27-2012, 22:58
I am a size fourteen and would like to order the XLs so that there is the chance they will fit my mountaineering and ski boots. However the most use will be with trail runners and I was wondering if they will fit tight enough. The sizing chart says xl will fit 14-16 but I didn't know if they meant Hiking Boots. I am using an REI gift card so if I can avoid trying them on in a store where I will not be buying them I would prefer it. Any one with big feet out there that can help me? Thanks

Smooth

Rasty
12-27-2012, 23:18
The kahtoola website has good sizing. I have a size 11.5 and the large fits my hiking boots.

peakbagger
12-28-2012, 08:22
I have XL Kahtoolas that fit my size 13 boots. One major improvement to Kahtoolas is to fit a velcro strap that runs up over the foot to keep them snug. Hillsounds come with those straps but for general trail use where traction if more important than ice grip the Kahtoolas are probably the best

BrianLe
12-28-2012, 15:44
If you have a nearby REI or other local outfitter, consider just bringing your footwear to the store and asking if you can try them on. My local REI stores carry microspikes, I'm not sure off-hand which others do.
Like the others, though, I bought online using whatever sizing guidelines were available that way and mine fit great --- tight enough to stay on reliably, not so tight as to be too hard to get on or off, or to cause foot-numbing compression on my trail runners.

Smooth & Wasabi
12-31-2012, 19:55
Thanks all. As I live in the sticks and prefer to spend gas money on getting to trailheads than towns I am just going to go ahead and order the XLs based on the feedback I have gotten. Thanks again happy new year.

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 14:43
Happy new year to you, too, and remember that REI takes returns on everything. If they don't fit, send them back!

(FWIW: The sizes they quote for "with boots" mean plastic mountaineering boots or GI mouse boots. For regular hiking boots, use the sizes with shoes. If you're at the borderline, get the smaller size. They run big, and a little tight is better than slipping.)

peakbagger
01-02-2013, 09:51
Hillsound makes an XXL size, the XL Katoolas and the XL hillsounds fit my size 13 winter boots but when I go up to a highly insulated winter boot, they were marginal.

ljcsov
01-02-2013, 21:36
I have size 12 hiking boots and size 12 winter boots which are probably around size 13 in normal shoes. For me, the larges work just fine.