PDA

View Full Version : Compression Sack

fiveonomo
12-27-2012, 23:17
Thinking about picking one up for a Big Agnes Encapment bag. Any thoughts on who makes a good one? What size for that bag? Thanks.

Tinker
12-28-2012, 01:21
Most old timers like myself dislike using compression sacks for insulated clothing and sleeping bags. They shorten the useful life of the item by kinking the insulative fibers in the bag. They aren't as bad for down, because it doesn't take a "set" like artificial fibers. Another reason I, personally, don't use them is that even the stuff sacks that I used to stuff to the gills formed hard "bowling balls" as I call them now, and there was lots of unused space in my pack between the sacks.

If you decide to compress your sleeping bag, make sure that you don't leave it in the compression sack one minute longer than you need to, and never leave the bag compressed in a hot area like a car or attic in the summer. Manufacturers crimp the fill fibers with heat, and it doesn't take much heat to undo the crimps, allowing the fibers to relax and lose loft.

fiveonomo
12-28-2012, 22:05
Thanks Tinker.

kayak karl
12-28-2012, 22:17
JRB makes nice ones. mine weights 1 oz. one strap, so its not like your compressing it into a rock, but small enough to make packing more manageable.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/compression-sacks/ i use the large winter and 3 season. Regular for summer.

fiveonomo
12-30-2012, 11:10
Thanks Karl, I picked one up from REI yesterday and it seems to be nice. What about my tent? Is it ok to hike with your tent in a compression sack or is that a no no? Trying to save space, I may be carrying extra stuff for my daughter. My hikes right now will be no more than a few days.

Don H
12-31-2012, 10:12
I never pack any of my gear in compression sacks or even tightly in stuff sacks. That way I can pack the items in the pack without leaving empty space.
I use the UL dry bags for my sleeping bag and clothes. Just squeeze the air out and roll down the top. This way I know everything will stay dry.

Schooley
12-31-2012, 10:27
A tip that I learned was to cram my bag (or top quilt and under quilt) in the pack first and fill in all those voids in the bottom of the pack and the bottom corners. It seems to work pretty well.