PDA

View Full Version : do Long distance hikers prefer the hydration system or regular bottles?

DavidNH
05-28-2005, 20:02
I want to know..do you and far as you know do most long distance AT hikers prefer using the hydration system (ie water in bag and tube comes out that you suck water from as you hike) or water from nalgene or other types of bottles?

personally I see good and bad with both systems. With the bottles..one needs to stop and take pack off to get a drink. The hydration system is convenient as you can drink while hiking but has disadvantages to wit: 1) you dont know it is empty till its empty, 2) can freeze and 3) some can leak.

Folks in the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seem to use the hydration sysem a lot.

So to sum up most simply: What is your recomendation for carrying your drinking water as you hike given best compromise of weight and convenience?

NHhiker

Hammock Hanger
05-28-2005, 20:09
It is as personal a decision as tent vs hammock...

I myself find I keep myself much more hydrated when I use a hydration system/bladder. I drink more often, the bags weigh hardly anything so I can carry a few extras tucked away. This way when I go to the water source I can fill multiple bottles that will get me through dinner, the night and the next morning with enough to start out the days hike. As they empty I fold and put in my pack. Some folks worry about not knowing when their bladders are getting low... After awhile you "just know". (You know how much is in a bladder and you know how much you are drinking.)

Sue/HH

Ridge
05-28-2005, 21:20
My husband spent a lot of time researching (and experimenting) the different hydration bladders. He ended up with the Ultimate brand. It did leak after many miles of use, called the company and they sent him a newly designed model and its been great. The problem of freezing can be solved by running the hose thru your sleeve. At night he uses the bladder as a pillow in his bag, no chance of freezing. For the problem of running out and not being able to tell how much water is needed, carry a small, very light, bottle of water for use when it happens. You can also time it after lots of experience. He drinks lots of water and gains more miles per day by not having to stop and fool with bottles. He has used the bottle as a cold compress on a sprain, by filling the bottle with cold creek water and wrapping it around the sprain.

MOWGLI
05-28-2005, 21:24
If there was some method for determining how much water was left in the bladder, short of opening the pack and looking at it, I'd be all for 'em. Until that time I'll remain a bottle guy. I don't like the idea of not knowing how much water I have left.

Pencil Pusher
05-28-2005, 21:50
If there was some method for determining how much water was left in the bladder, short of opening the pack and looking at it, I'd be all for 'em. Until that time I'll remain a bottle guy. I don't like the idea of not knowing how much water I have left.
Well this is the easy part: Start sucking and if the water is flowing freely, you still have water left. When you have to start sucking more, you're running out. When you run out of breath trying to suck it out, unscrew the hose and bite down on the valve to get the last remaining bit. Sort of like scuba diving except for unscrewing the hose... ;)

Hammock Hanger
05-28-2005, 22:52
LB: Like I said after awhile you just know... (that said my husband is still a diehard bottle man. says he doesn't like the whole tube thing, he like to chug his water...)

Sue/HH

Panzer1
05-28-2005, 23:10
The hydration system is convenient as you can drink while hiking but has disadvantages to wit: 1) you dont know it is empty till its empty,

When I was hiking in the summer, I always knew exactly how much water was in my 4 quart dromlite bag. When I would stop for a break I would usually go into my pack for something-or-another an while I was in there I would always pick up my Dromlite and determine exactly how much water was left. I would lift up the Dromlite and I could "feel" and "see" exactly how much water was left in the bag. OK, I could not tell you how much in terms of oz's was left, but you really don't need to know how much is left in terms of oz's.

When I filled the bag I always knew exactly in terms of oz's was in there because I filled the bag from my one quart nalgene bottle. So at the start I did know how many liters was in there.

Panzer

neo
05-28-2005, 23:21
i use powerade or gatorade bottles for water bottles,they are lite,free,reusable
neo:cool:

http://www.us.powerade.com/

http://www.gatorade.com/

David S.
05-29-2005, 00:16
I use a Platy 2 liter hydration system. In addition to that, I carry a pint sized Gatorade bottle attatched to my shoulder strap. When I run out of water in the Platy, I know I have the Gatorade bottle left. Thats how I have solved the problem of not knowing how much water I have left when using the Platy. If water sources are frequent, I don't even bother filling the Gatorade bottle.

However, like some have said, eventually you get to where you can just tell how much water is left. David S.

RITBlake
05-29-2005, 01:19
On a hot day its nice to drink cold water. So, after you take a pull off your platypus or whatever hydro system you are using, don't just swallow and push the tube away. Instead, swallow and then use your mouth to push the water backwards into the platypus. This solves the problem of water heating up in the small confines of the tube and it ensures you'll get a sip of cold water next time you feel the need.

The Old Fhart
05-29-2005, 08:19
NHhiker-"personally I see good and bad with both systems. With the bottles..one needs to stop and take pack off to get a drink. "Actually, no. I carry two 1 liter bottles in the side pockets of my pack and have a 500ml bottle in a pocket I have on my hip belt that also has snacks, etc., readily available. Whenever I stop for a break or to admire the view I can refill the small bottle if needed. Only having water bottles in your pack encourages you to drink less water than you should and get dehydrated. I find having this small bottle handy works quite well without the problems of strange things growing in the hose from the bladderpus which is quite common.

Jaybird
05-29-2005, 08:24
I want to know..do you and far as you know do most long distance AT hikers prefer using the hydration system (ie water in bag and tube comes out that you suck water from as you hike) or water from nalgene or other types of bottles?...........etc.,etc.,etc.................. ..
So to sum up most simply: What is your recomendation for carrying your drinking water as you hike given best compromise of weight and convenience?
NHhiker

i agree w/ H.H.

the water system preferences are as different as the hikers themselves.
i've found the Camelbak-style...carries more water...& is convenient...but...it's very heavy & bulky...(not good if you tend to have back problems, aches, etc) the water bottle(s) tend to keep the water weight lower..on the hips...as suggested by experienced hikers...

i use the water bottles...& never filter.

good luck with your hike. :D

flyfisher
05-29-2005, 08:55
I use a Platy 2 liter hydration system. In addition to that, I carry a pint sized Gatorade bottle attatched to my shoulder strap. When I run out of water in the Platy, I know I have the Gatorade bottle left. Thats how I have solved the problem of not knowing how much water I have left when using the Platy. If water sources are frequent, I don't even bother filling the Gatorade bottle.

However, like some have said, eventually you get to where you can just tell how much water is left. David S.
I also use the Platy 2 liter system. It is simple, reasonably cheap, and the bladder gets replaced for free when it leaks. I carry the bladder in a side pocket of my pack, and it is easy for me to reach back and feel the bladder and tell how much water I have left just by feel. I can quickly check it each time I come to a likely looking stream without taking my pack off or even breaking my stride.

MOWGLI
05-29-2005, 09:04
LB: Like I said after awhile you just know... (that said my husband is still a diehard bottle man. says he doesn't like the whole tube thing, he like to chug his water...)

Sue/HH

I guess ya just gotta have faith. In that regard, I'm still a water bladder infidel.

Maybe someday...

And for NHHiker, like Old Phart says, I have to stop to drink my water, but I don't have to take my pack off (while backpacking). I like the idea of stopping once in a while. I take water breaks frequently.

When I dayhike, which I do frequently, I do have to take my pack off for a drink. No biggee though.

Alligator
05-29-2005, 09:54
... I find having this small bottle handy works quite well without the problems of strange things growing in the hose from the bladderpus which is quite common.
Never had this problem, but 1. I don't put sugary drinks in mine and 2. I sanitize them frequently. I also sanitize my water bottles after hiking too. Just a matter of cleanliness.

Cookerhiker
05-29-2005, 10:33
Agree it's strictly a personal choice. I carry two 1-liter bottles on the pack plus a 12 oz bottle in a pouch on my belt so that I need not dismount my pack to drink while hiking. When I do take off my pack on breaks etc, I refill the 12 oz bottle.

MacGyver2005
05-29-2005, 10:59
I'm a die-hard Nalgene fan. From what I've seen in my Thru-Hike this year it is a mixed-bag. Lots of folks with the Platypus bags, but many of them also have a bottle of some form with them as well. I like having the bottles, as I can see what I have left, and the Nalgenes are marked so I can measure out water for dinner. I carry an Osprey Aether 60 and can get the bottles myself, without dropping pack like was previously suggested. It is also easier to collect water with a wide-mouth Nalgene in most conditions. Also, Gatorade is, in my opinion, a must have. It does so much to keep your body recovering from the daily abuse of hiking. With using ANY flavored drink it is probably best to use a bottle and not a hydration bag. Another thing to remember is the location of the weight in your pack. Men should carry the weight close to their hips, and even ladies should not put a full water bag right on top of their pack. But that is easily avoided with a little consideration and pack-planning.

Of course, this is just me. The hydration bags certainly work well. They are lighter, and since it's a bag, it's easier to manipulate IN your bag since it will give way. And when it is empty you can fold it up and stuff it away completely. You can drink and run, literally. With a bottle, even if you can walk and drink, it requires the full use of at least one hand, making walking a little more difficult. And the multi-purpose aspect of a bag is better, like using it as a pillow. I've used a Nalgene as a pillow once, it wasn't too cool. ;)

I guess if I were to suggest one or the other to someone that just couldn't decide, I'd say grab a hydration bag. That way if they changed their mind, they could just send the bag home and use a few Gatorade bottles instead.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

Pencil Pusher
05-29-2005, 22:58
I will say those Platypus bladders become delaminated at the most inopportune times. I don't know what the lifespan is, but be careful. Ditto with the bite valve on a full bag. For the fungus amungus in the tube, warm/hot water along with some chlorine gets rid of that stuff lickity split. But keeping the tube empty with the bite valve off while in storage minimizes this stuff.

briarpatch
05-30-2005, 10:39
I use two 1 liter bladders, that way, when I empty one, I know have an equal amount remaining. It solves the "how much do I have left" problem. When the first one is empty, its time to look for a place to refill. I can carry them in the water bottle pockets on each side of my pack, or stacked in a hydration pocket.

Plus, I had a the cap on a 2 liter pop off once, about 2 miles from a water source at a dry mountaintop campsite. With 2 bladders, if one fails you only loose half of your water :D .

trip
05-30-2005, 16:14
If you're going UL, consider going with 2 1-liter bottles; some guys get away with just 1 1-liter bottle. I recommend Aquafina for the larger top. You can always camel up, plus it saves weight. I like cameling, but for many hikers it's not their thing.

Caution: Don't save weight at the expense of getting dehydrated!

Dharma
05-30-2005, 17:10
I used a 1 liter Nalgene in the winter and a 1 liter Mountain Dew bottle in the spring and summer. I carried my extra water in a 4 liter MSR Dromlite bag. When hiking I'd typically have only a liter of water in there and at camp I fill it up to capacity.

The Nalgene will let you make hot drinks or make a leak-proof hot water bottle for your sleeping bag.

The Nalgene/Mtn Dew bottle was always accessible in the side pocket of my pack and the Dromlite rode under my pack lid.

Tha Wookie
05-30-2005, 17:29
I use bottles.

The hydro system is just something else to buy, to maintain, to carry, and eventually to replace.

i.e.,... waste of weight.

Hammock Hanger
05-30-2005, 19:42
I like cameling, but for many hikers it's not their thing.

Caution: Don't save weight at the expense of getting dehydrated!

I love to carry my water this way... (cameling) I drink up at numerous water sources along the way. :jump Sue/HH

Footslogger
05-30-2005, 21:39
I prefer BOTH, actually. I carry a 1.8 liter platy hydration system with hose in my in my pack. I also carry a 20 oz gatorade bottle attached to my shoulder strap with shock cord. I use the gatorade bottle for flavored drinks (and scooping water) and the platy for water.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Mags
05-30-2005, 22:09
I have to stop to drink my water, but I don't have to take my pack off (while backpacking). I like the idea of stopping once in a while. I take water breaks frequently.

Same here. I like the simplicity of taking a bottle out of my holster, dip in stream and then move on. Big believer in the KISS principle. Never could get used to a cambelback type hydration system.

Jester2000
05-31-2005, 03:33
Hey, I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. "It's every individual's choice" be damned, it's hard (in my mind) to argue against my belief that "hydration systems" are over-engineered, overpriced nonsense.

Yeah, that's right, nonsense. You really feel more hydrated when you're using one? Personally, I drink constantly. And you know what? You can't drink WHILE you're walking ('cause you've got to breathe), and if your pack doesn't have pockets that are accessible to you without removing it then you're probably hiking in 1973.

But you know what else? I LIKE removing my pack during the course of the day and taking a break. You know why? 'Cause I've got NO WHERE TO BE. I'm not in a rush. Drop my pack and drink a litre of water? Yes sir! Maybe two! Know what? I know I've got two. Because they're in bottles I can see. I don't have to "feel" or "sense" anything except water sliding down my throat.

And I can be confident that my bottle won't have a seal problem, or a leaking problem, or a cleaning problem. Bottles -- proven technology for, what, a couple of hundred years? And now in lightweight plastic form!

You "hydration system" people got sold a bad bill of goods, and you're just hangin' on. 'Cause you can't admit that something so much simpler and cheaper and easier was better, IS better, and will always be better.

rpettit
05-31-2005, 07:25
I carry a 1 liter bottle and a 2 liter platypus. I usually carry only 1 liter of water at anytime to reduce pack wieght, which I carry in my 1 liter bottle. When you only carry 1 liter of water it is very important to be able to see exactly how much water you have left. I carry the 2 liter platypus just in case I encounter long distances of trail without water. The platy has never been used except for the 1st time I tried it after my wife bought it for me. It remains collapsed in my pack.

mdjeeper
05-31-2005, 18:42
I use both, I have a platy 2 liter in the pack and carry 2 bottles, one with water and one with gatorade/powerade/kool-aid/juice (whatever flavored drink i am feeling up to that day). I tend to drink a ton of fluids, so for myself, having 3-4 liters of water with me is the norm.

Texas Dreamer
06-01-2005, 14:31
I've been carrying a Sprite bottle since Springer. When I reach a water source with a good sittin' spot, I sit down, take the load off, and drink all my water. The Aqua Mira "cooks" during this time, and then it's refill, put in the aqua Mira, and hit the road. By the time the whole thing repeats the treatment has had plenty of time. Someone said the other day that a high percentage of smokers make it all the way because they stop and take breaks often, maybe camelling is the same. I also carry about a half liter or so inside the pack in large Platy--that way I know I have "emergency" water if I don't find a source for a while.

I used to have a hydration hose--but one day i realized that even on day hikes I tend to sit down and drink--so I ditched it. Unneccessary weight.

DLFrost
06-01-2005, 16:37
I have little trust for bladder hydration systems. And having run into a hiker last summer on the trail who was digging a failing bladder out of his pack has only firmed my prejudice. They ought to call 'em Hydration Bladder Failures and be done with it.

I use the same old white widemouth Nalgene as always--but with one of those nifty pouring inserts. And I'm experimenting with the Nalgene Cantene for extra storage because I've heard it praised as being reliable. (The 48 oz. widemouth weighs just 2.4 ounces and folds away to save space.) For drinking I have a small Powerade bottle (wide mouth, easy fill, 1.5 oz.) in an Adventure 16 holster that's looped onto the decending part of the right shoulder strap. It stays down by the pack until I slide it up to get a drink. By the time I've emptied that, it's time for a rest stop and refill. If I need to gather water from from a dripping seep or a difficult spot (shallow pool, steep access, etc.), I use a gallon Ziploc bag to get it a half-gallon at a time.

Doug Frost

tlbj6142
06-01-2005, 16:51
if your pack doesn't have pockets that are accessible to you without removing it then you're probably hiking in 1973.This statement is way wrong. I have yet to find a pack which allows me to reach into a side pocket while I'm wearing it and remove and insert a bottle. On some packs I can (with a bit of luck) remove a bottle. But there is no way I'll ever be able to re-insert it without taking the pack off.
But you know what else? I LIKE removing my pack during the course of the day and taking a break. You know why? 'Cause I've got NO WHERE TO BE. I'm not in a rush. Drop my pack and drink a litre of water?I have to agree with this statement. I have never understood why folks are so proud when they say "and I don't have to take my pack off". Yeesh! I don't know about you, but I can take my pack off in a couple of seconds. And put it back on in less than 30. I feel the same way about taking shoes/socks off during breaks. Some folks make it seem as though they require several hours to put their shoes back on. If you don't have 30 seconds to spare on the trail....

Footslogger
06-01-2005, 17:02
I have little trust for bladder hydration systems. And having run into a hiker last summer on the trail who was digging a failing bladder out of his pack has only firmed my prejudice. They ought to call 'em Hydration Bladder Failures and be done with it.
Doug Frost=======================================
I had my doubts at first too ...but after about 6 - 8 years and many thousand miles of using them (my experience is with the Platypus) I have yet to experience a bladder failure as you described above. Carried the same 1.8 Liter Platy all the way from Springer to Katahdin in 2003 with not a drop of leakage ...and that same Platy is still going strong.

Yes, they do get brittle and after several "fold and unfold" iterations they do reach the end of their useful life at some point. But you can generally tell when that is about to happen. Those are typically the larger capacity water bags used to haul water in the campsite though and not the ones used as while-you-hike hydration bladders. I lay mine flat across the top of my pack to avoid the folding problem.

Of all the "failures" I have seen with hydration systems the most common is actually leakage due to improper tightening of the hose/cap to the bladder.

Point being, that they do work. But they're not for everyone. Somehow it doesn't seem valid to condemn them all due to your lack of trust.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
06-01-2005, 17:30
they do get brittle and after several "fold and unfold"Never really understood why folks fold them. Just lay them flat.

Footslogger
06-01-2005, 17:53
Never really understood why folks fold them. Just lay them flat.=============================
That's how the 2 and 4 Liter water bags come from the manufacturer. They are tripple folded, probably due to their size and the packaging constraints. When you carry one of those larger sized bags just for gathering water in camp it actually makes sense to travel with them folded when empty. But, over time those folds do result in cracks. The 1.8 Liter Platy that I used as my primary hydration system lasted an entire thru-hike and then some. But the 4 Liter bag I used to gather water in camp wore out about half way up the trail and had to be replaced.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Slimer
06-01-2005, 18:14
I carry a bladder system and a bottle and have never had a problem. I found the bladder to be very handy in the case where the water source was a good long walk from camp (or shelter). I could fill the bladder once and have enough water without having to walk all the way down to the water source again. I saw people carrying one little bottle and they had to make several trips down a rough path (sometimes in the dark) just to get enough water. I don't mind a little extra walk, but at the end of the day, I just want to settle in. As far as walking and drinking at the same time, whats so hard about that??????? Its seems as though Jester has been traumatized by a hydration bladder.

Pencil Pusher
06-01-2005, 20:14
Maybe you can get 6-8 years out of a thicker Camelback-type bladder... I've had two Platypus failures. I never paid any attention to whether it was folded or not when empty or in use. I can remember one on a rather cold winter outing, filling it up with warm water and slipping it between belly and jacket. As time passes I begin to feel a little damp, etc, etc, until I realize the damn thing sprung a leak. Thankfully dain bramage prevents me from remembering how I got through it or slept that night. The other failure was due to delamination at the edge. While thankfully not during the winter, it still created a problem as to keeping water in it to finish the hike. I've had at least one instance where I either packed it with bite valve compressed or got the bite valve compressed under a pack strap thereby draining on me or the pack contents. Dain bramage prevents details... which can be a good thing in some instances.
The zip-lock platypus works well for adding drink mix or snow, and collecting stream water. I don't think I've ever used the grommets on the end though. They can be a bit of a bear to seal, or recognized as sealed.

fiddlehead
06-01-2005, 20:37
water bottles (gatoraid, pepsi, etc.) are lighter, almost free ("free is better than cheap") and will not leak. I have used one for a whole thru-hike already. I have hiked with friends whose bladder system leaked all over their clothes and don't see the advantage.
It depends on where you put your bottles if you must take off your pack or not to get a drink. I don't!
Yeah, it's a matter of opinion but i believe that people use bladder sytems because backpacker magazine tells them they need it. You don't! Of course this is only my opinion!
One more thing, except in July and August and depending on the weather, you don't need to carry water all the time on the AT. You can learn to camel up and go 5-10 miles without water. Keep it simple, and keep your mind open! fh

Nean
06-02-2005, 07:24
I likes to put spoon grits, not fork- in my bladder so i can eat whiles i hike. And now with Miss Janets new dehydration system, no more wasted time stopping to pee. Be sure to set your alarm so your wasted time during breaks does not exceed 5 min. Stay tuned for my new book in which I expertly explain the pyramid of BS.

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 07:55
Stay tuned for my new book in which I expertly explain the pyramid of BS.

Someone already beat you to the punch. The current #1 NY Times bestseller is entitled On Bull$hit.

Hammock Hanger
06-02-2005, 09:29
I likes to put spoon grits, not fork- in my bladder so i can eat whiles i hike. And now with Miss Janets new dehydration system, no more wasted time stopping to pee. Be sure to set your alarm so your wasted time during breaks does not exceed 5 min. Stay tuned for my new book in which I expertly explain the pyramid of BS.
Nean: I look forward to your book but doubt I would have the time to read it... can't stop.

Ya know even if we use bladders it doesn't mean we don't stop to smell the roses! :p

Sue/HH

MacGyver2005
06-02-2005, 10:07
I have yet to find a pack which allows me to reach into a side pocket while I'm wearing it and remove and insert a bottle. On some packs I can (with a bit of luck) remove a bottle. But there is no way I'll ever be able to re-insert it without taking the pack off.
Just a suggestion, but check out the Osprey packs with the side mesh pouches that are both top and front accessible. I am carrying an Aether 60, and I am capable of removing and inserting my water bottle there. I also keep my camera in that pouch, attached to my shoulder strap with a carabiner and get that in and out fine as well. Osprey may not have a pack for you, but they are the first internal frame packs I've seen with pouches that actually work without assistance.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005