PDA

View Full Version : Self Supported In Under 60 Days

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

full conditions
08-08-2013, 14:31
its not about asterisks or different records or anything else. its about someone taking two opposing view points depending on which one suits them at the moment.
+1 with a metaphorical bullet.

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 14:43
its not about asterisks or different records or anything else. its about someone taking two opposing view points depending on which one suits them at the moment.I don't have the time to find it right now...but I think we called that "Confusionism" the other day in this same thread.:D, but yeah I see what your sayin...:)

but hey, I can be loyal to what ever side I'm on, if it'll entertain...others also possess this not so rare commonality.;)

max patch
08-08-2013, 14:45
I guess some here think that Doyle holds the fastest time.

He and a friend hiked up Springer, jumped in their car and drove to Baxter where they hiked up Katahdin. 30 hours total elapsed time.

I can see the difference between this and a supported hike as well as an unsupported hike. Some here can't.

(In case you are wondering this is a serious post. Doyle and friend actually hold this record.)

max patch
08-08-2013, 14:46

He and a friend hiked up Springer, jumped in their car and drove to Baxter where they hiked up Katahdin. 30 hours total elapsed time.

I can see the difference between this and a supported hike as well as an unsupported hike. Some here can't.

(In case you are wondering this is a serious post. Doyle and friend actually hold this record.)

Anybody know who holds the SOBO record? :)

Malto
08-08-2013, 14:50

this seems to be a much easier record to beat than trying to best Matt. A lot quicker too!

TD55
08-08-2013, 15:01

In addition, Doyle also holds the record for most ignorant post on this thread.

Alligator
08-08-2013, 15:13
Let's just drop the Doyle stuff please. Thread's not about him.

RCBear
08-08-2013, 15:21
I should think that anyone of us would feel extremely silly and embarrassed to stand in front of Matt Kirk right now and talk about NOBO vs SOBO or any of the other inane things that have been said. Apart from the fact that he would appear to be too humble to do so, he would be perfectly in his rights to tell us where to shove it, considering NONE of us are capable of his feat.

Congratulations Matt on an incredible physical and mental accomplishment.

Driver8
08-08-2013, 15:25
I should think that anyone of us would feel extremely silly and embarrassed to stand in front of Matt Kirk right now and talk about NOBO vs SOBO or any of the other inane things that have been said. Apart from the fact that he would appear to be too humble to do so, he would be perfectly in his rights to tell us where to shove it, considering NONE of us are capable of his feat.

I'm in this camp. I say we celebrate Matt and his extraordinary accomplishment. Bravo, Matt Kirk!

full conditions
08-08-2013, 15:26

A-bloody-men brother. It's about time somebody said it.

mcstick
08-08-2013, 15:34
A-bloody-men brother. It's about time somebody said it.

I thought this was a thread about basketball!!

In all seriousness, what driver8 said. I'm in awe of matts accomplshment, just as I am of those who came before him.

Go bulls.

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 15:37

I think I could beat that record. Climb Springer. Take a car to Atlanta. Fly to Bangor. Drive to Baxter. Climb Katahdin.

Driving is called yellow blazing. What is it called if you fly?

TD55
08-08-2013, 15:40
I think I could beat that record. Climb Springer. Take a car to Atlanta. Fly to Bangor. Drive to Baxter. Climb Katahdin.

We, it has to be a color, so what color is air?

Driver8
08-08-2013, 15:41

Airbrushing?

jersey joe
08-08-2013, 15:45
Amazing how consistent Matt was. Very few days over or under 30 miles or over 40 miles.

Now we have a very detailed itinerary of the record holders hike, a template if you will. Something we didn't have with Ward's record.

I anticipate that there will be more serious attempts on Matt's record in the coming years....but....

...that is for another thread...congrats yet again Matt!

Web Master
08-08-2013, 15:46

Blue blazing is my first thought but that one is already spoken for...

Sky-blazing??? Wimp blazing??? Just wrong blazing???

Web

TD55
08-08-2013, 15:47
Airbrushing in not a color. Airblazing sounds sounds better, but still not a color.

TD55
08-08-2013, 15:50
You would want to do a nite flight. Do Springer in the evening, get ride to airport, fly to Bangor to arrive in morning, do K as soon as park opens. Blackblazing.

ChinMusic
08-08-2013, 15:52
Cloud Blazing

TD55
08-08-2013, 15:55
The cheese would last the whole hike.

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 16:02
You would want to do a nite flight. Do Springer in the evening, get ride to airport, fly to Bangor to arrive in morning, do K as soon as park opens. Blackblazing.

Now that I think about it.....here too SOBO would be easier/faster. Camp at Baxter. Get up early. Climb K. Catch a late afternoon flight from Bangor. Arrive in Atlanta, drive to the road crossing not far from the top of Springer. Might be able to do it in 20 hours and shave 10 hours off the record. Going down K is faster than going up it, and Springer is pretty irrelevant either way.

TD55
08-08-2013, 16:09
Now that I think about it.....here too SOBO would be easier/faster. Camp at Baxter. Get up early. Climb K. Catch a late afternoon flight from Bangor. Arrive in Atlanta, drive to the road crossing not far from the top of Springer. Might be able to do it in 20 hours and shave 10 hours off the record. Going down K is faster than going up it, and Springer is pretty irrelevant either way.

But you would have the NOBO-SOBO debate to deal with. Doyle did it NOBO. Your suggestion would not get you the NOBO record, only the overall record and the SOBO record. However, type of gear would not be something to worry about effecting the asterik's.

jeffmeh
08-08-2013, 16:10
Amazing how consistent Matt was. Very few days over or under 30 miles or over 40 miles.

Now we have a very detailed itinerary of the record holders hike, a template if you will. Something we didn't have with Ward's record.

I anticipate that there will be more serious attempts on Matt's record in the coming years....but....

...that is for another thread...congrats yet again Matt!

Indeed. The next to attempt gets Matt's curve and a 37 mpd line as the reference lines. :)

It might be nice to have a sticky that can only be updated by the mods, to keep track of completed FKTs, without all of this wonderfully witty commentary adding to the post count (my own included).

P.S. Actually, 37.4 mpd given the denominator is 58.4, not 59.

Alligator
08-08-2013, 16:11
Quit hijacking the thread guys. Thread's about Matt. (not you jeffmeh, before that).

illabelle
08-08-2013, 16:14

very much agree!
:sun

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 16:20

I don't think Mr. Kirk went into this not knowing who the players were, what exactly they've accomplished in the past, and what it would mean to best any records...this is nothing new, the rhetoric has existed for years...it's part of the appeal, the draw, the drive, and does not distract one bit form a job well done...in my humble opinion.

and there's nothing inane about defining parameters...it's right at the heart of the issue...and always has been.

tdoczi
08-08-2013, 16:27

and what exactly do you guys call this record?

Driver8
08-08-2013, 16:33
Thread's about Matt.

Speaking of which, it will be great to hear from Matt, how he's doing, feeling. What his post-hike plans are. I imagine 80% sleep, 10% eat, a lot, and 10% other in the past day. In his end-of-hike pics, he looks borderline emaciated. No doubt he's glad to be finished and able to recoup.

Mags
08-08-2013, 16:41
It might be nice to have a sticky that can only be updated by the mods, to keep track of completed FKTs, without all of this wonderfully witty commentary adding to the post count (my own included).

There is already a place for that and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. Peter Bawkin does a great job on his site.

http://www.fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

BTW, this info IS on a sticky. :)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74404-Fastest-Known-Times

and what exactly do you guys call this record?

OK..we get the point. You think the categories don't make sense.

Cool. WE all have opinions.

Now it is time to move on. This thread is not the place for it. Appreciate it if you stop flinging oatmeal:)

Thanks!

kenp
08-08-2013, 19:10
Fair play to you Matt! (Irish idiom meaning: "holy ******, I can't believe you just did that. [In a good way]"). Hope you have time to relax and bask in the glory. I look forward to hearing about your next adventure.

CrumbSnatcher
08-08-2013, 22:17
Congrats Matt! way to rock it out :-)

map man
08-08-2013, 23:47
My hat is off to you, Matt. It took a lot of intestinal fortitude to get this done.

Since the logistics of a hike like this is something I find interesting (and maybe others do too) I have tried to reconstruct the places Matt chose to resupply along the way from his video logs, either with packages he prepared ahead of time, or with buying stuff on the spot:

Caratunk ME, end of day 4
Gorham NH, end of day 8 (White Mountain Lodge specifically, as Sly points out)
Norwich VT (Norwich Inn), end of day 13
North Adams MA, during day 18
Kent CT, during day 21
Store/Deli outside Vernon NJ, during day 24
Delaware Water Gap PA, during day 26
Duncannon PA, end of day 29
Bears Den Hostel, VA, end of day 33
Loft Mountain Camp Store SNP VA, during day 36
Daleville VA, end of day 40
Pearisburg VA, during day 43
Damascus VA, end of day 47
Van Gogh Memorial Hostel TN?, during day 49 (Sly points out this is "Vango and Abbey's")
Erwin TN, during day 51 (Uncle Johnny's, to be exact)
Hot Springs NC, end of day 52
Nantahala Outdoor Center NC, during day 56
Mountain Crossings Outfitter GA, during day 59

There were also some other minor resupply stops where convenient and the occasional restaurant meal and unplanned trail magic from fellow hikers and at road crossings along the way. (Edit: I modified this slightly after a day based on Matt's PLANNED itinerary which he published after his hike was over, and on a reply he sent me to a PM.)

Sly
08-08-2013, 23:51
Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. .

Now what!?

Sly
08-08-2013, 23:57
My hat is off to you, Matt. It took a lot of intestinal fortitude to get this done.

Since the logistics of a hike like this is something I find interesting (and maybe others do too) I have tried to reconstruct the places Matt chose to resupply along the way from his video logs, either with packages he prepared ahead of time, or with buying stuff on the spot:

Gorham NH, end of day 8
Hanover NH/Norwich VT, end of day 13
Dalton MA, end of day 18
Kent CT, during day 21
Van Gogh Memorial Hostel TN?, during day 49
Erwin TN, during day 51

There were also some other minor resupply stops where convenient and the occasional restaurant meal and unplanned trail magic from fellow hikers and at road crossings along the way.

If he had a drop at Uncle Johnny's, it looks like the furthest off trail he went was Gorham and Kent.

PS It's Vango and Abby's Memorial Hostel

PSS video 9 says he stayed at White Mountain Lodge (and Hostel). That's actually Sherbourne (not Gorham) and directly on the trail.

PSSS His resupply strategy was brilliant.

Sly
08-09-2013, 00:24
Here's a playlist of all of Matt's videos to date.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLagchtyC-HSY0XEh4FbyQVgvt6BF-mGjp

Poedog
08-09-2013, 00:52
As a fellow amazing person, I am amazed.

Well done.

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 05:17
I think Matt Kirk and Jennifer Pharr Davis are amazing!Both have thru hiked the traditional way so why not go out and test your limits!congratulations to Matt.keep on keeping on

Driver8
08-09-2013, 05:34
An interesting question would be to try and suss out how much time was added to his hike by the fact that he walked into towns for resupply vs. JPD's van-supported approach. How much, further, could be attributed to his carrying more weight on his back than she did. And how much to 1) the fact that she probably ate a lot more, relative to her nutritional needs, more regularly, than he did, and 2) she may have gotten better rest than he, in motels and in her mobile camping arrangement?

Medically, it would be fascinating for some med school lab to do a complete work-up of him now, a thorough survey of his condition. Not out of worry, but just as a highly interesting, extreme case study. The same would have been interesting, likewise, for Jen. Come to think of it, it could make for an interesting source of funding for a thru-hike. Agree to medical monitoring, and a check-up before and after the hike, and get support like what Jen got on her hike. Maybe wear, for parts of the hike, or all of it, mobile medical monitoring equipment. Not saying it would be fun for the hiker, but it would be an extraordinary medical case study if she or he were agreeable to it. Likewise, for that matter, for a less elite athlete - measuring how the body transforms, various metrics adjust, etc. I think they do similar monitoring on "The Biggest Loser", both for liability concerns and in the interest of medical science. Interesting stuff.

Driver8
08-09-2013, 05:36
Also, now that Matt's done with this record-setting hike, wonder if he comes back later and tries to break Jen's supported record? Wonder if she'd offer up part or all of her team to the effort?

Sly
08-09-2013, 06:34
An interesting question would be to try and suss out how much time was added to his hike by the fact that he walked into towns for resupply vs. JPD's van-supported approach.

Map man possed his resupply a couple post ago and of you look closely it shows he barely left the trail. I'd be surprised if he lost more than 5 miles. Most were at the end of the day and others he kept walking, so he really only lost a few hours.

Malto
08-09-2013, 07:35
Originally Posted by DavidNH

"Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that."

Now what!?
---------------------------------------------
I think I saw an ad in the local paper.....
wanted: place to live for me, my family, chickens, pigs and cows. Am willing to exchange milk and bacon for rent.

There was also this announcement.

(AP) Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp announce today that the 2013 Farm Aid Concert will be moved to New Hampshire. Reports from the area indicate that people continue to lose there farms, not from blights or weather but from making stupid bets. watch your local news for more details.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 08:13
An interesting question would be to try and suss out how much time was added to his hike by the fact that he walked into towns for resupply vs. JPD's van-supported approach. How much, further, could be attributed to his carrying more weight on his back than she did. And how much to 1) the fact that she probably ate a lot more, relative to her nutritional needs, more regularly, than he did, and 2) she may have gotten better rest than he, in motels and in her mobile camping arrangement?

Driver- Jen's book is "Called Again"- came out not too long ago. I'd suggest a read. She got better and steadier food for sure. She may have stayed in less hotels/hostels than Matt, otherwise her "mobile camping arrangement" was the same as we all use- a tent or shelter. It is possible that she took less showers than Matt. Her crew- her husband and up to two friends at a time. Brew (her husband) is the guy in the white t-shirt in the finish photos. The nutritional study would be interesting indeed.

Resupply- really the thing isn't so much the travel, but the time involved. Off trail travel is pretty negligible overall (on the AT), but simple stuff is what matters. Matt had to check in, pick up his drop, do laundry, eat a town meal, drink a beer, poop on a toilet, watch TV, shop, repair gear, and on and on. Jen was able to pass all that off to Brew and keep walking. You ever find yourself on trail and then spend 30 minutes in a toilet because you are once more enthralled by the wonders of modern plumbing and evacuating your bowels while comfortably seated? Even simple things like taking a crap and not getting distracted are parts of the resupply.

It's not the walking to town, it's the town that gets you. In that sense Jen had the best strategy so far- she just stayed on the trail. Matt showed incredible discipline on his hike period, Malto has mentioned it too, but in my opinion; waking up and going, not stopping after dinner, and getting in and out of town make or break you. They are all monumentally hard tasks.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 08:19
If he had a drop at Uncle Johnny's, it looks like the furthest off trail he went was Gorham and Kent.

PS It's Vango and Abby's Memorial Hostel

PSS video 9 says he stayed at White Mountain Lodge (and Hostel). That's actually Sherbourne (not Gorham) and directly on the trail.

PSSS His resupply strategy was brilliant.
Map Man, Sly, and anyone else- I could still use some help with this one- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96661-Genuine-Help-Requested Although it seems that Vango and Abby's (I definitely don't know that one) is the only one missing. The list from that thread- set up for a NOBO hike. 23258

rocketsocks
08-09-2013, 08:19

"Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that."

Now what!?
wanted: place to live for me, my family, chickens, pigs and cows. Am willing to exchange milk and bacon for rent.

(AP) Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp announce today that the 2013 Farm Aid Concert will be moved to New Hampshire. Reports from the area indicate that people continue to lose there farms, not from blights or weather but from making stupid bets. watch your local news for more details.

ah what the!

23259:D

max patch
08-09-2013, 08:42
do laundry,

I doubt he did that. I'd mail clean clothes to myself in every drop and save that hour and a half. I bet he did to.

Sly
08-09-2013, 08:48
Map Man, Sly, and anyone else- I could still use some help with this one- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96661-Genuine-Help-Requested Although it seems that Vango and Abby's (I definitely don't know that one) is the only one missing. The list from that thread- set up for a NOBO hike. 23258

NOBO vs SOBO it doesn't matter! ;)

Not sure of

Fontana Visitor Center
Creekside restaurant may be closed
Never heard of Big Momma's but you could check Afton Lodge
Ironmasters at Pine Grove but they're closed during the day
Not Sure about Heaven Hill
Bear Mountain PO has limited hours
Williamstown Stop & Shop rather than North Adams
Not sure about any AMC facility
Stratton is a hitch
Shaw's or Lakeshore House in Monson (unattended drops in the wilderness are illegal)
Abol bridge may not take drops

The rest are OK (I think) but I would stay as close to Matt's resupply as possible.

PS If you use a drop that's not on the AT Mailing Labels list let me know and I'll add it. When I have time I'll add off trail miles for non-PO drops

Sly
08-09-2013, 08:51
I doubt he did that. I'd mail clean clothes to myself in every drop and save that hour and a half. I bet he did to.

With quick dry clothing, showering with your clothes on helps but there may have been times doing laundry was convenient enough not to lose any time (at days end while you're pigging out)

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 08:55
Laundry means different things to different folks. A good shirt, skirt, socks and shoes get a bit expensive to swap out every drop. Even with a dedicated person at home and paying for faster delivery you'd still need four sets or so. I wash my clothes in the shower, dry them while I eat dinner. Takes about twenty minutes. Or I wash them as I go, dry them while I eat a meal- takes about five minutes2326023261. Socks and hiking clothes get washed almost daily, the rest of it, here and there.

full conditions
08-09-2013, 09:45

Now what!?

Thank you for providing me with the best laugh I've had in days - I snoogied a half quart of grape nuts all over myself.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
08-09-2013, 10:12
He mailed new socks each drop but I didn't see clothes in the playlist video. First one shows all his mail drop preparation. Pretty interesting for those who've never went the distance.

jersey joe
08-09-2013, 10:14

Dalton MA, end of day 18
Kent CT, during day 21
Van Gogh Memorial Hostel TN?, during day 49 (Sly points out this is "Vango and Abbey's")

Nice job with putting this together Map Man. I'm also very interested in the logistics of a hike like this. It seems that getting the logistics down goes a long way towards making something like this happen. I'd be curious to see if Matt publishes/posts a detailed itinerary of his planned mileage and stops with what he actually did. That would be gold for us logistic junkies.

RCBear
08-09-2013, 10:14

Now what!?

Thank you for providing me with the best laugh I've had in days - I snoogied a half quart of grape nuts all over myself.

I do have respect for those that come back, own their comments and humbly apologize when they were way off base. Those that don't, not so much

HikerMom58
08-09-2013, 10:28
I do have respect for those that come back, own their comments and humbly apologize when they were way off base. Those that don't, not so much

Right on RCBear... respect is earned. It takes balls to come back, own their comments and humbly apologize when they were way off base. Apparently those that can't do that, don't have any. They don't earn respect. I do have respect for the ones that do.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 10:29
Nice job with putting this together Map Man. I'm also very interested in the logistics of a hike like this. It seems that getting the logistics down goes a long way towards making something like this happen. I'd be curious to see if Matt publishes/posts a detailed itinerary of his planned mileage and stops with what he actually did. That would be gold for us logistic junkies.
Agreed on all counts!

Kookork
08-09-2013, 11:10

"Uncle Logistic" sounds just right for your trail name to me.

forrest!
08-09-2013, 12:31

Dalton MA, end of day 18
Kent CT, during day 21

There were also some other minor resupply stops where convenient and the occasional restaurant meal and unplanned trail magic from fellow hikers and at road crossings along the way.

This is not only useful for the speed hiker, but also for someone doing a traditional hike that just wants to minimize the time and effort of resupply.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 13:00
This is not only useful for the speed hiker, but also for someone doing a traditional hike that just wants to minimize the time and effort of resupply.

EXACTLY! Efficiency is not limited to the record setter.

Driver8
08-09-2013, 13:03
Driver- Jen's book is "Called Again"- came out not too long ago. I'd suggest a read. She got better and steadier food for sure. She may have stayed in less hotels/hostels than Matt, otherwise her "mobile camping arrangement" was the same as we all use- a tent or shelter. It is possible that she took less showers than Matt. Her crew- her husband and up to two friends at a time. Brew (her husband) is the guy in the white t-shirt in the finish photos. The nutritional study would be interesting indeed. ...

Thanks, JB, for your helpful post. I followed Jen's hike two years ago day by day from Brew's posts and we batted it around a lot here at WB. I don't remember the hike in detail, but I do recall some days where Jen stayed at motels, and iirc they had some sort of camper with them. I've peeked at the book - it looks to be Brew journal for the most part, am I right? Or did she publish something from her own pen in addition to the diary book from the hike?

The best answer to differentiating between her style of highly supported hike and Matt's self-supported effort would be for someone to do both - he seems the more likely candidate, as I doubt Jen and Brew would want to be apart for two months, and they have a baby moreover. If Matt did the Jen-style hike in the next couple years, it would show the time difference between the two approaches, mindful that weather and other factors inevitably introduce some variance even with precisely the same hiker, which, at a year's or two's remove, Matt wouldn't be, per se, anyhow. But it would be the best available approximation. It would be interesting to see.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 13:18
Brew's book is the one you are thinking of- "46 days". "Called Again" was penned by Jen. Picks up where Odyssa left off and follows her to the finish. When my wife finishes reading it (probably this winter) I may dig into a comparison more- but no RV- just their SUV. The biggest thing Jen did differently was to stay on the trail as much as possible (as opposed to previous supported attempts). Can't tell you nights in town vs. Matt- but it was definitely close. Jen rarely slept off trail, bout as often as a normal hiker would. The biggest difference between her and Matt would be food- quantity and quality. Don't know his starting weight, but he lost a lot. He'd probably enjoy an extra half hour a day saved in chores, and a few hours per resupply.

Stands to reason that given support Matt could go faster. Will he try it- who knows. Best candidate- absolutely. But each of them picked the style they were interested in, I would speculate they don't have the desire to try it the other way. Would be fun for us nerds to watch though.

Malto
08-09-2013, 13:34
I have an idea. Lets get a Kickstarter project going to pay for Anish hike the AT NoBo unsupported then turn around and hike SoBo supported. It would answer the following:
1) AT vs. PCT (unsupported, same hiker)
2) NoBo vs SoBo unsupported (different hikers. But Anish would be doing it the "hard way")
3) It would be a yoyo and set the record for that.
4) it would be the ultimate race on the return, Anish vs Jen.

anyone want to throw in a 20.

RCBear
08-09-2013, 13:51
As someone mentioned earlier, we can all benefit from this type of record attempt. Learn better efficiency techniques, helping us define our limits and maybe expanding them. Kind of like how consumer products such as cars benefit from their big brother racing teams pushing their limits. All good stuff indeed.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

derekthered
08-09-2013, 14:27
A nice account of Matt's hike by Jenn Pharr Davis. Congrats Matt!

http://blueridgehikingco.com/matt-kirk/

Driver8
08-09-2013, 17:06
A nice account of Matt's hike by Jenn Pharr Davis. Congrats Matt!

http://blueridgehikingco.com/matt-kirk/

Superb write-up by Jen. It doesn't get better than that.

rocketsocks
08-09-2013, 18:08

I don't think Mr. Kirk went into this not knowing who the players were, what exactly they've accomplished in the past, and what it would mean to best any records...this is nothing new, the rhetoric has existed for years...it's part of the appeal, the draw, the drive, and does not distract one bit form a job well done...in my humble opinion.

and there's nothing inane about defining parameters...it's right at the heart of the issue...and always has been.

RCBear...you did say us...a couple times, my apologies for for quoting you (singling you out) on our differing opinions.

matthew.d.kirk
08-09-2013, 18:31
Superb write-up by Jen. It doesn't get better than that.

Agreed. Thanks to Jen for such kind words. I was deeply honored and moved to tears upon reading her post. I must admit that I was also nearly brought to tears (laughing) as I spent a good bit of time trying to catch up on this and other threads (not quite there yet). Thanks to all you Whiteblazers for your interest in my hike. Having also been a spectator of such hikes, I understand the demand for more information and intend to post a detailed account of my journey, but it will take some time. However, at this time I have posted a link to the resupply itinerary I started with (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About) as well as photos from my camera (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/Photos). I hope you enjoy them and thanks again!

hikerboy57
08-09-2013, 18:34
thanks for giving us something to cheer about matt. its been a great run. congratulations

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 18:53
Thought you'd still be eating! Congrats and thanks for stopping by.

RCBear
08-09-2013, 19:20
RCBear...you did say us...a couple times, my apologies for for quoting you (singling you out) on our differing opinions.

None needed from you rocket. For the record my post was not in reference to your reply to me :) it was more in response to some of the earlier posts that I felt went beyond the spirit of sportsmanship. Good natured ribbing is is part of that spirit. We all learn from each other. You have good stuff to offer and i benefit from it. It's what keeps me coming back!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Driver8
08-09-2013, 19:43
Agreed. Thanks to Jen for such kind words. I was deeply honored and moved to tears upon reading her post. I must admit that I was also nearly brought to tears (laughing) as I spent a good bit of time trying to catch up on this and other threads (not quite there yet). Thanks to all you Whiteblazers for your interest in my hike. Having also been a spectator of such hikes, I understand the demand for more information and intend to post a detailed account of my journey, but it will take some time. However, at this time I have posted a link to the resupply itinerary I started with (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About) as well as photos from my camera (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/Photos). I hope you enjoy them and thanks again!

Matt! Congrats, man! So proud and pleased for you. Hope you're getting plenty of rest and lots of tasty food. And I'm interested to know - are you in the "I don't care if I don't see that trail again for a good while" mode now, or in the "Itching to get back out there" frame of mind. Or do you cycle between the two? I think I can speak for everyone when I say I look forward to seeing your pics and reading more from you about your adventure.

Again, congratulations and many happy returns.

Driver8
08-09-2013, 19:46
I have an idea. Lets get a Kickstarter project going to pay for Anish hike the AT NoBo unsupported then turn around and hike SoBo supported. It would answer the following:
1) AT vs. PCT (unsupported, same hiker)
2) NoBo vs SoBo unsupported (different hikers. But Anish would be doing it the "hard way")
3) It would be a yoyo and set the record for that.
4) it would be the ultimate race on the return, Anish vs Jen.

anyone want to throw in a 20.

Love the way you think, Malto. :)

jersey joe
08-09-2013, 19:50
Some really great photos Matt. Even some proof in there that you actually did stop to smell the flowers! ;)
Pretty cool that there is a picture on top of Springer with the current supported and unsupported record holders.

Curious, did you use your phone to take these pictures? And how did you recharge your phone battery?
Maybe just write a book and sell us the answers...:)

JustaTouron
08-09-2013, 19:51

Congrats on your hike. I gotta question for ya: I don't see a camera listed on your gear list, just a cell phone. Did those pictures come from your cell. Cause they are great photos for a phone, if so what model phone?

Driver8
08-09-2013, 20:04
Congrats on your hike. I gotta question for ya: I don't see a camera listed on your gear list, just a cell phone. Did those pictures come from your cell. Cause they are great photos for a phone, if so what model phone?

Yes, great pics. And Matt, if you used an iPhone, did you use a battery pack case such as a Mophie? If so, you'd be a great endorser for them.

map man
08-09-2013, 20:50

I really enjoyed looking at the PLANNED itinerary that Matt links to here. It shows that he made a plan for a 59 day hike, got a day behind that plan when he took 5 days instead of 4 to get from Gorham to Norwich, stayed about a day behind the rest of the way, before he made up that day between Hot Springs and Springer at the end, partially by hiking through the night between days 58 and 59. He also did a fair amount of adapting on the fly, and that flexibility I'm sure was partially responsible for his success.

Thanks for making this stuff available, Matt!

Malto
08-09-2013, 21:19
I really enjoyed looking at the PLANNED itinerary that Matt links to here. It shows that he made a plan for a 59 day hike, got a day behind that plan when he took 5 days instead of 4 to get from Gorham to Norwich, stayed about a day behind the rest of the way, before he made up that day between Hot Springs and Springer at the end, partially by hiking through the night between days 58 and 59. He also did a fair amount of adapting on the fly, and that flexibility I'm sure was partially responsible for his success.

Thanks for making this stuff available, Matt!

And who says you can't keep a schedule?

Matt,
i know you are still fresh off the trail but here's the question. You came in pretty much right on schedule. If you would have planned for a <58 day schedule could you have pushed it a bit harder. Said another way, you laid out a <60 schedule and hit it. Would you still have been able to hit the schedule if had been set at <58? Bonus question, if you were to do it again, did you learn anything on this trip that would allow you to push the limits further on a repeat.

Sly
08-09-2013, 21:39
Matt, congratulations sir, well done, great hike and resupply strategy!

I have a question, there's been discussion that SOBO is the best direction to set/break speed records, and the last few successful attempts have indeed, been SOBO. The only reasoning to date is that northern NE is tougher trail. A few, including myself, don't necessary believe it to be a negligible factor. That will, and proper planning/pacing can overcome such perceived disadvantage, and that you're going to be hiking the trail, tough and easy, regardless of direction.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 21:59
Sweet flying lord Jebus- give the fella a pat on the back and buy him a beer first.

full conditions
08-09-2013, 22:15
Matt, congratulations sir, well done, great hike and resupply strategy!

I have a question, there's been discussion that SOBO is the best direction to set/break speed records, and the last few successful attempts have indeed, been SOBO. The only reasoning to date is that northern NE is tougher trail. A few, including myself, don't necessary believe it to be a negligible factor. That will, and proper planning/pacing can overcome such perceived disadvantage, and that you're going to be hiking the trail, tough and easy, regardless of direction.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
I'm sure that paragraph made sense in the original German .....but...now what...?

hobbs
08-09-2013, 23:45
Congrats Matt!! Sly asked the question I was thinking of asking since we all would like to know..

Sly
08-10-2013, 00:08
Sweet flying lord Jebus- give the fella a pat on the back and buy him a beer first.

I did give him a pat on the back. The beer will have to wait until I meet him. If he never answers it's OK by me. :sun

James GAME2009
08-10-2013, 01:13
Matt, Congratulations! I have followed your hike every day since before you started. Watching the videos each day and following you along was great. I know how physically and mentally demanding this hike was and I am sincerely impressed by it. I chose to not get wrapped up in the madness of this thread (although I did follow it...can't believe some of these people), but wanted to jump in and congratulate you. Well done!

Just Bill
08-10-2013, 08:44
I did give him a pat on the back. The beer will have to wait until I meet him. If he never answers it's OK by me. :sun

LOL, I know- got back from the bar and it looked like you guys charged him with solving every controversy ever to exist. It's been two days or so, here's the kinda probing questions we should be asking;

1- Have your feet swollen up like sausages now that you are not walking; and if so- do you have a laptop to use or are you forced to sit painfully upright while you post photos?

2-How's the knee; did you walk it off? Any other injuries you have to get checked out- or just rest and food needed to get you back in to your new shape? If you turn your head just right- can you hide from sight behind a basketball pole now?

3-If I did buy you a beer, would one beer knock you on your ass? Bonus question- what's your favorite beer?

4-If you were to fall on your ass, is there anything there besides skin and sinew to fall on?

5-Do you got some time to relax- or do you gotta get back to that new job ASAP?

6-Did you get a chance to see your wife? Is your dog pissed? You got somewhere to live?

7-Does the smell of coconut oil make you vomit?

8-With such curly hair and curly beard- do you have to pay extra money to get your hair cut? And will you be charged double to get cleaned up after this hike?

9-You getting the shakes or any other goofy things? You still springing outta bed and trying to walk or are you settling in?

10-Finally- I'm sure the answer is no, but have you had a chance to absorb/comprehend/appreciate what a R****ING AWESOME UNBELIEVABLE HIKE you just pulled off?

matthew.d.kirk
08-10-2013, 10:44
RE camera: The camera/phone I used was a Samsung Convoy 2. Nothing fancy, but I'm pleased with the photos that the 3.2 MP camera took. I carried the shortest length USB cable and lightest weight wall charger I could find as well as an extra battery.

RE <58: Is it possible? Definitely. Did I learn things to push the limits further? Definitely. I believe I'll leave that challenge to the next person. I'm just extremely thankful and happy to have achieved my goal of <60.

RE NOBO v. SOBO: a bit of a brainstorm on the pros/cons of each direction (from back in January) can be found here (http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2013/01/9.html). I think there is a definite physical and mental advantage of getting through ME and NH early on. However, I believe you're right that there are more important factors than direction.

RE James: Thanks!

RE Just Bill: Thanks for the laughs. Feet are slightly swollen, but the knee is good, seemed to heal on the trail. I'm experiencing general fatigue, but have been walking/jogging a bit each day to get the blood flowing. Since I'm still rehydrating, I'm partial to the pilsners. I'm hoping that just rest and food will get me back to normal health. I'm fortunate that I do have a couple weeks before starting work and am currently visiting with my parents. The dog is here, but unfortunately Lily is still in CA. I will be house/apartment hunting soon. Coconut oil is awesome (try dipping a Clif Builders Bar in coconut oil on the trail. Almost tastes like a DQ Blizzard...) Judging by the appearance of most adult males in the Asheville area, there may be no need for a shearing. We'll see...

Deer Hunter
08-10-2013, 11:10

Nice pictures and congratulations.

HikerMom58
08-10-2013, 11:15
Matt, Congratulations! I have followed your hike every day since before you started. Watching the videos each day and following you along was great. I know how physically and mentally demanding this hike was and I am sincerely impressed by it. I chose to not get wrapped up in the madness of this thread (although I did follow it...can't believe some of these people), but wanted to jump in and congratulate you. Well done!''

Smart man!! I add my Congrats to you Matt, as well!! :)

stranger
08-10-2013, 12:39
Amazing hike Matt...37 miles per day average, that's so huge! I think your hike demonstrated both confidence and patience, very cool to witness from the laptop!

Jeff
08-10-2013, 15:39
Wonder if Squeaky is aware of all this? After completing the triple crown in a calendar year, he planned an attempt at Ward Leonards record but prehike injuries postponed that.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2013, 15:42
Amazing hike Matt...37 miles per day average, that's so huge! I think your hike demonstrated both confidence and patience, very cool to witness from the laptop!

Wonder if Squeaky is aware of all this? After completing the triple crown in a calendar year, he planned an attempt at Ward Leonards record but prehike injuries postponed that.That's alright, now he just has to average 37.1 MPD:D

Odd Man Out
08-11-2013, 08:45
That's alright, now he just has to average 37.1 MPD:D

Actually hiking 2185.9 miles in 58.4 days comes out to 37.4 MPD
Also, if you add the 8.8 miles he hiked off trail for resupply, it comes out to 37.6.

Congratulations Matt!

Sly
08-11-2013, 10:24
Wonder if Squeaky is aware of all this? After completing the triple crown in a calendar year, he planned an attempt at Ward Leonards record but prehike injuries postponed that.

"In a calendar year" is kind of misleading (and IMO, a stupid criteria to boot). He actually hiked the Triple Crown in 8 months.

max patch
08-11-2013, 10:27
Also, if you add the 8.8 miles he hiked off trail for resupply,

Thats an amazing stat right there. Excellent planning.

Sly
08-11-2013, 10:30
RE NOBO v. SOBO: a bit of a brainstorm on the pros/cons of each direction (from back in January) can be found here (http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2013/01/9.html). I think there is a definite physical and mental advantage of getting through ME and NH early on. However, I believe you're right that there are more important factors than direction.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I owe you a beer!

Just Bill
08-11-2013, 10:46

When you're up for it- looks like you changed your mind somewhere along the way... From There- "So, NOBO is currently winning out, but Iím open to feedback in case thereís something I (probably) missed"

jeffmeh
08-11-2013, 11:05
Congratulations again Matt. I very much enjoyed following your experience.

matthew.d.kirk
08-12-2013, 07:02
Jeffmeh (Odd Man Out and others): thanks for the awesome data visualization. To clarify: I had a ~3 hour stopover (from 1 AM to 4 AM) at Low Gap Shelter on the last day, which allowed me a little reprieve from a downpour that was difficult to night hike through. So I'm counting this milepost as the break in daily mileage. I would like to use one of your graphics in a forthcoming report if that is okay. Please let me know.

Just Bill: Besides being told that SOBO was "all downhill", the honest truth, which some may hard to believe: one of the primary incentives of hiking SOBO was the thought that I could at least enjoy some exotic hiking of ME/NH before bailing. I perhaps gave myself less of a chance of completing the journey than Lone Wolf...

I'll have limited access to internet over the course of the next several days, but I'll try to check back in when I can. Thanks again.

jeffmeh
08-12-2013, 10:20
Jeffmeh (Odd Man Out and others): thanks for the awesome data visualization. To clarify: I had a ~3 hour stopover (from 1 AM to 4 AM) at Low Gap Shelter on the last day, which allowed me a little reprieve from a downpour that was difficult to night hike through. So I'm counting this milepost as the break in daily mileage. I would like to use one of your graphics in a forthcoming report if that is okay. Please let me know.

Just Bill: Besides being told that SOBO was "all downhill", the honest truth, which some may hard to believe: one of the primary incentives of hiking SOBO was the thought that I could at least enjoy some exotic hiking of ME/NH before bailing. I perhaps gave myself less of a chance of completing the journey than Lone Wolf...

I'll have limited access to internet over the course of the next several days, but I'll try to check back in when I can. Thanks again.

You are quite welcome.

Regarding your clarification around Low Gap Shelter, are you stating that for days 58 and 59 you hiked 43.1 and 43.2 miles respectively, rather than 54.6 and 31.7?

Feel free to use any graphic that I have put together. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would be more than happy to do a bit of "tweaking" to put it into a form that appeals to you. PM me if you like.

TOW
08-12-2013, 10:49

excellent photo essay matt...

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 11:18
excellent photo essay matt...

It sure was... :)

matthew.d.kirk
08-12-2013, 11:34
Jeffmeh: correct, that's how I break it down in my head although your splits may be more accurate considering each day began at 9:42 AM. But I guess that could change all the other daily mileage as well. I will PM you.

TOW: Thanks, and I enjoyed our chat in Damascus. I wish you well on your journey.

To whomever: I will be getting interviewed for a publication and my interviewer and I are interested in collecting questions from those interested in the hike. This interview may be happening today, so there is little time to do this, but if you read this post and have a question you'd like answered regarding the hike, let me know! Sorry for the late notice. Thanks.

Odd Man Out
08-12-2013, 12:25
I updated the last two days. There was also some confusion about the mileages for days 1 and 2. Otherwise you were remarkably consistent with giving updates on overnight destinations.

Day
Destination
Total Miles
Daily Miles
Mean MPD
Miles To Go
MPD Needed
Linear Target
Off Linear Target

Baxter Peak

Wadleigh Stream Lean-to?, ME

Logan Brook Lean-to, ME

Leeman Brook Lean-to, ME

Caratunk, ME

Horn's Pond Lean-to, ME

Piazza Rock Lean-to, ME

Frye Notch Lean-to?, ME

Gorham, NH

Osgood Capsite, NH

Zealand Falls Hut, NH

Lonesome Lake Hut, NH

0.7 mi S of NH 25A, NH

Norwich, VT

2.3 mi N of Stony Brook Shelter, VT

2.0 mi N of VT 140, VT

2.8mi N of Stratton Pond, VT

Congdon Shelter, VT

Dalton, MA

Mount Wilcox South Lean-to, MA

3.5 mi N of US 7, CT

0.7 mi S of NY-CT border, NY

8.2 mi N of US 9, NY

2.2 mi S of NY 17, NY

Murray Property, NJ

1.1 mi N of Camp Road, NJ

9.8 mi S of PA 33, PA

12.9 mi N of Port Clinton, PA

4.1 mi S of PA 501, PA

The Doyle, Duncannon, PA

0.7 mi N of PA 94, PA

Tumbling Run Shelters, PA

3 mi S of US alt 40, MD

Bear's Den Hostel, VA

Tom Floyd Wayside, VA

1.2 mi N or Big Meadows Wayside, VA

Blackrock Hut, VA

0.3 mi S of VA 664, VA

6.2 mi S of US 60, VA

1.5 mi N of Cornelius Creek Shelter, VA

Daleville, VA

VA 620, VA

4.6 mi S of VA 635, VA

7.7 mi N of VA 606, VA

7.8 mi S of VA 615, VA

Chatfield Shelter, VA

Wise Shelter, VA

Damascus, VA

Watauga Lake Shelter, TN

1.1 mi S of US19E, TN

8.4 mi S of NC 226, NC

Hogback Ridge Shelter, NC

Hot Springs, NC

0.9 mi S of I40, TN

7.7 mi N of US 441, NC

Cable Gap Shelter, NC

Cold Spring Shelter, NC

Standing Indian Shelter, NC

Low Gap Shelter, GA

Springer Mountain, GA

max patch
08-12-2013, 12:35
Matt, a lot of people on this site got their panties in a wad when LW outed you in Damascus. Comment?

jeffmeh
08-12-2013, 12:40
Thanks again to Odd Man Out for providing me the data. I did change the last two days, and forwarded my copy of the spreadsheet with the charts to Matt. I also gave myself credit for the chart with a "shameless plug," lol.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 13:20
Matt, a lot of people on this site got their panties in a wad when LW outed you in Damascus. Comment?

i didn't know his whereabouts was suppose to be closeted :rolleyes:

max patch
08-12-2013, 13:42
I didn't have an issue with the outing.

Obviously, no one snuck up on him in his tent in the middle of night and beat him up.

Did he have a lot of supporters show up after Damascus with trail magic at trail heads?

Just wondering if he cared one way or the other.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 14:15
Thanks again to Odd Man Out for providing me the data. I did change the last two days, and forwarded my copy of the spreadsheet with the charts to Matt. I also gave myself credit for the chart with a "shameless plug," lol.

I was looking at your chart and noticed one day was really out of whack and much less miles than the rest looked like he took a zero, and started wondering what could have happened to cause that....then I looked over at the scale and realized it wasn't a zero but 23 miles.

That is what I do on a long weekend if I am ambitious want to push myself.

Wow, just wow.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 14:51

Great question, max patch!!

MuddyWaters
08-12-2013, 21:53
Congratulations Mr. Kirk!

And especially, a huge thank you for sharing your hike with the AT community in semi-real time.

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:56
matt-most importantly-

we've got a bet goin here and im bettin you smelled the flowers,didnt you?

its been great following along.thanks for coming back and sharing

MkBibble
08-13-2013, 11:03
I was looking at your chart and noticed one day was really out of whack and much less miles than the rest looked like he took a zero, and started wondering what could have happened to cause that....then I looked over at the scale and realized it wasn't a zero but 23 miles. Sort of puts things in perspective! My longest day so far was from Cheoah Bald to Fontana Dam - 21.3 miles! And, I was beat...

matthew.d.kirk
08-13-2013, 16:16
Odd Man Out, this spreadsheet looks fantastic. Sorry for any confusion. Regarding the first day's destination: as I recall, I camped about 3 miles south of Rainbow Stream Lean-to and regarding day 7, I did in fact reach Frye Notch Lean-to for the night. So I went ahead and changed the day 1 and removed the "?" on day 7. on my copy of this spreadsheet (and the quoted copy below). Please check these numbers. I disposed of my AWOL guidebook pages as I hiked south, so I'm relying on data from http://www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com/). Thanks again.

I updated the last two days. There was also some confusion about the mileages for days 1 and 2. Otherwise you were remarkably consistent with giving updates on overnight destinations.

Day
Destination
Total Miles
Daily Miles
Mean MPD
Miles To Go
MPD Needed
Linear Target
Off Linear Target

Baxter Peak

3.0 mi S of Rainbow Stream Lean-to, ME

Logan Brook Lean-to, ME

Leeman Brook Lean-to, ME

Caratunk, ME

Horn's Pond Lean-to, ME

Piazza Rock Lean-to, ME

Frye Notch Lean-to, ME

Gorham, NH

Osgood Capsite, NH

Zealand Falls Hut, NH

Lonesome Lake Hut, NH

0.7 mi S of NH 25A, NH

Norwich, VT

2.3 mi N of Stony Brook Shelter, VT

2.0 mi N of VT 140, VT

2.8mi N of Stratton Pond, VT

Congdon Shelter, VT

Dalton, MA

Mount Wilcox South Lean-to, MA

3.5 mi N of US 7, CT

0.7 mi S of NY-CT border, NY

8.2 mi N of US 9, NY

2.2 mi S of NY 17, NY

Murray Property, NJ

1.1 mi N of Camp Road, NJ

9.8 mi S of PA 33, PA

12.9 mi N of Port Clinton, PA

4.1 mi S of PA 501, PA

The Doyle, Duncannon, PA

0.7 mi N of PA 94, PA

Tumbling Run Shelters, PA

3 mi S of US alt 40, MD

Bear's Den Hostel, VA

Tom Floyd Wayside, VA

1.2 mi N or Big Meadows Wayside, VA

Blackrock Hut, VA

0.3 mi S of VA 664, VA

6.2 mi S of US 60, VA

1.5 mi N of Cornelius Creek Shelter, VA

Daleville, VA

VA 620, VA

4.6 mi S of VA 635, VA

7.7 mi N of VA 606, VA

7.8 mi S of VA 615, VA

Chatfield Shelter, VA

Wise Shelter, VA

Damascus, VA

Watauga Lake Shelter, TN

1.1 mi S of US19E, TN

8.4 mi S of NC 226, NC

Hogback Ridge Shelter, NC

Hot Springs, NC

0.9 mi S of I40, TN

7.7 mi N of US 441, NC

Cable Gap Shelter, NC

Cold Spring Shelter, NC

Standing Indian Shelter, NC

Low Gap Shelter, GA

Springer Mountain, GA

Odd Man Out
08-13-2013, 16:49
Odd Man Out, this spreadsheet looks fantastic. Sorry for any confusion. Regarding the first day's destination: as I recall, I camped about 3 miles south of Rainbow Stream Lean-to and regarding day 7, I did in fact reach Frye Notch Lean-to for the night. So I went ahead and changed the day 1 and removed the "?" on day 7. on my copy of this spreadsheet (and the quoted copy below). Please check these numbers. I disposed of my AWOL guidebook pages as I hiked south, so I'm relying on data from http://www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com/). Thanks again.

Yes looks good. I was impressed that every time you gave an update while still hiking, you would give that day's final destination on the following day's update (with just those two exceptions early on). I wondered if you were doing your video updates with cue cards or working from memory since your distances were always spot on, down to the tenth of a mile.

matthew.d.kirk
08-13-2013, 17:05
Yes looks good. I was impressed that every time you gave an update while still hiking, you would give that day's final destination on the following day's update (with just those two exceptions early on). I wondered if you were doing your video updates with cue cards or working from memory since your distances were always spot on, down to the tenth of a mile.

It definitely got fuzzier the further I hiked! I think you can spot me cheating and referring to my guidebook pages on a couple occasions.

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 17:47
Hey Matt, hope your healing up nicely.

I just spoke with a couple of my sons buddy's who are off to collage on a free ride, both long distance runners. I told them I was following your hike on the internet...they both said "Yeah, I've heard of that dude" Just thought I'd pass that along...cheers!

Just Bill
08-14-2013, 08:32

Just for the record, though I wear a skirt I don't wear panties- it would defeat the purpose of the skirts anti-crotch bunching properties. Not to make a serious issue into an "I told you so" but Anish is having a little trouble with this issue at the moment.

Anywho- Good Question for Matt. Just in case you missed the reference (you know cause you were hiking or something) We had a debate about keeping your location secret, even though a few folks had figured out where you were and could use your videos at that point to project where you were at. Matt- Two options for you- read the whole scandalous affair http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97163-Privacy-on-a-Speed-hike or talk to your buddy Thrower-he weighed in on the thread.

Did you say you scored an interview? Are you achieving moderate fame and fortune? I'd be happy to send you $5 so you could say you did obtain both. Seriously- I hope you do get some recognition, and next you talk to Jen, ask her who we have to harass to get you named National Geographic Explorer of the Year. Although you are not as pretty as Andrew or Jen- your legs are equally long and lean, and you deserve it.

jeffmeh
08-14-2013, 09:01
Updated with Matt's updated mileage from Day 1:

ScottS
08-14-2013, 11:28
Congrats. Really incredible.
As others said, really cool that you're making public all your mileage, etc.

Sly
08-14-2013, 13:57
Not to make a serious issue into an "I told you so" but Anish is having a little trouble with this issue at the moment.

Only because a few meatheads sitting at their desks felt she received too much trail magic. People still needed to figure out where Anish would be at any given time. On a trail as remote as the PCT, that's easier said than done.

jeffmeh
08-14-2013, 14:16
Only because a few meatheads sitting at their desks felt she received too much trail magic. People still needed to figure out where Anish would be at any given time. On a trail as remote as the PCT, that's easier said than done.

Here's one meathead at a desk that finds this to be a tough one. It certainly appears that certain folks pre-arranged trail magic for her, whether or not she was complicit in the pre-arrangement. I think her best bet is to fully disclose the trail magic she received, and make the case that she did not carry less based upon an expectation of trail magic, and that she did not change her resupply logistics based upon receiving trail magic. If she meets those criteria, I think she can claim a self-supported hike, although she is certainly in a gray area that foregoing trail magic would have removed.

OT: I'm still having WB lock up when posting, losing my post, with IE9. I am routinely copying and pasting in WordPad prior to hitting "submit." And no, telling me to switch browsers is not an adequate solution. ;)

Mags
08-14-2013, 16:01
OT: I'm still having WB lock up when posting, losing my post, with IE9. I am routinely copying and pasting in WordPad prior to hitting "submit." And no, telling me to switch browsers is not an adequate solution. ;)

Besides clearing your cache (always the first thing) (http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141), you should try compatibility mode in IE9
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/compatibility-view

Much software is still best run in IE7 or IE8 (or get a another browser! :D)

Sly
08-14-2013, 19:25
Here's one meathead at a desk that finds this to be a tough one. It certainly appears that certain folks pre-arranged trail magic for her, whether or not she was complicit in the pre-arrangement. I think her best bet is to fully disclose the trail magic she received, and make the case that she did not carry less based upon an expectation of trail magic, and that she did not change her resupply logistics based upon receiving trail magic. If she meets those criteria, I think she can claim a self-supported hike, although she is certainly in a gray area that foregoing trail magic would have removed.

You may as well come out and call Anish a liar. And who are you to demand anything of her? Make her case in a jury of her peers?

I'm pretty sure Anish wasn't complicit and cheating from the beginning in order to break a record that held no reward. I also don't think she was willing to risk not getting through a section without enough food in the hopes someone would bring her some. Most prudent PCT hikers don't even depend on known water caches.

Who are the certain folk, do you even know their names, where they met Anish and what they brought her? Otherwise, it's pure speculation.

Tundra
08-14-2013, 19:35
I agree with Sly. Leave her alone and worry about yourself. Trail magic is planned by the trail angel not the hiker.

canoe
08-14-2013, 22:09
You may as well come out and call Anish a liar. And who are you to demand anything of her? Make her case in a jury of her peers?

I'm pretty sure Anish wasn't complicit and cheating from the beginning in order to break a record that held no reward. I also don't think she was willing to risk not getting through a section without enough food in the hopes someone would bring her some. Most prudent PCT hikers don't even depend on known water caches.

Who are the certain folk, do you even know their names, where they met Anish and what they brought her? Otherwise, it's pure speculation.

Yep you called yourself a meathead.

Thankyou Sly... and thanku tundra

jeffmeh
08-15-2013, 07:16
I didn't demand anything of her, nor did I call her a liar, nor am I doing anything that is not "leaving her alone." I merely pointed out that, IN MY OPINION, trail magic opens up a gray area, and suggested that there are things that she might do to address the issue that has been brought up by the skeptics.

Personally, I think her accomplishment is incredible.

Sly
08-15-2013, 11:11
jeffmeh, I apologize for being quick to criticize and sounding so harsh.

Those who set the records make the rules. Scott, Tatoo Joe and Adam had no problem accepting trail magic or using caches.

The PCT is usually done in typical thru-hiker style, which we would classify as "self-supported" -- rather than having a dedicated support crew, the hiker may use mail drops, facillities in towns along the way, and the kindness of strangers. Technically, any pre-arranged support such as friends meeting you along the trail with supplies would be considered "supported". Scott Williamson (http://team.inov-8.us/2009/02/scott-williamson.html) and Joe Kisner previously held the record for the fastest thru-hiker-style (which they call "unassisted") trip on the PCT at 71d2h41m, set June 8 - August 18, 2008. Here (http://pacificcresttrail.blogspot.com/2008/08/pair-make-hasty-work-of-pct-trek-with.html) is a brief write-up on their trip. They beat Kisner's record of 79d21h42m, set in 2007.

In a break-through feat of speed backpacking to that date, Scott Williamson & Adam Bradley surpassed not only the thru-hiker PCT record, but also Horton's fully supported record, by hiking the trail in 65d9h58m from June 8 to August 12, 2009. The pair did not use a vehicle at any time during the trip (backpackers typically hitch hike from the trail to some of the resupply points), adding about 20 miles to the trip. Williamson, who has now hiked the PCT a staggering 12 times, posted a brief summary on the Team Inov8 website (http://team.inov-8.us/2009/08/david-hortons-pct-speed-record-broken.html), which reads as follows:

On 8/12 at 9:58 PM Adam Bradley and I arrived at the northern terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail, 65 days, 9 hours, and 58 minutes after leaving the Mexican border having averaged 40.5 miles a day. We have broken David Horton's record by about 21 hours, the old record being 66 days, 7 hours, 16 minutes. This was the culmination of a dream that we started on June 8Th at 12 PM. We broke this record as backpackers without any outside assistance, doing the trail as backpackers picking up prepacked boxes of food in towns along the tail. In addition we did not use any vehicles at all during our journey, but instead chose to walk into and out of all of our resupply towns which added over 20 miles of walking to the already difficult 2655.4 mile distance we were trying to cover. In the course of going after and breaking David's record I have gained even more respect for him as an athlete setting the record he did in 2005 which was a much higher snow year and thus more difficult year for a speed record than what we had. My feet held up well and the flyrocks performed well. I ended up losing about 25 pounds during the course of the trip and although I do feel somewhat run down overall feel happy to have made it to the finish after battling the flu and non stop 45 degree rain during the last six days of the hike. I will post more once settled back into the off trail life. For now I am happy to report that we met our goal and now hold the all out overall Pacific Crest Trail speed record. -- Scott Williamson, 15 August 2009.

Bradley provided some additional information, stressing the importance of staying on the true PCT in any speed record attemp:

One thing I would like to stress as well for anyone that hopes to challenge the record is that they need to be on the PCT every step of the way. In 2005 when Horton ran the PCT he took the detour around Glacier Peak where Scott and I didn't. This is significant as it takes a road out of the equation (no resupply for runners) and adds 10 miles of old growth blow down to crawl over. In addition about 5-6 glacial melt streams that must be forded. There is no doubt in my mind this adds significant difficulty over the reroute road option. Also in the past some of the PCT speed records have taken alternates to avoid fires etc. I would stress that Scott and I walked the entire PCT and I think if anyone wants to claim a PCT speed record in the future they would need to be on the PCT for the duration of the trip. -- Adam Bradley

Josh Garrett holds the overall FKT for the PCT, 59d8h59m (supported, south to north), June 10 - August 8, 2013.
Heather Anderson (Anish) set the women's PCT record at 60d17h12m (thru hiker style, south to north), June 8 - August 7, 2013.
Scott Williamson set the men's PCT record at 64d11h19m (thru hiker style, north to south), August 8 - October 11, 2011.
Scott Williamson & Adam Bradley hold the men's self-supported (thru hiker style) south to north record at 65d9h58m, June 8 - August 12, 2009

MkBibble
08-16-2013, 14:00
How can somebody hike the entire AT in just 58 days, 9 hours, and 38 minutes, breaking a 20+ year record in doing so, then post a youtube video of the finish ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0m63Ale1Xc ) and only get 154 views with only THREE likes? How does that happen?

Malto
08-16-2013, 14:46
How can somebody hike the entire AT in just 58 days, 9 hours, and 38 minutes, breaking a 20+ year record in doing so, then post a youtube video of the finish ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0m63Ale1Xc ) and only get 154 views with only THREE likes? How does that happen?

While this is a big deal in the VERY small small AT community, it is a snoozer elsewhere. There really wasn't a typing "special" about this..... It was an accomplished athlete, in great shape, doing his thing, absolutely no disrespect meant by the way. If he was a "lost" person that quit halfway through and was "found" then maybe there would be a "wild" book and movie contract. Go figure.

Ground Control
08-16-2013, 17:56

I hear ya. I actually took the liberty of emailing the news tip to three NC newspaper reporters: one from the Winston-Salem Journal, one to the Greensboro News and Record, and one to the Asheville Citizen-Times. (As a former employee of two of these operations, I am painfully aware of the diminished resources these firms have to gather and report on local news. I figured they could use the help...)

I noticed that the Citizen-Times got something up on their blog within a couple hours of my email, although I have no idea if it came as a result of my news tip. (Here: http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/outdoors/2013/08/09/wnc-hiker-matt-kirk-breaks-at-unsupported-record/ )

Lisa O'Connell of the Winston Salem Journal, who writes AT stories as well as hiking parts of it herself, responded to me via email saying that she would try to get something printed in the next little bit.

I hope that was okay with you, Mr. Kirk. As I pointed out in my email to the reporters, "it seems newsworthy." :)

Lone Wolf
08-16-2013, 18:18

cuz 99.9% of folks in the world have no interest in it?

MkBibble
08-16-2013, 18:43
cuz 99.9% of folks in the world have no interest in it? I think you're a little low there. I'm sure you need more 9s at the end. I understand that, but 145 (154 above was a typo) is almost insulting. He11, there are 550 users on whiteblaze right now!

Pedaling Fool
08-16-2013, 19:18
I think you're a little low there. I'm sure you need more 9s at the end. I understand that, but 145 (154 above was a typo) is almost insulting. He11, there are 550 users on whiteblaze right now!Yeah, but the bulk of them HATE hikers that don't "stop and smell the flowers".
;)

max patch
08-16-2013, 20:37

You inspired the masses...up to 172 views and 7 likes.

I watched the video but didn't "like" it as -- to be totally honest -- the video is pretty boring and there is really no compelling reason to pass it along to friends.

Earlier today I watched a cool video of cat wearing a shark suit riding atop a roomba in someones kitchen. That one got sent along.

Lone Wolf
08-16-2013, 20:41
I think you're a little low there. I'm sure you need more 9s at the end. I understand that, but 145 (154 above was a typo) is almost insulting. He11, there are 550 users on whiteblaze right now!

and most are 12-15 mile per day backpackers that don't care about speed stuff. it's just walkin' really

hikerboy57
08-16-2013, 21:24
You inspired the masses...up to 172 views and 7 likes.

I watched the video but didn't "like" it as -- to be totally honest -- the video is pretty boring and there is really no compelling reason to pass it along to friends.

Earlier today I watched a cool video of cat wearing a shark suit riding atop a roomba in someones kitchen. That one got sent along.
everyone has their own heroes

jersey joe
08-16-2013, 21:59

This is very true...most people I run into have absolutely no clue what a thru-hike even is. How can we expect them to understand what it means to accomplish this in a mere 58 days???

hikerboy57
08-16-2013, 22:05
i think he did it for himself more than for any gold medals. he knows hes won the respect of his peers,much more satisfying.

MuddyWaters
08-16-2013, 22:28

Out of the ~7 billion people in the world, I imagine less than 100,000 have even a passing interest.
Thus 99.9985% dont care at all.

I actually would guess the number really interested might total under 10,000. And most of them would be people that hike long trails in the US in some form or other.. Meaning 99.99985% dont care.

Rasty
08-16-2013, 22:29
i think he did it for himself more than for any gold medals. he knows hes won the respect of his peers,much more satisfying.

He did it for the chicks. Everyone knows they like the haggered starving look.

hikerboy57
08-16-2013, 22:32
people in ny put money in their cups

Rasty
08-16-2013, 22:51
people in ny put money in their cups

My area gives them bus tickets to NYC

MkBibble
08-17-2013, 13:30
My area gives them bus tickets to NYC I got offered a FREE night at a homeless shelter while sleeping in the airport with my pack, waiting for the ticket counter to open.

Spirit Bear
08-17-2013, 14:47
Watching every day update right now, what a way to enjoy doing nothing on a Saturday.

Odd Man Out
08-18-2013, 00:07
Watching every day update right now, what a way to enjoy doing nothing on a Saturday.

I wouldn't say "nothing". You may have just set a new record for the fastest thru hike.

Ground Control
08-25-2013, 08:14
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20130825/ARTICLES/130829904?p=4&tc=pg

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 09:52
Man- I still can't believe Matt wore those shoes the whole time...I can't wear zeros like those for more than 15 miles. Did you work your way up to those Matt, or is it just that beautiful Ashville trail system that keeps your feet happy? I know you swapped in Penn- do you wish you had different shoes in other sections?

155 was your starting weight? Yowza- dropping 15 pounds ain't too bad- but you sure didn't have it to spare!

Great article- grats. Thanks GC for posting it.

matthew.d.kirk
08-25-2013, 18:06
Than did a great job with this article. I must give props to the journalists who contact the people they're writing about.

Bill, regarding the shoes. The model name is NB110s and they have a built in rock plate unlike other minimal shoes, so that may make the difference. Out of the box, I've always felt as though they had sufficient protection for big miles on the trail. The reason why I switched to Salomon shoes in DWG had to do with the fact that my shoes had turned into "shandals." I can't fully endorse the 110s as the uppers blow apart pretty quickly as you can see in the photos on my blog and the sub60 wiki. The main reason I wore these shoes had everything to do with the fact they're lightweight, breathable w/good traction on sale for $40.

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 18:43
Journalists practicing Journalism- odd indeed.;)

I've got a pair of the 100's and 15 miles is my limit, course I don't have a speed record either...Rock plate or not- tough tootsies there fella.

Liked your recent blog posts too- can't wait to hear the rest when you're ready.

halfway quick question- I haven't messed with bleach(I believe that's what you used?) since my scouting days- but on the relatively clean AT? Faster than Aquamira and just as light- seems like a winner but I've never tried it longer than a week. You got me thinking again- how'd you like it overall?

matthew.d.kirk
08-25-2013, 18:53
RE bleach: the Clorox website (http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-concentrated-regular-bleach/?gclid=CKLx4pfWmbkCFZRj7Aod1jwALQ#cloroxregularble ach1concentratedemergencywaterdisinfectionemergenc ywaterdisinfectionemergencywaterdisinfection) has good instructions for the use of bleach as "emergency water treatment." Probably not the best to use for prolonged periods of time and I erred on the side of less bleach (1 drop/1+pint of water) or none at all from some sources, but also suffered no ill effect. Like you said, it's super cheap and convenient.

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 19:01
hmmm- still got the wait time then, but one bottle instead of A,B, and mix is something, hell at one drop one 30ml bottle would go a long way. Water's a little nastier here by me but next time I'm in cleaner country I'll have to try it again.

Socks? Please tell me you had some cushy socks at least...

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 19:07
Also- since Matt don't seem interested in shameless self promotion- here's Matt's blog in case you missed it. Nice finish video and some recent posts- http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/

jeffmeh
08-27-2013, 15:00
jeffmeh, I apologize for being quick to criticize and sounding so harsh.

Those who set the records make the rules. Scott, Tatoo Joe and Adam had no problem accepting trail magic or using caches.

Sly, no worries. Those with thin skins best not tread in internet fora. :)

AngryGerman
09-13-2013, 10:47
"IT'SNOT A COMPETITION! How's he plan to see anything hiking so fast? Hecan't possibly enjoy the trail hiking that way! A baby fawn walks upto him and he'll probably KICK it to the side and keep hurryin' ondown the trail! I don't see the point behind this whole"speed-hiking" craze!"
... there, was thereanything else I missed?

First, the fact that this will behis third thru-hike bears no weight to his claim?! Secondly, thejournal entry posted by the OP has informed us that this gentlemenhas thru-hiked the trail twice and probably has seen everything thatencompasses the trail, more than likely. Thirdly, I read your firstpost and said to self; self, maybe he didn't read the whole post, ormaybe he just didn't comprehend what he was reading. Then I come upon the post quoted above, this leading me to believe the latter istrue and this lad is now taking it upon himself to post ridiculouscomments in response to his lack of comprehension. I get that youlike to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak, but doesthat mean every thru-hiker must, on every thru-hike attempt?! I don't get yourangry, negative comments that really have no sound backing in leadingus to believe that this lad will not accomplish what he proclaimswill be. Why can't he go NOBO? Who cares about the doodle-wasps?! You've even gone as far to say this lad is an "impostor andwannabe". Why? Again, didn't you read the post?
Yes, you may be an old, fat hiker, butyou don't have to be! Nor do you have to blast the folks who believethat their dreams will come true. I understand yours may not havecome true and are bitter, but does that mean his wont and he has tostop dreaming and become fat, old, and all that other BS?
I watched a video on the news lastnight; the video was about a high school basketball player who hadjust one full arm and half of the second. This lad was dunking theball, shooting jump shots, dribbling w/ease, etc. If he was yourson, would you tell him he can't do it because he's crippled and hemight want to quit while he is ahead? If you have time today orwhenever you read this post, if you ever do; I encourage you to sitdown and re-evaluate yourself and the image you have of yourself andthe people w/in your affiliated communities. I then encourage you tofind that inner monologue button and think before you speak and/ortype.
If you've had the wherewithal to makeit to the end of this polite, Angry German, butt-chewing and havesome form of a retort, please feel free to PM me. Let's make it anintelligent response though; otherwise I will not waste my timereading it.
Peace!

AngryGerman
09-13-2013, 10:53
Folks, I apologize about the lack of spacing between some of the words. I understand that this can be confusing thus making it difficult to understand what I've typed. I will try and fix this next post I submit. Thanks!