PDA

View Full Version : Self Supported In Under 60 Days

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

grizzlyadam
12-28-2012, 11:24
I came across a blog post that made me kind of excited the other day. I won't say who wrote it, because I'm sure that person will probably state their intent here when they are ready to do so since they are someone who occasionally posts on these forums.

I know people make these claims all the time these days, but I also know for a fact that if anybody is actually going to do it (has the mental and physical attributes to do it), it is going to be the person who wrote these words:

If the stars happen to align in 2013, that something big will hopefully be a third thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. It will have been six years since my hike in 2007 and twelve since my hike in 2001. With two months off from my current job, I would take this opportunity to attempt a “self-supported” southbound thru-hike in less than sixty days (37 miles/day).

The main purpose of this hike would be to celebrate the challenge of moving fast, light and free along the trail. The “self-supported” guidelines that I would follow are modeled after the walk (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pacific&action=display&thread=29) and talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20iLz0uuoc) of Scott "Bink" Williamson:

Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.
Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.
Follow the official AT route, no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.
Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.
Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.
Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.
Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Malto
12-28-2012, 11:48
Not sure why the mystery. Matt Kirk. Good luck to him

SCRUB HIKER
12-28-2012, 13:30
"Another pretender! He'll never make it! He doesn't understand what 60 days MEANS! Which way's he going? Nobo? Everyone knows you can't do it nobo! Where's he from? Probably some flat state that ain't never seen mountains like we got here in Tennessee! When's he starting? MAY?!?!? This guy doesn't stand a chance. For one thing, the doodle-wasps will be out in force in Hog***** Gap bout that time and it don't take but a few of them fellers stingin' you to knock you off the trail for a couple days. He thinks he can do the Whites in 3 days! Well let me tell you something, I may be an old fat hiker but it took me 10 days to get through there ... 3 days is impossible! This guy's a crock! No respect for the Trail or its history! IMPOSTOR! WANNABE!"

- typical WhiteBlaze response

max patch
12-28-2012, 13:43
At least this guy has hiked the trail before so he has a clue about what he's getting into.

The record is 60.5 days, I don't why he thinks he is the one to break it. I do wish him luck; I have absolutely no interest in "supported" hikes but it sounds like he is going after the unsupported record in an honorable fashion. Good for him; I'd try it myself if I thot I had a chance of doing it.

JAK
12-28-2012, 13:55
I like the guidelines. Makes the resupply logistics interesting also, when you have to tradeoff extra miles vs extra weight and pick and choose your resupply towns. What I might do different would be to not use mail drops, and more days of course.

max patch
12-28-2012, 14:13
"Another pretender! He'll never make it! He doesn't understand what 60 days MEANS! Which way's he going? Nobo? Everyone knows you can't do it nobo! Where's he from? Probably some flat state that ain't never seen mountains like we got here in Tennessee! When's he starting? MAY?!?!? This guy doesn't stand a chance. For one thing, the doodle-wasps will be out in force in Hog***** Gap bout that time and it don't take but a few of them fellers stingin' you to knock you off the trail for a couple days. He thinks he can do the Whites in 3 days! Well let me tell you something, I may be an old fat hiker but it took me 10 days to get through there ... 3 days is impossible! This guy's a crock! No respect for the Trail or its history! IMPOSTOR! WANNABE!"

You forgot the "its not a competition" or some such nonsense.

jeffmeh
12-28-2012, 14:14
I also like the guidelines as a means to minimize ambiguity around what he is looking to accomplish. I wish him luck.

SCRUB HIKER
12-28-2012, 14:48
"IT'S NOT A COMPETITION! How's he plan to see anything hiking so fast? He can't possibly enjoy the trail hiking that way! A baby fawn walks up to him and he'll probably KICK it to the side and keep hurryin' on down the trail! I don't see the point behind this whole "speed-hiking" craze!"

... there, was there anything else I missed?

MDSection12
12-28-2012, 14:56
Whether or not he makes it, this is the first claim of its kind I've seen on here that seems even slightly grounded in reality. I wish him all the best... Records are meant to be broken.:)

Rasty
12-28-2012, 15:01
"IT'S NOT A COMPETITION! How's he plan to see anything hiking so fast? He can't possibly enjoy the trail hiking that way! A baby fawn walks up to him and he'll probably KICK it to the side and keep hurryin' on down the trail! I don't see the point behind this whole "speed-hiking" craze!"

You forgot to make a statement about it not being verified by witnesses! Other then that your doing great!

brian039
12-28-2012, 15:16

This is his 3rd thru-hike so he has more credibility than the typical 18-22 year old first-timer that gets blasted for not knowing what he's getting into.

chief
12-28-2012, 16:56
Just another attention whore.

Rasty
12-28-2012, 17:06
Just another attention whore.

He didn't post it anywhere except his personal blog. Someone else posted it here. That is a little harsh.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2012, 17:34
He didn't post it anywhere except his personal blog. Someone else posted it here. That is a little harsh.

Agreed. It's the ones who announce on a forum like WB and then go on to ask for donations to make it happen which should get knocked down.

Cookerhiker
12-28-2012, 17:35
I wish him well. I'd think the biggest logistical challenge is resupply but he knows the Trail and what it entails. Also he'll have to resist the temptation for any ride offers to/from town.

Bathing in the creeks I guess. Or not at all. There's always the shower at Dahlgren campsite in MD.

Malto
12-28-2012, 17:40
His resupply restrictions have become pretty standard for those doing an unsupported/self supported hike. The AT is likely the ideal trail for resupply vs the other two long trails.

jj2044
12-28-2012, 18:27
I wish him well, i think most WB'ers support people like this guy, he has done it before and knows what he is in for. but i also think most WB'ers are sick of seeing people, who has never done any long distance hiking, running there mouth on how they are going to crush some record and all they need is a little donation from you and when they fail, you never hear a word from them. Again i wish this guy the best of luck.

Violent Green
12-29-2012, 00:20
I've always hoped Matt would give it a shot. Outside of Skurka, I think he has the best shot of anyone else out there. At least on paper he has the experience, will power, and toughness to get it done. Plus a little touch of the crazy always helps. :)

Ryan

atmilkman
12-29-2012, 00:24

I take it he's a friend of yours.

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2012, 10:20
i know my opinion don't mean crap, but at least im not on the trail running and speed hiking forum to worry about someone hiking so fast they won't be able to smell the roses :-) but i personally think there should be a Nobo & a Sobo record, everyone says going sobo is easier for record attempts, so why not give people the credit they deserve like wards record going Nobo. if matt hikes under 60 days(sobo) thats cool but i personally would still like to think ward is also a record holder(nobo) the other thing is this no car thing, im not sure what all hitching on the pct is about, but hitching on the AT is part of the thruhike, a self-supported record attempting hike to me is just like a regular thruhike, just alot faster :-) i don't see where making up a bunch of maildrops ahead of time no matter who mails them to you is any better than hitching into towns with unpre-aranged rides. hitching is always hit or miss anyways? IMO if matt or anyone else pulls off a sub 60 days and did not hitch to towns i agree we might have to add that to the requirements for future attempts but not before hand

Papa D
12-29-2012, 11:24
I really like the guidelines - - I'm a fan of "hike your own hike" but something along these lines should be the "standard" to which thru-hikers gauge their hikes. "hike your own hike, yes" but if you want to call yourself a "thru-hiker" something pretty close to this needs to have been attained (not the mileage, mind you, just the standards). That said, I do have an exception though - - I think that hitch-hiking is a viable, time-tested, and resourceful way to get in and out of towns for re-supply thus avoiding long road walks - - I usually set out to walk to town but sometimes stick my thumb out or am sometimes offered a ride at a trailhead. My thinking here is that if you are hitching, you get your ride by your own wits and it's free (unless you give the driver a dollar or two for gas to be nice) - - this aside, I like the guidelines. I also think a 37 mpd average is quite reasonable for a serious and dedicated hiker that really has (and keeps) their trail legs. This seems like a lot of miles to your average 10 miler per day weekender (just like a sub 3 hour marathon seems completely out of reach to someone that runs a 5K every couple of months) but for someone immersed deeply in the trail, absolutely marathon-runner-fit and who that enjoys waking early and moving steadily all day long at a good clip. The normal day would be 40-41 miles - - this builds in a little time off - - it's really quite attainable.

jeffmeh
12-29-2012, 11:28
Not getting into a vehicle avoids the ambiguity around pre-arranged support, particularly when people learn of his attempt and just "happen" to be on the road at the trailhead with their cars. I like it.

Papa D
12-29-2012, 11:34
Not getting into a vehicle avoids the ambiguity around pre-arranged support, particularly when people learn of his attempt and just "happen" to be on the road at the trailhead with their cars. I like it.

yep - I can see that I suppose. No one will ever likely "hear of my attempt" of anything so I guess I would come upon a ride by more honest happenstance. The other thing is that the road walks would probably equal about 100 miles added to the trip (this adds at least 1 mile per day to the proposed mpd average)- - if he/she re-supplies once every 5 days (assuming a pretty light consumable load), that's 12 road walks at an average of 4+ miles each way (assuming he/she picks the short ones). Some of course, you walk right into town and at that speed, you can be more selective.

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2012, 15:24
Not getting into a vehicle avoids the ambiguity around pre-arranged support, particularly when people learn of his attempt and just "happen" to be on the road at the trailhead with their cars. I like it.i understand where you are coming from, if i was on a record attempt and i strolled out of the woods and someone approached me saying i heard about your hike, thats really cool! can i give you a lift? i would thank them, say no thanks, no pre arranged rides. then i'd start walkin' down the road with my thumb out til i got a ride the right way :-)

Airman
12-29-2012, 18:44
I agree. Don't make any sense to hike without taking it all in.

Malto
12-29-2012, 18:47

And when you do your thru hike you can chose to do it any way that makes sense to you.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 18:49

most traditional thru-hikers don't "take it all in". most are in a rush and focusing on the end

stranger
01-07-2013, 07:40
Sitting around shelters for 5 hours waiting for it to get dark, or sitting in town for 3-4 days isn't taking it in either

Mags
01-07-2013, 11:02
I've always hoped Matt would give it a shot. Outside of Skurka, I think he has the best shot of anyone else out there. At least on paper he has the experience, will power, and toughness to get it done. Plus a little touch of the crazy always helps. :)

Ryan

Pretty sure Andrew has no interest in this point setting a speed record on a traditional trail. He's all about making his own routes.

Sly
01-07-2013, 11:09

maybe the part where we're trying to have a serious conversation and this in't the humor section?

Violent Green
01-09-2013, 14:51
Pretty sure Andrew has no interest in this point setting a speed record on a traditional trail. He's all about making his own routes.

Yeah, I don't think he will try it anytime soon. Heck, he may only do 1-2 more long hikes like his previous ones. I still think he could do it though.

Ryan

JJJ
01-13-2013, 08:07
Go, kirk!!!!

matthew.d.kirk
06-04-2013, 10:49
Go, kirk!!!!

Thanks JJJ and those who chimed in on this thread. I held off on my reply until I was 100% certain my attempt was going to happen...

It looks like it will and this may be one of my last opportunities to get to a computer. With respect to the other hikers who posted their intentions on this forum beforehand, here's mine: http://sub60.wikispaces.com

I will report back on this forum once off the trail one way or another. Until then, happy trails!

-Matt

max patch
06-04-2013, 12:16

He's hiked it twice before. I think he's seen it all.

Props for doing it the right way by actually backpacking the trail and carrying everything.

DavidNH
06-04-2013, 13:05
I'm with Scrubhiker on this .. and by the way Scrub.. I LOVE your writing style! shows local color!

Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!

It's amazing the number of yahoo's this trail attracts.

Gray Blazer
06-04-2013, 14:09
Sounds like a personal challenge. Good luck from all the yahoos at WB.

max patch
06-04-2013, 14:17
Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!

Well, if Ward Leonard could do it 23 years ago...think of all the advances in lightweight equipment since then. And the greater ease in planning such an undertaking that the internet provides. Someone with drive, mental and physical toughness will break the record. Just a matter of time. Is Matt the one? We'll know in a couple months.

MDSection12
06-04-2013, 14:20
It's not a damned competition folks!!!

I don't mountain bike competitively but I still love to push myself and see how much faster I can be today than I was yesterday... I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

The same applies here. To insist that every thru-hiker needs to conduct themself as if they are competing is wrong, but so is telling one hiker he can't. The trail is a stretch of ground that people walk. That's it. What it means to you and how you choose to approach it is entirely up to you. This guy wants to push himself and see if he can achieve a goal... Isn't that the basis of all human endeavors?

He may not accomplish his goal on this hike, but you can bet that someone, someday will break the record. That's how records work; they exist as a bar that people compare themselves to until one day someone says 'I think I can do better' and then a new bar is set. If you don't like that process then that's fine just ignore it, but implying that it's somehow less valuable than whatever it is you do is assanine.

Lybarger
06-04-2013, 14:55
Is there any proof Ward Leonard really did an unsupported hike in 60 days? Or is it an AT legend? Only saying this because the record has stood so long. No one could beat the "record" in the last 20 some years?????

Odd Man Out
06-04-2013, 15:09
Thanks JJJ and those who chimed in on this thread. I held off on my reply until I was 100% certain my attempt was going to happen...

It looks like it will and this may be one of my last opportunities to get to a computer. With respect to the other hikers who posted their intentions on this forum beforehand, here's mine: http://sub60.wikispaces.com

I will report back on this forum once off the trail one way or another. Until then, happy trails!

-Matt

did you have an estimated date of departure?

Malto
06-04-2013, 16:53

why don't you do yourself a favor and keep away from the yahoos by not posting such a dumb comment on a speed hiking forum. Matt is far from some yahoo. And while it may not be a competition for you, others may just want the physical challenge of hiking it fast. I guess maybe we should change HYOH to HYOHUIF (hike your own hike unless its fast.)

Kookork
06-04-2013, 17:21
I'm with Scrubhiker on this .. and by the way Scrub.. I LOVE your writing style! shows local color!

What farm? Any picture? Is the farm named " Pessimist Farm" outside Concord NH??

max patch
06-04-2013, 17:40
He is referring to Animal Farm by Orwell. The slow hikers are represented by the animals and the evil fast hikers are represented by the humans.

Kookork
06-04-2013, 17:45
He is referring to Animal Farm by Orwell. The slow hikers are represented by the animals and the evil fast hikers are represented by the humans.

Thanks Max. I have read that book but didn't know he is referring to it.

map man
06-04-2013, 21:31
Hey, good luck Matt. I'm rooting for you. I followed a couple links on your wikispaces page and discovered that you reference a sample 60 day itinerary I worked up in response to a post of yours here on Whiteblaze a year and a half ago. I hope it is even a little bit useful -- and I further hope that if you ever run into logistics trouble on your hike it won't be because of any bad information I offered in that post! Happy hiking.

-Matt

Sarcasm the elf
06-04-2013, 21:45
What farm? Any picture? Is the farm named " Pessimist Farm" outside Concord NH??

Koorkook, Max patch is making a joke on based on DaveNH's comment. Although I do like Max's response, it's not what "Bet the farm" means.

"Bet the farm" is an idiom that is used to indicate that the person is saying it is so sure of something that they would be willing to bet their whole life and livelihood on it. Think of it in the context of the a farmer, he would never risk his land in a bet unless he was absolutely certain that he would win.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bet+the+farm

Kookork
06-04-2013, 22:58
Koorkook, Max patch is making a joke on based on DaveNH's comment. Although I do like Max's response, it's not what "Bet the farm" means.

"Bet the farm" is an idiom that is used to indicate that the person is saying it is so sure of something that they would be willing to bet their whole life and livelihood on it. Think of it in the context of the a farmer, he would never risk his land in a bet unless he was absolutely certain that he would win.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bet+the+farm

Thank you The Elf. I have a looong way to go to understand most of the idioms of American English. It is people like you and Max Patch that teach me the idioms in the context. I appreciate that and ask you please keep up the good work and let me know where I am off.

jersey joe
06-05-2013, 10:49
Hey, good luck Matt. I'm rooting for you. I followed a couple links on your wikispaces page and discovered that you reference a sample 60 day itinerary I worked up in response to a post of yours here on Whiteblaze a year and a half ago. I hope it is even a little bit useful -- and I further hope that if you ever run into logistics trouble on your hike it won't be because of any bad information I offered in that post! Happy hiking.

I'm looking forward to following Matt's hike, he's got a legit shot at doing this thing! I'm also glad that Map Man is following the hike...we got some great thread updates from Map Man on previous record attempts!

jersey joe
06-13-2013, 14:33
I noticed that Matt Kirk has an update on his site (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/) that appears to have been updated last night.
It is just a 28 second video of him starting his sub 60 day speed hike attempt on Katahdin. He even offers a John Muir quote(nice!).
There is also a start picture on top of K.

He gives a 9:42 AM start time, but no day(likely by design).
Should be fun watching this attempt unfold.

jersey joe
06-14-2013, 21:20
As best as I can tell from the latest video, 71.4 miles after two days.
37.8 and 33.6

Del Q
06-14-2013, 21:24
Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record until he got bonked outside of Waynesboro.

shelb
06-14-2013, 23:47

I love this!

The Solemates
06-17-2013, 09:36
5 days in and it looks like he's chugging along. go matt!

fredmugs
06-17-2013, 13:08
Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record until he got bonked outside of Waynesboro.

Nature Boy may not have the Unsupported record but he certainly has the Unsubstantiated record. I think he's completely FOS.

jersey joe
06-17-2013, 13:51
Nature Boy may not have the Unsupported record but he certainly has the Unsubstantiated record. I think he's completely FOS.
Why do you say this? I'm curious, i've heard this sentiment echoed on WB before about Nature Boy and have no clue why people feel this way.

jersey joe
06-17-2013, 14:41
5 days in and it looks like he's chugging along. go matt!

Looks like Matt made it to Caratunk at the end of Day 4. 151 miles in 4 days for a 38mpd avg.

Feral Bill
06-17-2013, 15:16
Looks like Matt made it to Caratunk at the end of Day 4. 151 miles in 4 days for a 38mpd avg. That's amazing. I guess that now he what mostly needs is good luck.

joshuasdad
06-17-2013, 21:27
That's amazing. I guess that now he what mostly needs is good luck.

Weather looks quite good. He may get through NH before any more sustained rains.

I wonder how he stacks up to Jennifer Pharr Davis at this point. I imagine it would be tempting to go for the supported record if he were to be on pace after getting through the tough stuff.

fredmugs
06-18-2013, 08:18
Why do you say this? I'm curious, i've heard this sentiment echoed on WB before about Nature Boy and have no clue why people feel this way.

One year he claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to Harpers Ferry. Then claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to the Whites. I mean really bragging it up. Then somebody mentioned that he skipped the Smokies completely and he stated that he was "going to do it later." On his last effort he was practically begging people to send him pizza or money for pizza - not exactly unsupported. Then this claim he was dragged from his tent and beaten in the middle of the night. Really? He is the Rosie Ruiz of long distance hikers.

Slo-go'en
06-18-2013, 09:44
Looks like Matt made it to Caratunk at the end of Day 4. 151 miles in 4 days for a 38mpd avg.

Lets see if he can keep that pace up. This is the point where the shin splints and blisters usually start to show up...

Odd Man Out
06-18-2013, 12:20
I built a spreadsheet to chart his progress.
At the end of day 4 he was 5.5 miles ahead of the target pace.
Baxter Peak to Springer = 2185.9 miles or 36.4 mpd
I used mileage data from this page: http://www.atdist.com/

stranger
06-19-2013, 04:07
One year he claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to Harpers Ferry. Then claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to the Whites. I mean really bragging it up. Then somebody mentioned that he skipped the Smokies completely and he stated that he was "going to do it later." On his last effort he was practically begging people to send him pizza or money for pizza - not exactly unsupported. Then this claim he was dragged from his tent and beaten in the middle of the night. Really? He is the Rosie Ruiz of long distance hikers.

I think you may be exaggerating a tad here...I went to Nature Boy's site and yes, he did have a donations section, but it wasn't even on his main page if I recall correctly, I think you had to enter into the site, then there was link to donations.

The fact remains...he hiked hundreds of miles averaging around 40 miles per day unsupported, which is pretty damn good in my book.

I agree that the circumstances surrounding 'the incident' were a tad mysterious. It sounds very strange and his inability to articulate what actually occurred was even more strange. I always look at motive...who would have the motive to hunt him down and kick his ass? And I think he claimed there were 'multiple' people, just seems incredibly odd. Saying that, he also said he woke in the morning in GA and found his shoes 50 yards down the trail...so it's possible that someone had it out for him, but that someone must have been very bored, unemployed, and patient, with friends.

Saying that, it's a terrible story to make up...why not just say you had a stress fracture in your foot? The end = over. No one would question it, especially after hiking 40 miles a day for a couple weeks. Who knows...all I know is that the record still stands.

jersey joe
06-19-2013, 11:23
Matt made it to horn's pond lean to at the end of day 5.
That's 183.1 miles in 5 days for a 36.6mpd average.

He's at 214 miles at 7pm on day 6.

rickb
06-19-2013, 17:28
Matt,

Best of luck. I really enjoyed your prep video showing you working on your mail drops. It was great. My efforts 30 years ago were a bit different-- real sardines for me, not the music.

Hope you have a great hike.

Rick B. ME-GA 19AT3

stranger
06-19-2013, 17:51
Wow...36 miles per day, though Maine...think about that!

jersey joe
06-22-2013, 14:09
218 miles done at the end of day 6, stayed at piazza rock shelter.
Day 7, 252 miles and counting at 6:40pm.

jersey joe
06-24-2013, 08:13
Day 8 - Crossed into NH at 3pm. 282 total miles and counting
Day 7 - 6:40pm. 252 total miles and counting
Day 6 - Stayed at Piazza Rock Shelter. 218 total miles
Day 5 - Stayed at Horn's Pond lean-to. 183 total miles
Day 4 - Stayed at Caratunk. 151 total miles
Day3 - ???
Day 2 - 33.6 miles hiked. 71.4 total miles
Day 1 - 37.8 miles hiked. 37.8 total miles

Odd Man Out
06-24-2013, 13:40
Day3 - ???
Day 2 - 33.6 miles hiked. 71.4 total miles

It sounds like he was at Wadleigh Stream the first night.
On day 2 he said he stayed at Logan Brook. On day 3 he said he stayed at Leeman Brook (these were in his day 4 video).
He hinted that day seven ended at Frye Notch.
He made it to NH at 3 PM on day 8 and was planning to make it to Gorham that evening.
If so, that would put him 6.8 miles ahead of schedule (assuming a linear pace).

jersey joe
06-24-2013, 14:19
Thanks Odd Man Out...i missed Leeman in his day 4 video, thought he was correcting himself and said Logan instead.
Here is the update:

Day 3 - Stayed at Leeman Brook Lean-to. 111.5 total miles
Day 2 - Stayed at Logan Brook Lean-to. 33.6 miles hiked. 71.4 total miles

rocketsocks
06-24-2013, 14:22
thanks for postin...keep em comin

peakbagger
06-24-2013, 15:10
This upcoming week is going to be hot hazy and humid with thunderstorms every day, it will be interesting to see if the mileage drops.

hikerboy57
06-24-2013, 15:19
im gonna need a zero just following his attempt.

Malto
06-24-2013, 15:29
This upcoming week is going to be hot hazy and humid with thunderstorms every day, it will be interesting to see if the mileage drops.

You would expect his mileage to drop a bit now. But heading out of NH he will be able to pace himself for the rest of the trip. Definitely a strong start but there is a long way to go.

da fungo
06-24-2013, 16:51
You would expect his mileage to drop a bit now. But heading out of NH he will be able to pace himself for the rest of the trip. Definitely a strong start but there is a long way to go.But, since he's got Maine, the Hundred Mile Wilderness and The Presidentials behind him mightn't the terrain help offset the weather? (Asking, not saying.)

Odd Man Out
06-24-2013, 19:19
As of the last update, he was not through the Whites. But agreed, if you are ahead of schedule through ME, you can lag a little in NH without really being behind.

rocketsocks
06-25-2013, 02:27
im gonna need a zero just following his attempt.I already took two

Odd Man Out
06-25-2013, 10:00

? indicates an overnight location that was not specifically mentioned but there was some evidence to allow speculation.

jersey joe
06-25-2013, 10:50
Looks like he pressed on through Pinkham Notch on Day 9.

Day 10- Passed Mt. Washington
Day 9 - Stayed at Osgood Campsite. 324 total miles
Day 8 - Crossed into NH at 3pm. Stayed at Gorham(White Mtn. Lodge) 298 total miles
Day 7 - 6:40pm. 252 total miles and counting (possibly stayed in Frye Notch 261 total miles)

MDSection12
06-25-2013, 11:01
Go Matt, Go!

canoe
06-25-2013, 15:11
WOW matt, you are smokin. Keep it up man...YOU CAN DO IT

rocketsocks
06-25-2013, 15:33
Go Matty Go Matty

T.S.Kobzol
06-25-2013, 18:19
wow. from Katahdin to Pinkham Notch in 9 days. I am envious of such feat. congrats.

Looks like he pressed on through Pinkham Notch on Day 9.

Day 10- Passed Mt. Washington
Day 8 - Crossed into NH at 3pm. Stayed at Gorham(White Mtn. Lodge) 298 total miles
Day 7 - 6:40pm. 252 total miles and counting (possibly stayed in Frye Notch 261 total miles)

Feral Bill
06-25-2013, 22:38
It's more fun following an attempt by someone with a chance of succeeding. Go Matt.

Odd Man Out
06-27-2013, 23:20
Day 11 report just posted. Slowing down in NH.

jeffmeh
06-28-2013, 00:37
Osgood to Zealand is still one heck of a day, with plenty of much tamer terrain to make it up. Staying healthy and committed will be the key factors, with a long way to go. Good luck.

Jeff
06-28-2013, 05:51
He must be delaying his posting because he passed thru Manchester, VT June 26th.

Odd Man Out
06-28-2013, 10:07
On his current pace, he would have gotten to Manchester around day 15 or 16, so it looks like he is posting about 5 to 7 days behind. He never gives dates in his posts, only days from the start. I only logged known locations he documents in his posts, except a couple of overnight stops that I guessed about based on hints he gave. These are marked with a ?.

Odd Man Out
06-28-2013, 17:11
Couple of updates just posted.
Day 11 - Lonesome Lake - 376 miles
Day 12 - Just S of NHH25A - 409.3
Day 13 - Norwich - 443.7
Now 29.9 miles behind needed pace.
Let's see if things pick up now that ME and NH are behind him.

illabelle
06-28-2013, 17:21
Odd Man, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm rooting for him!

rocketsocks
06-28-2013, 17:28
On his current pace, he would have gotten to Manchester around day 15 or 16, so it looks like he is posting about 5 to 7 days behind. He never gives dates in his posts, only days from the start. I only logged known locations he documents in his posts, except a couple of overnight stops that I guessed about based on hints he gave. These are marked with a ?.Maybe he doesn't want to get N. Boy'd, kinda smart really....not posting exact location. Thanks for the up dates.

jersey joe
06-28-2013, 20:14
Couple of updates just posted.
Day 11 - Lonesome Lake - 376 miles
Day 12 - Just S of NHH25A - 409.3
Day 13 - Norwich - 443.7
Now 29.9 miles behind needed pace.
Let's see if things pick up now that ME and NH are behind him.
Thanks for picking up my slack Odd Man Out. His day 10 video indicates that it's a conscious effort to slow down a bit. He said... "I gotta check myself before I wreck myself". Seems wise with easier trail ahead.

Onedawg
06-29-2013, 17:04
Excuse a dumb question, but why doesn't he want people to know his location?

atmilkman
06-29-2013, 17:06
Excuse a dumb question, but why doesn't he want people to know his location?

There's a lot of goof balls out there. You know - nut cases. Idiots.

atmilkman
06-29-2013, 17:11
There's a lot of goof balls out there. You know - nut cases. Idiots.

I shouldn't say a lot, but there's the possibility. Way, way more good than bad.

Del Q
06-29-2013, 19:57
Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record a few years ago until he got "bonked" in the head outside of Waynesboro. He and Jennifer Pharr were on the same pace.

Hope he is still out there running FAST!!!

tawa
06-29-2013, 20:14
Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record a few years ago until he got "bonked" in the head outside of Waynesboro. He and Jennifer Pharr were on the same pace.

Hope he is still out there running FAST!!!
Are u sure he got bonked on the head?

illabelle
06-30-2013, 10:17
Go Matty Go Matty

Would be neat if "GO MATTY GO!" signs were posted at road crossings ahead of him. He'd be encouraged, and it wouldn't violate his no-support rule.

Odd Man Out
06-30-2013, 19:20
Day 14 update hinted he would be at Stony Brook Shelter, which would put him 31.7 miles behind schedule.
He now needs to average 31.7 mpd to finish on time (up from 36.4 at the start).

frisbeefreek
07-01-2013, 23:04
Day 14 update hinted he would be at Stony Brook Shelter, which would put him 31.7 miles behind schedule.
He now needs to average 31.7 mpd to finish on time (up from 36.4 at the start).

If you can get through New England without dropping your average too much, you are doing pretty well. 40mpd from Duncannon to Springer is totally do-able if you were doing 34mpd in Maine & NH. We've had some rain on the East Coast lately which has to be slowing him down. I personally found a rainy day cost me 2miles/day just because the trail was slower/slicker and more tiring.

jersey joe
07-02-2013, 10:30
Day 15 update...at 6:20 he was up to 504 miles...was hiking still and said he was trying to bring up his average mpd.
Day 15- 6:20PM - 504 miles and counting.
Day 14- Stealth Site 476 miles
Day 13- Norwich - 443.7 miles
Day 12- Just S of NHH25A - 409.3 miles
Day 11- Lonesome Lake - 376 miles
Day 10- Zealand Falls - 353 miles
Day 7 - 6:40pm. Frye Notch?!? 261 total miles
http://sub60.wikispaces.com/

da fungo
07-02-2013, 10:40
Day 14 update hinted he would be at Stony Brook Shelter, which would put him 31.7 miles behind schedule. He now needs to average 31.7 mpd to finish on time (up from 36.4 at the start).I ignored this for quite a while, but shouldn't this read/have read "He now needs to average 37.1 mpd...", NOT "...31.7 mpd..."?Which is an admittedly awkward way to ask what kind of average will he currently need to finish in 60 days?

Odd Man Out
07-02-2013, 13:54
I ignored this for quite a while, but shouldn't this read/have read "He now needs to average 37.1 mpd...", NOT "...31.7 mpd..."?Which is an admittedly awkward way to ask what kind of average will he currently need to finish in 60 days?

You're correct, it should have been 37.1 mpd. However, that was based on the assumption that he would make it to the next shelter (Stony Brook) as stated in his day 14 post. In day 15, he says he came up a couple of miles short so it recalculates to 37.2 mpd, and yes, that is the number of miles per day he would have to hike, starting on day 15 to finish in 60 days. His current paces of 33.6 mpd.

If you can get through New England without dropping your average too much, you are doing pretty well...

I agree he is doing great. When I calculate ahead of schedule or behind schedule, it assumes an equal number of miles per day, which obviously isn't accurate. Terrain, weather, resupply stops, etc... will all affect the actual rate. He may very well have a target schedule for each day that accounts for all of this and includes packing in more miles at the end. But since we don't know what that is, I am just using a linear pace as a reference.

Also, it should be noted that the way he is counting his days, if he finishes on day 60, he still would finish in less than 60 days. He started at 9:42 AM on Day 1 so therefore Day 2 started at 9:42 AM on Day 2 and Day 1 doesn't end until 9:41 AM on Day 2. Thus if he finished at 9:42 PM on Day 60, that would really be 59 days and 12 hrs (less than 60 days).

da fungo
07-02-2013, 14:01
He's making a fantastic attempt, regardless of the specific numbers.

And thanks to you for keeping the information flowing.

jersey joe
07-02-2013, 19:33
I agree he is doing great. When I calculate ahead of schedule or behind schedule, it assumes an equal number of miles per day, which obviously isn't accurate. Terrain, weather, resupply stops, etc... will all affect the actual rate. He may very well have a target schedule for each day that accounts for all of this and includes packing in more miles at the end. But since we don't know what that is, I am just using a linear pace as a reference.
I have no issue with calculating linear pace for the sake of simplicity. We DO have a target schedule to work with though. He references a schedule that he wanted to try to follow that was constructed by Whiteblaze's very own Map Man which can be found here. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78577-Strongest-AT-Record-Contender&p=1229946#post1229946

This schedule would have him at a 32.7mpd pace after 13.5 days.
and
at a 34.4mpd pace after 18 days.

So, his current pace of 33.6 after 15 days, so he seems to be hitting his target pace perfectly through this section.

Odd Man Out
07-02-2013, 20:52
I could enter that into the spreadsheet.

Odd Man Out
07-02-2013, 22:07
Day 16 post is up. My spreadsheet now compares his actual pace to a linear pace and the schedule according to Map Man.

jersey joe
07-03-2013, 09:13
Day 17 post is up...looking to get into Dalton on day 18. Looks like all the rain is causing some feet issues, hopefully nothing too bad.

Day 17- 580 miles and counting at dinner time
Day 16- 546 miles
Day 15- 510 miles - Stealth Site
Day 14- 476 miles - Stealth Site
Day 13- 443.7 miles - Norwich
Day 12- 409.3 miles - Just S of NHH25A
Day 11- 376 miles - Lonesome Lake
Day 10- 353 miles - Zealand Falls
Day 9 - 324 miles - Stayed at Osgood Campsite
Day 8 - 298 miles Crossed into NH at 3pm. Stayed at Gorham(White Mtn. Lodge)
Day 7 - 261 miles - Frye Notch?!?
Day 6 - 218 miles - Stayed at Piazza Rock Shelter
Day 5 - 183 miles - Stayed at Horn's Pond lean-to
Day 4 - 151 miles - Stayed at Caratunk
Day 3 - 111.5 miles - Stayed at Leeman Brook Lean-to.
Day 2 - 71.4 miles - Stayed at Logan Brook Lean-to. 33.6 miles for the day
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

stranger
07-04-2013, 02:19
The placebo make miles is CT - Waynesboro...so if he's averaging over 33/day he is absolutely fine, especially since he is through Maine and NH.

stranger
07-04-2013, 02:20
Haha...should read 'place to'

Odd Man Out
07-04-2013, 11:38
Starting with Day 19 he must average 37.3 miles per day.

Day 19 - 650 miles at 8 PM and wants to make 6 or 7 more miles
Day 18 - 620.1 miles - Dalton MA
Day 17- 582.5 miles - Congdon Shelter
Day 16- 546 miles - Stealth Site
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

map man
07-04-2013, 17:54
I'm looking forward to following Matt's hike, he's got a legit shot at doing this thing! I'm also glad that Map Man is following the hike...we got some great thread updates from Map Man on previous record attempts!

I've enjoyed checking in on Matt's web updates and in following his progress on this thread. I made the decision not to try to do updates on this one since it is an attempt to do it in a self supported manner and I was afraid that if people could piece together where he was that he might end up having to fight off well-intentioned WB members showing up on the trail offering "support"! I guess the chances of this are minimized as long as Matt keeps a long time delay on his web updates (like he has) and there aren't any real-time "Matt sightings" reported on this thread.

And I have to say jersey joe and odd man out are definitely doing a great job with updates. Good luck Matt!

Odd Man Out
07-04-2013, 20:11
I've enjoyed checking in on Matt's web updates and in following his progress on this thread. I made the decision not to try to do updates on this one since it is an attempt to do it in a self supported manner and I was afraid that if people could piece together where he was that he might end up having to fight off well-intentioned WB members showing up on the trail offering "support"! I guess the chances of this are minimized as long as Matt keeps a long time delay on his web updates (like he has) and there aren't any real-time "Matt sightings" reported on this thread.

And I have to say jersey joe and odd man out are definitely doing a great job with updates. Good luck Matt!

I could use the info out there to predict where he is now, but for the reasons suggested I'm not going to post that. I am only updating with info he posts on his blog which continues to have a delay and I'm only posting progress by days of hiking and not actual dates.

And BTW, his overnight in Dalton on Day 18 puts him spot on Map Man's suggested itinerary.

jersey joe
07-08-2013, 08:32
Day 20 - 689.6 and counting at 7:30PM, leaving Salisbury CT
Day 19 - 656.5 miles - Mount Wilcox S Lean-to, MA
Day 17- 582.5 miles - Congdon Shelter
Day 16- 546 miles - Stealth Site
Day 1 - 37.8 miles
http://sub60.wikispaces.com/ (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/)

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 10:05
a third

20 days x 3= 60 days

689.6 x 3= 2068.8

not bad...lookin good!

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 10:42
Looking Awesome! Here's an alternative view of what is in my opinion a successful schedule for a sub 60 day hike. Take what the trail gives you, plug in the daily miles however you want, but don't worry about the individual days, they will come and go.

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 10:56
Looking Awesome! Here's an alternative view of what is in my opinion a successful schedule for a sub 60 day hike. Take what the trail gives you, plug in the daily miles however you want, but don't worry about the individual days, they will come and go.
Those are some serious numbers...and scary even...i'm thinking it's a lot easier to turn those 35-40 mile days into 40-45 mile days then it would be to turn the 40-45 into 50-55 mile days....either way, that's some serious walkin when you project it out like that...thanks Bill.

mcstick
07-08-2013, 11:15
I don't have anything to add to this thread except to say that I'm cheering for this guy big time!. Really enjoying following his progress!

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 11:21
22496Here's some even scarier numbers! But between Map Man's tentative schedule he came up with for Matt, other posts, and Brew's book I think when the record falls you'll see something fairly similar. I have a personal schedule that looks a bit like Map Man's too, but really it's just a guess. Jen's numbers are all over the place. A 30 and a 60.2... putting her numbers in a spreadsheet gave me the inspiration that a record is no different than a normal hike- some good days, some average days, one or two horrible ones, and a few mind blowing days. My schedule even has a few zeros in it. There is nothing average (or easy) about it, but it is what it is. Best case you could turn some of the lows into better numbers and eliminate some of the monsters, but I don't think you really have control. Since we don't have any schedule or report of daily miles from Mr. Leonard to compare, I think JPD is the best comparison.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2013, 11:30
ward's record will stand

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 11:38
Picard: Come back! Make a difference!
Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation’s grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: If Spock were here, he’d say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!-Star Trek: Generations

rocketsocks
ward's record will standAnd there you have it...the wolf has spoken!

I see he's been paying close attention to his feets, if they don't fail, he's lookin pretty good!

Just Bill
Go Kirk Go!

mcstick
07-08-2013, 11:42
ward's record will stand

Unless it doesn't.

rocketsocks
07-08-2013, 11:43
22496Here's some even scarier numbers! But between Map Man's tentative schedule he came up with for Matt, other posts, and Brew's book I think when the record falls you'll see something fairly similar. I have a personal schedule that looks a bit like Map Man's too, but really it's just a guess. Jen's numbers are all over the place. A 30 and a 60.2... putting her numbers in a spreadsheet gave me the inspiration that a record is no different than a normal hike- some good days, some average days, one or two horrible ones, and a few mind blowing days. My schedule even has a few zeros in it. There is nothing average (or easy) about it, but it is what it is. Best case you could turn some of the lows into better numbers and eliminate some of the monsters, but I don't think you really have control. Since we don't have any schedule or report of daily miles from Mr. Leonard to compare, I think JPD is the best comparison.Absolutely...I think you gotta blow and go when you can, and throttle it back when you have to or there is no other choice...but cookie cutter it ain't....I like following along, it's somethin ta do.

jersey joe
07-08-2013, 12:35
22496Here's some even scarier numbers! But between Map Man's tentative schedule he came up with for Matt, other posts, and Brew's book I think when the record falls you'll see something fairly similar. I have a personal schedule that looks a bit like Map Man's too, but really it's just a guess. Jen's numbers are all over the place. A 30 and a 60.2... putting her numbers in a spreadsheet gave me the inspiration that a record is no different than a normal hike- some good days, some average days, one or two horrible ones, and a few mind blowing days. My schedule even has a few zeros in it. There is nothing average (or easy) about it, but it is what it is. Best case you could turn some of the lows into better numbers and eliminate some of the monsters, but I don't think you really have control. Since we don't have any schedule or report of daily miles from Mr. Leonard to compare, I think JPD is the best comparison.

This spreadsheet of Jen's mileage per day is great. Thanks for sharing, I was looking for this. Where did you find it?

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 13:29
22497 I bought Brew's book and plugged in the numbers, there is no source for it other than that (Best $10 I ever spent Brew!). Here is the full sheet, Miles per day (MPD), start time, stop time, hours and then a MPD average for total time out (includes breaks, etc.) at the bottom the numbers are trip averages. The times are in military format so excel could do the math for me. So the average start time is 5:00 AM, the average finish is 9:23 PM- but the average time on trail is in regular hours- a daunting sixteen hours- twenty-three minutes! Average MPH though- a very backpacking average of 2.83 MPH. Obviously she moved faster than that, but breaks (we all need them, even Jen) make her actual MPH what it is.

fredmugs
07-08-2013, 14:27
I bought Brew's book and plugged in the numbers, there is no source for it other than that.

Actually it's listed on her blog. http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/page/5

I ran into (but didn't know it at the time) her husband and Warren Doyle at a road crossing on er 4th day. About 2 hours later Jen came up on me at another road crossing and I knew who she was from an article I had read with her picture. We talked for about a minute before she took off on a slow job downhill. I kept up with her blog from Day 4 on. Brew's posts were typically 3 days behind which was really smart.

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 14:38
I just meant I couldn't find another summary or spreadsheet- only option is wading though the blog posts or buying Brew's book. I dumped them into Excel so I could see them better for myself. Overheard; "I'm in the camp that believes that all of life's problems can be solved in Excel." Andrew Skurka

jersey joe
07-08-2013, 14:54
Nice job Just Bill, I've been directed to Jen's blog in the past but just can't get this spreadsheet style information there without a lot of digging.

CrumbSnatcher
07-08-2013, 16:58
i know Matt's doing maildrops, but is he hitching to towns/maildrops or no car rides at all?
thanks in advance :-)

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 17:46
No car rides

jersey joe
07-08-2013, 20:57
i know Matt's doing maildrops, but is he hitching to towns/maildrops or no car rides at all?
thanks in advance :-)
Hey Crumb, this is right from Matt's site:

"Self-supported" guidelines that I will follow (Mostly adapted from the writing of Scott "Bink" Williamson (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pacific&action=display&thread=29)):

Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.
Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.
Follow the official AT route, no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.
Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.
Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.
Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.
Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.

MuddyWaters
07-08-2013, 22:05
Kirks got the resume.

Wont know if its really a game until the fourth quarter though.

atmilkman
07-08-2013, 22:08
Kirks got the resume.

Where do you think it will be when it starts looking really serious. Start of the Smokies? Sooner than that?

Malto
07-08-2013, 22:11
Kirks got the resume.

Very true. I was looking at his numbers and believe it way too early for a read. I was expecting to see him start to close the 35 mile deficit from average after Manchester Center Vt. He hasn't but it could be that he waits till later to close the gap. Hopefully he is gaining physically and will have another gear in Pa south to close the gap.

Just Bill
07-08-2013, 22:59
I just watched his day 21 post- he crossed into New York- which means he has 5 out of 14 states complete. According to my math 5/14 equals 35.7% complete. 21/60 equals 35% so he is technically .7% ahead of schedule!!!! Keep up the good work Kirk. I am a very good mathematical calculator, I finished high school, so don't even try to dispute those numbers- it can't be done.

CrumbSnatcher
07-08-2013, 23:28
ward's record will stand
i wish Matt good luck on his sub 60 hike, and he's doing great!
but i still think there should be a Nobo & a Sobo record. 2 totally different hike's
everyone say's go south for the record,cause it'll be a little easier
so why not give Ward his props, for going at it the tougher route?, if indeed it is harder

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 00:18
read my trip report- but until somebody else gets it- don't worry about qualifying the record any further. Ward probably hitched, probably had a few other tricks too, so don't get too hung up on which one is easier. Once there are four or five people cracking the record we can worry about what's what.

Jeff
07-09-2013, 06:05
I don't understand the "No Hitch hiking" rule. Scott Williamson is the only one I know make that condition.

Every "purist" I have talked to on the AT had nothing to say about hitching.

rickb
07-09-2013, 06:50
I don't understand the "No Hitch hiking" rule. Scott Williamson is the only one I know make that condition.

Got to love people who set and live by their own standard.

There is something poetic about that approach.

RCBear
07-09-2013, 07:45

In his mind, hitching is cheating.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

RCBear
07-09-2013, 07:45
In his mind, hitching is cheating.

I like his approach. Simple. Honest.

jersey joe
07-09-2013, 08:09
Day 21 - Goal is 735 miles(second shelter in NY)
Day 20 - 696.3 miles - Stealth Site
Day 17 - 582.5 miles - Congdon Shelter
Day 16 - 546 miles - Stealth Site
Day 15 - 510 miles - Stealth Site
Day 14 - 476 miles - Stealth Site
Day 13 - 443.7 miles - Norwich
Day 12 - 409.3 miles - Just S of NHH25A
Day 11 - 376 miles - Lonesome Lake
Day 10 - 353 miles - Zealand Falls
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

Seatbelt
07-09-2013, 08:28
[QUOTE=Average MPH though- a very backpacking average of 2.83 MPH. Obviously she moved faster than that, but breaks (we all need them, even Jen) make her actual MPH what it is.[/QUOTE]

From all I have seen I would say that she wasn't backpacking. Big difference.

atmilkman
07-09-2013, 08:30

You are correct. She was speed hiking.

RCBear
07-09-2013, 08:48

She had all her needs met off trail each night. He is actually backpacking, sleeping in the woods, in the elements, preparing his own meals, not having a freshly washed set of clothes each morning.

The two endeavors cannot be compared. The only thing they share in common is the route they took. Its not that her feat isnt seriously impressive, its just that it held very little interest to me since it combined none of the elements to it that would make it worthy of me following.

This guys journey on the other hand, is actually interesting and WAY WAY harder in my opinion

Seatbelt
07-09-2013, 09:21
The two endeavors cannot be compared. The only thing they share in common is the route they took. This guys journey on the other hand, is actually interesting and WAY WAY harder in my opinion

Exactly what I meant, and I totally agree with your statements, just pointing it out is all. And I do have a lot of respect for Jennifer and her accomplishment(s), her book is one of my favorites.

Marta
07-09-2013, 10:00
While I agree that going self-supported and hiking with support are very different, I quibble with the idea that the latter is easy in any way. If you really think it was easy, I suggest you read Called Again. I actually think hiking unsupported is no harder physically and is easier mentally--much less pressure from dealing with and coordinating so many people.

The no-vehicle rule makes a certain amount of sense. Once you permit yourself to hitchhike, why not go further and accept rides from fans who meet you along the way? Or pre-arrange your rides? Why not just have people bring your resupply boxes to you at the trailhead? Slippery slope. All the "rules" are artificial constructs. This rule draws a very clear line between unsupported and supported.

RCBear
07-09-2013, 10:21
While I agree that going self-supported and hiking with support are very different, I quibble with the idea that the latter is easy in any way. If you really think it was easy, I suggest you read Called Again. I actually think hiking unsupported is no harder physically and is easier mentally--much less pressure from dealing with and coordinating so many people.

The no-vehicle rule makes a certain amount of sense. Once you permit yourself to hitchhike, why not go further and accept rides from fans who meet you along the way? Or pre-arrange your rides? Why not just have people bring your resupply boxes to you at the trailhead? Slippery slope. All the "rules" are artificial constructs. This rule draws a very clear line between unsupported and supported.

I agree. Specific set rules beforehand arw how we can judge the authenticty of someone's endevour. I never questioned how hard her feat was, because I don't think you can. However, I don't think you can begin to compare the two. Without question, his IS significantly harder. I'm sorry, just no way around that one. I think most on here with any amount of multiple day trail experience would agree. Not everyone obviously, although im hard pressed to explain why.

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 10:23
The "no hitching rule" has nothing to do with the AT, but has more to do with defining unsupported. It's sort of like golf, because there is no ref, you have to enforce the rules yourself. If you simply, never get in a vehicle, you don't ever have to worry about some of the issues/accusations that arise. Basically; you can't cheat or be accused of cheating. I like to call the supported record the "runners" record, it's just like a marathon and the only rule is that you walk the trail yourself. The unsupported record is the "backpacker's" record; it has a few more rules to make sure that you don't accept support. Really the "rules" are more like guidelines. There is no hard and fast set of rules, only some guidelines from a small, but growing group of folks chasing these records. As far as JPD goes- she is a backpacker in my opinion, although to earn the supported record she did not backpack. My only point in pointing out her 2.83MPH average is that she isn't "running". In hiker speak- she "slackpacked the trail". While many Purists would consider that cheating, on the trail I know there's more than a few of you out there who do it from time to time. Jen's a backpacker too, and one summer she decided to go for the fastest slackpack in the world. The next summer; she went backpacking with her husband. This summer- Matt Kirk, who supported Jen, is going for the backpacker's record; we're all backpackers- let's cheer each other on!

Malto
07-09-2013, 10:27
This guys journey on the other hand, is actually interesting and WAY WAY harder in my opinion

while I agree that the supported no unsupported are two different critters, I completely disagree that the supported record is somehow easier. An 11 mile a day increase in mileage is huge. It may seem like just a 35% increase but in my experience it is closer to being twice as hard to do 47 vs 36 mile day. That huge increase in difficulty is not offset IMHO by the support offered. A UL hiker that is setup for a speed hike isn't spending that much time setting up or tearing down camp, cooking, cleaning etc. Do it take time, yes, does it take four hours a day, no way.

i think you will see the unsupported record fall multiple times before Jens record is bested.

Pedaling Fool
07-09-2013, 10:28
Yeah, no matter how you look at it, you just can't compare different types of hikes. It's like in the cycling world where people get into arguments of who's the strongest riders, Mountain Bikers or Roadies. It's just a stupid argument.

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 10:58
I would actually argue that the supported record is way harder. Not because of the miles, but because of the support. At some point, if you get your system dialed in- you can really move. At some point- you find yourself in harmony and the camping part of travelling is little more difficult than meeting your needs in town, in fact it's often simpler. To reach this state of harmony, you must only rely on yourself. While there is nothing easy about it, the unsupported record is pretty straightforward. If you read up on speed records you will find the biggest reason they fail is conflicts/problems/disharmony with the support team and/or the record setter. Jen and Brew, not only were married, but have a very healthy marriage. I think the biggest obstacle to Jen's record is not the MPD, but finding support that is so in tune, so good that you can concentrate on doing what you have to do. Jen was totally free to find her limits and then jump off that cliff, knowing that Brew would catch her. I don't trust my wife to do that, I can't think of anyone in my life I would trust to do that for me actually. You can't pay someone to do that for you. Brew (Doyle, Horton, Kirk, and many others) are the only reason that record fell- I think a crew like that will be very hard, if not impossible to duplicate.

RCBear
07-09-2013, 11:21
while I agree that the supported no unsupported are two different critters, I completely disagree that the supported record is somehow easier. An 11 mile a day increase in mileage is huge. It may seem like just a 35% increase but in my experience it is closer to being twice as hard to do 47 vs 36 mile day. That huge increase in difficulty is not offset IMHO by the support offered. A UL hiker that is setup for a speed hike isn't spending that much time setting up or tearing down camp, cooking, cleaning etc. Do it take time, yes, does it take four hours a day, no way.

i think you will see the unsupported record fall multiple times before Jens record is bested.

Yeah, but no matter the lenght of time it takes to set up/break down, doing it in bad weather again and again, putting on stinky, damp clothes day in and day out, etc takes a real mental toll. Its alot easier rolling out of a dry, soft bed in a temp controlled room, followed by prepared continental brkfst before hitting the trail.

Im in awe of any physical feat that is beyond the capabilities of the vast majority. They just took different and, both remarkable paths between point A and B.

I simply find his approach much more interesting because it mirrors what you or I have to do in multi days. Except MUCH faster and sustained. Those little logistics that he faces daily that she didn't are pretty significant.

Which is also why it will take him twice or more as long to complete :-)

The Solemates
07-09-2013, 11:23
I just watched his day 21 post- he crossed into New York- which means he has 5 out of 14 states complete. According to my math 5/14 equals 35.7% complete. 21/60 equals 35% so he is technically .7% ahead of schedule!!!! Keep up the good work Kirk. I am a very good mathematical calculator, I finished high school, so don't even try to dispute those numbers- it can't be done.

He is more than 0.7% ahead of schedule if you take in to consideration he has hiked the tougher portions of the trail thus far.

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 11:29
Just for the record RCBear- Jen pretty well lived like a thru-hiker, one reason she was able to be successful. You are correct, most supported folks go into town/hotel every night, then run the next day. Jen and Brew didn't, they slept on the trail, did laundry once a week, faced the weather, ect. But all that said- I agree with you 100%, the unsupported record is WAY more relatable to backpackers. One reason I think we should all be rooting for Matt!

Odd Man Out
07-09-2013, 13:23

According to http://www.atdist.com/ the first shelter in NY is at 735 and the second is at 744.5. The first makes more sense based on his recent pace, but who knows, maybe he had the distance wrong and will bust out 10 extra miles on day 21. He has picked up the pace a bit recently. We shall see.

Seatbelt
07-09-2013, 13:31
[QUOTE=Marta;1499164] I quibble with the idea that the latter is easy in any way. If you really think it was easy, I suggest you read Called Again.QUOTE]

Don't know where you got the "easy" idea--sure not from me.

hikerboy57
07-09-2013, 13:39

According to http://www.atdist.com/ the first shelter in NY is at 735 and the second is at 744.5. The first makes more sense based on his recent pace, but who knows, maybe he had the distance wrong and will bust out 10 extra miles on day 21. He has picked up the pace a bit recently. We shall see. it's one of the easiest sections of the whole trail.

rhjanes
07-09-2013, 14:16
get Jennifer's new book, "Called Again". excellent book. And Matt crewed for her. The numbers on her days are listed in her new book, as well as Brew's.

Just Bill
07-09-2013, 15:10
wowie zowie- thanks rh- I didn't know it came out, Amazon will have it here in two days! I read on Matt's blog he was reading a preview copy not that long ago, so I figured it was months away- Awesome!

CrumbSnatcher
07-09-2013, 16:11

hitching is part of a thru hike, speed hiking the trail wouldn't make any difference in my mind, just hiking alot further each day :-)
hitch in to town or walk in and get a box from the post office that used a truck to bring it too you, seems about the same thing to me. :-)
a bad ass prepared maildrop with tons of speed hiking food in it along with 5 hour energy and stuff that will kickstart your ass better than the gas station resupply? that's like taking steriods or something? :-) just joking around :-) Good luck Matt! stay safe...

MuddyWaters
07-09-2013, 19:34
I think the supported pace has more to do with carrying no weight, than off trail comforts.
People hiked with Jen, and sometimes carried her water and day gear.

Someone can pitch a shelter faster than they can get to a hotel, giving them more sleep time.
Carrying your own shelter you can also stop whenever you want, and not have to limit yourself to road crossings where your support crew is waiting.
So there are some advantages to being self supported.
But the drawback is you have to carry your things, you have to care for yourself and your injuries, you have to eat crappier, and probably much less, food, find and get your own water, etc.

stranger
07-10-2013, 01:31
Yeah Scott Williamson pulled the no hitching thing out of his ass after his many records, needed a new challenge, etc...I think it's a unrealistic approach to Wards record, I know people who hiked with Ward that year and claim he hitched, why wouldn't you? AT hikers hitch into towns, we always have.

Williamson is in a class by himself, on a different trail...it has no bearing on the unsupported AT record in my view. Williamson set the standard on the PCT, Ward Leonard set the (unsupported) standard on the AT - so hitching is allowed, plain and simple. If Matt Kirk sets a new standard without hitching...so be it, until then...AT hikers hitch hike into town.

And before anyone pulls 'self-supported' out their ass...please explain ANY type of hiking that ISN'T self supported? Someone else moving your feet?

MuddyWaters
07-10-2013, 18:27
And before anyone pulls 'self-supported' out their ass...please explain ANY type of hiking that ISN'T self supported? Someone else moving your feet?

Un-supported is sometimes regarded as carrying everything with you from the start.

Self-supported can be regarded as taking care of your own re-supplies

jeffmeh
07-10-2013, 18:48
Yeah Scott Williamson pulled the no hitching thing out of his ass after his many records, needed a new challenge, etc...I think it's a unrealistic approach to Wards record, I know people who hiked with Ward that year and claim he hitched, why wouldn't you? AT hikers hitch into towns, we always have.

As stated earlier, the no hitching rule just eliminates the "gray" issues of people arranging to "just happen to be near the trailhead with a car," and whether that constitutes support. With the interwebs, it would be fairly easy for the hiker to get picked up immediately both inbound and outbound from resupply, without having explicitly arranged it.

I prefer well-defined, objective criteria, so in my mind it is a great rule.

max patch
07-10-2013, 19:13
As stated earlier, the no hitching rule just eliminates the "gray" issues of people arranging to "just happen to be near the trailhead with a car," and whether that constitutes support. With the interwebs, it would be fairly easy for the hiker to get picked up immediately both inbound and outbound from resupply, without having explicitly arranged it.

I agree.

Now that the "supported" category exists, it makes sense that the "unsupported" record be just that. Unsupported.

stranger
07-11-2013, 03:11

Really? I find that a little sad. So we need to account for the 1-2% of people who might 'cheat' on such an endeavor? How about this crazy concept...that we assume people are not lying or breaking the rules? How about we assume people are genuine? Or is everyone out to break the rules?

If people want to cheat, they will cheat, and they CAN CHEAT, without anyone ever knowing about it. I can't see why anyone would do this personally, but perhaps you do. To build parameters around the 1-2% is illogical, how about we focus on the 98%?

Malto
07-11-2013, 07:05
Scott set up his "rule" not out of some principle that hitching is evil but rather to make it a bit more challenging. (I guess you do stuff like that when you have hike the PCT ten plus times.) It appears that others are following his lead because his record as well as his previous record are the most recent and visible records set so it has almost become a standard for unsupported. There was a recent attempt on the AT that also was going to do without mailed resupplies. I'm not sure anyone would get any extra credit for that one.

In a way it's silly. Would anyone think any less of the accomplishment if someone hiked, say the PCT, in fifty day but they hitched to resupplies. Would it be invalidated by the ISHF? (International Speed Hiking Federation.)

CrumbSnatcher
07-11-2013, 08:04
if Matt hikes the trail in 59 days and sets a new record and never get's in a car that's cool for him!
if someone next year hikes the trail in 58 days and used the traditional hitching, in my mind he is the new record holder.
hitching has always been a part of the trail, sometimes rides come quick and sometimes they don't.
not too hard to do the right thing and not use prearranged rides, if someone who heard about the trip comes out and runs into you and offer's a ride, just say no thank you and walk over to the road and stick your thumb out.

RCBear
07-11-2013, 08:26
Really? I find that a little sad. So we need to account for the 1-2% of people who might 'cheat' on such an endeavor? How about this crazy concept...that we assume people are not lying or breaking the rules? How about we assume people are genuine? Or is everyone out to break the rules?

If people want to cheat, they will cheat, and they CAN CHEAT, without anyone ever knowing about it. I can't see why anyone would do this personally, but perhaps you do. To build parameters around the 1-2% is illogical, how about we focus on the 98%?

You're missing the point. He is HHOH, and these are the guidelines he established for himself, not for you or anyone else. He appears to be humble enough not to expect that anyone else need to do it his way. The panties seem to a bit wadded here.

Marta
07-11-2013, 08:48
On the AT especially, there are many resupply options very close to the Trail. If you plan not to ride to town in cars, and you're hiking the sorts of miles he's hiking, you can probably keep off-trail time to a minimum.

Once when I heard a talk by Flyin' Brian, he mentioned that he covers about a hundred miles in three days. Are there many hundred-mile stretches of the AT that don't pass within a mile or two of a Post Office, hostel, or someplace else where you could send yourself food?

max patch
07-11-2013, 08:52

Its not "cheating" that is my concern. If you read Sgt Rocks journal of his thru it was easy to figure out where he was going to be and it seems like every day someone from WB met up with him. Same thing would happen to the speed hiker.

And would you really want the record hiker to be determined by the number of hitches one got?

Not getting into a car is a nice clean concept.

jeffmeh
07-11-2013, 09:34
Its not "cheating" that is my concern. If you read Sgt Rocks journal of his thru it was easy to figure out where he was going to be and it seems like every day someone from WB met up with him. Same thing would happen to the speed hiker.

And would you really want the record hiker to be determined by the number of hitches one got?

Exactly. It's not about cheating. Rather, as I said earlier, it is about objective criteria that make it cleaner to rely on the stopwatch to determine the record.

If someone wants to speed hike with hitching, fine. I can distinguish that from someone who never gets into a vehicle, and put that into a different category.

I generally feel the same way around subjectively judged sports. Gymnasts, divers, figure skaters, boxers when there is no knockout, etc. are tremendous athletes displaying great physical skill, but the outcome of such competitions is often questionable because of the subjective nature of the judging. Perhaps I was traumatized by an East German judge in my youth. :)

Odd Man Out
07-11-2013, 10:33

Of course one could make the same argument about food on a self-supported record attempt:

spontaneous trail magic such as a Coke from an ice chest at a trail head? OK
arranging to have someone meet you at a trail head with a cooked meal? Not OK
some well intentioned on-line follower meets you at a trail head with a meal? Grey area

So by the same logic, should you reject all trail magic to avoid the grey area?
But Matt has accepted some trail magic (Coke at a trail head) according to one of his updates.

Suppose Matt did get a ride into town once and documented that fact on a video update and then completed his hike in 59 days.
Would he this be recognized as the fastest self-supported thru hike even though he broke his own rule?

Or suppose he follows his own rules and finished in 59 days.
Would he not be recognized as the fasted self-supported thru hike because he accepted some trail magic?

Basically, I don't care about all the rules.
It seems to me that documenting you activities is more important than having pre-set rules.

Odd Man Out
07-11-2013, 21:24
A couple of updates were just posted. My spreadsheet now charts progress versus a linear pace (equal miles per day) as well as Map Man's proposed itinerary. MPD needed to finish on day 60 is also calculated.

Biggie Master
07-11-2013, 22:35
A couple of updates were just posted. My spreadsheet now charts progress versus a linear pace (equal miles per day) as well as Map Man's proposed itinerary. MPD needed to finish on day 60 is also calculated.

thank you for tracking this. I've found it interesting to follow Matt's progress. Wishing him all the best for a successful hike.

To all the discussion about supported vs unsupported or hitching vs not hitching -- Five years from now, nothing in my life will be different based on how someone else completed their hike. However, it is interesting to follow the debate.

stranger
07-12-2013, 10:45

To each their own...I don't get it. Isn't hiking the AT in sub 60 days a clean enough concept? Guess not, it's all good.

In any event looks like Matt is doing great and that's what matters

Just Bill
07-12-2013, 12:08
The only record breaker, in recent history, has been Scott Williamson, so we pretty much follow his lead. Are some of Scott's rules silly, probably. Are they nitpicking, absolutely. But he holds the record, so to take the PCT from him, you need to follow his rules. When (Matt!) someone breaks this record, they can set a new standard if they wish. It's no different than our little debate on "True Hikers (purists)" vs. slightly off-whiter's, or even partiers on the trail- in the end, if you feel you hiked the whole trail, you call yourself a Thru-hiker, or the all inclusive designation of 2,000 miler. We all have our own style, we all hike our own hike. Matt chose a set of standards he wished to follow for his hike. Could he hitch, sure. Could he "cheat" sure. It would still count as a record, Mr. Leonard never set a standard- just a time to beat. But Matt chose the style he did, that's all we need to know. If he changes his mind, that's his right too- if he gets a Snickers from another hiker and still beats 60 days, I'll be the first to say, "So what, that was still awesome!" Right now, as far as the AT is concerned, there is only one stipulation: 60.5 days. When you do it, you can set the standard you like, until then; Go Matt Go!

tdoczi
07-12-2013, 14:58
Mr. Leonard never set a standard- just a time to beat.

very true. very very true. BUT it is a time which has long since been beaten several times, if you disregard the "standard" in which it was beaten.

Odd Man Out
07-15-2013, 00:53
Some recent updates:

Day 21 = 735.2 miles
Day 22 = 772.5 miles
Day 23 = 808.5 miles
Day 24 = ?
Day 25 = 885.0 miles

What did he say for day 24?

jersey joe
07-15-2013, 08:23
Looks like he says Murray Property for day 24, which makes sense mile wise. Found the distance using this site, http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282 which may be slightly flawed since it is from the 2009 companion, but should work.

Day 26 - 916.6 and counting at 7:30pm, going for 5 more miles - Passed through DWG at 8am
Day 25 - 885 miles - Stealth Site
Day 24 - 845.1 miles - Jim Murray Property
Day 23 - 808.5 miles - Stealth Site
Day 22 - 772.5 miles -
Day 21 - 735.2 miles - Stealth Site
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 13:39
Joe/oddman- something is off. I calculate Murry property at 846.8 (2185.9 - 1339.1 in Awol's 2013 book (page 133 in the NOBO book) Not the end of the world, but I think all our numbers are a hair off because of it. Can you confirm? That gives him 38.3 on day 24, and 38.2 on day 25.

JustaTouron
07-15-2013, 14:29
Flowers smelt : 0

Odd Man Out
07-15-2013, 14:31
The link Jersey Joe gave puts the Murray property 1.8 miles South of Lott Rd. The current year data lists Lott Rd as being 845.1 miles from Baxter Peak. So that would put the Murray property at 846.9 miles from from Baxter. I guess that's close enough.

jersey joe
07-15-2013, 14:56
Thanks for the updated mileage Just Bill, i knew my source was dated.

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 14:58

Shhhhhhhhhh

Rasty
07-15-2013, 15:49

I'm not a fast hikers (16 to 20 mpd) and haven't smelled a flower yet.

Malto
07-15-2013, 16:13

Justamoron,
in case you didn't notice this is a trail running and speed hiking forum. I guarantee Matt has smelled more flowers in his hiking career than you will ever hope to. Finally, are you sure he has smelled any flowers?

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 18:02
Malto- too easy, but well done. However, as I like to defend everyone, I'll assume that was some cleverly ironic (albeit) obscure humor, on his part based upon his name. At least that's what I choose to believe...

Touron

from the urban dictionary.

The derogatory term combines the words "Tourist" with "Moron" to describe any person who, while on vacation, commits an act of pure stupidity.

The term has its roots in the resort, park service and service industries and can easily be dated back at least as far as the mid 1970's. It is widely used throughout the US, but may not be in general use by mainstream society.

Mostly an inside "Joke", created to vent emotion when dealing with the public.

Mags
07-15-2013, 23:09
29 mile day with 7000' gain.

Flowers smelt:
http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.5092623.9622/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Suck it... :D

In other words, big days can be enjoyable, scenic and still have time to smell the roses (blue columbine...)

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 00:53
Malto- too easy, but well done. However, as I like to defend everyone, I'll assume that was some cleverly ironic (albeit) obscure humor, on his part based upon his name. At least that's what I choose to believe...

Touron

from the urban dictionary.

The derogatory term combines the words "Tourist" with "Moron" to describe any person who, while on vacation, commits an act of pure stupidity.

The term has its roots in the resort, park service and service industries and can easily be dated back at least as far as the mid 1970's. It is widely used throughout the US, but may not be in general use by mainstream society.

Mostly an inside "Joke", created to vent emotion when dealing with the public.

22742 Had to fix it Bill, all the blood was running to my head and I was gettin dizzy.

stranger
07-16-2013, 06:30

Hikers who hike 12 mile days don't smell flowers, they sit around shelters for 5 hours or hang out in town...this guy is seeing a hell of a lot, about 36 miles worth every day!

Slo-go'en
07-16-2013, 11:04
Hikers who hike 12 mile days don't smell flowers, they sit around shelters for 5 hours or hang out in town...this guy is seeing a hell of a lot, about 36 miles worth every day!

I don't know. 90% of what an AT hiker sees in a day are thier feet. After a while, most don't even turn thier head to look at a vista as they go by. I would imagine Mat rarely sees anything but his feet. You need to stop to look around or you'll fall down. In order to do mega miles, I doubt he stops to look around much.

Ezra
07-16-2013, 11:38
You need to stop to look around or you'll fall down. In order to do mega miles, I doubt he stops to look around much.

This is true.

Malto
07-16-2013, 11:57
I don't know. 90% of what an AT hiker sees in a day are thier feet. After a while, most don't even turn thier head to look at a vista as they go by. I would imagine Mat rarely sees anything but his feet. You need to stop to look around or you'll fall down. In order to do mega miles, I doubt he stops to look around much.

Some people can walk and look at the same time.

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 14:56
This is true.
This is false. There are always a few tough spots that require your eyes, but 90% of what I see in a day is not my feet. If it was, I wouldn't hike anymore. Regardless of the pace I travel, I rarely watch my feet. I think anyone who hikes for a good length of time develops this ability. While I suppose not everyone can do it, with some effort and after a thousand miles or so you can get it down. When traveling fast- not looking at your feet is not just a skill- it's a necessary skill. I have never personally hiked with Matt, so I can't guarantee it, but it's a pretty safe bet that he has this ability as well. Your comments make me feel sad that you haven't learned/understood this ability. Better than 90% of my day is spent with my head up. I know this comment may seem offensive, but it's not meant to be. Walking with your head up is a genuine skill that you can learn, as mentioned, it has nothing to do with your pace. However that said; I think most faster hikers and even trail runners would agree that without this ability; speed is impossible. I would easily argue that walking with your head up is the gateway to faster travel, even if you don't have a wish to move faster- it certainly makes the day more pleasant. I know there are a lot of misconceptions about speedy folks- but this is one of the worst. At it's simplest- if a speed hiker had to watch every step they took they wouldn't get far. Their MPD clearly indicates that is not the case. IF you can't walk without watching your feet- learn how. Don't bash folks who can-or worse assume they can't because you can't. 1 MPH or 3.5 MPH- get your eyes off your feet! When you spend your whole day travelling with your head up you may find that you don't mind spending more time walking, in fact, as most speedy folks learn, you may find you see more WHILE walking. I'd be happy to provide some tips if you'd like.

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2013, 17:28
This is false. There are always a few tough spots that require your eyes, but 90% of what I see in a day is not my feet. If it was, I wouldn't hike anymore. Regardless of the pace I travel, I rarely watch my feet. I think anyone who hikes for a good length of time develops this ability. While I suppose not everyone can do it, with some effort and after a thousand miles or so you can get it down. When traveling fast- not looking at your feet is not just a skill- it's a necessary skill. I have never personally hiked with Matt, so I can't guarantee it, but it's a pretty safe bet that he has this ability as well. Your comments make me feel sad that you haven't learned/understood this ability. Better than 90% of my day is spent with my head up. I know this comment may seem offensive, but it's not meant to be. Walking with your head up is a genuine skill that you can learn, as mentioned, it has nothing to do with your pace. However that said; I think most faster hikers and even trail runners would agree that without this ability; speed is impossible. I would easily argue that walking with your head up is the gateway to faster travel, even if you don't have a wish to move faster- it certainly makes the day more pleasant. I know there are a lot of misconceptions about speedy folks- but this is one of the worst. At it's simplest- if a speed hiker had to watch every step they took they wouldn't get far. Their MPD clearly indicates that is not the case. IF you can't walk without watching your feet- learn how. Don't bash folks who can-or worse assume they can't because you can't. 1 MPH or 3.5 MPH- get your eyes off your feet! When you spend your whole day travelling with your head up you may find that you don't mind spending more time walking, in fact, as most speedy folks learn, you may find you see more WHILE walking. I'd be happy to provide some tips if you'd like.That's an interesting question. Personally, I think we are always looking where we step, it's just that we do it subconsciously, so in effect we are looking down (but not for every step), but we're also looking all around as you said.

Sly
07-16-2013, 17:37
Looks like this kid/guy is on target. Is he "troubled" like Ward?

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 17:39
I used to teach classes, primarily to Scout groups- the best analogy I used was it was like driving a car. Hands at 10 and 2 (good posture), circle vision (road, rearview, side mirrors, dash) and repeat. On the trail it's much the same way, as you mentioned- not looking get's instinctual- just like driving. You scan from far to near and if you have good form and good habits your body finds it's way. When something pops up, you focus on it- otherwise you're just cruising along. Once you have your "trail toes" a walk turns into little more difficulty than riding in a car. That's the way walking should feel, and you should be just as free to look around as you do in your vehicle. We all slow down "in traffic" but most of the time we're just sightseeing on a country road. No matter what the speedometer reads...enjoy your walk!

Sly
07-16-2013, 17:41
That's an interesting question. Personally, I think we are always looking where we step, it's just that we do it subconsciously, so in effect we are looking down (but not for every step), but we're also looking all around as you said.

I understand what Just Bill is talking about but, there are plenty of times when/where I need to look where I'm placing my feet.

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 17:44
Looks like this kid/guy is on target. Is he "troubled" like Ward?
LOL- what hiker isn't "troubled". Kid/Guy- I'm 34- so take your pick based upon your age. The trail is a comfort to me- in that respect Ward and I are no different. Other than that (not saying you were...) you won't find me condoning any shots at Mr. Leonard. Thanks for the comment though!

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 17:46
I understand what Just Bill is talking about but, there are plenty of times when/where I need to look where I'm placing my feet.
Keep it to 10% or less if you want to HMHDI! The AT is easily one of the worst offenders (as far as forcing your eyes down) though, despite this being White Blaze, perhaps that qualifier is justified.

dmax
07-16-2013, 17:56
I used to spend my days looking at my shoe strings. Then, in time, I got my pack weight down. The more my pack weight dropped, the more my head came up.

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 17:59
I used to spend my days looking at my shoe strings. Then, in time, I got my pack weight down. The more my pack weight dropped, the more my head came up.
Yar, agree with that. Experience+lightweight+fitness= pleasant stroll. My personal philosophy, regardless of your miles; backpacking should be little more trouble than dayhiking.

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 18:08
An observation of a hike this past spring over the PA rocks;

At times I felt as though I was falling forward down the trail with much effort given to righting myself.
And at other times I felt very connected to the trail through my movements, almost cat like...very strange that this would change, not sure why...perhaps fatigue...will try to pay attention next time as to what is going on there.

I think we have this spatial ability to compute geometry visually and relate it to our surroundings (many times per nano second and without conscience thought) and make the two become one...like throwing a ball from one hand to the other without looking...it's just something we can do.

Slo-go'en
07-16-2013, 19:45
Maybe Just Bill hasn't hiked much on the AT or in New England. I continually plan three steps ahead in order to keep a steady pace down a rocky, root infested trail. If you don't know exactly where to place your foot with each step, you will fall down. This can become an automatic, subconscious task which you don't think much about, but you do do it. I liken it to a dance with a broken rhythm. Once in a while you get to look up and see what's ahead, but mostly your scanning the trail immediately in front of you. For sure there are sections of the AT which aren't littered with things to trip over and you don't have to constantly pay attention to where you step, but for much of the trail, that is not the case.

hikerboy57
07-16-2013, 21:00
An observation of a hike this past spring over the PA rocks;

At times I felt as though I was falling forward down the trail with much effort given to righting myself.
And at other times I felt very connected to the trail through my movements, almost cat like...very strange that this would change, not sure why...perhaps fatigue...will try to pay attention next time as to what is going on there.

I think we have this spatial ability to compute geometry visually and relate it to our surroundings (many times per nano second and without conscience thought) and make the two become one...like throwing a ball from one hand to the other without looking...it's just something we can do. you stopped thinking

Lone Wolf
07-16-2013, 21:23
LOL- what hiker isn't "troubled". Kid/Guy- I'm 34- so take your pick based upon your age. The trail is a comfort to me- in that respect Ward and I are no different. Other than that (not saying you were...) you won't find me condoning any shots at Mr. Leonard. Thanks for the comment though!

you ain't like ward at all

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 21:56
you stopped thinkingAre you sayin I dropped the ball? :D

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 22:20
Rocketsocks- Sometimes you hear the music, sometimes you don't- a bit less Zen- it comes and goes, especially on difficult terrain. Keep at it! Slo-go'en- I mentioned above, it's probably fair to say the AT is some of the toughest terrain around, so 10% is probably light. (75/25 for the sake of compromise?) That said- New England is my favorite by far. I am a former rock climber, three moves, ten moves, twenty moves; watch a climber "send" a route from the ground. Completing the climb in their mind before grabbing the first hold. Knowing how each move must go a certain way to set up the next. That's where I learned the mental moves you describe, and sometimes when it's right the rhythm is unbroken. I fell a lot climbing, about a dozen times in New England. I never said it was easy- just that it's possible. One of the best times I had on any trail was Mahoosuc Notch- I heard the song that day and danced across the top. I just read Jen's new book- at the beginning she talks with Warren Doyle about attempting a speed record on the long trail- he ends their talk by teaching her to Waltz. "Look up. Listen to the Melody. If you want to dance, then you can't fight the music; you have to flow with it." (Quoting Warren-Called Again- JPD) Mr. Wolf- Pleasant speaking with you as always.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 01:06
Ah, don't think...just do!

stranger
07-17-2013, 07:31

I disagree, I have done plenty of 25+ mile days, and a decent amount of 30's...I've never had a problem looking around. Yes in some places, but perhaps you shouldn't throw things out there as fact when in FACT it's your opinion based on your experiences.

jersey joe
07-17-2013, 08:12
Matt said he may try for Duncannon on day 29....

Day 28 - 1000.7 miles -
Day 27 - 960 miles -
Day 26 - 922 miles - Near Delps Trail
Day 24 - 846.8 miles - Jim Murray Property
Day 22 - 772.5 miles -
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

Sly
07-17-2013, 08:48

Keep it to 10% or less if you want to HMHDI! The AT is easily one of the worst offenders (as far as forcing your eyes down) though, despite this being White Blaze, perhaps that qualifier is justified.

Oh, are you the guy? Best of luck/weather/karma.

The Ward part was kind of a joke, many saying he wouldn't be the hiker he was if he weren't off some. I'm of the mind, the record has stood its test in time and its time to be broken.

For the most part I was in the zone when I needed it.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 09:10
There's a fine line between breaking records and broken records...as in, "heard it all before"...but I think the current record will be broken...just a matter of time. I'm all about the "Underdog", the "Long Shot" and keepin it fresh!22786

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 09:26
Odd Man Out- not trying to start a spreadsheet war- keep posting, especially your original vs. Map Man's target- very helpful! Just updating mine too and sharing. 59 miles ahead of my schedule- my "formula" spreadsheet puts him on pace for 55.38 days. Sly- good medicine to you! Kinda figured on the Ward joke- but you never know the intent when referencing Mr. Leonard - Lone Wolf either paid me a fine compliment or dealt a terrible insult- or both- or none. I never met the fella myself, his is a legendary name often misused- as far as I'm concerned- he was a strong hiker who loved the trail- that's all I need to know. I just want everyone to have fun and enjoy. More importantly- GO MATT GO!22788

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 10:21
For what it's worth- I am writing a book- here is the chapter on walking. It's 25 pages long and is actually four sections; Walking, Purpose, Fitness, and posture. Maybe you think I'm a jackass, maybe you think this is a secret virus, maybe you won't read it. I meant my previous comment sincerely- I do think you can walk with your head up, and I do hope everyone gets the chance. Worst case; I don't get much expert criticism on my writing- not many folks here in Chicago. So bring on the insults- Or just read it and see if it helps you out. No motive or hidden agenda- just a sincere desire to share.22789

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 10:48
22803My apologies- I cut off the last page- here is the full doc-

Odd Man Out
07-17-2013, 15:02
Odd Man Out- not trying to start a spreadsheet war- keep posting, especially your original vs. Map Man's target- very helpful!...

Here you go. I added columns for Just Bill's formula. I adjusted the miles for the last two days so it comes out even.

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 16:38
One spreadsheet to rule them all- Thanks Odd Man Out!

stranger
07-17-2013, 20:12
I think he has a really good shot at this, most people fail in the first couple weeks cause the body breaks, he's past that point, 1000 miles in, through Maine and NH and the PA rocks...

I would think he would be pulling your biggest days from Port Clinton to Waynesboro, 320 relatively easy miles, he won't get that many easy miles again, I would want to be going into central-Virginia ahead of schedule, also keeping in mind his last day will probably be something like 50-55 miles.

The scary thing is that is he hikes the next 320 miles in 8 days, a 40 mile per day average, it 'only' puts him at 36.6 miles per day average...so a few 45's need to come out of the bag to gain some breathing room

It's going to be very, very tight!

Cool to follow along, thanks Map Man!

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 20:50
Here you go. I added columns for Just Bill's formula. I adjusted the miles for the last two days so it comes out even.

Hey that great...thanks Odd Man Out

Malto
07-17-2013, 21:50
Meanwhile on the other coast ther is a lady that is putting Scott's PCT record at risk. It is cool to see folks pushing their limits.

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 22:14
Meanwhile on the other coast ther is a lady that is putting Scott's PCT record at risk. It is cool to see folks pushing their limits.

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikesThat's exactly my interest in these type activities.

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 22:25
is there a better spot to track her? I watch her facebook page, but since I don't know the PCT that well... Is there an Odd Man Out of the PCT?

MuddyWaters
07-17-2013, 23:14
If it were my last day or two, I might stash my gear and carry the bare minimum. Possibly run. Kirk ran the 100 miles of SNP in 24 hrs before I think. GA isnt as flat as SNP, but just the same, plan to crank out major miles.

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 23:19
Long way to go still- But- GO MATT GO- hell the way he's posting he could be 3/4 of the way done by now, lol. My only question is when he does finish will he tell us- or will we not find out until a few weeks later... Glad to see he got new shoes- I tried hiking in those NB zeros- they feel amazing- until mile ten. Tough dude.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2013, 00:44
is there a better spot to track her? I watch her facebook page, but since I don't know the PCT that well... Is there an Odd Man Out of the PCT?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BymAg7Luvi9FZ18tRUxfbXVWNjA/edit

jersey joe
07-18-2013, 08:20
A big day 29 for Matt...43 miles into Duncannon.

Day 29 - 1043.3 miles - Stayed at the Doyal in Duncannon
Day 28 - 1000.7 miles -
Day 27 - 960 miles -
Day 22 - 772.5 miles -
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

Jeff
07-18-2013, 09:04
As Matt enters Virginia he better watch for trouble.:sun Where exactly did Nature Boy get "punched out" on his record breaking attempt??

Just Bill
07-18-2013, 09:12
Waynesboro- I don't think Matt will have that problem:)

Odd Man Out
07-18-2013, 09:55
As Matt enters Virginia he better watch for trouble.:sun Where exactly did Nature Boy get "punched out" on his record breaking attempt??

He should be past Waynesboro by now. Remember his postings are delayed by a week or so.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2013, 09:57
Long way to go still- But- GO MATT GO- hell the way he's posting he could be 3/4 of the way done by now, lol. My only question is when he does finish will he tell us- or will we not find out until a few weeks later... Glad to see he got new shoes- I tried hiking in those NB zeros- they feel amazing- until mile ten. Tough dude.

Here is all the PCT data you will need. I was using the Google Earth download along with the Spot tracker.

http://www.pctmap.net/download/mapdl.html

Seatbelt
07-18-2013, 13:13
Does Matt have a trail name? I know I probably have seen it, but can't remember. I have a friend hiking nobo who is looking to meet him if possible.

Sly
07-18-2013, 14:54

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes

With Jennifer Pharr setting the AT supported record and Anish on pace to do well on the PCT, do men's and women's records count anymore? Or is/will it just the fastest time?

Sly
07-18-2013, 14:58
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BymAg7Luvi9FZ18tRUxfbXVWNjA/edit

Apparently those are behind her Facebook page at this time. Yesterday she was about to enter Oregon.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2013, 16:40
Apparently those are behind her Facebook page at this time. Yesterday she was about to enter Oregon.

But with the FB page it was hard to figure out where she was on any given day since it was not updated every day and would list several locations for any given day. Also many days did not give locations. She did give MPD for days 1-21 earlier. Lots of data there depending on what you need.

Just Bill
07-18-2013, 16:51
With Jennifer Pharr setting the AT supported record and Anish on pace to do well on the PCT, do men's and women's records count anymore? Or is/will it just the fastest time?

Sly- Fastest known times is really the source- Peter's current format for the AT will probably prevail, he Lists Jen as the fastest overall, and Andrew Thompson as holding the men's record. So "winning" sex gets the over all, "loosing" sex gets their own separate designation. http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6/appalachian-trail If a fella beat Jen- they get the new fastest overall, Jen goes to fastest female. A lady beats Jen- she's out- Andrew stays on the leader boards.

map man
07-18-2013, 17:55
That hypothetical itinerary that I worked up for a 60 day SOBO thru-hike had a hiker getting to Duncannon in 30 days. Matt has done it in 29. He's on a very good pace to break the record.

(Edit: I added up the days for that hypothetical itinerery incorrectly. The itinerary suggested 29 days to Duncannon (not 30) and that is exactly how many Matt took.)

Odd Man Out
07-19-2013, 00:03
A couple of updates. Just about made it half way in 30 days. He's catching up to the linear pace and ahead of the other benchmarks. He put in several 40 mile days recently.

hobbs
07-19-2013, 00:16
Thanks odd Man Out..Go Matt Go

jersey joe
07-19-2013, 06:05
Halfway in 30 days. Toughest Trail Behind him. Seems to be in good health. Ramping up the mileage.
I'd say that Matt has a great shot at getting this record!

Day 31 - 1117.7 Tumbling Run Shelter
Day 30 - 1077.1 Stealth Site
Day 28 - 1000.7 miles -
Day 27 - 960 miles -
Day 22 - 772.5 miles -
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

jersey joe
07-20-2013, 08:00
Day 32 - 1152.5 - Stealth Site
Day 31 - 1117.7 Tumbling Run Shelter
Day 30 - 1077.1 Stealth Site
Day 28 - 1000.7 miles -
Day 27 - 960 miles -
Day 22 - 772.5 miles -
Day 1 - 37.8 miles

jeffmeh
07-20-2013, 12:11
I would be happy to put together a graphic display of this, like I did last year for Achilles. Odd Man Out, if you want to send me the data in a format I can get into Excel, I will go for it. Feel free to PM me.

It would look something like this:

Just Bill
07-21-2013, 08:24
Does Matt have a trail name? I know I probably have seen it, but can't remember. I have a friend hiking nobo who is looking to meet him if possible.
Matt's nick name is "The Grand" which comes from his time trail running. As far as I know he has no trailname- but I could be wrong...if anyone knows otherwise I'd be curious too. I'd like to propose "Captain" mainly as a play on his last name...

Colter
07-21-2013, 11:58
A couple of updates. Just about made it half way in 30 days. He's catching up to the linear pace and ahead of the other benchmarks. He put in several 40 mile days recently.

I hope he does it. Best of luck to you, Matt!

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 09:55
Thanks for the data, Odd Man Out. Here is what I was able to put together:

Just Bill
07-22-2013, 10:08
Pretty cool Jeff! Neat to see this data graphically... Go Matt Go!

The Solemates
07-22-2013, 12:48
Thanks for the data, Odd Man Out. Here is what I was able to put together:

i think you'll need to extend that mpd scale a bit past 44 here soon :)