PDA

View Full Version : SectionHiking in VA - Genera lnformation Needed

Doctortom
12-28-2012, 13:08
I will be leading four people in late April or early May on a section hike from Manassas Gap south for about 40 - 45 miles. I have the following questions.

1. Is there a shuttle service that could yake us south and then back to our car

2. Woukd we be intruding on the thru hiker sat thsi time. we would walk from a Thursday to Saturday.

3. What are rule changes, if any, for permitting in the SNP. Have not been through since 2011

4. What would be a good ending point if I can't get a shuttle. i.e. safe parking

Thanks,

Lone Wolf
12-28-2012, 13:18
what do you mean "intruding" on thru-hikers?

Doctortom
12-28-2012, 13:34
Maybe the word intruding waswas ill conceived. I meant that, would there be a lot of hikers at that time and the space is limited in the SNP. I section hike a lot, and tryto avoid peak times when the majority of thru hikers ae coming through. I don't like large crowds, I enjoy the people. Did not intend to offend anyone

Lone Wolf
12-28-2012, 13:38
most thru-hikers will be south of SNP at that time. should be plenty of space

Cookerhiker
12-28-2012, 17:44
It's 46 miles from Manassas Gap to Skyland - that should be a safe place for your car.

Permit requirements haven't changed since 2011.

I'm a bit confused about your shuttling situation. You're hiking south but you want the shuttle to take you "south and then back to your car?" So if your car is at Manassas Gap, why is the shuttler taking you south? In any case, I suggest you leave your car at Skyland and get a shuttle to Manassas Gap. Here's the ATC Shuttle List (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-11-6-12.pdf).

Have a good hike.

Doctortom
12-31-2012, 15:05
We are scheduled to hike southbound, but if I can find someone to shuttle us south we can walk back north and have a shorter trip on the lsat day. Still looking for a shuttle. Any ideas??

joshuasdad
12-31-2012, 15:18
Since you live close to that section, I would bring 2 cars, parking one at Skyland or Big Meadows, and one uphill IN SNP from Manassas Gap. I saw broken glass at Manassas Gap when section hiking it last year.

Spend your last night in "luxury" at Skyland or Big Meadows, then drive to Manassas Gap for a short dayhike (for some or all)back to the other car.

Cookerhiker
12-31-2012, 19:39
.... Still looking for a shuttle. Any ideas??

Did you click on the ATC list link that I provided in Post #5?