PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike clothes advice - 100% wool

StylinLP38
12-28-2012, 17:25
Been thinking of of what to bring on the 2013 thru hike. I already have alot of iBex and Smartwool peices that i like alot. Money isnt an issue so I can buy any clothes that would be best. I do have an REI membership. also, everything must be Relaxed Fit.

Right now I have the following items:

iBex U-Sixty short sleeve shirt - Ultra-light, superfine 18.5 micron merino. Crew neck.

Need a long sleeve shirt? been looking at this really nice shirt
iBex 17.5 Nelson L/S - 17.5 micron 165 g/m2 8oz

Pants: I own these Kuhl pants already
Kuhl Renegade Pants 91% nylon, 9% spandex for 4-way stretch Athletik Fit: Relaxed fit

Shorts: Dont have any yet. Checking these out.
Kuhl Ramblr Short's 74% cotton, 26% nylon KühlairTM vent system for comfort

Hat: Got this one already but checking out Mountain Hardwear?
Smartwool Reversible Training Beanie 100% merino wool 1.9oz
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Hat Polartec Thermal Pro fleece offers superior warmth

Hardshell: I already got the $120 REI jacket but thinking of returning it for the $240? or something better?
REI Rainwall Rain Jacket 2.5-layer ripstop nylon - armpit zippers
REI Kimtah Rain Jacket eVent fabric has a unique membrane structure

Shoes: Salomon Men's XA PRO 3D Ultra 2 Trail Running Shoe

StylinLP38
12-28-2012, 17:34
Forgot, I also have a pair of Smartwool 100% wool liner gloves
SmartWool Training Glove

Slo-go'en
12-28-2012, 17:55
I find 100% wool a bit itchy, but a blend isnt' too bad. I can't wear a 100% wool hat unless I line it with something.

I often carry a Woolrich light weight 70% wool shirt-jac as my warm layer. Looks dressy to make me look good in town :) I also have one of thier classic 100% wool, heavy weight "Alaskan" shirts, but its too warm and heavy except for winter.

I still have a pair of wool knicker's with suspenders and knee high wool socks. Maybe I'll wear that outfit up to the RMC Gray Knob cabin for New Years in a couple of days. Since it will be 5 degrees and 5 feet of snow up there, should be just the ticket :)

Drybones
12-28-2012, 20:01
Lightweight wool is the way to go, it's easy on the nose and warm. You should look at the weight of the stuff you plan to take, most costly is not always best.

Zippy Morocco
12-28-2012, 20:07
When are you starting. I. Think a synthetic layer might be good to have. The thin wool garments are nice but thicker take a while to dry in the south. I use a wool ibex short sleeve, a Patagonia merino 1 long sleeve (blend) and a Patagonia cap 4 (new model with the R1 type grid material.) for bottoms I use Rab 120. I also carry a Feathered friends daybreak down sweater for camp.

I find that some synthetic offers a little more versatility.

Papa D
12-28-2012, 22:05
I love Icebreaker Brand Wool - - hey is this Stylin that I met in VT - - maybe one or two shelters south (west) of Hanover, NH in July? Thistle Hill Shelter? We sheltered with a huge dude that made us do stuff for him - - like, "hey man, can you hand me that pack towel - - and hey, if you're going to get water, would you fill my bottles up?" I think that I was hanging with Marky Mark and Wasp about then - - Wasp and I did about 23 to the shelter where we met you and got way ahead of MM - like 4 hours ahead - - MM showed up about 9:30 pm right as we were going to sleep - - I hiked with those guys to about Glencliff and then got ahead of them in the early part of the Whites - they may have zeroed at Chets Place or something - they were trying too many miles and dragging - - anyway, if you're not the same Stylin, sorry but THAT Stylin' had done a lot of the trail in 2011 (maybe 300 miles?) and was planning a 2013 Thru so I was thinking it might be you. Regards!

StylinLP38
12-29-2012, 00:42
Sorry that would not be me. I've always been StylinLP for the last 13 years on all the forums I chat on. Audio Forums is where i started it. Means stylist on a turntable and LP is a record :)

When I was on team Phoenix for LazerQuest back in the late 90's I went by Vagabond for a few years. Thats the only nickname people called me in person to my face. Came up with that name based on the Metallica song "Where ever i may roam" which suited me just fine. Since I liked to travel the untroden path and owned anyone I came across in that game. During tournyments they used to crank that song for me in the maze.
I was called StylinLP in chat forums so thats not the same. Not sure which I am going to choose.

My IT contract ends March29. So I can go anytime in April. Unless they decide to extend my contract again....

Papa D
12-29-2012, 10:11
Sorry that would not be me. I've always been StylinLP for the last 13 years on all the forums I chat on. Audio Forums is where i started it. Means stylist on a turntable and LP is a record :)

When I was on team Phoenix for LazerQuest back in the late 90's I went by Vagabond for a few years. Thats the only nickname people called me in person to my face. Came up with that name based on the Metallica song "Where ever i may roam" which suited me just fine. Since I liked to travel the untroden path and owned anyone I came across in that game. During tournyments they used to crank that song for me in the maze.
I was called StylinLP in chat forums so thats not the same. Not sure which I am going to choose.
My IT contract ends March29. So I can go anytime in April. Unless they decide to extend my contract again....

Got it thanks - - you know, after I posted last night, I looked at your profile (which I should have done first off) - being you are a guy, that should have sealed the deal - - Stylin' (the one I met) was a female. When I first met her, I decided that she was totally F.O.S. and was just making things up but after a while, I realized she did know the trail pretty well - - I couldn't tell if she was a legit backpacker, a blue-blazer, a homeless drug-addict, or what? She may have been a combination of all of the above but did say she was going thru in '13. - - - Ok, back to talking about WOOL because the Alligator is lurking I'm sure: I use this Icebreaker piece year-round as my "sweater" - especially in Summer. In winter, I pair it with an ArcTeryx fleece for really good warmth and insulation.

us.icebreaker.com/Bodyfit-260-Long-Sleeve-Crewe/IBF164096S,en,pd.html?start=98&cgid=mens

bigcranky
12-29-2012, 12:17
I switched over to all-merino wool for base layers several years ago. I prefer the lightest weight -- 150 gram. For a normal March start I would carry a long sleeved and short sleeved top, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. Mix and match to fit the weather conditions. Normally this means the boxer briefs and s/s shirt to hike, and the long stuff for camp, but if it's really cold I'll wear the long stuff hiking.

Merino is not itchy at all, at least for me (and regular wool does bother me.) It never stinks like synthetics, and it doesn't feel as cold when I stop ("thermal shock".) It does sometimes smell like a damp sheep.

The heavier wool stuff is too heavy to hike in and not warm enough in camp, IMO. Like the 260gm or 320gm. I'll carry a synthetic microfleece zip tee or something like the new Patagonia Cap 4 hoodie for a mid layer, worn over the wool base layer. Power stretch is good, too.

Stir Fry
12-30-2012, 11:58
I got turned on to Merino wool a couple of years ago, and fell in love with the stuff. I'm not sure of the science behind it ,but you can wear it for a week and it does not stink. At least not as bad as nylon. If anyone knows the reason I'd like the here the answer. Only down side is cost. I only do a little at a time. Unlike bigcranky I do not care for the 150 gram. I was tearing it when I put it on. Th 200 seem to be more sturdy.