PDA

View Full Version : Retirement hike

lawman
05-28-2005, 20:40
Wow, 53 days to go and I'm going to be retired!!!! Enough of police work, a hiking I will go. Anyway I'm part of the class of 2001, finishing the trail in 13 years. I restarted it in 2002. This year my great friend Huff & Puff and I will hike 970 miles to finish him up on his first AT completion. We are hiking Maine, NH, Vt, small sections in Va, NC, Tn and GA-Fontanna Dam. We are starting in Maine on Aug 8, and finish when we finish. Several hiking buddies will meet us in the fall for a week or so. Personally I think this will be a great trip. Most important we have no set time to finish. I have to be home in mid Nov and we will return to finish it in early Dec. The hiking will be different in that this is the first time that time is not an issue so hike when we want or as hard as we want. Keep us in your prayers, and if you all are out say hi. Lawman :banana

neo
05-28-2005, 23:24
Wow, 53 days to go and I'm going to be retired!!!! Enough of police work, a hiking I will go. Anyway I'm part of the class of 2001, finishing the trail in 13 years. I restarted it in 2002. This year my great friend Huff & Puff and I will hike 970 miles to finish him up on his first AT completion. We are hiking Maine, NH, Vt, small sections in Va, NC, Tn and GA-Fontanna Dam. We are starting in Maine on Aug 8, and finish when we finish. Several hiking buddies will meet us in the fall for a week or so. Personally I think this will be a great trip. Most important we have no set time to finish. I have to be home in mid Nov and we will return to finish it in early Dec. The hiking will be different in that this is the first time that time is not an issue so hike when we want or as hard as we want. Keep us in your prayers, and if you all are out say hi. Lawman :banana

congrats on retiremeant lawman,i hope ya have a great hike:cool: neo

digger51
05-28-2005, 23:46
Just remember lawman when you are retired you never get a day off. Have a good retirement and hike.

Happypappy
05-29-2005, 06:44
Enjoy it, lawman.

TOW
05-29-2005, 08:03
hey lawman, you were at TD in 2001 weren't you? If so I remember meeting you. Have a great hike! I met another cop about that time who had just retired as a DC officer. He was one of the ones that was protecting Reagan when he was shot, I think he's in the video clip.............

wanderer

Frosty
05-29-2005, 15:34
Just remember lawman when you are retired you never get a day off. Yeah, say good-bye to weekends, too. Saturday is just another day, alas. Nothing to look forward to. Holidays don't mean so much, either. All it means is that there is more traffic to the trailheads.

peter2003
06-03-2005, 23:09
lawman,

I retired in 2003 and hiked the trail. Being part of the trail community for a number of months was a great experience and I hope you have a great time. Good luck in retirment and on the trail. When you get to Maine try and hitch into all the trail towns since they all have low cost lodging and are hiker friendly. Also if you were like me you might lose a few pounds too.

lawman
06-05-2005, 10:24
Thanks for all the replies. Weight loss is a goal. I won't push it but let the Trail do it's magic. Again, thanks for all the kind replies.