PDA

View Full Version : McAfee's Knob Hike - Abandoned tent/belongings.....

coolness
12-28-2012, 21:18
Our family hiked McAfee's Knob today, 8 miles round trip. There was snow and ice on the trail but it was passable. Quite a few hikers out as well; it warmed up a bit later in the day. Of course, the views were incredible.

Weird happenings on the trail today..... We came to John's Spring Shelter and there was a tent set up and the previous snowfall had collapsed it and the person's belongings were still in it. Other items were in the shelter. There was an empty beer bottle nearby (quart). The shelter register had an entry from a couple days ago mentioning the situation. We checked inside to see if there was a dead body inside..... No body!! When we came back it was gone. Someone took it down the mountain and piled it near the trailhead. Very strange - abandoned......

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 21:32
Our family hiked McAfee's Knob today, 8 miles round trip. There was snow and ice on the trail but it was passable. Quite a few hikers out as well; it warmed up a bit later in the day. Of course, the views were incredible.

Weird happenings on the trail today..... We came to John's Spring Shelter and there was a tent set up and the previous snowfall had collapsed it and the person's belongings were still in it. Other items were in the shelter. There was an empty beer bottle nearby (quart). The shelter register had an entry from a couple days ago mentioning the situation. We checked inside to see if there was a dead body inside..... No body!! When we came back it was gone. Someone took it down the mountain and piled it near the trailhead. Very strange - abandoned......

When you see fiberglass poles and a walmart tarp you know it's utter trash left by soft bodies unwilling to cart the crap out.

coolness
12-28-2012, 21:46
The sleeping bag was in the tent and a "meditation kit" that had pics and incense in it. Weird stuff - they left everything, even a pack. Wonder if someone got sick. Wonder if it was a SOBO......:confused:

mtntopper
12-28-2012, 21:51
The NPS and RATC were already aware of this.

coolness
12-28-2012, 21:56
mtntopper - do you know what happened??

canoe
12-28-2012, 21:57
The NPS and RATC were already aware of this. So what is the story??? Looks like weekenders. Thats some big looking stuff to be carried far.

Gray Blazer
12-28-2012, 22:06
Tipi's right. You see that cheap stuff abandoned all he time. I would say that if the person's belongings were in it, they may have been off on a day trip however they prolly wouldn't be gone for days. The person who brought it down was prolly being nice. I tend to not want to enable those people by carrying their trash out for them.

mtntopper
12-28-2012, 22:09
It has been there for weeks. It was surely abandoned. I saw it two weeks ago. I was told that the NPS and RATC were aware of it.

HikerMom58
12-28-2012, 22:14
It has been there for weeks. It was surely abandoned. I saw it two weeks ago. I was told that the NPS and RATC were aware of it.

Strange......

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 22:17
Tipi's right. You see that cheap stuff abandoned all he time. I would say that if the person's belongings were in it, they may have been off on a day trip however they prolly wouldn't be gone for days. The person who brought it down was prolly being nice. I tend to not want to enable those people by carrying their trash out for them.

I found almost the same exact crap left in a campsite on my last backpacking trip. I did the manly thing and carried it all out of camp behind a rock and took a picture and then wrote a long screed in my journal about the character of our modern day outdoorsmen. The green propane tanks are a dead-giveaway of the subspecies known as Miscreantium motardus.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/0/b/0/1413296/TRIP-140-175.jpg

Gray Blazer
12-28-2012, 22:21
I found almost the same exact crap left in a campsite on my last backpacking trip. I did the manly thing and carried it all out of camp behind a rock and took a picture and then wrote a long screed in my journal about the character of our modern day outdoorsmen. The green propane tanks are a dead-giveaway of the subspecies known as Miscreantium motardus.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/0/b/0/1413296/TRIP-140-175.jpg

You're so sexy when you speak Latin.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 22:25
Wellhungus salivia detardo---that's me, a drooling idiot.

Gray Blazer
12-28-2012, 22:29
Wellhungus salivia detardo---that's me, a drooling idiot.

LOL I hope I run into you some time. We can play woodwind duets on Bob's Bald.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2012, 22:33
LOL I hope I run into you some time. We can play woodwind duets on Bob's Bald.

I got another friend who's a flautist who I saw on the Bob last week. Find a couple more and I'll bring out my wind quintet stuff of Jacques Ibert and Paul Taffanel.

Gray Blazer
12-28-2012, 22:37
I got another friend who's a flautist who I saw on the Bob last week. Find a couple more and I'll bring out my wind quintet stuff of Jacques Ibert and Paul Taffanel.

That would be awesome.
I'm gonna start picking up my tenor again. I'd love to find a nice selmer clarinet sometime and start that again. For the meantime I've been playing my gemienhardt.
To keep it relevant to this thread, I'd never abandon my axes or anything else for that matter (on purpose).

Cadenza
12-29-2012, 13:07

Where you gonna find a backpacking bassoonist?

Tipi Walter
12-29-2012, 13:52
Where you gonna find a backpacking bassoonist?

It's funny you should ask. Back in the Air Force we had a wind quintet but we didn't have a bassoonist so instead we got a guy to play bari-sax. Worked very well.

Cadenza
12-29-2012, 14:01
Taffanel may not care, but Ibert will roll over in his grave! ;)