PDA

View Full Version : ula ohm 2.0

trapper
12-29-2012, 08:10
did a search on the site for past threads on this pack and came up with nothing. does anyone have any feed back on this pack? im considering buying one just wanted to see if anyone has one of these packs and Jason the goods and bad of it....if it matters im in a osprey talon 44 now

trapper
12-29-2012, 08:11
i don't know where the hell the word Jason come from but it should be has

bigcranky
12-29-2012, 08:53
Too funny, be careful since that's how you end up with a trail name.

I had an original Ohm and I use a Circuit. The Ohm 2.0 is basically the Circuit hip belt on the Ohm. Given that my main issue with the Ohm was the hip belt, the 2.0 version should be a lot more comfortable. I'd still think it has a max load of 25 pounds or so, though, and a base of maybe 12.

The things I liked about the Ohm were: good size, easy top loading with drawstring closure, great side pockets, love the stretchy mesh front pocket which holds a lot more than you might think at first. The hip belt was the only issue for me - again, solved on the 2.0 version.

When I got my Circuit, which is large enough for me to be a year-round pack, I had some custom work done -- I got the drawstring top closure and the stretchy mesh front pocket from the Ohm on my Circuit.

Lyle
12-29-2012, 09:00
I have one. Got it last summer. I've only used it for one relatively short trip in the early fall. Carried it for a four day, three night section of the Tahoe Rim trail. It worked out great. Very comfortable, even with carrying up to 5 liters of water for long stretches. It was quite dry, and streams/springs were an unknown quantity, many were dry. I had two dry camps. The pack was large enough to handle all my gear with ease, and still have the extra space for the water. The weight wasn't a problem for the pack.

I also really liked the compression system. That was the main reason I bought it. I came from a P2 which I loved. The problem with the P2 is that it is too large for my current three season outfit, with no effective compression options. The Ohm 2 solved this problem. I'll still use the P2 for winter hikes when the extra room is needed.

trapper
12-29-2012, 09:44
i looked at the circuit and it just looks huge for me...as i said before im in a talon 44 and don't get anywhere close to needing the extension collar...

G-FOURce
12-29-2012, 10:08
Too funny, be careful since that's how you end up with a trail name.

what a great trail name, too. you could hang a cheap halloween hockey mask from your pack just for emphasis! LOL

swjohnsey
12-29-2012, 10:45
I used one on my thru last year, worked great. You see a lot more Circuits so make sure the gear you plan to carry will fit. I was travelin' pretty light so mine was half empty most of the time.

trapper
12-29-2012, 10:45
lol i won't even carry a water filter because it weighs 4oz i don't think i could carry a hockey mask.

trapper
12-29-2012, 10:49
I used one on my thru last year, worked great. You see a lot more Circuits so make sure the gear you plan to carry will fit. I was travelin' pretty light so mine was half empty most of the time.i keep my gear to a minimum so i hope it fits...neo xlite ...wm down bag...tarp think it'll fit?

swjohnsey
12-29-2012, 11:20
Yep, about what I carried, WM Highlight, BA Flycreek UL1, Neoair short.

colorado_rob
12-29-2012, 11:37
I could not decide between the two, the Ohm 2.0 and the Circuit, so I bought them both. I loaded both up with an identical amount of gear and 10 lbs of food, two pounds of water. I coule see no difference in the volume of the Circuit and the OHM 2.0. there is only 240 cubes difference in the specs. Anyway, the OHM 2.0 is significantly more roomy than the Talon 44, but it's lighter and definitely carries better (I have the Talon 44 and the Exos 46). Basically, the Ohm 2.0 is an excellent pack and I could not be happier with my purchase. (I returned the Circuit, also a fine, fine pack, but it is 9 oz heavier and I do not see what that 9 oz buys you; they both seemd to carry identically loaded w/ 25 pounds).

trapper
12-29-2012, 12:52
awesome guys as always my fellow WB'ers give me the info i need

MuddyWaters
12-29-2012, 13:31
the circuit has the aluminum stay in the center, which holds the pack shape for your back. it is also more durable materials. Sides of ohm are more fragile nylon. I have rip in it which was fixed by ULA before.
you have to take some care with how pack the ohm for most comfort, the crcuit is more idiot proof.

I have both an ohm and a circiut with many miles on both. the ohm is best packed loosely where it can conform to back, if u cram stuff in or compress your bag, it wont be nearly as comfortable. Put a heavy foodbag on top of a stoffed sleeping bag and you may get a buckle in the
back of the pack. THe stay and dense foam of the circuit keepa this from happening.

THe extra wt of circuit buys both comfort and durability.

grateful 2
12-29-2012, 15:08
"you have to take some care with how pack the ohm for most comfort, the crcuit is more idiot proof."

I was wondering why I ended up with the circuit. Question answered. I don't even have to know how to spell to be able to carry it. :)

trapper
12-29-2012, 15:10
dam you have me questioning the ohm now

bigcranky
12-29-2012, 15:29
Get it, try it out, return if necessary and get a Circuit.

Hosaphone
12-29-2012, 17:20
you have to take some care with how pack the ohm for most comfort, the crcuit is more idiot proof.

THe extra wt of circuit buys both comfort and durability.

My base weight is around 10 pounds. ~20 pounds is my upper limit of comfort frameless packs.

On a trail like the AT where I'm rarely going to be carrying more than 5 days of food at a time, a frameless pack makes a lot of sense. In theory, the Ohm is more pack than I need in this situation.

On a trail like the PCT or CDT where I may need a bear canister, carry lots of water at times, have longer resupplies, etc, the extra carrying ability of a pack with a real frame seems to make sense. In theory, the Ohm is not enough pack for me in that situation.

The way I see it, both the Ohm and Circuit are kind of "in-between" packs. They both aim to be not too much pack, not too little pack, but "juuuuuuuuust right". The Circuit leans more towards the Catalyst, and the Ohm leans more towards the CDT.

Which one is more appropriate for you will depend on your baseweight, how tolerant you are when it comes to carrying comfort, and what you need the pack to do for you. Hiking 200 miles unsupported? Ohm probably not the best choice. Going out for an overnight? Circuit is probably more pack than you need.

FWIW I only have experience with the Circuit.

Lyle
12-29-2012, 19:45
dam you have me questioning the ohm now

You can second guess yourself from Springer to Katadin if you give in to it.

Do the research, make your decision, and get on with your hiking. There is no BEST pack, no BEST sleeping bag, and no BEST rain gear. Every decision you make will bring forth compromises. Just gotta recognize them, and deal with them. Any of the packs mentioned will carry your gear for you in reasonable comfort and efficiency.

Have fun.

MuddyWaters
12-29-2012, 21:57
You will learn what works best for your gear and your style. Just play with it.

Firefighter503
12-30-2012, 02:19
I had a Catalyst, and then switched to the Ohm 2.0 when my gear allowed. The Ohm 2.0 just has the CF/delrin suspension hoop and a minimal pad for pack structure. I find that it is plenty for my base weight (8-10 lbs depending on season).

Just as we do as 'traditional backpackers', I think we naturally overestimate our pack size requirements when we move to the 'lightweight/ultralight' style of backpacking. Go with the Ohm 2.0, you will be just fine.

English Stu
12-30-2012, 09:56
I have the Circuit and as it is lighter I have looked a the Ohm, one comment that puts me off is that it Ohm top rides higher than the Circuit and can be felt by the head if tilted back. I usually wear a wide brimmed hat so that would probably occur with me.

trapper
12-30-2012, 14:56
I have the Circuit and as it is lighter I have looked a the Ohm, one comment that puts me off is that it Ohm top rides higher than the Circuit and can be felt by the head if tilted back. I usually wear a wide brimmed hat so that would probably occur with me.no hat should not
be a problem