PDA

View Full Version : high sierra trail or alternative?

thejackal
12-29-2012, 10:23
hi all, i'm exploring options for a california backpacking trip next july/august. first thought is that we'll do the high sierra trail from crescent meadow to whitney portal. i guess that would be about a week plus a couple days of logistics with two cars. it looks super cool but at the same time, my perception is that there will be a lot of people doing the same thing.

does anyone have any pointers for other options to explore that might have less traffic and require only one car? we'd consider anywhere in california.

thanks!

Spirit Walker
12-29-2012, 14:29
The High Sierra Route isn't that crowded. It isn't a trail, but a bushwhack route with some hairy climbs/descents, so not for the inexperienced. The JMT is a lot busier, but also much easier. I only ended up camping with other people a few times on my JMT hike, so even there you can find solitude.

If you only want to use one car, just find a map of Yosemite or Kings Canyon and create your own loop. There are a lot of trails out there, and a lot of places you can wander off trail.

Dogwood
12-29-2012, 16:44
Don't confuse the High Sierra Trail(HST), a 50 mile or so named trail, from Crescent Meadow(CM) in Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP to a junction with the JMT mear Wallace Creek, with the High Sierra Route(HSR), which is a route designed by Steve Roper, involving MUCH off trail travel, which is about 210 miles. I strongly doubt you are talking about the HSR. IMO, and I've fully hiked both, it would be difficult, even for many strong seasoned hikers to thru the HSR in a wk or so! Look at a Nat Geo TI Sequoia/Kings Canyon map or equivalent maps, and it's obvious, that a HST hike heading towards Mt Whitney from Crescent Meadow doesn't end at the HST/JMT junction. There is about another 13 miles or so from this junction to the top of Mt Whitney. And another 9-10 miles or so from Mt Whitney down to the Whitney Portal(WP) Parking area. Here is a good link for the HST:
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/high-sierra-trail.htm This link suggest a very moderate hiking pace.

It would be safe, IMO, to leave cars at both the WP parking area and Crescent Meadow, BUT DO REALIZE, BY CAR these are quite far apart if driving. It's certainly a MUCH shorter distance hiking from CM to WP Parking area than driving. Inquire from rangers if they think you should/must leave a note or info about your suttlle cars with them, etc. I've always hitched to the CM TH. Once at the CM TH MAKE SURE to take in the REALLY BIG Giant Sequoias!

You can pick up your permit, current trail conditions of the HST, and possibly bear canister at CM BackCountry Office/Ranger Station. It's a scenic but longish drive to CM from the Fresno area. The dead end road is routed through a canyon in it's last 15-20 miles or so. If you rent a canister at CM you can conveniently drop it off at the WP Parking lot at the small cafe/gift shop.

The HST is a beautiful Sierra Trail. It drops down into a few canyons including the Kern River(one of my scenic favorite canyons in the Sierras) and goes by the Kern River Hot Springs. You are planning your trek at the height of the busy season so reserve your permit if possible. BUT, even though this trail does see heavy use during when you will be hiking it's nowhere near as crowded as Yosemite Valley or Mt Whitney or even the JMT at the high point of the season. I'm not sure if quotas are in effect for the HST. You might check up on that. It's a REALLY nice hike!

thejackal
12-31-2012, 13:46
Thanks guys. I'm indeed referring to the High Sierra Trail with extension over Mt. Whitney as described in dogwood's link. And yes, the 7 hour drive between Crescent Meadow and the Whitney Portal area is a bit of a downer. Dealing with cars would likely take two or three days. That being said, we'd do it. But I guess my question remains. Given the time and $$ required for the logistics work and the likelihood of crowds, is there another week long trip worth considering? Elsewhere in the Sierras? Shasta, Trinity Alps, Desolation, etc.?

Thanks everyone and happy new year!

thejackal
12-31-2012, 13:59
another question...i imagine that there is a california/northern california hiking community out there posting away somewhere other than whiteblaze. any forums/websites i should be checking out? thanks and hope no one perceives this as heresy!

Dogwood
12-31-2012, 14:15
LOL. I could write a lengthy hiking book on worthy loops and possible hikes in those areas you mentioned. If you just consider Trinty Alps or Desolation Wilderness or around Shasta each on their own I could write a book. And, by no means am I an expert on those areas or hiked on all those trails in even one of those areas. Forget about the Sierras. Get abook on Sierra Hikes. Pick some trails based on your desires after doing a bit of research. I don't know of one that wouldn't be worthy to hike from a scenic perspective. It's the Sierras! Get some Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Yosemite maps such as the Nat Geo TI maps.

Hole-In-The-Hat
01-01-2013, 10:29
Jackal, there's a very active John Muir Trail forum on Yahoo Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/ The discussions include much of the Sierras, including the HST and many other routes and loops.

Miner
01-01-2013, 20:08
High Sierra Trail is nice and no, its not that crowded until you join the JMT for the Whitney portion. And to be honest, most of the complaints of the JMT crowds is only about a few places that are popular with people who aren't really hiking the JMT but just overlapping it for a short distance. Another alternative in the area would be to drive to Roads End in SEKI and hike the Rae Lakes Loop.

Dogwood
01-02-2013, 00:03
Rae Lakes is VERY nice VERY scenic(what Sierra location isn't?, not bad for catching smallish Brookies and a few Bows either) but it's heavily used at some camping areas like on the lower lakes perhaps even much more so than the HST. My advice, if one of your goals is to have greater solitude, is get far away from THs or find camping areas on the lesser used sides of Rae Lake areas or camp on the upper lake. Often, generally the closer you get to Ths the more people you will encounter. There is an awesome smaller camping area on a raised peninsula on one of the lakes. Forget which one, maybe the middle lake, without a map in front of me. Good thing about Miner's Rae Lakes loop suggestion is that the logistics are SO MUCH easier, more convenient, and less time consuming, not requiring a long drive to two differnt far apart THs.

If you can work out the two car logistics for the HST it's a GREAT hike and with the Mt Whitney and WP additions it's iconic textbook scenic Sierra hiking offering oodles of possibilities, variety, and lifelong memories. Very worth it IMHO. It takes in the highest pt in the lower 48. However, it will probably be crowded up there during your hiking window! Try summitting on a weekday, non-Holiday, and/or late in the day. Most summitting will do it as a day-hike and will need to get back down to their cars. You will have the option of camping on your way down to WP parking area. Not sure if it's legal anymore but I've slept atop Whitney twice. AWESOME sunsets and sunrises. Slept up their one July 4 th and saw the fireworks from several towns. Cool. Can be cold(below freezing) up there even in summer and you need to haul your H2O up if no snow/ice is available. Another, very worth it IMHO. Miner is absolutely accurate in his well made pts too.

Here is a hiking loop link that I've used: http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~sierrahiker/ LOTS of EXCELLENT loops!

Here are a few hiking books for some of the areas you are considering that I've used: http://www.trails.com/catalog_product.aspx?productfamilyid=10077
A Falcon Guide Book. I like their books. I use them alot!

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Sierra-Nevada-Barry-

Parr/dp/1560447249 (http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Sierra-Nevada-Barry-Parr/dp/1560447249) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899972926/ref=assoc_qcb_im

And here's another link to the HST with pics to show you what you would be missing if you decide against it.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/the-high-sierra-trail

I'm usually hyped on hiking anywhere, but as you can probably tell, the Sierras, especially the backcountry, is one of my favorite places to hike. And, I know, I've only scratched the surface with the hiking opps there.

kyhipo
01-02-2013, 10:39
hi all, i'm exploring options for a california backpacking trip next july/august. first thought is that we'll do the high sierra trail from crescent meadow to whitney portal. i guess that would be about a week plus a couple days of logistics with two cars. it looks super cool but at the same time, my perception is that there will be a lot of people doing the same thing.

does anyone have any pointers for other options to explore that might have less traffic and require only one car? we'd consider anywhere in california.

thanks!I would also suggest hiking the trails in the sequoia nat forest,and it will lead into the kings canyon trails very pretty get to see all the big trees and see the canyons,truly a nice area!not far from visalia or fresno californiia,ky

thejackal
01-04-2013, 17:38
Thanks a lot everyone. This is very helpful.