PDA

View Full Version : Re-route information needed, Tennessee near Buck Mtn. Road

Hillbilly
05-29-2005, 02:21
I have heard of a re-route made in the area of the AT North of Tenn. Rt. 19, through the Buck Mountain Road/Sugar Hollow/Big Pine Mountain area. Can anyone please advise? (PS - I'm working with the 2001 Guide, and Wingfoot's 2003 edition). Thanks - Hillbilly

On the Trail in July -

reefer
05-29-2005, 05:40
I was thru that section a couple weeks ago when it was first opened. I had heard it added around four miles but to me it seemed a little more. It was an easy hike with lots of water and a lot of nice camping sights which is a good thing because it was 14 miles between shelters before the re-route.

MacGyver2005
05-29-2005, 11:23
There has been an addition, and it is around four miles. The relocation is just a little before Moreland Gap shelter. The trail isn't bad, but it seems that the relocated trail should have covered the surrounding trail north and south, as those sections are a little worse off. Especially when you come from this nice, fresh trail and are thrust up a mountain, and then steep down the other side that is very rocky. That is going northbound, anyway.

As for your literature, you seem to have a few older books. Hit up the Companion, as you can download the recent version for free here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

Hillbilly
05-29-2005, 23:15
There has been an addition, and it is around four miles. The relocation is just a little before Moreland Gap shelter. The trail isn't bad, but it seems that the relocated trail should have covered the surrounding trail north and south, as those sections are a little worse off. Especially when you come from this nice, fresh trail and are thrust up a mountain, and then steep down the other side that is very rocky. That is going northbound, anyway.

As for your literature, you seem to have a few older books. Hit up the Companion, as you can download the recent version for free here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

McGyver - Thanks for the update. Yes, the on-line had a note about the relocation, and I was a few miles (to the south) off on where I thought it would be. It's going to make for a very hard day three for us in July, but, we want to take our time through Laurel Fork Gorge on our way down to Watauga Dam, and across to Iron Mountain. See you on the trail, and thanks - Hillbilly

neo
05-29-2005, 23:51
i did this section before relocation from hyw 19 to damascus in dec 2001,i have heard a lot of stories of hostile locals and land owners,i never had any problems,can any one tell more about this:cool: neo

MacGyver2005
05-30-2005, 09:39
McGyver - Thanks for the update. Yes, the on-line had a note about the relocation, and I was a few miles (to the south) off on where I thought it would be. It's going to make for a very hard day three for us in July, but, we want to take our time through Laurel Fork Gorge on our way down to Watauga Dam, and across to Iron Mountain. See you on the trail, and thanks - Hillbilly
If you are going to be taking a "hard day" or two, I suggest stopping in to see Bob at Kincora. It's 6 miles north of Moreland Gap Shelter, and only a few tenths of a mile up the road (to the left as you are going north) to the hostel. It's a very cool place, and Bob Peoples is an incredible trail maintain and angel to us. It's a $4 donation requested per night, and I really think that anyone hiking should stop in for at least a night. Happy hiking!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

MacGyver2005
05-30-2005, 09:48
i did this section before relocation from hyw 19 to damascus in dec 2001,i have heard a lot of stories of hostile locals and land owners,i never had any problems,can any one tell more about this:cool: neo
The locals, for the most part, hate us there. There are generations deep of Scotch-Irish that have been farming the area since they ran to America however long ago. They feel they work hard and mind their own business. Then the government came in and "took" part of their land for us dirty hikers, so they are very hateful. The first US 19E crossing, just a little bit north of Apple House Shelter, has had a lot of trouble. Cars were constantly being vandalized, and someone was dumping literally truckloads of trash onto the trail on the north side of the road. I walked through there after a recent cleanup, but apparently the trash gets knee deep from these malicious acts. However, Bob informed us that they caught the guy doing this with a hidden camera, so they are trying their best to keep the locals in check. I never had in trouble either, but I was through there in a day as well. Bob also mentioned an old shelter that used to be in there. I cannot remember it's name, but if you look closely on the map of that area you can see where the shelter used to be. It was burnt down, and there is a farmer that claims he did it, and will do it again if another one gets put there! They are not rebuilding that shelter, but they are in the works for getting a new shelter located halfway between Apple House and Moreland Gap to close the 18+ mile gap.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

Groucho
05-30-2005, 13:13
[QUOTE=Hillbilly]I have heard of a re-route made in the area of the AT North of Tenn. Rt. 19, through the Buck Mountain Road/Sugar Hollow/Big Pine Mountain area. Can anyone please advise? (PS - I'm working with the 2001 Guide, and Wingfoot's 2003 edition). Thanks - Hillbilly

On the Trail in July -[/QUO

Map (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/updates/relos.html#elkriver) of the new relocation. On this map the trail is shown going back in NC; on another I saw, but can't locate, it did not. Click to enlarge map or to see the hiking club pictures of the area. Looks like there are some good falls and a river walk added.

neo
05-30-2005, 13:32
The locals, for the most part, hate us there. There are generations deep of Scotch-Irish that have been farming the area since they ran to America however long ago. They feel they work hard and mind their own business. Then the government came in and "took" part of their land for us dirty hikers, so they are very hateful. The first US 19E crossing, just a little bit north of Apple House Shelter, has had a lot of trouble. Cars were constantly being vandalized, and someone was dumping literally truckloads of trash onto the trail on the north side of the road. I walked through there after a recent cleanup, but apparently the trash gets knee deep from these malicious acts. However, Bob informed us that they caught the guy doing this with a hidden camera, so they are trying their best to keep the locals in check. I never had in trouble either, but I was through there in a day as well. Bob also mentioned an old shelter that used to be in there. I cannot remember it's name, but if you look closely on the map of that area you can see where the shelter used to be. It was burnt down, and there is a farmer that claims he did it, and will do it again if another one gets put there! They are not rebuilding that shelter, but they are in the works for getting a new shelter located halfway between Apple House and Moreland Gap to close the 18+ mile gap.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA -->ME 2005

i do remember extreme amount of garbage at road crossing a little north of 19E:cool: neo

Hillbilly
05-30-2005, 15:44
[QUOTE=Hillbilly]I have heard of a re-route made in the area of the AT North of Tenn. Rt. 19, through the Buck Mountain Road/Sugar Hollow/Big Pine Mountain area. Can anyone please advise? (PS - I'm working with the 2001 Guide, and Wingfoot's 2003 edition). Thanks - Hillbilly

On the Trail in July -[/QUO

Map (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/updates/relos.html#elkriver) of the new relocation. On this map the trail is shown going back in NC; on another I saw, but can't locate, it did not. Click to enlarge map or to see the hiking club pictures of the area. Looks like there are some good falls and a river walk added.

Groucho -
Thanks for the specifics. I now have the Relocation map in my kit, and I see that we have re-routed out of Sugar Hollow, where the old burned-out shelter is. This doesn't look as bad as I thought; thanks again - Hillbilly

grrickar
05-30-2005, 17:13
It added about 4-5 miles. We were there when the crew for Kincora was working on the trail, and our group was the first to walk on some of the new trail. It was very muddy, but should be better now. The terrain was very forgiving we were told, compared to before the reroute. We thought we were hiking 11.9 miles that first day out, but it ended up being about 16 instead.

geoffrey morris
07-06-2005, 02:13
Hey Hillbilly, they added around 5 miles to trail north of 19e. Was 11 miles now 16.

G. Morris

The Solemates
07-06-2005, 08:26
this relo isnt really new. it was there in february 04 when we went thru, so it has seen 2 years of thru-hiker classes.

Hillbilly
07-06-2005, 09:53
Thanks to The Solemates, Groucho, Grrickar, Neo, McGyver, and Geoffrey M. for your help. My son (Monkey) and I will be starting out from Roan Mountain on August 1, headed as far as twelve days can give us (hopefully to Partnership Shelter in the Mt. Rogers area). Hope to see some of you on the trail - Hillbilly

geoffrey morris
07-07-2005, 12:18
Hello everyone,

Hillbilly if you need a place to park, I'm near Roar mnt town(5 miles east).About one mile from state line. Very very close to trail crossings @19e and Bear branch rd. Only ten minutes form crossings@ Buck mnt rd and Walnut mnt rd. I can be reached @ 1 423 772 3425 or [email protected]. Give me a call if you like.

Sincerely, G.