PDA

View Full Version : Need some new hiking shoes

Zmaidment
12-29-2012, 14:13
I'm in the market for some new kicks. I need something lite, but durable waterproof but not nesicerily covering my ankle. My ankles are strong, but my knees are not as good. So I am more concerned with shock impact in the heel. Also, I have fairly flat feet. Guess my criteria ranks as this: 1. Weight. 2. Shock impact in heel, 3. Durability
4. Waterproof
5. Overall look. Not that important. Just something simple in reg color.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

trapper
01-01-2013, 16:40
not waterproof but very comfy and fast drying adidas vigor. very reasonable price at $70.. aggressive sole great traction...after i bought mine i seen then on amazon for $45..awesome shoe

Deacon
01-01-2013, 22:39
I just bought a pair of New Balance MT1110 trail runners, though not waterproof. These were $94 on sale. I got then from Zappos where return shipping is free if any purchased shoes don't work. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep them yet. I'm walking in them as fast as I can around the living room.

These are very light, 11.8 oz with the insert removed The best feature of this shoe is the extremely stiff plate in the sole. I tested this by stepping on the edge of a stair step, with just the very edge of the shoe, and I was able to stand without my foot twisting.

I wasn't able to do that with my other trail runners I've had. That will make them great for hiking on rocks.

By the way, when you are backpacking, your feet are going to get wet. GTX shoes will not keep out water,and they take forever to dry. I'd stay with non-goretex. MHO.

Papa D
01-01-2013, 22:49
I'm going to tell you right now, there is NO SUCH THING as waterproof hiking shoes. I don't care what they are made of, how much goop you put on them, what gaiters you might or might not wear, they will certainly get wet - - the key is to have good socks (like darn-tuff or smart-wool) and that the shoes dry fast. Gore Tex is overrated and it is unfortunate that gear shops and manufacturers haven't caught on that it traps water IN as good or better than it keeps it out.

these are my favorite hiking shoes - - I would suggest the mesh lining vs the gore-tex

www.lasportiva.com/mountain_running2.html?&L=1&tt_products%5Bproduct%5D=195&cHash=11d69ea639786432b8b251b0647ef0cd

and just for full disclosure, I have hiked a whole lot in earlier gore-tex versions of LaSportiva shoes and I do like them too - they just take a little longer to dry - - it's a good brand

Papa D
01-01-2013, 22:53
Hey - - I see you are from Charleston - - I hike with some folks from there. My friend Stretch, MEGA '08 is from there - - he lives in Alaska now. P/M me and I'll give you a good line on where in SC to get some shoes.