PDA

View Full Version : Springer mountain to Neel's Gap (My first section hike)

Spirit Bear
12-29-2012, 16:14
My first hike on the AT was back in January of this year, my girlfriend and I stopped at woody gap and walked up to big cedar mountain. I have had the fever ever since and have hiked about 100 or so total miles on the AT on mostly day hikes.

This past July I hiked the first 30 miles, not counting the approach trail. My girlfriend dropped me off about a mile south of springer, I walked up to springer then back down all the way to neel's gap. It took me 3 days plus the next morning to get to Neel's.

In 2013 I plan on section hiking from Neel's to Standing Indian, NC. Finishing up the trail section of my homestate of Georgia. WHo knows from there, I might section hike from standing indian to the NOC or even push to fontana damn in 2013.

I hope to have some time off one day so I can hike the entire trail.

Anyway here is a link to a vid I made of that section hike.

The average temps in Ga section in July was upper 90s highs and low 70s lows...

It stormed one night and I saw my first bear on this section hike. I have seen a total of 6 this year on the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFD8FVGxKw

chiefduffy
12-30-2012, 07:41
Thanks for posting. Nice to see summery stuff!!

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 12:23
Nice Vid Spirit Bear.... u did good! Good luck with ur future plans for hiking in 2013. :) I'll be out there 2 but much further north.

Praha4
12-30-2012, 13:39
great video... I think you will find that the further north you go from Neels Gap, the more beautiful the views ... try to do the Smokies too if u have time

o hiker guy
12-30-2012, 17:07
Hey Spirit, I'll be doing my 2nd section the last week of May where I stopped last Oct. I'll be starting at upper Hightower road at the 72 mile marker and stop at Fontana Dam. Then the third week of July I'm going to do the smokies. Keep me in mind if you think you might want to do these.