PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike advice (time to allow for a thru hike)

Spirit Bear
12-29-2012, 16:33
I have started the fantasy of doing a thru hike and I am slowly turning that into a reality. Right now I am planning financially but most importantly I want to know how many months should I give myself. I have read a few journals and watched Loner's Vlog, FMs and Followed Frenchy from start to finish this past year.

I know my personality, I am not a gym rat, however I am in decent shape for a 40 year old, I use to be a gym rat but haven't hit the weights in 2 years now. Anyway I was thinking of giving myself 6-7 months on the trail if that's possible even. I don't want to feel rushed or miss out on why I am hiking in the first place with the constant pressure of telling myself, I must hike 20 miles today, I cant stop here and enjoy this moment, must push on.

Just from doing my section hike this summer I learned so much about my own physical ability and what those mountains demand out of me.

I am thinking if I do a thru hike to start out slow doing 6-8 miles a day with no pressure, if I feel better then fine I could do a 10-15 mile day but again I don't want to put pressure where I am just thinking every day I must hike 20 miles or so. I am blown away how some of you on here can hike 25 miles in one day, it took me over 3 to hike 30 from springer to neels. Since then I have cut my pack weight down considerably, I have learned and will continue to learn what I need and don't need to hike. It isnt the same as camping, I think that's the one mistake many make is thinking hiking is like camping. It's not.

Any advice from thru hikers who still visit whiteblaze on this subject.

Im rambling on about this.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 17:03
6 months is very comfortable. you'll be fine

max patch
12-29-2012, 18:29
Six months.

Datto
12-29-2012, 19:31
Suggestion: Allow 180 calendar days for your AT thru-hike, then allow 30 calendar days after the completion of your AT thru-hike to come back to normalcy, gain some perspective and time to put a plan together on where you go from there.

Here's a link to timetables of actual AT thru-hikes (see map-man's info in that link also which is very interesting for someone planning an AT thru-hike).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90587-Class-of-2013-Chart-of-Mileage-For-A-Few-AT-Thru-hikers

Datto

Papa D
12-29-2012, 20:14
You have some things working in your favor:

1) You want to start slow - this is good, realistic and proper. I can assure you that after a month, you'll have that 6 or 8 miles done on a regular basis before 10am
2) You have section hiked - you know something about your abilities - many that don't make it, don't have a clue
3) 40 is a great age - - you know yourself and what you can do but you are still on the young side and either are in shape (or as a thru-hiker, will get there pretty fast)
4) You're 40 so (I'm just guessing here) - you have the "idea" of what 5 months away entails - you probably also have at least a few bucks to put aside for this.

The only thing working against you is that you are 40 - - that's a weird age to thru-hike - you're in the mid-life crisis crowd (welcome, I'm one of them) - - are you sure you can deal with 5-months away from everything? Are you comfortable sleeping on the floor of a hostel in the rain with 22 year olds on top of you (knowing you can afford the Hampton Inn down the road and a plane ticket home)? Also, be careful on whiteblaze - - there are a LOT of naysayers here. If you want the trail, it's there - rain, wind, mud, heat, dry springs, ticks, the works - it can be great or it can be miserable - - you decide.

6 months is what the naysayers here allow - - the average thru hike is 5 months - 180 days - - my thought is that if you push yourself just a little beyond what the accepted norm is, you are happier with yourself (at least that's the way I feel) - - why not aim for about 160 days - - start a little earlier than most, get out ahead of the pack a bit and stay there, dropping back if you need to.

my 2cents

oh, yeah - you live in Dunwoody - my wife grew up in Sandy Springs - - I hike a whole lot (and trail run and rock climb) - - P/M if you want to get out sometime - I'll be out Jan 10-13 with another former thru-hiker (Stretch, '08 who is 22).

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 20:15
You have some things working in your favor:

1) You want to start slow - this is good, realistic and proper. I can assure you that after a month, you'll have that 6 or 8 miles done on a regular basis before 10am
2) You have section hiked - you know something about your abilities - many that don't make it, don't have a clue
3) 40 is a great age - - you know yourself and what you can do but you are still on the young side and either are in shape (or as a thru-hiker, will get there pretty fast)
4) You're 40 so (I'm just guessing here) - you have the "idea" of what 5 months away entails - you probably also have at least a few bucks to put aside for this.

The only thing working against you is that you are 40 - - that's a weird age to thru-hike - you're in the mid-life crisis crowd (welcome, I'm one of them) - - are you sure you can deal with 5-months away from everything? Are you comfortable sleeping on the floor of a hostel in the rain with 22 year olds on top of you (knowing you can afford the Hampton Inn down the road and a plane ticket home)? Also, be careful on whiteblaze - - there are a LOT of naysayers here. If you want the trail, it's there - rain, wind, mud, heat, dry springs, ticks, the works - it can be great or it can be miserable - - you decide.

6 months is what the naysayers here allow - - the average thru hike is 5 months - 180 days - - my thought is that if you push yourself just a little beyond what the accepted norm is, you are happier with yourself (at least that's the way I feel) - - why not aim for about 160 days - - start a little earlier than most, get out ahead of the pack a bit and stay there, dropping back if you need to.

my 2centsyou're the king naysayer

Papa D
12-29-2012, 20:19
you're the king naysayer

aw come on L.W. - play nice - - hey, I hiked with someone this July that knows you - Jen from '03 - her trail name was just "Jen" - we talked about you for about 30 minutes walking up Webster Cliffs - no kidding - - my new year's resolution on on Whiteblaze is to take it easy - - so there. Hope you're having a nice holiday LW - hey, is it snowing in Damascus?

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 20:43
aw come on L.W. - play nice - - hey, I hiked with someone this July that knows you - Jen from '03 - her trail name was just "Jen" - we talked about you for about 30 minutes walking up Webster Cliffs - no kidding - - my new year's resolution on on Whiteblaze is to take it easy - - so there. Hope you're having a nice holiday LW - hey, is it snowing in Damascus?

ok. nice. yes, it is snowing in damascus. lightly. about an inch on the ground

Papa D
12-29-2012, 20:45
ok. nice. yes, it is snowing in damascus. lightly. about an inch on the ground

Very nice - hope you're well

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 20:55
Very nice - hope you're well

i'm ornery as ever

HikerMom58
12-29-2012, 21:03
^ FUNNY- You guys are alright :) ...... LOL!! ^

Papa D
12-29-2012, 21:03
i'm ornery as ever

that pretty much figures

Papa D
12-29-2012, 21:05
^ FUNNY- You guys are alright :) ...... LOL!! ^

Actually, I'm a crotchety old man who doesn't want to admit it - - LW is just crotchety period

we're the yin and yang of wb

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 21:25
LW is just crotchety period

nah, i'm just misunderstood

HikerMom58
12-29-2012, 21:35
Actually, I'm a crotchety old man who doesn't want to admit it - - LW is just crotchety period

we're the yin and yang of wb

And WB wouldn't be the same without you, both....I mean that in a good way, of course! :)

nah, i'm just misunderstood

Yeah, I can C that! :p

I think we can all relate to that one..