PDA

View Full Version : Give us a challenge

Papa D
12-29-2012, 21:28
Ok- I have to start this with a little background.

in 1985, I thru hiked the trail. In the late 1990s and through the first decade of this century, I ran kids outdoor programs, mostly backpacking, rock climbing, etc. On particular special "kid" sort of took a liking to everything that I did and signed up for my program 3 times as a teenager As an 18 year old (sort of in my footsteps) he southbound the AT in 2008 which he did in very good style and I hiked with him for about 100 miles. He is now 22 and attends Alaska Pacific University and is contemplating a PCT thru hike. We are very good friends and are going backpacking together for 4 days in January which is really exciting for me. For what it's worth, we have also hiked a lot in the snow and very bad weather together and are actually sort of hoping for an "epic." We respect each other's abilities (for a 22 year old, he is the best woodsperson I know). He has hiked more verified miles in a day than just about anyone I know (54). We are also a bit competitive with each other and would sort of like a 4 day "challenge." He thinks I'm over the hill and I think that if I turn it on, I can out pace him over the long haul so we need something to do starting the night of January 9th (when we'll be setting shuttle potentially) and need to be out by about dark on January 13th and driving home (he flys back to AK on the 15th). We want it to be sick hard - this makes us both happy.

So, here is the question: What suggestions do you guys have for a challenge? It needs to be somewhere in GA,NC, or TN. My guess is that we could easily do 100 miles in 4 days without too much of a problem in normal weather - - if there was snow, that would be even better but we'd probably drop back to 75 miles total - - - we have 2 Subarus full of gear including zero bags, crampons, yak-trax, boots, shoes, tents, the works (yeah, he copied me on my car too) - - ideas include the whole GSMNP in 4 days, all of GA, somewhere like (Carvers Gap) to Damascus isn't even out of the question. We could also do part of the BMT or something totally different. Ideas?

Malto
12-29-2012, 21:32
If it were a one day deal I would suggest the Georgia loop as a nice 1 day challenge. How about the BMT/AT loop in the smokies? May be a bit far for your liking but I'm sure there are shortcuts to trim the mileage down to size.

One tip. When going up an uphill, ask him an open ended question requiring him to talk. It will even the playing field.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2012, 21:34
NOC to Davenport gap. do it! don't be weenies!

Papa D
12-29-2012, 21:50
NOC to Davenport gap. do it! don't be weenies!

Actually, that is a great idea - I haven't checked but that's probably nearly exactly 100 miles and we could start by running up Sassafras we could easily make it to Sassafras Gap Shelter on the 9th which would give us a head start, day two we could get to the Hilton on Friday the 10th, Silers Bald on the 11th, Tri Corners Knob (?) on the 12th and an easy out at Davenport on the 13th - or just to I40 - - pretty good plan - - should be some snow - hopefully no road closures - - I tried to hike the smokies last winter and my car got blocked in by the TDOT. - - nice

Papa D
12-29-2012, 21:54
If it were a one day deal I would suggest the Georgia loop as a nice 1 day challenge. How about the BMT/AT loop in the smokies? May be a bit far for your liking but I'm sure there are shortcuts to trim the mileage down to size.

One tip. When going up an uphill, ask him an open ended question requiring him to talk. It will even the playing field.

I'm breaking out the maps - - what is the Georgia Loop? I've did Amicalola Parking Lot to Neels in one day this year. BMT/AT loop is idea - BMT through Joyce Kilmer plus some is another idea. I like the "open ended question idea" - - I'm 5'8 and just hunch over and bulldog along. Stretch is 6'8 (no kidding) - incredible stride. Thanks

Rasty
12-29-2012, 22:24
BMT portion of the Smokies.

Papa D
12-29-2012, 22:25
BMT portion of the Smokies.

where would we put on, shuttle to, get off?

Rasty
12-29-2012, 22:29
Twenty Mile Ranger Station (Or Fontana Dam and access from the Lakeshore Trail) and Davenport Gap (Big Creek Ranger Station)

Papa D
12-29-2012, 22:31
Twenty Mile Ranger Station (Or Fontana Dam and access from the Lakeshore Trail) and Davenport Gap (Big Creek Ranger Station)

Ok - you like this better than LW's suggestion - NOC to Davenport Gap?

Rasty
12-29-2012, 22:33
Ok - you like this better than LW's suggestion - NOC to Davenport Gap?

No...............His was better but it will just make his head bigger!:)

Rasty
12-30-2012, 01:26
Fontana Dam Trail Head
AT to Silers Bald Shelter – 27.8 Miles
AT to Mount Collins to Fork Ridge Trail to Deep Creek Trailto BMT Campsite 64 – 25.5 Miles
BMT to Campsite 81 – 24.3 Miles
BMT to Lakeshore Trail to Fontana Dam – 13.8 Miles
Total 91.4 Miles

The tunnel to nowhere is on this part of the BMT also.

10-K
12-30-2012, 08:18
If you've only got 4 days and you really want a challenge 2 of those days would be better if they were 30+ miles.

I say that because anyone who would think about doing something like this could hike a couple of 25 mile days in a row. I mean, I could do any of the hikes suggested and I'm 51 - I wouldn't finish as fast, but I could do it.

So... put yourself out there. Do the Smokies in 2.5 days in either direction or something like that.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 09:17
If you've only got 4 days and you really want a challenge 2 of those days would be better if they were 30+ miles.

I say that because anyone who would think about doing something like this could hike a couple of 25 mile days in a row. I mean, I could do any of the hikes suggested and I'm 51 - I wouldn't finish as fast, but I could do it.

So... put yourself out there. Do the Smokies in 2.5 days in either direction or something like that.

oh - yeah - we can both do 30s - - heck, I ran 11 this morning - sounds good 10K - - want to go with us?

Papa D
12-30-2012, 09:18
Fontana Dam Trail Head
AT to Silers Bald Shelter – 27.8 Miles
AT to Mount Collins to Fork Ridge Trail to Deep Creek Trailto BMT Campsite 64 – 25.5 Miles
BMT to Campsite 81 – 24.3 Miles
BMT to Lakeshore Trail to Fontana Dam – 13.8 Miles
Total 91.4 Miles

The tunnel to nowhere is on this part of the BMT also.

This is really good - no shuttle either - - think we'll have to make GSMNP reservations this time of year or just run it - - last time I was there in the deep snow, I didn't see ranger one

10-K
12-30-2012, 09:24
This is really good - no shuttle either - - think we'll have to make GSMNP reservations this time of year or just run it - - last time I was there in the deep snow, I didn't see ranger one

Too easy... you've got miles of downhill coming down to the tunnel. :)

Malto
12-30-2012, 09:24
I'm breaking out the maps - - what is the Georgia Loop? I've did Amicalola Parking Lot to Neels in one day this year. BMT/AT loop is idea - BMT through Joyce Kilmer plus some is another idea. I like the "open ended question idea" - - I'm 5'8 and just hunch over and bulldog along. Stretch is 6'8 (no kidding) - incredible stride. Thanks

The Georgia loop combines the AT from long creek falls to blood mountain, the Duncan ridge trail and the BMT. It Is supposed to be about 50 some miles. It ended up being 57.4 but I added long creek falls and a few off trail adventures into the trip. The killer is the 15,000'+ of elevation gain.

10-K
12-30-2012, 09:27
GSMNP... start at Davenport Gap at 6:00 AM on day one and try to finish no more than 60 hours later at Fontana Dam.

That would be a challenge.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 09:56
The Georgia loop combines the AT from long creek falls to blood mountain, the Duncan ridge trail and the BMT. It Is supposed to be about 50 some miles. It ended up being 57.4 but I added long creek falls and a few off trail adventures into the trip. The killer is the 15,000'+ of elevation gain.

this sounds cool - sounds like fun doing this sometime starting at about 12:01am and doing it all in one day

Rasty
12-30-2012, 13:14
Too easy... you've got miles of downhill coming down to the tunnel. :)

Reverse it. 2000 ft at Campsite 74 then up to Clingmans.

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 13:17
Reverse it. 2000 ft at Campsite 74 then up to Clingmans.

Truly reverse it...walk backwards the whole length of your trip :D

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 13:21
Truly reverse it...walk backwards the whole length of your trip :D

Or do it on pogo sticks...they were sanctioned earlier as an acceptable alternative to hiking poles!