PDA

View Full Version : Pole Snobs "trecking poles" I don't Get You People

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 09:28
Are you a pole snob?

Yepper just gotta have Leki's or Diamond or some fancy set that cost more than my pack

Now I've tried Leki's in store at and frankly couldn't justify the 84.99 apiece or $145 per set price tag

I ended up with some Brass Pro Shops cheapies that worked fine

Some hikers criticized my cheap poles through Georgia

Pole Problems were abound by Neel's Gap and in every town I stopped

Seems Leki's and Diamonds are prone to BREAKING even snapping

Yep them fancy poles failed atleast a handful of times

But my Brass Pro Shops twenty dollar jobs are still in my basement ready for next time

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 09:32
Are you a pole snob?

Yepper just gotta have Leki's or Diamond or some fancy set that cost more than my pack

Now I've tried Leki's in store at and frankly couldn't justify the 84.99 apiece or $145 per set price tag

But my Brass Pro Shops twenty dollar jobs are still in my basement ready for next time
who are the you people?

coach lou
12-30-2012, 09:35
The Wal-mart telephone poles are in my garage waiting for my BDs to break.

Starchild
12-30-2012, 09:44
It's like anything else in hiking/backpacking, You can do OK not spending a lot, sometimes pretty decently. But to get closer to the cutting edge the cost goes up.

Besides the locking tabs, which don't always work well on el-cheapo poles (heck they sometimes don't work well on $$$ ones), a lot of the price goes into light weight and/or compactness. Think that unlike things on your back, these things are going to be constantly swung, a mass at the end of a long stick, that takes energy and the old saying over the miles ounces turn into pounds comes up.

One thing that you can say about the el-cheapo poles is they are most likely stronger then then need to be so can take abuse where the ultralight weight sticks need some consideration that they may not be as robust as a weight savings measure.

What you have is most likely regular aluminum which is heavier then the aircraft alloys that Leki and BD use on their higher end sticks. Beyond that you have even lighter weight in carbon fiber which I recently switched to. The light weight of the CF sticks makes me never want to carry those aluminum telephone poles again - yes they seem that heavy for me now to make that comparison - and no I have never seen a aluminum telephone pole.

Just a side benefit of cold weather hiking with CF poles is that the carbon fiber does not conduct heat away as fast as aluminum so it becomes much easier to hold the shaft when needed instead of the handle - I find that useful in up scrambling/steep climbing and for carrying them on the flats.

Peace

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 09:45
who are the you people?
You people was in reference to trekking pole snobs

Papa D
12-30-2012, 09:47
I often like to hike without poles - - this is why I have the Black Diamond Z-poles - they collapse very nicely and very lightly on my pack when not in use - - they have made it about 600+ hundred miles so far including all of VT, all of CT and 170 miles of VT / NH (VT to Pinkham Notch), the whole Long Trail (separate trip) and a bunch of trips to GA and NC - - they show no sign of breaking - - - I'm not sure why you threw the post out to "you people" - - - I could care less if you like with ski poles or 2 x 4s - - hike your own hike. I like my poles - thanks.

coach lou
12-30-2012, 09:48

I can only hike with HB57, 'cause we use the same poles:cool:

....and only use brass, not glass.

Starchild
12-30-2012, 09:50
I took it as those people who have broken their high end sticks

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 09:51
You people was in reference to trekking pole snobshey weve got all kinds of snobs.ul snobs, speed snobs,montbell down jacket snobs, wm snobs.
really what it comes down to,is the longer youre out on the trail, the more you look to lighten your load.and that usually costs money. it doesnt have to we have a homemade gear forum and there are sites like backpacking light thatgives plenty of ideas and tips to save weight inexpensively.
sure expensive stuff breaks too. even mercedes benz has a service department.
and if you stay around here long enough to search some of the gear forums. its not all about spending top dollar.
we have frugal snobs as well

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 09:52
So that's what the mud pie is for...distracting him in case you break one of yours & you can swap it out with his!. Now we know the rest of the story.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 09:52

you'll run across a lot of aspiring thru-hikers in GA and NC for some reason who take on a little bit of a snobby tone - - it's funny because they often have little clue - - it's just that they have spent so much time sitting in front of computers and in gear stores researching whatever they have that they want to expose you to this knowledge - - a lot of these people drop out - - and figure out that their fancy water filter is just junk after all - - don't take offense - - if you like your Bass Shop poles, hike with Bass Shop poles - - its fine

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 09:53
So that's what the mud pie is for...distracting him in case you break one of yours & you can swap it out with his!. Now we know the rest of the story.
diabolical isnt it

Tuckahoe
12-30-2012, 09:56
There are alway going to be those people that worry more about what other people have or do rather than themselves, just smile, say "well bless your heart," and enjoy your hike.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 09:56
Hikers can be snobs about anything. Hammock vs tent, boots vs trail runners, water purification, stoves, food,...The only right gear is what works for you!

coach lou
12-30-2012, 09:58
Hikers can be snobs about anything. Hammock vs tent, boots vs trail runners, water purification, stoves, food,...The only right gear is what works for you!

'Brass verses Glass'

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 10:01
Are you a pole snob?

i have a sticker on my nagene "**** you and your ****in' leki poles"

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 10:04
i have a sticker on my nagene "**** you and your ****in' leki poles"

and some here dont use poles at all

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 10:04
If I was him I'd mark my poles, or give up eating mud pies.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:09
HB is now thinking about the rest of his gear & how much he has in common with Coach! Probably has a permanent marker out too! But pie two days down the trail is pretty hard to pass on!

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 10:10
If I was him I'd mark my poles, or give up eating mud pies.
im still not completely sold on poles, my day hikes i leave em home and i find im much more surefooted without them, my feet instinctively know where to go. with a full pack, though ill bring em, they definitely help on the uphills and take a lot of stress off these old knees on the downs.also help with stream crossings

HikerMom58
Wannabe Thru-Hiker :welcome to Whiteblaze! You'll love it here. :p

hikerboy57
HB is now thinking about the rest of his gear & how much he has in common with Coach! Probably has a permanent marker out too!fortunately i dont carry a cast iron skillet

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 10:11

thread drift 89%

Don H
12-30-2012, 10:12
Are you a pole snob?

I'm a snob about people who are snobs about snobs;)

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:13
On my VT romp this summer at a defunt hostel a hiker came back with $20 Wally world poles with spring shocks in them!

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:14

Even if they offer you free ice cream?

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 10:15

like me. never have, never will

Papa D
12-30-2012, 10:17
im still not completely sold on poles, my day hikes i leave em home and i find im much more surefooted without them, my feet instinctively know where to go. with a full pack, though ill bring em, they definitely help on the uphills and take a lot of stress off these old knees on the downs.also help with stream crossings

I don't like poles at all on rocky terrain (i.e. the AT in PA and MD) or on steep rocky terrain (coming down Moosilauke or Franconia Ridge, etc.) - - I do like poles when I'm on cruise control on dirt and normal trail conditions - I also like poles in snowy and icy conditions and in grassy potentially snaky conditions (a pole has been between me and a rattler in Joyce Kilmer more than once) - - this is why the Z-pole is so nice for me - - when they are not in use, they are a super light and compact addition to my pack - - its also convenient to put them on my pack at a gas station or restaurant, or a train, etc - - keeps the kit more compact.

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 10:18
thread drift 89%

I'm just going with what you started... LOL! ;)

I like poles. The expensive ones. I'm not a pole snob tho. Whatever works for ya.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 10:21

I often hike with them strapped to my pack on level sections but when it gets dicey I take my poles out and they help my stability and have saved me more than afew times

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:22
Never say never, LW. I tried them this year. Don't care much for them but gout hit me bad last few years. Doing just diet to control it. Out west I normally carry an ice axe & it saved my butt coming off of Whitney coming down with a sprained ankle. Now I kinda think of them as back up. I can and have used them as a cane with flare ups, thankfully only off the trail so far.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 10:25
Thanks and my screen name is as implies

Ive strived from Springer afew times only to last a month or two before extreme exhaustion sets in

I've settled on "section hiking" and doing the entire trail over time

coach lou
12-30-2012, 10:27
I'm just going with what you started... LOL! ;)

I like poles. The expensive ones. I'm not a pole snob tho. Whatever works for ya.

I think I've said this before, I like them Blonde, they could be Poles, czechs, my first wife was ukranian. Italians remind me too much of my sis and mom.:D

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:31

Ive strived from Springer afew times only to last a month or two before extreme exhaustion sets in

More power to you. I always admire section hikers cuzz they do it the hard way. Spend a few weeks every year & just when you get into hiker shape you have to go home. To me it takes more dedication & more money not to mention persaverence to complete the trail as a section hiker.

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 10:32

That's cool!! There are a lot of section hikers on here trying to "knock it out" that way. I hike with my daughter, sometimes, while she is trying to "section it". (she's got over 1/2 of it done) Nice to have u here. :)

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 10:35
I think I've said this before, I like them Blonde, they could be Poles, czechs, my first wife was ukranian. Italians remind me too much of my sis and mom.:D

I think I know this about you, coach... thanks for the reminder tho. :D

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 10:38
More power to you. I always admire section hikers cuzz they do it the hard way. Spend a few weeks every year & just when you get into hiker shape you have to go home. To me it takes more dedication & more money not to mention persaverence to complete the trail as a section hiker.

There's a lot of truth to what you are sayin....especially- " just when you get into hiker shape u have to go home"... true dat. Depending on where you live, it gets harder & harder to get back to where you left off 2.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 10:46

Well those TRAIL LEGS seem ever ELUSIVE to me

At Springer and thru Georgia I was "high on the honeymoon "

By North Carolina It became like a DEATH MARCH past Franklin

Some say I was PUSHING TOO HARD and I needed to PACE MYSELF

Others said keep on you'll get TRAIL LEGS and do 20 miles everyday

By Nantahala I was ready to collapse and had lost about 25 pounds and I knew I was in no shape whatsoever to take on the Smokies

I caught a shuttle to Asheville and took the bus home

kayak karl
12-30-2012, 10:49
Snobs! they leave me alone, but the people i can't deal with are the "whiners and complainers" I don't get You people.

coach lou
12-30-2012, 10:51
Well those TRAIL LEGS seem ever ELUSIVE to me

At Springer and thru Georgia I was "high on the honeymoon "

By North Carolina It became like a DEATH MARCH past Franklin

Some say I was PUSHING TOO HARD and I needed to PACE MYSELF

Others said keep on you'll get TRAIL LEGS and do 20 miles everyday

By Nantahala I was ready to collapse and had lost about 25 pounds and I knew I was in no shape whatsoever to take on the Smokies

I caught a shuttle to Asheville and took the bus home

So, your first section is done. Go get the new poles, [or czechs] and get moving.

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 11:02
OK, so cheap poles work for you - fine. Why do you feel it necessary to put down others whose choice of poles differs from your's?

There are alway going to be those people that worry more about what other people have or do rather than themselves, just smile, say "well bless your heart," and enjoy your hike.

Yes to all of the above.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 11:03
If you lost 20 lbs by then sounds like pushing to hard with to little to eat. Many here are able to keep in hiking shape & can start out with high miles. But everyone is different. Everyone has to find out what works for them. Be it gear, miles, rest days, food, etc. HYOH. There is no magic formula. I could say send me what you are doing, gear, food list, mileage, etc & I could make suggestions. Yet sending it to someone else would get a completely different set of suggestions. It's all a mater of finding out what works for you. Look at each trip what gear you used & how it worked. What you didn't need & might be able to leave behind next trip. What you ate & if you are still hungry why? Many long distance hikers add olive oil or margarine to meals just to add calories. After about a week when your hiking appetite kick in it's needed. You will be burning up to 6K calories a day! Most hikers can't carry that much food & AYCE buffets mean everything in towns. Read up on articles here & learn.

Hope to see you on the trail sometime!

Turk6177
12-30-2012, 11:06
I have used my Easton poles from Dick's sporting goods for several hikes. They were around $50. I bent one of the pole's sections in NH and they replaced it. So far they are holding up well. I guess if they make it 1000 miles and you have to replace them for the second 1000 miles, you are breaking even with the expensive poles.

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 11:09
Wow, a thread about trekking poles was started at 8:28EST and is onto it's third page of comments by 10:08! Can I take it that you all got snowed in last night too?

I'm gonna grab my microspikes and BD trekking poles and head up the hill, I'll probably be the first person on the trail since the snow fell. :sun

coach lou
12-30-2012, 11:10
Wow, a thread about trekking poles was started at 8:28EST and is onto it's third page of comments by 10:08! Can I take it that you all got snowed in last night too?

I'm gonna grab my microspikes and BD trekking poles and head up the hill, I'll probably be the first person on the trail since the snow fell. :sun

I don't know about first....Driver8 hasn't been on yet this morning....he could be out there somewhere.

RCBear
12-30-2012, 11:26
I have been using poles for several years now. i have has gotten so used to them that I will carry them fully extended and horizontal to the ground on flat, even terrain, as it seems to help me maintain a steady and consistent pace for some reason.

Drybones
12-30-2012, 11:31
Are you a pole snob?

If you bought them at Bass Pro Shop instead of Walmart or cut your own, your a pole snob!

Capt Nat
12-30-2012, 11:33
Everybody stand down, he's talking about me. I'm Capt Nat and I'm a tecking pole snob. If you wanna hike with cheap poles, or none, HYOH, but I like my Lekis and because of them I am better than hikers that don't have them. Water tastes sweeter, the sky is bluer. When it's raining and you're wet, I'm still dry. You don't get cold using Leki poles and by sleeping with them the nights are balmy. I hope you are not offended because I hold no ill will toward you because you don't have Leki poles, I just pity you...

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 11:36
I don't know about first....Driver8 hasn't been on yet this morning....he could be out there somewhere.

The Paugussett trail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paugussett_Trail) is across the street from my house, it's a decent trail but not much to brag about, nothing worth driving from Hartford to Shelton to hike.

Now where are my gaitors and spikes? This is the first time I've bothered looking for a lot of my winter gear this year.

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 11:40
Everybody stand down, he's talking about me. I'm Capt Nat and I'm a tecking pole snob. If you wanna hike with cheap poles, or none, HYOH, but I like my Lekis and because of them I am better than hikers that don't have them. Water tastes sweeter, the sky is bluer. When it's raining and you're wet, I'm still dry. You don't get cold using Leki poles and by sleeping with them the nights are balmy. I hope you are not offended because I hold no ill will toward you because you don't have Leki poles, I just pity you...
I'll bet your poo-poo doesn't stink either.:)

coach lou
12-30-2012, 11:43
That's it! ROAD TRIP....I'm hiking with the Skipper!

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 11:45
That's it! ROAD TRIP....I'm hiking with the Skipper!
Don't forget your snobbish Leki Poles.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 11:49
My pole doesn't Leki!:eek: Therefore I am.

coach lou
12-30-2012, 11:52
Don't forget your snobbish Leki Poles.

Oh wait, I can't hike with him. I have BDs.......but, they have the corked handles.:(

Malto
12-30-2012, 11:56
Snobs! they leave me alone, but the people i can't deal with are the "whiners and complainers" I don't get You people.

+1..........

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 11:56
Oh wait, I can't hike with him. I have BDs.......but, they have the corked handles.:(
Oh, you're one of those real upitty ones.

Don H
12-30-2012, 12:13
Even if they offer you free ice cream?

I avoid people who offer free ice cream AT ALL COSTS! Don't you get it, the ice cream's the bait.

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 12:24
I have a wooden stick a friend made and gave to me years ago....somehow I made over 1500 miles section hiking with it before knowing any better...
i'm such a loser! :blubbering:
my p-p-pack is wrong, my b-b-boots are "ghetto" (old thread), and now my hiking stick is so prehistoric it isn't even mentioned here...:sob:
I'm gonna take up golf... :sniffle:

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 12:31
I have a wooden stick a friend made and gave to me years ago....somehow I made over 1500 miles section hiking with it before knowing any better...
my p-p-pack is wrong, my b-b-boots are "ghetto" (old thread), and now my hiking stick is so prehistoric it isn't even mentioned here...:sob:
Don't cry. Come over to the cafe and become a 1%er. We'll buy you a shot of methanol.

coach lou
12-30-2012, 12:32

I can let you use the Wally-world sticks w/plastic handles, in Maine, so you won't feel out of place.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 12:36
What makes your boot's ghetto?

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 12:36
I can let you use the Wally-world sticks w/plastic handles, in Maine, so you won't feel out of place.

You guys are the best!:banana

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 12:38
What makes your boot's ghetto?

Some guy in the boots vs trail runners thread said high top boots and thick socks were "ghetto". I was crushed!!

Grampie
12-30-2012, 12:51
This post got sorta out of hand very quickly. Now for my 2 cents worth: You want to hike with poles, that's your business. If you want to use high dollar poles, that's your business. If you want to use a plain old stick, that your business. Do your own thing and be happy about it and don't try to convince ohers to go your way. Thats why we have the expression...."Hike your own hike." Now for a new one. " Use your own pole."

Dogwood
12-30-2012, 13:01
Hey, there are all types. For some, trekking poles can be a status symbol or a necessity to complete the ideal hiking ensemble. I've seen it on rare ocassions too. It's usually the hoity toity gear oriented people who feel they must have the latest greatest sometimes lightest wt gear. I have to be conscious of NOT coming off like this myself! If people are pole snobs(I'm biting my tongue on the usage of that phrase, sounds like a ....) don't let that negatively influence your hike. Roll with whatever you feel comfortable with in regard to hiking poles, walking stick, crutch, pogo stick, etc. I sent my trekking poles home on my AT hike. I found a sturdy hickory walking stick in GA and rolled with that almost my entire thru. Had all these people sign it. I still have it.

bfayer
12-30-2012, 13:27
Are you a pole snob?

My question is why do you care what other people use for gear? and why do you have an attitude about it?

brian039
12-30-2012, 14:02
My Leki's have about 5,000 miles on them, the Wal-Mart poles that I bought before I got the Leki's lasted about 30 miles.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2012, 16:25
The only time you should even notice someone elses gear is if they are obviously unsafe, or they ask your advice.

Jennifer Pharr Davis hiked her first thru with a mop handle, and an old hand me down pack of her brothers .
She isnt a real hiker I guess.
Whats between your ears is far more important than the crap you carry.

In most pursuits, the more emphasis put on brands, appearance, etc, the more of a POSER someone usually is.
Function is all that counts.

daddytwosticks
12-30-2012, 17:16
I once broke one of my cheap Wal-Mart poles on a section hike. I didn't wanna carry the damn thing back to the trailhead, so I burned it in the fire pit. :)

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 17:17
The only time you should even notice someone elses gear is if they are obviously unsafe, or they ask your advice....Function is all that counts.

I would tweak that a bit. If I have a good-faith interest out of curiosity, I don't mind "noticing" or asking e.g. "I like that stove; where did you get it?" without offering unsolicited (and in my case, ignorant) advice and opinions about someone else's gear.

What I don't like is when a hiker initiates the conversation to brag about his cool gear or asks a question as a pretense to show what great stuff he has, like the guy described in Bill Bryson's shelter experience in the Smokies.

coolness
12-30-2012, 17:17
Well said Mountain Mike. If you can afford the high $$ stuff, go for it. If not, use what works for you. I use a pair of aluminum ski poles and drive a 1990 Olds Cutlass Ciera. They both get me where I want to go. :)

tiptoe
12-30-2012, 17:25
wannabe thru-hiker, calm down and use whatever equipment you like. no need to be so belligerent about everything.

Flounder940
12-30-2012, 18:05
I once broke one of my cheap Wal-Mart poles on a section hike. I didn't wanna carry the damn thing back to the trailhead, so I burned it in the fire pit. :)

Can't stop laughing!

Moose2001
12-30-2012, 18:16
why do you care about what I, or anyone else carries or uses? Sounds more like you're the snob and the know it all!

paistes5
12-30-2012, 18:26
I am by no means a pole snob (snicker snicker), however I am completely happy with my BDs. They were a life saver for me hiking over rocks. They deflected a couple of times when I about went down but they never even came close to breaking. I absolutely love them but I could really give a rats ass if someone uses them or not or what brand they use.