PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Preferences "Gotta Eat"

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 09:59
How do you cook I've seen all different types of stoves even guys who cook on campfires some extreme ultralighters had no stoves no cooking lived of cliff bars Jerky raisins and trail mix

Me I stand by my JetBoil pint boils in 3 minutes flat and I'M ready for business

The 8 oz cannister lasts me aweek and that's 2 hot meals coffee and my nightly mug of hot chocolate and cleanup is a breeze just put another cup of water boil up shake around and wipe to dry

One problem was cannister availability MANY of the smaller towns had none unless there was a hostel so planning was vital for towns with an outfitters store or a Walmart often carried more than I needed out of fear as I totally ran out before Unicoi and none in Helen until I met some slackpackers who sold me afew cans for $10 bucks a pop but I paid cause there was none until atleast Hiawasse or Franklin that I could locate anyhow

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 10:15
Love the Jetboil- it's not the lightest cooking system but I like it.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 10:30
the Jetboil is fine for boiling water. It's not so useful in cooking. My kit changes depending on what I'm doing:

Alcohol Stove - - my lightest and easiest rig - once you get good at it, you can boil water in a one liter TI pot and do a little "cooking"
Pocket Rocket - - lately, I've used this more than anything - light, easy to cook in the 1 liter TI pot, fast, versatile
MSR Whisperlite - - this is still the "standard" - field repairable, and super versatile - - this is my go-to winter camping stove

I've also experimented with a wood burning stove - - I think this is a fun challenging way to cook and have enjoyed making one - - still not a go-to stove yet though

I also own a Jetboil - I think they are very limiting - - mine pretty much rides along on road trips for making coffee and tea at highway rest areas - that's about it.

Some people also use esbit "tablet" stoves - I don't know much about these and don't see them so much but probably ok too.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 10:33
Love the Jetboil- it's not the lightest cooking system but I like it.

Really I praise it's efficiency and effectiveness

I've tried afew different cannister stoves they just ate the fuel especially with my coffee and cocoa habits so for years I settled on White gas which has it's proclivities as well but lasted better

Then afew years back those jetboils hit the scene and after seeing them in action I just hadda buy one and have used it exclusively for years now

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 10:37
Nice part about canister stoves is they can be ground shipped to places along the trail. If you don't have a "Companion" or Awall's Guide I suggest you get one. Read up on articles in planning here will help a lot.

russb
12-30-2012, 10:52
Depends on the trip. Most often it is reheating home dehydrated meals in my cookpot over an alky burner. Boil time isn't a factor for me as it takes the same amount of time to rehydrate food regardless of stove. I am often eating something while I wait anyway.

"Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth?"
-Vinny Gambino

The above quote is not intended to be directed at anyone. My post reminded me of it is all.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 10:58
the Jetboil is fine for boiling water. It's not so useful in cooking. My kit changes depending on what I'm doing:

Alcohol Stove - - my lightest and easiest rig - once you get good at it, you can boil water in a one liter TI pot and do a little "cooking"
Pocket Rocket - - lately, I've used this more than anything - light, easy to cook in the 1 liter TI pot, fast, versatile
MSR Whisperlite - - this is still the "standard" - field repairable, and super versatile - - this is my go-to winter camping stove

I've also experimented with a wood burning stove - - I think this is a fun challenging way to cook and have enjoyed making one - - still not a go-to stove yet though

I also own a Jetboil - I think they are very limiting - - mine pretty much rides along on road trips for making coffee and tea at highway rest areas - that's about it.

Some people also use esbit "tablet" stoves - I don't know much about these and don't see them so much but probably ok too.

One thing worth noting is I'M not a "trail chef" I eat mostly Ramen Lipton sides or stuffing and usually breakfast burritos from mountain house Bacon n eggs wrapped in a tortilla

Other than that I keep it simple afew Snickers
nn payday bars and summer sausage for snacking on

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 11:01
Really I praise it's efficiency and effectiveness

I've tried afew different cannister stoves they just ate the fuel especially with my coffee and cocoa habits so for years I settled on White gas which has it's proclivities as well but lasted better

Then afew years back those jetboils hit the scene and after seeing them in action I just hadda buy one and have used it exclusively for years now

Yes, I agree. I think the cooking system that you choose depends on what you choose to eat on the trail. If you need hot water for, like u said, coffee and hot chocolate, it works well. I only carry dehydrated food for dinner so I just need something to boil water. My food is so light b/c it's mostly dehydrated foods and doesn't take up hardly any space.

Papa D said he uses the pocket rocket- that is great as well but I still like the efficiency of the Jet Boil set up... love the easy clean up as well.

RodentWhisperer
12-30-2012, 12:12
I think the cooking system that you choose depends on what you choose to eat on the trail.

+1 on that. So much depends upon the food you have elected to carry, and how it needs to be prepared. Lots of people will give you pacific gear recommendations, but you need to think about just what gear you need to make the food you'll have.

Oh! And welcome to WB. :welcome

Starchild
12-30-2012, 12:58
Re: canister fuel availability to anyone with such a concern, have you considered making a alchy stove to get by if canisters are unavailable for a section? I know out of about 4 12 oz Al cans and a knife I have made a workable stove and windscreen, though that is during 'at home' conditions. It really does not seem difficult and perhaps a little inconvenient to use, but it does seem like a workable temp solution if there is ever a problem finding canisters.

Enic
12-30-2012, 13:36
On my through I carried and cooked with a MSR Dragonfly. It is heavy and bulky... not what I would recommend for most hiker, but I love it. Fuel was never an issue. I cooked for two thru- hiking stomachs the whole trip, and ate good. We carried squash and other veg from almost every town. It was wonderful to be able to sautee fresh morels in the spring, and fry fish when the locals offered up fresh brook trout in VA. If a foody is hiking... I do recommend this stove. If you are just boiling water, get a lighter set up. Hike your own hike.

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 13:47
There are scads of WB threads on stoves, all of these (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=3029163) in the "Gear" forum alone. Happy browsing.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 14:05
This is what I use. Trail Designs Ti-Tri Fissure Titanium Cone. I ordered a ULC and they sen't me the upgrade for free. The beauty is I can use alcohol, esbit tablets or wood. I added a simmer ring to cut off all the intake holes except two for when I need to simmer a sauce or cook rice. The entire kit weighs about 8 ounces (Snowpeak Mini Solo Set + Cone + Floor + Soda can stove) It all fits inside the cookset.

10-K
12-30-2012, 14:18
Esbit - 1 tablet per day.

paistes5
12-30-2012, 18:29
I'm not a thru hiker, gonna make that trek in 2014 and plan on taking my pocket rocket. I've used it on all my backpacking trips so far and very satisfied with it. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Feral Bill
12-30-2012, 19:44
SVEA, every time except when
a. melting snow for more than one.
b. not cooking at all.

JAK
12-30-2012, 21:48
Oatmeal for quick breakfast.
Boil water with Kelly Kettle or whatever, make tea or coffee, make oatmeal, add ****, pack and go.
Lentil and Herbs and Dried Veggies for Supper.
Here you can take your time, with something slow like a vegetable oil wick stove, and tea.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 08:10
Oatmeal for quick breakfast.
Boil water with Kelly Kettle or whatever, make tea or coffee, make oatmeal, add ****, pack and go.
Lentil and Herbs and Dried Veggies for Supper.
Here you can take your time, with something slow like a vegetable oil wick stove, and tea.

Vegetable oil wick stove

That sounds interesting

Got any pictures

hikerhobs
12-31-2012, 15:58
ESBIT :cool:

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 16:16
Esbit - 1 tablet per day.

I was curious about Esbit have see those little Israeli foldup stoves at the surplus store seems pretty lightweight can you tell me more.