PDA

View Full Version : Pawling NY to Pittsfied MA or White River Vt Section Hike Any Advice

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 11:13
I am planning my next section hike probably for February or March as a launch date

Having not seen much of he Northeast section of the AT was planning on starting from AT rail station near Pawling NY and going to atleast Pittfield MA and if up to it and feeling good yet knocking off Vermont

What do you think and are there any suggestions and exciting things to see or interesting places along this stretch to stop and check out

Thanks

coach lou
12-30-2012, 11:18
The rail stop on the AT is only on weekends, the main station in pawling is about 1.5 miles away.The Taconic Range, catches alot of snow from the Hudson Valley, from Pawling all the way to the Greens, and then there will be MEGA snow.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 11:21
Snow to slush depending on temps. Short hiking days. Terrain not to bad. Temps around freezing during the day. Consider footwear carefully. If you make it over Greylock it's a good indicator of VT conditions ahead.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 11:34
The rail stop on the AT is only on weekends, the main station in pawling is about 1.5 miles away.The Taconic Range, catches alot of snow from the Hudson Valley, from Pawling all the way to the Greens, and then there will be MEGA snow.

I was planning on crampons and wool socks in my danners

Living in Wisconsin I am accustomed to snow and cold weather but we don't have mountains here just some over glorified hills that are named mountains

I got snowboots but the problem there is they don't breathe well and my socks get soaked with sweat

My other concern is finding my way in NYC from Amtrak to the MTA line and getting either to Pawling or AT station

coach lou
12-30-2012, 11:41

Living in Wisconsin I am accustomed to snow and cold weather but we don't have mountains here just some over glorified hills that are named mountains

I got snowboots but the problem there is they don't breathe well and my socks get soaked with sweat

My other concern is finding my way in NYC from Amtrak to the MTA line and getting either to Pawling or AT station
I have just sent my son a message....he works for Metro North RR

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 11:54
I have just sent my son a message....he works for Metro North RR
Cool you can email it to ers53214@yahoo and I'll have it all in my phone

Thanks a million

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 12:11

I'm guessing that the Amtrak traim is arriving at Penn station? If so, it's only about a mile and a half walk to Grand Central to pick up the MTA train, I used to do that walk as part of my morning commute.

Grand central is a little intimidating at first, but is fairly easy to navigate, if you have any trouble finding your way in the station, just go to the information kiosk in the center (can't miss it, there's a large clock on top) and they can help you out.

Last thing, when boarding the MTA train show a conductor your ticket and ask which train car you should sit in, not all of the train cars open their doors to let passengers out at the A.T. stop, this may be true at Pawling station as well.

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 12:20
Since you're accustomed to real winter, I think you'll do OK provided you don't overestimate your daily mileage. It will depend on how deep the snow is and whether there are icy conditions. One anecdote: I'm neither an expert on winter hiking nor CT/MA but I happened to do a 3 day/2 night hike in CT in February and came to a stream crossing (Guinea Brook) which would have been an easy rock-hop in non-winter conditions. In my case, the rocks & boulders were all ice-encrusted. I ended up shimmying across a fallen log. The point is, this crossing occupied more time than "normal." Check out the photo here (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=129942).

You'll have one short but extremely steep descent in CT down St. John's Ledges to the Housatonic River. If it's icy, this will be time-consuming.

I'd be very leery of continuing on into VT. The mountains are higher with longer ascents/descents, some steep which would not be fun in icy conditions. The snow is likely deeper at those higher elevations.

Hope it works for you - should be beautiful!

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 12:25
MetroNorth timetable (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/har_mf_jan5_april6_2013.pdf) for Harlem Line serving Pawling.

coach lou
12-30-2012, 13:03
MetroNorth timetable (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/har_mf_jan5_april6_2013.pdf) for Harlem Line serving Pawling.

My son has confirmed this. Out of Grand Central, not Penn Station.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 13:14
THANKS Alot

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 13:22

THANKS Alot

I should mention that the above link was the weekday schedule. Here's the weekend schedule (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/HAR_SS_NOV_17_2012.pdf), the one that stops at the AT.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 14:24

There is bus service from all three airports to Grand Central. I still remember the old commercials about taking the train to the plane. I have taken the bus from Laguardia to Penn Station a few times and the bus going to Grand Central was available. Worst case you can take the Subway from Penn Station to Grand Central.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2012, 16:25
Late Febuary/ early March is typically when the snow pack is at it's deepest. Some of the coldest temps of the season often occur around Presidents weekend.

That's still a few months away, but all indications are this will be a cold and snowy winter. The section of trail you propose to hike is in the snow belt. Coastal storms which pass to the south of New England dump a lot of snow along that streach of the Appalachians.

The AT isn't set up very well for winter hiking and is really difficult when there is deep snow on it. First, there are all the low hanging branches you'll keep knocking your head against. There will probably be a lot of blow downs to get over or around. Then there is the problem of keeping track of where the trail goes. It is really easy to miss turns and twists in the trail when every direction looks the same and blazes are difficult or impossible to see. If it happens to be snowing at the time, you can get really off track.

If this winter shapes up the way I think it will, having snowshoes will be a must. Crampons might be handy once in a while but will be less important then the shoes. I would also recommend a GPS with the AT waypoints loaded, as you'll probably need that a lot to keep on track. You might need a shovel to clear the snow out of shelters.

Late March might be a better time frame. The days are getting longer and warmer. The chances of getting extrem cold temps are greatly reduced. You do run a bigger risk of getting caught in slush storms, so it's a trade off. Late season winter storms can be really nasty. Be prepared to hold up for a day or two.

Good Luck!

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 16:29
I'm guessing that the Amtrak traim is arriving at Penn station? If so, it's only about a mile and a half walk to Grand Central to pick up the MTA train, I used to do that walk as part of my morning commute.

Grand central is a little intimidating at first, but is fairly easy to navigate, if you have any trouble finding your way in the station, just go to the information kiosk in the center (can't miss it, there's a large clock on top) and they can help you out.

Last thing, when boarding the MTA train show a conductor your ticket and ask which train car you should sit in, not all of the train cars open their doors to let passengers out at the A.T. stop, this may be true at Pawling station as well.

you can walk it or take a shuttle train between penn and grand central. i usually walk.penn is on 34th and 6th, grand central is on 42nd and 3rd

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 16:30
There is bus service from all three airports to Grand Central. I still remember the old commercials about taking the train to the plane. I have taken the bus from Laguardia to Penn Station a few times and the bus going to Grand Central was available. Worst case you can take the Subway from Penn Station to Grand Central.

there is a shuttle train from kennedy. bus sevice from laguardia

Rasty
12-30-2012, 16:33
you can walk it or take a shuttle train between penn and grand central. i usually walk.penn is on 34th and 6th, grand central is on 42nd and 3rd

I think I have done that walk. It's just a long tunnel.

Starchild
12-30-2012, 16:50
Have you considered from the AT Metronorth station southbound, you really are on a weather boarderline at that point and there may be a great difference in snowcover northbound vs southbound. But in winter it's hard to tell and the whole thing can be snowcovered.

It is also possible to get 'close' to the AT at points on Metro North west of the Hudson River in the Harriman/bear Mt/sterling forest area, no where as close as the AT train stop, but not out of the question either.

I would almost suggest doing the west of Hudson to East of the Hudson section (AT train station to Harriman) as many of those sections are likely to be more used by NYC area day hikers and any snow already packed.

I do feel the VT section for a thru will be difficult at this time of year.

Good luck

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 17:04
...I would almost suggest doing the west of Hudson to East of the Hudson section (AT train station to Harriman) as many of those sections are likely to be more used by NYC area day hikers and any snow already packed.

I do feel the VT section for a thru will be difficult at this time of year.

Good luck