PDA

View Full Version : So I Burn My Trash big deal

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 12:37
On the trail I met some rather unhappy campers who griped about me burning my trash the worst was a coupla Hippy types who gave me the fifth degree about air pollution and climate change and I took the time to kindly explain that with all the cars trucks and factories out there me burning my wrappers and tissue was a mere drop in the bucket

Look I understand leave no trace but why carry all that junk

Besides the plastic burns especially well very helpful when starting a fire

I contend burning my trash is more enviromentally friendly than throwing it on the ground or dropping it in the privy like too many do unfortunately

The only thing I packout is empty canisters because for obvious reasons you can't burn them

If it's plastic or paper even wrecked clothing BURN IT

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 12:39
On the trail I met some rather unhappy campers who griped about me burning my trash the worst was a coupla Hippy types who gave me the fifth degree about air pollution and climate change and I took the time to kindly explain that with all the cars trucks and factories out there me burning my wrappers and tissue was a mere drop in the bucket

I contend burning my trash is more enviromentally friendly than throwing it on the ground or dropping it in the privy like too many do unfortunately

The only thing I packout is empty canisters because for obvious reasons you can't burn them

do you have a problem with smokers?

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 12:42
wood is the only thing that should be burned in a fire pit. period

Papa D
12-30-2012, 12:47
Ok - I don't have any problem at all with your hiking poles - - i certainly do have a problem with you burning plastic - - it might not even be more environmentally friendly than dropping it on the ground and neither are LNT. It sounds like you are starting your thru hike planning (my assumption due to your WB i.d.) with a lot of strong opinions that are somewhat against the mainstream - - you'll meet a lot of "hippy types" on the trail and a lot of other "types" - - I hope that you'll want to get along - - I've learned to get along with (and even learn from) rednecks and hunters, anglers, and hippies and boy scouts and family camp outs - - the whole show and I'm not a member of any of these groups - - learning from others is part of the trail experience. I've thru-hiked and I've hiked thousands of miles since then and I'm still learning - - you might want to open up to some new ideas - - please don't burn plastic - - as a matter of fact, you rarely need a fire at all - - unless it's winter, I really almost never build a fire. Fires are destructive and LNT ethics teach us to avoid them when possible (or keep them very small) - I recommend both.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 12:48
wood is the only thing that should be burned in a fire pit. period

I'm agreeing more and more with Lone Wolf these days - - thanks LW - - I don't mind a bit of paper (wood product) if you insist.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 12:51
do you have a problem with smokers?

No not really infact I saw very few cigarette smokers on the trail

Lots of druggies seems every other camp or so somebody was passing a joint and that crap really stinks inside a shelter

One guy loved his cigars and afew pipe smokers

Overall most were courteous and didn't smoke inside the shelters

Grampie
12-30-2012, 12:56
During my thru-hike I was amazed how much thru-hikers cared for the AT and how they did observe "Leave no trace." It was mostly the day hikers and short section hikers who left their crap behind for someone else to deal with.

Tipi Walter
12-30-2012, 13:00
I've burned hundreds of books over the years and I'm not even catholic ha ha ha. And I've burned thru some ziplocs too.

Coffee Rules!
12-30-2012, 13:06
Reading this and his other posts I'm beginning to think Wannabe also burned the punctuation keys on his keyboard. That or he never met a run on sentence he didn't like.

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 13:15
Reading this and his other posts I'm beginning to think Wannabe also burned the punctuation keys on his keyboard. That or he never met a run on sentence he didn't like.

Ha Ha!! me and run on sentences?... yeah, we are good 2 :)

He's really stirring things up round here.

I love to burn trash, if there's a campfire going. If "they" didn't pack it out... just burn it baby.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 13:18
Well WTH are you looking for commiseration? Or were you looking for a verbal way to handle the issue? If I was in your boots confronted with a bunch of environmental whiners, I would give it a nice kind approach and kill this moment and say "I feel this is the best way to reduce my footprint, I plan to pack it out with the least food smell possible." I have felt that Planes, Cars, and Volcano's have a far bigger impact and by the way are you not familiar with what a trash-to-steam plant does?

Try to find a nice kind way of "we agree to dis-agree"

Also new plastic bottles and some bags are now becoming biodegradable and are made from Feed Corn byproducts....

The Scouts I hang with in the past on long backpacking trips repackage all food in double bags of Paper bags and a layer of thin garbage bag and burn it. Then pack out the residuals.

I also agree with LW, I have not burned my trash in a long time. Unless it's bound to attract animals.

max patch
12-30-2012, 13:29
One problem with burning other "stuff" is that the other "stuff" doesn't completely burn.

Do you put out your fire by peeing on it?

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 13:30

I wouldn't single out the OP in this thread. There is incessant grammatical, punctuation, and spelling rulebreaking by many on WB.

Coffee Rules!
12-30-2012, 13:33
I wouldn't single out the OP in this thread. There is incessant grammatical, punctuation, and spelling rulebreaking by many on WB.

I'm well aware of that. It was intended as humor. Not my fault he's sensitive.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 13:33

Hey I resemble that remark

Thirsty DPD
12-30-2012, 13:34
Grammar nazi much

Are you one of those pathetic losers who trolls chatboards and points out every spelling mistake

Look genius it's a FORUM not an english class homework assignment

Oh the terrible run-on sentence get a real life dude

Are we on Candid Camera?

max patch
12-30-2012, 13:34

Rule breaking is 2 words. :)

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 13:35
Hey I resemble that remark

Now I didn't mention any names in particular...:p

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 13:36
Now I didn't mention any names in particular...:p

no ofenz takn

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 13:38
no ofenz takn

noah fence mint.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 13:38
Grammar nazi much

Are you one of those pathetic losers who trolls chatboards and points out every spelling mistake

Look genius it's a FORUM not an english class homework assignment

Oh the terrible run-on sentence get a real life dude
these are our real lives

Nutbrown
12-30-2012, 13:46
I was wondering when we were all going to start drinking again...

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 13:47

I think some already are

max patch
12-30-2012, 13:50
Oh you private messaged me to eat a "bag of dick's" and F-off

When the thru hiker constant hunger kicks in after a couple months you'll be looking for that bag. :)

Slo-go'en
12-30-2012, 13:52
100% paper products are fine to burn. But when it comes to plastic, foil lined wrappers and clothes, be a big boy and pack that crap back out.

brian039
12-30-2012, 13:55
The way that I look at it is, it's only a few ounces of trash, I can carry that until I get to the next trash can tomorrow.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 13:57
Well this thread's spiral burning... I take a bet its got 30 minutes left.....

max patch
12-30-2012, 13:59
Well this thread's spiral burning... I take a bet its got 30 minutes left.....

It'll be folded into the cafe.

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 14:00
I'm betting right about NOW....

10-K
12-30-2012, 14:04
Hike alone and you won't have to deal with it

If you're going to be with a group it helps to get along which means you're probably going to have to compromise in various ways.

peakbagger
12-30-2012, 14:08
Realisitically polyethylene plastics burn completely in a hot fire with no significant emissions. Polyethylene is made with oil and puts out about the same poluution as burning a liquid fossil fuel. PVC on the other hand is nasty stuff and should never be burned except in hazardous waste incinerator. PVC is rarely used for food stuff containers or packaging. If you look on the plastic container, it will usually show what it is made of.Look for PE or HDPE. Ziplocks are polyethylene. They burn well unless they are full of wet garbage. The plastic coating on tuna packs also is polyethylene. With a hot fire it is quite easy to burn the foil packs to get rid of the food odor and and then remove the remaining foil from the pit in the morning. I have cleaned out many a foil balls from fire pits in the AM and carried them out. I expect most hikers would be hard pressed to tell the difference in odor between a wet chunk of wood thrown on small fire or bring PET.

What doesnt work and tends to put out foul smoke is wet plastic filled with garbage left on the coals as someone walks out of the site in the morning. I have experienced this more than few times over the years and it wasnt just newbies but also included ultralighters who acted like they knew what they were doing.

kayak karl
12-30-2012, 14:15
wannade, you need to grow up. if you can carry it in, you can carry it out. quit trying to justify your actions by what others do.

Coffee Rules!
12-30-2012, 14:18

I missed the memo about **hic** stopping.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 14:29

Step away from the kool aid....

Miner
12-30-2012, 15:14
My only problem with burning trash on the trail is despite all the claims by burners that their trash will completely burn, I find alot of alumunium foil, cans, plastic residue in most fire pits that somehow didn't completely burn. So despite the claims, the evidence in the field is trash doesn't burn as completely as some lazy people claim.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 15:25
i never burn anything in a fire pit. i throw my trash in the privy hole

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 15:27
Miner, there is a huge difference between a campfire and how we dispose of chemicals like PCB and other things.... Aluminum melts about a 1000+ degrees - Their used to be a chemical incinerator plant owned by Rollins on 322 in NJ where this stuff was incinerated... it was big bucks for the company and good for the environment, and peakbagger post is correct, but a fire isn't confined, so yes it would be hard to get rid of everything.

G-FOURce
12-30-2012, 15:30

Just curious... Did they sneak into your house and steal all the punctuation keys from your keyboard? LOL

bfayer
12-30-2012, 15:39
wannade, you need to grow up. if you can carry it in, you can carry it out. quit trying to justify your actions by what others do.

Agreed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

slow mind
12-30-2012, 15:43
Nothing says campfire like a drain oil soaked tire, and it burns hot enough to get rid of those pesky pieces of foil.

Blissful
12-30-2012, 15:52
The 10000 pieces of broken glass shards around the fire pit shimmer in the firelight.

Blissful
12-30-2012, 15:55

A classic cave troll -

I can see it after rewatching Lord of the Rings.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 16:14
Just curious... Did they sneak into your house and steal all the punctuation keys from your keyboard? LOL
we covered grammar nazis on page 1

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 16:19

Nope I'M keeping it ultralight and pried em off with a screwdriver myself

Besides when somebody speaks it's not like anybody sees punctuation anyhow

Infact I find punctuation to be rather meaningless

Rasty
12-30-2012, 16:21

You missed the one to the left of the enter key

yaduck9
12-30-2012, 16:21
Oh you private messaged me to eat a "bag of dick's" and F-off

Wow your a real TOUGH GUY

Talk about OVERLY SENSITIVE

your going to have to develop a thicker skin, if you want to be anything other, than a wannabe......

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 16:25

No one really cares I do believe, quite honestly.

I also would like to encourage people to LNT but being mean spirited about it just doesn't work... can u say counterproductive?

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 16:26
No one really cares I do believe, quite honestly.

I also would like to encourage people to LNT but being mean spirited about it just doesn't work... can u say counterproductive?

those would be the tougher skin snobs

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 16:32
those would be the tougher skin snobs

Is that a New form of snobbery

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2012, 16:34
Here we go again with another whiny ass bitch thread. BTW, I always start fires, just trying to do my part in warming the Globe.
:)

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 16:35

in a society based on snobbery and class distinction, snobbery rules.but hyoh, even if you're doing it all wrong

ChinMusic
12-30-2012, 16:36
With the powers invested in me, I hearby name you, "Incinerator"

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 16:50

Think so... but there's all kinds, you know. Hang tough & you'll get past it all....well, maybe not, but it's all good. There's really nice people on here. Even the ones that don't appear to be at first. :)

HikerMom58
12-30-2012, 16:51
With the powers invested in me, I hearby name you, "Incinerator"

You're :cool:

Stir Fry
12-30-2012, 16:52
Spelling and grammer are over rated. See if you can read this.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 16:56
...In fact I find punctuation to be rather meaningless

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377847_528100760542252_1646508671_n.jpg

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 17:00
IMO I'd much rather see hikers burn anything that will completely burn.You must have a really hot fire to make sure that what you burn does completely burn up.Hikers coming behind you will be in for a surprise if you've left unburned crap that will produce vapors which they may not like.Many times I get to a firepit which someone has had a fire that only burned a bit before going out.Then the firepit becomes a trashpit..

coolness
12-30-2012, 17:05
Wow...... This thread really ran off the rails.......

Ignoring the "garbage" in this thread, I and my fellow hiking friends practice LNT whenever possible. This includes picking up others trash as well. We always have a campfire (not an inferno) and burn all paper type packaging and carry out the rest, even if we have to hang a bag on the outside of our packs. I'm surprised at the hostility in this thread.

daddytwosticks
12-30-2012, 17:09
So...how long does cheese last on the trail? :)

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 17:13
It can last indefinitely as long as you don't burn it.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 17:14

Depends? Are we talking about something good like an aged cheddar or a 60kg wheel of Reggiano Parmesan?

Camel2012
12-30-2012, 17:22

Usually, until I stop for a snack. Good stuff doesn't last long.

coolness
12-30-2012, 17:25
I love me some cheese on the trail. Cabot Extra Sharp mixed in with scrambled eggs....... Yum....

slow mind
12-30-2012, 17:26
Will a Parmesean wheel fit in a tire?

Rasty
12-30-2012, 17:28
Will a Parmesean wheel fit in a tire?

Would need to be a big tire.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 18:07
Wow...... This thread really ran off the rails.......

Ignoring the "garbage" in this thread, I and my fellow hiking friends practice LNT whenever possible. This includes picking up others trash as well. We always have a campfire (not an inferno) and burn all paper type packaging and carry out the rest, even if we have to hang a bag on the outside of our packs. I'm surprised at the hostility in this thread.

Shhh Don't call it a Train Wreck.... :rolleyes:

Don H
12-30-2012, 18:12

Suggested reading http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

Papa D
12-30-2012, 18:16
I went for a long (in town) hike with my dog this afternoon - - on the way out, it dawned on me that Wannabe might be a troll - - just starting something - - the way he put it about the trekking poles, "what's with you people ..." and then wanting to burn plastic in a fire but maybe not (he also joined WB today - jumped in and started off sort of insulting to lots of trail people). Troll spotters?

If he is "real," I'm unimpressed:

Hmm - you think you're smarter than most because you shop at a Big Box Bass Shop and burn your Plastic (so far, that's what I have out of you)
Doesn't smack of brilliance to me - - other words come to mind
I also think Alligator should shut this one down - going nowhere fast

Don H
12-30-2012, 18:21
i never burn anything in a fire pit. i throw my trash in the privy hole

I don't believe you.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 18:25
I went for a long (in town) hike with my dog this afternoon - - on the way out, it dawned on me that Wannabe might be a troll - - just starting something - - the way he put it about the trekking poles, "what's with you people ..." and then wanting to burn plastic in a fire but maybe not (he also joined WB today - jumped in and started off sort of insulting to lots of trail people). Troll spotters?

If he is "real," I'm unimpressed:

Hmm - you think you're smarter than most because you shop at a Big Box Bass Shop and burn your Plastic (so far, that's what I have out of you)
Doesn't smack of brilliance to me - - other words come to mind
I also think Alligator should shut this one down - going nowhere fast

Are you insinuating that I am a troll

Is shut down code for banning

You want me banned for what

Gosh can't I ever join a chat room or blog without getting into trouble

I'M here to blog brotha not cause trouble

Whats your deal pal

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 18:26
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377847_528100760542252_1646508671_n.jpg

Let's not forget the ubiquitous misuse of "your" and "you're":
There's a big difference between feeling you're nuts and feeling your nuts.

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 18:29

I said that earlier as soon as he started the burning trash thread. I think he's SevenPines from last week. How convenient these threads start on Sundays. Wait till he jumps on and say HA-HA you've been trolled. I'm high upon a mountain top while you're on your computer.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 18:34
Wannabee - All I can say is you are off to a good start - folks are putting you on ignore so fast, as you & your thoughtful posts and demeanor, are "winning" us over, have you ever blogged before?

Rasty
12-30-2012, 18:35
I said that earlier as soon as he started the burning trash thread. I think he's SevenPines from last week. How convenient these threads start on Sundays. Wait till he jumps on and say HA-HA you've been trolled. I'm high upon a mountain top while you're on your computer.

You may be correct. It does provide some new entertainment until it get's nasty. That is the problem with having a pet troll. Trolls are fun but can't be house trained!

Papa D
12-30-2012, 18:37

ok - at least I know I'm not completely off base

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 18:40
Who's gonna be first to address his new thread?

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 18:41
Who's gonna be first to address his new thread?
Too late. Camel got it.

Papa D
12-30-2012, 18:46
Are you insinuating that I am a troll

Is shut down code for banning

You want me banned for what

Gosh can't I ever join a chat room or blog without getting into trouble

I'M here to blog brotha not cause trouble

Whats your deal pal

Well, let's say you are a real hiker and actually new to this board and "just want to blog"

most people that join this board want to discuss hiking and backpacking (mostly on the AT and other trails too) - they are hiking enthusiasts. They typically want to make friends, learn from others, and explain their knowledge and reasoning to others. Typically, they don't post things (or start new threads) with insulting tones or in a way to just start something. If you had started a thread about trekking poles and then said something like, "man, I think my Bass Shop ones are ok" then that's cool, but you insulted everyone that likes their particular brand for no reason - - you also insulted hipples (for no reason) - - in this thread, you plainly started off by suggesting a practice that runs pretty much dead against LNT - - now, everyone here practices LNT to some degree ( and some may think that LNT geeks are a little snobby too) but very few posters (especially first day members) just propose something that is a head-on collision with what most folks believe and practice and then act insulted when people don't warm to them and make friends right off.

I am willing to listen to you or maybe even learn something from you - you know, shared discourse, give and take, that sort of thing but SO FAR, I stand by my statement that I'm completely unimpressed with your "ideas" and certainly your ability to make friends here. That's my "deal."

I didn't chat with SevenPines but the word is, "you're him." Are we wrong?

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 18:52
So I found a well worn pair of boots at a shelter.How many here would pack them out?18700

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 18:55
So I found a well worn pair of boots at a shelter.How many here would pack them out?18700
I hope you picked them up with your hiking poles and didn't touch them with your bare hands.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 19:05
Wannabee - All I can say is you are off to a good start - folks are putting you on ignore so fast, as you & your thoughtful posts and demeanor, are "winning" us over, have you ever blogged before?
now why in the world would you put him on ignore. this is the most non-cafe fun weve had in weeks.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 19:06
now why in the world would you put him on ignore. this is the most non-cafe fun weve had in weeks.
we managed to drift the thread on the very first page. this is cyberhiking at its finest!

Rasty
12-30-2012, 19:08

Since last Sunday with Seven Pines!

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 19:10
we managed to drift the thread on the very first page. this is cyberhiking at its finest!
This thread was destined for drift from the original post.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 19:11
I pity the moderators when they get back from their hikes. They missed a lot of fun today.

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 19:11
I hope you picked them up with your hiking poles and didn't touch them with your bare hands. I always carry a pair of leather work gloves.You wouldn't believe what kind of crap people leave behind.Then with gloves on I can go through the ashes and pick out all the unburned stuff for packing out.No way I'd touch some stuff:eek:.....

Papa D
12-30-2012, 19:16

I didn't put him on ignore - - you know, even when I've had arguments with Hiker Mom (about my thinking that she is overly fearful of "crazy sketchy people" out there) and with Lone Wolf about BSA and and other things, there has been give and take - - you think this, well, ok, but what about that - well, I accept that but then this and and so forth - - Wannabe just says: You guys are all dumb - this is what I do ..... Even his stove post was: how do you cook? several people answered and he replied, well, I'm sticking with my JetBoil - it's best for me because of ______ and you are all wrong - - Well, why in the heck would he start a thread if he didn't want to know about WHY others do what they do? I'm not a big fan of "Spots" for example but I've seen them used and am sort of curious about them - I've even thought it was cool to watch someone's "Spot" move on trailjournals - - I don't want to carry one or want anyone tracking ME but it's an interesting topic - the back and forth is what's important.

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 19:20
I liked Seven Pines - I think he was funny, deliberately so. From the get-go, it was so obvious that his posts were hyperbolic caricatures; rather than being a troll, he was doing a parody of a troll.

I detect a noticeable tone difference between Wanna Be and Seven Pines. Not saying I'm "right" and maybe I've been fooled but I do see a difference.

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 19:22
I liked Seven Pines - I think he was funny, deliberately so. From the get-go, it was so obvious that his posts were hyperbolic caricatures; rather than being a troll, he was doing a parody of a troll.

I detect a noticeable tone difference between Wanna Be and Seven Pines. Not saying I'm "right" and maybe I've been fooled but I do see a difference.

Haven't you ever seen the movie Sybil? :rolleyes:

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 19:23

I would totally burn them boots just to see how they burn

Sombody left like 3 pairs of heavy duty suspenders at Low Gap shelter

Our fire was dying down so I threw on some suspenders man them things flared up like gasoline n burned for like five minutes

Papa D
12-30-2012, 19:24

I went back and looked at Seven Pines' post - - they are more sophisticated for sure - - I didn't "know him" so I didn't like or dislike - - I agree, probably not the same person so I think one of the following statements is true (I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping for #1)

1) Wanna Be is a good person who has some pent up hard and fast ideas and is just overly excited about them and got off on the wrong foot.
2) Wanna Be is not a good person - he has done some camping, run across some thru-hikers, doesn't like us and wants to cause some trouble (or just make everyone mad)
3) Wanna Be is a Troll

Cookerhiker
12-30-2012, 19:25
Haven't you ever seen the movie Sybil? :rolleyes:

No I don't go to movies much at all. Lincoln was my first movie in at least 4 years.

So I'm sorry, I don't understand your point.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 19:28
I didn't put him on ignore - - you know, even when I've had arguments with Hiker Mom (about my thinking that she is overly fearful of "crazy sketchy people" out there) and with Lone Wolf about BSA and and other things, there has been give and take - - you think this, well, ok, but what about that - well, I accept that but then this and and so forth - - Wannabe just says: You guys are all dumb - this is what I do ..... Even his stove post was: how do you cook? several people answered and he replied, well, I'm sticking with my JetBoil - it's best for me because of ______ and you are all wrong - - Well, why in the heck would he start a thread if he didn't want to know about WHY others do what they do? I'm not a big fan of "Spots" for example but I've seen them used and am sort of curious about them - I've even thought it was cool to watch someone's "Spot" move on trailjournals - - I don't want to carry one or want anyone tracking ME but it's an interesting topic - the back and forth is what's important.
absolutely always weve all gotten annoyed here with people we dont agree with, but ive learned more from those i dont agree with rather than those i do.it makes me consider anothr point of view.
at least until i can rejustify my own.
ive said it before its kind of like guys arguing about their favorite football teams. it can get pretty heated sometimes but at the end of the day, we all love football.

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 19:29
No I don't go to movies much at all. Lincoln was my first movie in at least 4 years.

So I'm sorry, I don't understand your point.

It's an old movie about a woman with split personalities :)

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 19:31
It's an old movie about a woman with split personalities :)
didnt she think she was sally field or the flying nun or something?

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 19:32
didnt she think she was sally field or the flying nun or something?

That was the nice one!

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 19:34
Don't need the drama!

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 20:00
IMO I'd much rather see hikers burn anything that will completely burn.You must have a really hot fire to make sure that what you burn does completely burn up.Hikers coming behind you will be in for a surprise if you've left unburned crap that will produce vapors which they may not like.Many times I get to a firepit which someone has had a fire that only burned a bit before going out.Then the firepit becomes a trashpit..

nope. burning trash is laziness. pack it out. wood only in fire pits. period

Papa D
12-30-2012, 20:03

sometimes being set in your ways works - this works for me

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 20:08
I went back and looked at Seven Pines' post - - they are more sophisticated for sure - - I didn't "know him" so I didn't like or dislike - - I agree, probably not the same person so I think one of the following statements is true (I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping for #1)

1) Wanna Be is a good person who has some pent up hard and fast ideas and is just overly excited about them and got off on the wrong foot.
2) Wanna Be is not a good person - he has done some camping, run across some thru-hikers, doesn't like us and wants to cause some trouble (or just make everyone mad)
3) Wanna Be is a Troll
There's always Roadside and IrishBastard.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 20:11
There's always Roadside and IrishBastard.
i think he wouldnt have been so nice to me.

atmilkman
12-30-2012, 20:20
i think he wouldnt have been so nice to me.
Yeah, you're right. I was called a few choice words myself. Ahhh, the good old days. Auld Lang Syne. It's almost that time.

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 20:38
nope. burning trash is laziness. pack it out. wood only in fire pits. period I will have to politely disagree with you on this.Many times I have arrived at a shelter only to find partially eaten foods still in some kind of container,Mountain House dinners or other half eaten noodles for example.No way I'm packing out someone's leftover lunch/dinner.All gets completely burned and whatever is left from burning then that is packed out.In this area it really gets trashed when the "thru hiker crowd" is moving thru in April.Some hikers are real nice and leave bagged trash on the bear lines:eek:.....I don't day hike in,I usually come up to the AT on one of the area side trails and circle back to my truck or get picked up...

JAK
12-30-2012, 20:42
What are all the reasons for not burning trash? Curious.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 20:43

Putting people on ignore is absolutely preposterous

If everybody ignored everybody all the time what fun would it be

Nah I just go with the flow let it ride

Papa D
12-30-2012, 20:51
What are all the reasons for not burning trash? Curious.

First, let me say that campfires in general are a problem - there are way too many campfires and unless it's really cold, it is not necessary to build a fire to sleep outside - - there need not be the automatic connection between the two

Building campfires and fire rings strips the forest of what it uses to make soft water absorbing soil and it's ability to grow trees and plants and sustain itself - - in the short term, scrounging the ground for everything that might burn creates erosion and certainly visual pollution as areas (especially around shelters) become "naked grounds"). Removing rocks from streams to create fire rings is un-necessary for a very small appropriate warming fire and certainly also tends to erode stream beds. Constant traffic back and forth through wooded areas (off trail) to forage for firewood also tends to damage the forest around the campsite.

If you have a fire and are careful just to burn plain paper (or plain cardboard) without any foil, plastic, or trash, that's probably ok. Burning plastics is toxic and harmful to the environment. On top of this, the residue left in the fire-pit is every bit as much littering than just throwing it on the ground and the ethical standards by which about 99% of us ascribe to includes leaving no trace which (obviously) includes littering.

Burning trash also sets a terrible example for others - - if everyone burned their trash, all campsites would be adjacent to trash incinerators (not a nice thought)

you packed it in, you've eaten most of it, please just pack it out (it's what we do)

Lone Wolf
12-30-2012, 20:56
I will have to politely disagree with you on this.Many times I have arrived at a shelter only to find partially eaten foods still in some kind of container,Mountain House dinners or other half eaten noodles for example.No way I'm packing out someone's leftover lunch/dinner.All gets completely burned and whatever is left from burning then that is packed out.In this area it really gets trashed when the "thru hiker crowd" is moving thru in April.Some hikers are real nice and leave bagged trash on the bear lines:eek:.....I don't day hike in,I usually come up to the AT on one of the area side trails and circle back to my truck or get picked up...
you volunteered to be a caretaker so pack it out

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 21:07
What are all the reasons for not burning trash? Curious. A lot of hikers do not like the noxious gases released into the atmosphere from burning plastic.My personal view is that I can burn more than I can pack out.Those who don't burn plastic may not know it but they are in one way or another releasing something into the atmosphere too unless they walked to the trail.IMO the stuff that I burn is only a very small amount of noxious material.If hikers would not leave this crap I would not burn it.Anyone ever met a 20something year old trail maintainer? With the exception of summer work crews most of the everyday type maintenance is done by the 50 y.o. types....

JAK
12-30-2012, 21:13
Thanks. That's what I figured. So best not to buy or bring trash in the first place. Not easy to do at home, but for hiking it is pretty easy to not take any consumables into the woods that can't be burned safely. Hiking is a good place to practice greener living. If I can't burn it, I don't bring it.

sir limpsalot
12-30-2012, 21:22
I burn my trash when I'm not too lazy to build a fire. I usually camp around a shelter...so there tends to be a pre-existing condition as regards LNT. I agree that being considerate of others is important; but hey, that concept works both ways.

DaveSail
12-30-2012, 21:41
The Barefoot Sisters were traveling with a " Family From The North " who burned a LOT of " Full " diapers .
Smelled HORRID , as you might imagine . What do folks think about burning those ?? David

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 21:48
First, let me say that campfires in general are a problem - there are way too many campfires and unless it's really cold, it is not necessary to build a fire to sleep outside - - there need not be the automatic connection between the two

Building campfires and fire rings strips the forest of what it uses to make soft water absorbing soil and it's ability to grow trees and plants and sustain itself - - in the short term, scrounging the ground for everything that might burn creates erosion and certainly visual pollution as areas (especially around shelters) become "naked grounds"). Removing rocks from streams to create fire rings is un-necessary for a very small appropriate warming fire and certainly also tends to erode stream beds. Constant traffic back and forth through wooded areas (off trail) to forage for firewood also tends to damage the forest around the campsite.

If you have a fire and are careful just to burn plain paper (or plain cardboard) without any foil, plastic, or trash, that's probably ok. Burning plastics is toxic and harmful to the environment. On top of this, the residue left in the fire-pit is every bit as much littering than just throwing it on the ground and the ethical standards by which about 99% of us ascribe to includes leaving no trace which (obviously) includes littering.

Burning trash also sets a terrible example for others - - if everyone burned their trash, all campsites would be adjacent to trash incinerators (not a nice thought)

you packed it in, you've eaten most of it, please just pack it out (it's what we do)
Why all this ANTI CAMPFIRE sentiment here

Nothing like sitting infront of a campfire at night it's nature's television

I even bring a hatchet with me to assure fire wood

The smoke keeps the bugs away from the site

Man campfires are awesome

And there's nothing like campfire to sooth the soul

WILLIAM HAYES
12-30-2012, 22:22
nobody likes to see a bunch of stuff that doesnt burn in a firepit bag it out

MuddyWaters
12-30-2012, 22:33
dried manure used as fuel for thousands of yrs.
If we just dried the hiker poo, and left supplies of it at shelters, maybe solve two problems at once.

Mountain Mike
12-30-2012, 22:37
If we just dried the hiker poo, and left supplies of it at shelters, maybe solve two problems at once.
I made a cow pie fire on the PCT at a campsite with a stone fireplace. It was actually pleasant. It was kinda like burning compressed hay. Thru-Hiker fuel...I'll pass!

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 23:18
Why all this ANTI CAMPFIRE sentiment here

Nothing like sitting infront of a campfire at night it's nature's television

I even bring a hatchet with me to assure fire wood

The smoke keeps the bugs away from the site

Man campfires are awesome

And there's nothing like campfire to sooth the soul Hey you got a permit for that ax? Can you identify the type of wood you're cutting? Some types do not burn well,(Yellow Birch,Fire Cherry) at all.Do not cut standing wood,cut only what's already down but still off of the ground.Don't be an axhole....

RCBear
12-30-2012, 23:32
Since when did you need a permit to use an axe?? I don't believe there's any such thing on the books,and if there was who the hell would bother paying attention to it if they needed to use one

Northern Lights
12-30-2012, 23:38
Since when did you need a permit to use an axe?? I don't believe there's any such thing on the books,and if there was who the hell would bother paying attention to it if they needed to use one

I could be wrong, but I think he might be kidding.

The Cleaner
12-30-2012, 23:49
Just kiddin' about the permit.Over the last 25 years I've seen too many green trees cut just a few feet from a shelter.An ax is a good tool if used properly,mostly for trail work though.If you see a thru hiker carrying an ax,either the ax or the hiker won't be on the trail much longer.Chances are the ax will get left behind at a shelter with all kinds of other unwanted gear.

Marta
12-30-2012, 23:58
Let's review the rules: members are not allowed to make offensive comments about other members, or to post insulting remarks about other members. Posts which quote insults will also be deleted.

Blue Mountain Edward
12-31-2012, 02:18
Some things do not burn, glass, tin cans, Mountainhouse wrappers. I see nothing wrong with burning paper or plastic to make it disappear.

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2012, 02:36
Well we all want to do the right thing, but folks, worry about a few pieces of plastic in a campfire? I honestly admire the thought, but if you don't burn it or recycle... what happens?... I can say as a group we are clearly out of touch to millions of tons dumped in all oceans daily... its in Antarctica, Artic, particulates everywhere and floating and trapping animals...or getting into the gut and starving them to death....

http://www.bing.com/search?q=scientists+find+plastic+in+every+ocean&src=ie9tr

Look if you dare - graphic images... Here is the real legacy to leave our children....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plastic+killing+ocean+animals&qpvt=plastic+killing+ocean+animals&FORM=IGRE

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 07:45
Hey you got a permit for that ax? Can you identify the type of wood you're cutting? Some types do not burn well,(Yellow Birch,Fire Cherry) at all.Do not cut standing wood,cut only what's already down but still off of the ground.Don't be an axhole....

A permit to carry a hatchet are you serious bro

No you don't have to cut down standing wood plenty of fallen dead n blown down stuff

But if your depending on just what's on the ground you can forget it especially by shelters cause the easy stuff is picked clean

The hatchet works great for getting limbs of dead/fallen stuff

RCBear
12-31-2012, 08:09
The Barefoot Sisters were traveling with a " Family From The North " who burned a LOT of " Full " diapers .
Smelled HORRID , as you might imagine . What do folks think about burning those ?? David

Why would they traveling with them is the better question????

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 08:18
Why would they traveling with them is the better question????

RCBear... you might not want to know... He'll explain I'm sure. Anyone can hike the trail with whomever & any way they want 2. :)

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 08:30
RCBear... you might not want to know... He'll explain I'm sure. Anyone can hike the trail with whomever & any way they want 2. :)
Wouldn't it be Alot of work to hike with a baby

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 08:51
Wouldn't it be Alot of work to hike with a baby

Yes Sir... makes you wonder. #tryingnot2judge

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 09:13
Yes Sir... makes you wonder. #tryingnot2judge
Well they got those baby carriers that go over the shoulders

But lots of extra junk to carry diapers wipes baby food Welp I suppose the mother could breast feed and cut down on formula weight

What about when a baby gets the squirts and it's running down it's sock do they just wash up in a stream

what about crying sure others will enjoy a baby screaming in the wee hours

Perhaps on a dayhike but I don't see baby on a section or thru hike just doesn't add up

Papa D
12-31-2012, 09:14
A permit to carry a hatchet are you serious bro

No you don't have to cut down standing wood plenty of fallen dead n blown down stuff

But if your depending on just what's on the ground you can forget it especially by shelters cause the easy stuff is picked clean

The hatchet works great for getting limbs of dead/fallen stuff

#1 - you don't need a fire
#2 - you certainly don't need a hatchet

if you really wannabe a thru-hiker (and I'm doubting that you do since you seem to be a know-it-all and in many ways going thru is about discovery), you're very unlikely to make it with a hatchet
You seem to be real concerned with "camping" - thru-hiking is about walking all day, everyday and camping is how you sleep at night - - when I thru-hiked and when I do long-distance hikes, regardless of whether or not a fire might be appropriate, I usually save my energy for collecting water, eating, stretching a bit, reading, journaling, and making myself comfortable in my tent so that I can get up early and hike again - - I can't imagine you'll ever cover much real territory by roaming around cutting big logs (even if they are "down") with your hatchet and even giving consideration as to what might be appropriate to burn in a campfire.

So, I know you did a "section hike", right? Like maybe Springer to Neels - - I have news for you: that's a DAY hike - - yep, I'd say the faster 50% of thru-hikers who already have trail legs can cover that terrain in one day - - it's not at all steep or hard in any way. I did it in a day in 2012 off the couch - - it took me about 10 minutes to trot from the Woods Hole turn-off to the top of Blood - - 10 minutes and I was talking to Baltimore Jack about 35 or 40 minutes later at the Gap. I certainly didn't carry a hatchet or build a bunch of fires or any of the nonsense you seem to find appropriate - - HIKE YOU OWN HIKE - - VERY TRUE -- BUT, Wannabe, it seems like someone who has been out for what thru-hikers would term A DAY on the trail (maybe 2 or 3 for some) wouldn't be full of so much advice to all of us "newbies."

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2012, 09:33
I always build a fire, but I don't burn plastic. You should always recycle plastic, throwing it in the trash is just passing off the garbage to someone else.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 09:35
#1 - you don't need a fire
#2 - you certainly don't need a hatchet

if you really wannabe a thru-hiker (and I'm doubting that you do since you seem to be a know-it-all), you're very unlikely to make it with a hatchet
You seem to be real concerned with "camping" - thru-hiking is about walking all day, everyday and camping is how you sleep at night - - when I thru-hiked and when I do long-distance hikes, regardless of whether or not a fire might be appropriate, I usually save my energy for collecting water, eating, stretching a bit, reading, journaling, and making myself comfortable in my tent so that I can get up early and hike again - - I can't imagine you'll ever cover much real territory by roaming around cutting big logs (even if they are "down") with your hatchet and even giving consideration as to what might be appropriate to burn in a campfire.

So, I know you did a "section hike", right? Like maybe Springer to Neels - - I have news for you: that's a DAY hike - - yep, I'd say the faster 50% of thru-hikers who already have trail legs can cover that terrain in one day - - it's not at all steep or hard in any way. I did it in a day in 2012 off the couch - - it took me about 10 minutes to trot from the Woods Hole turn-off to the top of Blood - - 10 minutes and I was talking to Baltimore Jack about 35 or 40 minutes later at the Gap. I certainly didn't carry a hatchet or build a bunch of fires or any of the nonsense you seem to find appropriate - - HIKE YOU OWN HIKE - - VERY TRUE -- BUT, Wannabe, it seems like someone who has been out for what thru-hikers would term A DAY on the trail (maybe 2 or 3 for some) wouldn't be full of so much advice to all of us "newbies."

My aren't we off on the wrong foot

Look when I hike I like to enjoy myself and good campfire adds to the camaraderie

Some guys are mileage junkies who just try to crank 25 miles day in day out get done by end of June or July and thats cool but that Seems Alot more like work than a fun adventure

From Springer to Nantahala took me about 7 week but I had a blast usually hiked average 7-12 miles shelter to shelter and get there early afternoon before everybody crams the place get my bed set up collect firewood then eat dinnner and read until dusk

MANY other hikers found my campfire rather welcoming

You see I just be people on the trail some folks were @$$holes others were anti social and pitched tents down trail never spoke to anybody wouldn't even Look at ya the snobs

But the REAL TRAIL PEOPLE hang out near the shelters and swap tales around the campfire even walk out as a group

Those are the kinda folks ya see again and again not some uppity yuppie trying to all the way in 3 months flat or stuck up antisocial hikers

Anyhow my first run was great I Got no regrets

Don H
12-31-2012, 09:43

Hey Muddy, throw another log on the fire!

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2012, 09:44
This is what happens if you keep throwing your plastic in the trash. Any one that does NOT recycle plastic is a polluter.

http://www.budgetdumpster.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/landfill-landscape.jpg

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 09:47
Hey Muddy, throw another log on the fire!

I don't think we need dried poo at shelter sites

Plenty of weird smells as it is

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 09:47
This is what happens if you keep throwing your plastic in the trash. Any one that does NOT recycle plastic is a polluter.

http://www.budgetdumpster.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/landfill-landscape.jpg
Before you know it, it will be a county park.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 09:49

Hell Yeah

When I was a kid there used to be a landfill near the lake and eventually they filled it in build a road park and a bandshell best place in town to see fireworks on fourth

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2012, 09:54
County parks may fool silly "nature-loving" humans that they are communing with nature, but in a reality they kill biodiversity.

Tuckahoe
12-31-2012, 09:54
Personally I have no problem with burning trash in a camp fire. Everything burns... everything! (Well burns, shrinks or is reduced to a state that people will never see.) The reality is though that most folks have no idea how to manage an efficient fire that will consume their trash. Which is then left for others to clean up, and thats the problem.

ETA -- And just to be clear, I dont build fire when I'm hiking.

coolness
12-31-2012, 09:55
Thank you Marta.

Let's review the rules: members are not allowed to make offensive comments about other members, or to post insulting remarks about other members. Posts which quote insults will also be deleted.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2012, 09:59
Thank you Marta.Yes, thank you Marta, but I'm offended by people throwing plastic in the trash. Can we have all those posts deleted?

Lone Wolf
12-31-2012, 09:59
hikers burning what little trash they have in fire pits meant for wood fires, is just pure laziness. i don't stay at shelters or have fires in established pits anymore so i don't really care. i build my own fire pit

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 10:02
County parks may fool silly "nature-loving" humans that they are communing with nature, but in a reality they kill biodiversity.

I'm in PB County for the winter and I feel for some of these folks. They have no idea whats under that park. They think it's just the greatest thing. No idea, not a clue.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 10:04
Personally I have no problem with burning trash in a camp fire. Everything burns... everything! (Well burns, shrinks or is reduced to a state that people will never see.) The reality is though that most folks have no idea how to manage an efficient fire that will consume their trash. Which is then left for others to clean up, and thats the problem.

THAT was an absolutely insightful and brutally honest post

Now it might piss off some of them uppity yuppie types but eh if they don't like the campfires they can just move on then cause I guarantee at any given site more will be for the fire than against

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2012, 10:04

I see them as future resource stockpiles. There's all kinds of "good" stuff in landfills, already refined, herimaticlly sealed off (assuming a good liner and cover) just waiting until it's economicall feasible to dig them back up instead of refining raw materials. (I'm sort of kidding, but more than half serious, too.)

I'm also aware that liners leak, covers aren't permanent, and don't get me started on the quality control for installation!

Tuckahoe
12-31-2012, 10:07
I'm in PB County for the winter and I feel for some of these folks. They have no idea whats under that park. They think it's just the greatest thing. No idea, not a clue.
Mt Trashmore in Virginia Beach... Everyone knows and pretty proud of it.

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2012, 10:09

I agree, for the most part. I do extend it to paper products without the slick coating (a wood product) and coffee grounds (another woody product once the essential oils are extracted). Only problem with coffee grounds is they're too wet to burn right after you use them.

All that being said, I have so little trash produced while hiking, it doesn't amount to enough to matter, so I just carry it out. Four days last summer didn't even fill up a gallon ziplock.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 10:10
hikers burning what little trash they have in fire pits meant for wood fires, is just pure laziness. i don't stay at shelters or have fires in established pits anymore so i don't really care. i build my own fire pit

Uh Oh now you done it

Established fire pits are one thing but MAKING YOUR OWN Gosh that's outright desecration of the enviromentally

Personally I don't Shiv a git but some self righteous uppity yuppie types might bust your balls for that one

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 10:13
I agree, for the most part. I do extend it to paper products without the slick coating (a wood product) and coffee grounds (another woody product once the essential oils are extracted). Only problem with coffee grounds is they're too wet to burn right after you use them.

All that being said, I have so little trash produced while hiking, it doesn't amount to enough to matter, so I just carry it out. Four days last summer didn't even fill up a gallon ziplock.

I meet a guy near Winding Stair that removed all the wrapping off his Snickers and granola bars even ramen and put the stuff in Ziploc freezer bags

Papa D
12-31-2012, 10:21
My aren't we off on the wrong foot

Look when I hike I like to enjoy myself and good campfire adds to the camaraderie

Some guys are mileage junkies who just try to crank 25 miles day in day out get done by end of June or July and thats cool but that Seems Alot more like work than a fun adventure

From Springer to Nantahala took me about 7 week but I had a blast usually hiked average 7-12 miles shelter to shelter and get there early afternoon before everybody crams the place get my bed set up collect firewood then eat dinnner and read until dusk

MANY other hikers found my campfire rather welcoming

You see I just be people on the trail some folks were @$$holes others were anti social and pitched tents down trail never spoke to anybody wouldn't even Look at ya the snobs

But the REAL TRAIL PEOPLE hang out near the shelters and swap tales around the campfire even walk out as a group

Those are the kinda folks ya see again and again not some uppity yuppie trying to all the way in 3 months flat or stuck up antisocial hikers

Anyhow my first run was great I Got no regrets

So, DO you want to thru-hike as your name implies or are you a self-declared expert now since you hiked from Springer Mountain in Georgia to the NOC (140 miles or so total)?

You do make a good point and that is that the Appalachian Trail (for NOBOS during thru-hike season) is a very social trail but I would suggest that "Real trail folks" do a lot of things - - mostly what they do is hike (even people in the great northbound pack) and spend most of their time hiking and thinking about hiking above all else. Certainly, swapping stories at a shelter, sharing an occasional campfire, and walking the trail with others can be part of the experience but "real" thru-hikers (or long-distance hikers in general) don't spend a whole bunch of time "hanging out at shelters" and building fires in my experience because (assuming they want to go a long way, there just isn't time for too terribly much of that).

Now, you seem to think that people that don't hang out with you are snobs - - as a matter of fact, you seem to imply that lots of folks here are "snobs" - - snobs about LNT, snobs about trekking poles, snobs about stoves, etc. - - people that tent separately from you or don't want to join your campfire party at the shelter aren't necessarily snobs - - I for one like a quiet tent spot and being that I usually wake around 5 am, I go to bed too early and wake up to early to make sheltering anything but an occasional diversion for me - - this doesn't make me a snob. I certainly enjoy a beer or a wine in towns but I'm on the trail to hike, cover territory, and see things - - if I have spare time, I like to read and write and sometimes visit with other folks for a few minutes - - when I do tent near shelters, I almost always go to the shelter, take a look at the shelter register and say hi to anyone there. I ask them where they are going and where they are coming from - - sometimes I hang out longer, sometimes I head back to my tent. What part of this makes me a snob?

I'm sure that you really enjoyed your experience in GA and NC on the trail - - you seem quick to judge people though - - you don't like hippies, you don't like yuppies, you don't think hikers that do long days are "your type" or people that like solitude in their tents . . . these are all trail people .... guys, girls, young, old, scouts, military, hippies, yuppies, collegiate people, non-collegiate people, the works - - there are more of those people (combined) than hatchet carrying, trash burning people frankly.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 10:32
So, DO you want to thru-hike as your name implies or are you a self-declared expert now since you hiked from Springer Mountain in Georgia to the NOC (140 miles or so total)?

You do make a good point and that is that the Appalachian Trail (for NOBOS during thru-hike season) is a very social trail but I would suggest that "Real trail folks" do a lot of things - - mostly what they do is hike (even people in the great northbound pack) and spend most of their time hiking and thinking about hiking above all else. Certainly, swapping stories at a shelter, sharing an occasional campfire, and walking the trail with others can be part of the experience but "real" thru-hikers (or long-distance hikers in general) don't spend a whole bunch of time "hanging out at shelters" and building fires in my experience because (assuming they want to go a long way, there just isn't time for too terribly much of that).

Now, you seem to think that people that don't hang out with you are snobs - - as a matter of fact, you seem to imply that lots of folks here are "snobs" - - snobs about LNT, snobs about trekking poles, snobs about stoves, etc. - - people that tent separately from you or don't want to join your campfire party at the shelter aren't necessarily snobs - - I for one like a quiet tent spot and being that I usually wake around 5 am, I go to bed too early and wake up to early to make sheltering anything but an occasional diversion for me - - this doesn't make me a snob. I certainly enjoy a beer or a wine in towns but I'm on the trail to hike, cover territory, and see things - - if I have spare time, I like to read and write and sometimes visit with other folks for a few minutes - - when I do tent near shelters, I almost always go to the shelter, take a look at the shelter register and say hi to anyone there. I ask them where they are going and where they are coming from - - sometimes I hang out longer, sometimes I head back to my tent. What part of this makes me a snob?

I'm sure that you really enjoyed your experience in GA and NC on the trail - - you seem quick to judge people though - - you don't like hippies, you don't like yuppies, you don't think hikers that do long days are "your type" or people that like solitude in their tents . . . these are all trail people .... guys, girls, young, old, scouts, military, hippies, yuppies, collegiate people, non-collegiate people, the works - - there are more of those people (combined) than hatchet carrying, trash burning people frankly.

OK so you're still hung up on snobs and trekking poles

Dude that is like so yesterday

Look I'M here to post

My posts are not meant to insult but seem some are psychologically inept and read way too deep into it and carry a chip on they shoulders

Look pal I don't care what you or anybody else does for that matter

Look I just post like I was saying it with my own words

But Gosh don't take it to heart and get all serious

good greif

Papa D
12-31-2012, 10:35
OK so you're still hung up on snobs and trekking poles

Dude that is like so yesterday

Look I'M here to post

My posts are not meant to insult but seem some are psychologically inept and read way too deep into it and carry a chip on they shoulders

Look pal I don't care what you or anybody else does for that matter

Look I just post like I was saying it with my own words

But Gosh don't take it to heart and get all serious

good greif

ok - do remember what Rain Man said - - this isn't just any "chat-room" the presumption is that we are all trail-friends here - - making "your own words" a little more receptive to other ideas, other methods, and other people will tend to make what you do say here more credible and accepted - - now, I'm heading out for the day - - is it pretty where you are? Super nice here so I'm going to enjoy it. Cheers!

Half Note
12-31-2012, 10:54
At these situations it just comes down to principle. Burning certain things can cause toxins in the air. I don't see how this could be healthy around people, yourself included (if someone is actually courteous enough to do it with no one around). Even the ash that flies up and lands on the ground makes an impact. Now is it enough to cause damage to the environment? Maybe miniscule. But then I think to myself, "What if everyone did this?" Well, if everyone burned their trash it wouldn't be a positive effect.

So then I ask myself, "Well how can I make this better?" Well I take a Ziploc bag and REUSE it for trash. This help with less garbage overall and it helps do away with unnecessary waste.

Malto
12-31-2012, 11:11
"From Springer to Nantahala took me about 7 week but I had a blast usually hiked average 7-12 miles shelter to shelter and get there early afternoon before everybody crams the place get my bed set up collect firewood then eat dinnner and read until dusk "

How could you possibly take 7 weeks to go from Springer to NOC if you were doing 7-12 miles per day shelter to shelter. That is 20 miles per week which means you took five zeros and hiked two days a week on average? The math doesn't add up?

if I were king I would outlaw fires on the AT. The abuses that occur with the collection of wood is a shame. I love fires as much as anyone but the shelter areas have have cleared out of deadfall long ago.

RETCW4
12-31-2012, 11:14
Ha Ha!! me and run on sentences?... yeah, we are good 2 :)

I love to burn trash, if there's a campfire going. If "they" didn't pack it out... just burn it baby.

Who's those "they" people?

Tumbleweed

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 11:23
too funny... i can't believe it took 2-3 pages for someone to call a troll a troll...my boyfriend told me about this thread yesterday and i said without even looking at it "troll"... that being said....i don't mind a good troll...i find it humerous... not to mention, i don't really see a big problem with burning some trash...but it is OBVIOUSLY a heated topic and with the delivery the OP used... clearly meant to ruffle some feathers... carry on...i gotta go pee in a creek...

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2012, 11:45
... carry on...i gotta go pee in a creek...

Bear Whiz Beer. It's in the water, son. That's why it's yellow.

Rasty
12-31-2012, 12:00
too funny... i can't believe it took 2-3 pages for someone to call a troll a troll...my boyfriend told me about this thread yesterday and i said without even looking at it "troll"... that being said....i don't mind a good troll...i find it humerous... not to mention, i don't really see a big problem with burning some trash...but it is OBVIOUSLY a heated topic and with the delivery the OP used... clearly meant to ruffle some feathers... carry on...i gotta go pee in a creek...

Everyone knew he was a Troll but Sarcasm the Elf had the only can of "Troll-B-Gone" and he was AWOL yesterday. I think Dr. Suess said it best. It's fun to play with Trolls but you have to know how!

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 12:02
Who's those "they" people?

Tumbleweed

"they" = "the people" using a shelter, fire ring etc... that did not carry their trash out. Who knows who "they" are.

One time we decided to actually sleep in a shelter b/c it was raining-everything outside was wet. (I didn't enjoy that night at all, don't care for sleeping in a shelter) I "cleaned up" the area the best I could. There was trash everywhere. If I could have started a rip- roaring fire that night, I would have burned everything in sight. (except a shovel handle ;) JK... I would have burned all the trash. :)

When I go to the shelters to clean them up... I always fill up a garbage bag with things I find in the fire ring etc.. that didn't burn. I love to find trash & carry it out, especially when I don't have to pack it out, on my back. I opt to burn someone else trash rather than carry it out- when I'm hiking.

coach lou
12-31-2012, 12:03
Bear Whiz Beer. It's in the water, son. That's why it's yellow.

Ah......Gizzy is NO ones son!:D

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 12:10
Everyone knew he was a Troll but Sarcasm the Elf had the only can of "Troll-B-Gone" and he was AWOL yesterday. I think Dr. Suess said it best. It's fun to play with Trolls but you have to know how!

HAHAHA!!! the way to "play" with a troll....is to beat him at his own game...play along...clearly he was ruffling feathers...what trolls like ..... i saw some playing along...others....not so much...still funny to read!! and when i build a campfire...i burn shelter wood so it gets very hot...hot enough to burn rubber....

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 12:12

hehehe!! not the last time i checked :D

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2012, 12:43

Didn't really think so, either, but since that was a direct quote (from a Firesign Theatre skit) that I forgot to put the quote marks around, the word had to be included. No insults intended! :cool:

The Solemates
12-31-2012, 12:47
I burn everything at the house in a burn barrel since we don't have trash pick up where we live. Let the chastisement begin....

The Solemates
12-31-2012, 12:50
I burn everything at the house in a burn barrel since we don't have trash pick up where we live. Let the chastisement begin....

Well let me clarify. We recycle all plastic. We compost all organic matter. We take all metal and glass to the dump. We burn everything else.

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 12:53
Well let me clarify. We recycle all plastic. We compost all organic matter. We take all metal and glass to the dump. We burn everything else.

You're good! :)

And after taking a stroll around the threads this morning... WannabeHiker already answered my question... He's not a troll & I believe him.

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 12:53
Didn't really think so, either, but since that was a direct quote (from a Firesign Theatre skit) that I forgot to put the quote marks around, the word had to be included. No insults intended! :cool:

absolutely none taken... i don't eat yellow snow either :)

Maddoxsjohnston
12-31-2012, 13:03
I pack all my trash out in a gallon size ziploc bag, though the only real trash I accumulate is ramen wrappers since everything else is packaged in it's own ziploc bag (gorp, banana chips, and beef jerky). Unless you are eating a box and a half of twinkies on an hourly basis you shouldn't create enough trash to warrant a burn; trailheads with trashcans are about every 15 miles anyways.

Don H
12-31-2012, 13:34
If you burn trash you should be willing to clean out the fire pit before you leave. Take all the partially burned pieces of plastic and foil with you. If you don't then the shelter maintainer has to do it for you. Same with dumping trash in the privy, the maintainer has to pick it out of the composted waste. Not a job I would enjoy!

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 13:49
:D that's cool, gizzy. Once things start to go south it's hard to turn it back around. I know right where it all started. People react differently to intentional or non-intentional "digs". Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves.

Luv ya gizzy girl. :) Hope you have a great day and Happy New Year to you and RCbear.

I'll let the games continue & duck out now. :)

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 13:57
hikermom...it's part of the game...you don't have to defend me (but i appreciate it :) )...he/she has read the posts above and knows i am a female.... i must admit the "And listen here buddy boy I DO NOT appreciate your MEAN HEARTED SLANDER or you're FALSE ACCUSATIONS" made me chuckle :D
Nope honestly I was unaware of your gender till these last couple of posts but I probably missed a page or two of this thread anyhow

I do want you to know that as of right now
n from here on out I am perfectly clear on your gender
And my apologies for any bad feelings this misunderstanding might have caused you

Don't take this the wrong way but the handle Grizzly Bear might have also confused me but water under the bridge and happy New years sister

hikerhobs
12-31-2012, 14:03
Don't be lazy... Pack it in, Pack it out.

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 15:04
And happy new year as well!

Deadeye
12-31-2012, 15:17
If you burn trash you should be willing to clean out the fire pit before you leave. Take all the partially burned pieces of plastic and foil with you.

Probably the most realistic approach, if you're willing to dig through the fire pit next morning - but I'll bet a lot of folks "forget." If there's a fire going, some added paper won't hurt, but the blob of plastic (if you must) and the unburned foil has to go home with you. Still, the best rule of thumb is "you packed it in full, you can pack it out empty"

Tipi Walter
12-31-2012, 16:27
I always carry a pair of leather work gloves.You wouldn't believe what kind of crap people leave behind.Then with gloves on I can go through the ashes and pick out all the unburned stuff for packing out.No way I'd touch some stuff:eek:.....

I always build a fire, but I don't burn plastic. You should always recycle plastic, throwing it in the trash is just passing off the garbage to someone else.

Get your leather gloves ready as this is one piece of plastic that needs to be burned. (Found on Bob Bald near a firepit in the Cherokee NF).

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/7/7/6/1415030/TRIP-114-571.jpg

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 16:31
Get your leather gloves ready as this is one piece of plastic that needs to be burned. (Found on Bob Bald near a firepit in the Cherokee NF).

it appears to be a slightly used emergency water carrier

Tipi Walter
12-31-2012, 16:33
it appears to be a slightly used emergency water carrier

I followed standard LNT practices and used it as a poop bag to carry out my stool as the top O ring fit snugly around my bung, etc. This follows the multi-use gear policy favored by ULers.

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 16:51

That definitely needs to be burned it appears to be covered with fecal matter yuck.

Tipi Walter
12-31-2012, 17:00
That definitely needs to be burned it appears to be covered with fecal matter yuck.

This is all you need to deal with both urine AND fecal matter---along with other fluids:

http://www.globalspec.com/ImageRepository/LearnMore/201211/electrical-safety-gloves2770439014eb4917aef738b08fbee382.png
They are elbow length and pack light at only 4 lbs per pair. Part of my Standard Load.

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 17:10
This is all you need to deal with both urine AND fecal matter---along with other fluids:

http://www.globalspec.com/ImageRepository/LearnMore/201211/electrical-safety-gloves2770439014eb4917aef738b08fbee382.png
They are elbow length and pack light at only 4 lbs per pair. Part of my Standard Load.

happy new year tipi. so glad you're part of wb

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2012, 17:12
Yea so am I, we wont throw bullets at you or those Drooling hobo's - damn Tipi you are too funny!

(reference from another gun thread)

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 17:36

I think afew pairs of latex surgical gloves or even those thicker dishwashing jobs are much lighter and would suffice .

ChinMusic
12-31-2012, 17:39
I think afew pairs of latex surgical gloves or even those thicker dishwashing jobs are much lighter and would suffice .

I would have just found a stick.

fcoulter
12-31-2012, 17:49
I would have just found a stick.

There wasn't an indication of size. (Probably to avoid making me depressed.)

Malto
12-31-2012, 18:18
I followed standard LNT practices and used it as a poop bag to carry out my stool as the top O ring fit snugly around my bung, etc. This follows the multi-use gear policy favored by ULers.

See, you aren't all that different from us (ulers) after all. :o

Papa D
12-31-2012, 19:33

Tipi, I assumed you carried an entire haz-mat suit - wow, just the 4 pound gloves - you are going ultra-light these days

Hairbear
01-01-2013, 07:10
wood is the only thing that should be burned in a fire pit. period yup...it didnt become too heavy until you got what you wanted out of it.pack it in ,pack it out,if you dont trails would look like our highways.

The Cleaner
01-01-2013, 09:46

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/7/7/6/1415030/TRIP-114-571.jpg I didn't want to say it but I have found one & picked up with a stick then into the fire as I backed away upwind...:eek:

Papa D
01-01-2013, 09:57
in all seriousness, I carry latex gloves in my first aid kit - they weigh just about nothing - - i'm not sure that I would waste one on this item but if you did need to pick something up that you absolutely didn't want to touch, you could put on a glove, pick up the item with the gloved hand, take the ungloved hand, reach under the cuff of the glove and turn the glove and the item in your hand inside out in one motion - - it could then be deposited into a waiting container (used zip-lock?) for packing-out. Here is a little video - - you can see how to adapt this for trail use.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gyNAsPCbU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gyNAsPCbU)

I have used it to remove equally gross things from the trail, shelters, and campsites - - tampons, discarded underwear, toilet paper piles, and more. - - I can't imagine why people would desecrate the trail and the environs that they are hiking because they purportedly love it.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2013, 10:38
in all seriousness, I carry latex gloves in my first aid kit - they weigh just about nothing - - i'm not sure that I would waste one on this item but if you did need to pick something up that you absolutely didn't want to touch, you could put on a glove, pick up the item with the gloved hand, take the ungloved hand, reach under the cuff of the glove and turn the glove and the item in your hand inside out in one motion - - it could then be deposited into a waiting container (used zip-lock?) for packing-out. Here is a little video - - you can see how to adapt this for trail use.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gyNAsPCbU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gyNAsPCbU)

I have used it to remove equally gross things from the trail, shelters, and campsites - - tampons, discarded underwear, toilet paper piles, and more. - - I can't imagine why people would desecrate the trail and the environs that they are hiking because they purportedly love it.

I refuse to start the New Year with more pictures of the foul crap I have found on the course of my backpacking trips, and whether said crap can be burned. Unless I am provoked.

Marta
01-01-2013, 11:21
To recapitulate.... You can discuss the issue, but not engage in insult fests. The next time this thread goes down that trail, it will be closed.

Papa D
01-01-2013, 11:24
To recapitulate.... You can discuss the issue, but not engage in insult fests. The next time this thread goes down that trail, it will be closed.

Thank you - - I've been wondering where the Mods have been for the last 3 days or so ......

soilman
01-01-2013, 11:24
Burning trash, what a great idea! On my next thru I think I'll start doing this. It will eliminate the burden of carrying all my trash and free up some weight so I can carry a big, fat permanent marker to sign my name on all the shelters.

Marta
01-01-2013, 11:31
Thank you - - I've been wondering where the Mods have been for the last 3 days or so ......

I'm working over the holidays. Otherwise I'd be doing what I normally do over New Year's--hiking from Amicalola to Neels Gap, which would put me blessedly off the net.

prain4u
01-01-2013, 11:52

Let's eat Grandma!

vs.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Punctuation--it helps save lives!

shadow11
01-01-2013, 12:54
You seem to be some one who lacks common sense, or just lazy. if you cant follow the rules then don't hike.

herman2feathers
01-01-2013, 13:02
Burning trash, what a great idea! On my next thru I think I'll start doing this. It will eliminate the burden of carrying all my trash and free up some weight so I can carry a big, fat permanent marker to sign my name on all the shelters.
Most shelter graffiti I encountered was etched in with a knife. I'm starting to wonder if this guy is one of those morons who removes floor boards and picnic benches to keep his fires going?

Deacon
01-01-2013, 19:49
I've burned hundreds of books over the years and I'm not even catholic ha ha ha.

And just what the heck is that suppose to mean? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't want to start anything.

Listen Tipi, your humor is beyond sick. That was demeaning, foolish, inconsiderate, and had no place on this forum.

I value your opinions on backpacking. Please think what you're saying before you post. Thanks.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2013, 20:05
And just what the heck is that suppose to mean? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't want to start anything.

Listen Tipi, your humor is beyond sick. That was demeaning, foolish, inconsiderate, and had no place on this forum.

I value your opinions on backpacking. Please think what you're saying before you post. Thanks.

Inaccurate? Obviously you've forgotten the 800 years of the Inquisition.

Alligator
01-01-2013, 20:42
Troll thread as well.