PDA

View Full Version : Picking a new quilt.

Camel2012
12-30-2012, 15:22
I tried to find the info i needed on my own, but not finding it, I decided to just ask.

I apologize if you have answered the same question over and over.

I have always used a bag, but after switching to a hammock last year, It is a pain using my bag in my hammock, and I have decided to step into the quilt world.

So, my questions are:
If I move a lot during the night, how bad will the drafts be?
I'm a side sleeper, and do so in my bag as well, but will there be much difference with the quilt?
Am I going to need better bottom insulation for the quilt than I would for a comparable bag?

I do sleep hot, even when its freezing or below, and think the quilt would work well for me, but not sure which brand to get. I'm looking for one in the $200 range, 20 degree down.

Not looking for alternatives so much, but would take any links or advice you have that would steer me in the right direction for research. Thanks.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 15:38
Check out Enlightened Equipment. I just got a Revelation X 0 degree 6'6" length, wide half taper with 30% overstuffed. I'm a stomach sleeper and it's very comfortable. In a hammock you may want to get the Regular Taper. The 20 degree model is $195. The material is seconds but I cannot find any picks or defects at all. I looked for about 10 minutes trying to find out why it was a second quality fabric.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

leaftye
12-30-2012, 15:46
So, my questions are:
I'm a side sleeper, and do so in my bag as well, but will there be much difference with the quilt?

The temperature makes a big difference in how bad drafts are. Drafts don't bother me at all when it's 40°F plus. When it's below 20°F, drafts definitely get my attention even if they don't make me cold. It's like someone touching your neck with cold fingers. It'll get your attention, but it does virtually nothing to change your body temperature.

I'm a side and stomach sleeper. It's not as easy to adjust the quilt when on your side, but it's doable, especially if you have the straps. I lift up slightly and use the straps to pull the quilt just under my body, and then lay down on the edge to seal out the drafts. The biggest difference is that you can't kick and flail your arms with reckless abandon like in a sleeping bag.

EnLIGHTened Equipment sounds like your best bet for your quilt.

Camel2012
12-30-2012, 16:10
Thanks guys, that is exactly what I needed.

Revelation X Quilt 30% Overfill 6'6" ~ 20° Temp. (Width/Taper: WIDE/Half Taper) (Inside Color: Olive Brown) (Outside Color: Olive Green)

With the 30% overfill, wide width, and 6'6" length, it comes to exactly $200.

Thanks again, looks like i found my new quilt.

Cozy
12-30-2012, 16:15
I tried to find the info i needed on my own, but not finding it, I decided to just ask.

I apologize if you have answered the same question over and over.

I have always used a bag, but after switching to a hammock last year, It is a pain using my bag in my hammock, and I have decided to step into the quilt world.

So, my questions are:
Am I going to need better bottom insulation for the quilt than I would for a comparable bag?

I do sleep hot, even when its freezing or below, and think the quilt would work well for me, but not sure which brand to get. I'm looking for one in the $200 range, 20 degree down.

Not looking for alternatives so much, but would take any links or advice you have that would steer me in the right direction for research. Thanks.

I made the switch to a hammock this year and was glad I did. I use the Go-Lite 20 degree quilt ($200) with my Warbonet 1.1 double layer hammock and like it a lot. You will need bottom insulation (pad or under quilt) with whatever quilt you decide to go with.

When I used the Go-Lite quilt on my Thermarest Neo Air XLite mattress in a tent, I did get some drafts but this was due to not using and cinching down the two (2) straps (I just used one). However, when using it in my hammock, there was no need to use the straps and cinch them down because I haven't experienced any drafts. I have used the Warbonet underquilt OR the Thermarest pad (but not fully inflated... actually hardly inflated) as my bottom insulation. I haven't experienced drafts because my hammock is so form fitting on the bottom/sides of my body, that the Go-Lite quilt over me is perfect- even when I roll over on my side. This has been my experience.

I jumped on Go-Lite's page and they offer a 1 season quilt (I have the 3 season... not sure why they're not offering that now). Definitely get a 3 season quilt. And I highly recommend getting the Warbonet 3 season yeti quilt if you have the Warbonet hammock. Good luck.

Cozy
12-30-2012, 16:18
(Correction: I highly recommend getting the Warbonet 3 season yeti UNDER quilt).

Camel2012
12-30-2012, 16:33
Thanks Cozy, I use a hh, and have been thinking about using the hh super shelter. Although, I don't have the ss, and have never seen anyone use it. So I'm not sure how effective it will be.

I did go look on the golite site, and I couldn't find any 3 season quilts in stock, so I just moved on.

One thing I looked at, was possibly using the ss with that thermal bubble pad that hh sells. I'm starting the at in early March, and this setup would give me a lot of versatility early on until it warms up, and could ship most of it off around hot springs if weather permits.

I love my hammock, but as you can tell, I haven't spent any time in it in cold weather. I tend to be the " fly by the seat of my pants" kinda guy, and I'm sure my setup will change the more I use it, and will find what works for me.

Thanks again for the input!

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 16:34
Don't give up on your sleeping bag - you will still need it, this is a learning curve, you pitch the hammock more taunt and a little lower to the ground, then you can pull the bag up and sit and swing your legs in. then see Stormcrow for an under quilt - everything is custom I have a 3/4

http://www.hammockgear.com/

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2012, 16:35
(Correction: I highly recommend getting the Warbonet 3 season yeti UNDER quilt). Your URL didn't work here you are.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php

Camel2012
12-30-2012, 16:42
I get what you mean Owl, but i have a bottom entry hh. Doesn't work for me now, but still thinking about putting a zipper on one side. If I do, that would work, but unless it's really cold, I use my bag like a quilt most of the time anyways.

I still haven't sold myself on an uq yet, but still researching, so will see what happens.

Anyone used a hh ss that can give their experience with it?