PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Mohawk loop advice

1azarus
12-30-2012, 17:45
Planning a Mohawk trail loop in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions. It looks like around 10 miles of AT and 20 miles of former AT which loops over Mohawk ski area, for a thirty mile total loop. I was thinking of two more or less fifteen mile days, with a short hike Friday evening to begin. Hey, this is Connecticut...if I could eat every meal someplace warm I'd be happy! I was thinking for example, of wandering off the Mohawk trail at the base of the ski area to hit their lodge for a meal, then walking up the slope to rejoin the trail. I am apparently not allowed to park or sleep in the state park there... Any advice on places to park, eat or camp during this mini adventure? ...I know I may increase the Friday evening miles if I have to plan for more than bragging rights snow cover...

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 17:52
Planning a Mohawk trail loop in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions. It looks like around 10 miles of AT and 20 miles of former AT which loops over Mohawk ski area, for a thirty mile total loop. I was thinking of two more or less fifteen mile days, with a short hike Friday evening to begin. Hey, this is Connecticut...if I could eat every meal someplace warm I'd be happy! I was thinking for example, of wandering off the Mohawk trail at the base of the ski area to hit their lodge for a meal, then walking up the slope to rejoin the trail. I am apparently not allowed to park or sleep in the state park there... Any advice on places to park, eat or camp during this mini adventure? ...I know I may increase the Friday evening miles if I have to plan for more than bragging rights snow cover...

36 miles total. i just got the connecticut walk book with maps, descriptions, etc. yesterday, so ill sit down tonight and plot the route, figure out some bail points.start from corwall bridge? but mohawk first or last?.elf is coming, too and coach lou said he might want to hike with us friday, so we might even have a shuttle available

1azarus
12-30-2012, 19:13
Great. I have to teach a class Friday afternoon so can't be at a trailhead till around four pm, but let me know where you plan to camp and I'll catch up after dark!

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 19:34
Great. I have to teach a class Friday afternoon so can't be at a trailhead till around four pm, but let me know where you plan to camp and I'll catch up after dark!
cool............

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 20:41
I just found this site, looks like there are several camp sites on the Mohawk trail, but they're by permit only and they claim it takes two weeks to get a permit. 'Im still trying to line up the maps so to see exactly where the sites are on the trail.

Regulations and details are here:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325032

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/backpacking/MohawkCampSite1.pdf

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/backpacking/HousatonicCornwall.pdf

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 20:52
I just found this site, looks like there are several camp sites on the Mohawk trail, but they're by permit only and they claim it takes two weeks to get a permit. 'Im still trying to line up the maps so to see exactly where the sites are on the trail.

Regulations and details are here:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325032

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/backpacking/MohawkCampSite1.pdf

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/backpacking/HousatonicCornwall.pdf
do you think there are ridgerunners ?i dont think the logistics of the sites are that great, may have to stealth on the mohawk somewhere else. still checking out the maps

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 22:20
Take a look at this photo, I listed out the rough approximation of the A.T. and Mohawk trail Camp and shelter sites. (click on the thumbnail to go to the larger copy in my gallery)

Send me a PM if you have an idea of where we want to start, I will try to send a letter to the CT DEEP tomorrow or Wednesday requesting Mohawk shelter sites.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/mohawk_loop_map-1_thumb.jpeg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=54502)

coach lou
12-30-2012, 22:24
Very Nice Dave!

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2012, 22:24
Also, my uncle lives in the area, he said that right now they have about a foot of snow on the ground consisting of 4"-6" of crusted over old snow and 6"-8" of new powder from last night.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 23:15
long range forecast is for lo to mid 40s w/ a slight chance of light rain showers saturday. perfect opportunity to test our theories on preventing hypothermia

coach lou
12-31-2012, 09:40
Reservations? On a Blue Trail, in winter, in Connecticut. AH, I would chance it....also, are fires permitted on a blue trail? I going to have to get rid of the pastry box somehow!:rolleyes:

Monkeywrench
12-31-2012, 12:25
I hiked this loop in late October -- on a wet, gray, drippy weekend -- and had a great time.

I started in Cornwall Bridge and went anti-clockwise hiking the Mohawk Trail leg first, coming back south on the AT. There were a couple of spots on the Mohawk that were a bit tricky route finding, but nothing insurmountable.

I did it in 3 days, with mileages of about 10, 15, and 11.

There are bits of road walking on the Mohawk, but it is quiet, peaceful, rural road walking and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't meet anyone on the trail until the last couple of miles on the 3rd day, which fit my mood perfectly at the time.

Monkeywrench
12-31-2012, 12:46
Both of the Mohawk shelters are very close to the road, which violates my number one rule of campsite selection. If you are going to be in a group it's probably much less of a concern.

I never saw the one on the Wickwire Road. I wasn't looking for it, so I may simply have not seen it. There is a relocation in that area where the trail leaves the old road for a section, so maybe the shelter is bypassed now.

One note where I had issues following the trail: after crossing Route 4 and leaving Mohawk State Forest the trail goes over a hill and comes down to Johnson Rd. I remember I got water from a brook a bit before reaching Johnson Road. Just after this brook it looks like the trail follows an old road bed, but I soon lost the blazes. I wandered back and forth a bit before giving up and just bushwhacking through the brush to the road. I could see no blazes on telephone poles or trees, so walked up the road to the right a bit thren turned around and went down to the left. I finally saw a single blaze where the trail went into the woods (where I should have come out onto the road if I hadn't lost the trail, so I turned around and walked up to the top of the hill, and continued on the road until it finally intersected Rt 43 at the bottom of the hill, where the trail re-enters the woods straight ahead.

This was only an issue for me because I was hiking with only a general idea of the trail route in my head and no decent map. The lack of blazes on the road walk kept me wondering if I had missed the trail turning off into the woods somewhere.

Soon after I got back into the woods it got dark enough that I couldn't see well, and the rain started coming down in earnest, so I hung my hammock and camped for the night.

Driver8
12-31-2012, 16:16
What days are y'all out? Have you figured out the routing? I may be able to come out one or two of the days but am not equipped to camp overnight in winter, I don't think - the bag is rated only to 30 F, and I'd rather sleep at home if hiking that close this time of year.

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 16:21
Both of the Mohawk shelters are very close to the road, which violates my number one rule of campsite selection. If you are going to be in a group it's probably much less of a concern.

I never saw the one on the Wickwire Road. I wasn't looking for it, so I may simply have not seen it. There is a relocation in that area where the trail leaves the old road for a section, so maybe the shelter is bypassed now.

One note where I had issues following the trail: after crossing Route 4 and leaving Mohawk State Forest the trail goes over a hill and comes down to Johnson Rd. I remember I got water from a brook a bit before reaching Johnson Road. Just after this brook it looks like the trail follows an old road bed, but I soon lost the blazes. I wandered back and forth a bit before giving up and just bushwhacking through the brush to the road. I could see no blazes on telephone poles or trees, so walked up the road to the right a bit thren turned around and went down to the left. I finally saw a single blaze where the trail went into the woods (where I should have come out onto the road if I hadn't lost the trail, so I turned around and walked up to the top of the hill, and continued on the road until it finally intersected Rt 43 at the bottom of the hill, where the trail re-enters the woods straight ahead.

This was only an issue for me because I was hiking with only a general idea of the trail route in my head and no decent map. The lack of blazes on the road walk kept me wondering if I had missed the trail turning off into the woods somewhere.

Soon after I got back into the woods it got dark enough that I couldn't see well, and the rain started coming down in earnest, so I hung my hammock and camped for the night.

thanks monkeywrench. great info

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 16:22
What days are y'all out? Have you figured out the routing? I may be able to come out one or two of the days but am not equipped to camp overnight in winter, I don't think - the bag is rated only to 30 F, and I'd rather sleep at home if hiking that close this time of year.
going out friday saturday and sunday the 11th to the 13th. coach lou may hike friday.laz is hooking up with us late fri afternoon, me and elf will start fri am thru sun

Driver8
12-31-2012, 19:39
going out friday saturday and sunday the 11th to the 13th. coach lou may hike friday.laz is hooking up with us late fri afternoon, me and elf will start fri am thru sun

Great. The forecast I saw this pm was for a chance of snow on Friday with highs near 23 F, with minimal wind. Hopefully not too bad in hypothermic terms. I'd love to join you for some part of the loop. Should be gorgeous out there.

Sarcasm the elf
12-31-2012, 20:01
Hey Driver!

We'd be glad to have you join us. I agree that you shouldn't chance the overnights in a 30* bag (I'm bringing my zero degree, but that might be overkill as well). Let us know what days you want to hike with us and we'll PM you once we have a final plan.

I was trying to get Lou to hike with us the whole way, but apparently he considers work obligations more important than having fun with his friends :D

Driver8
01-01-2013, 02:49
Great, Dave. Ideally, I'd like to meet up with y'all at Falls Village at the northern A.T./Mohawk junction. I'd want to hike down from my car at Great Falls, then, ideally, hike with y'all to Rt. 4 and get another car back to mine. We could grab grub somewhere after. Does that fit with any of the days y'all are planning? Pls advise - PM's fine for me. It'd be fun to hike with you, and it would allow me to check off a big chunk of what I have left in CT. I'd then have Rt 4 to base of St. John's Ledges left and Rt. 341 to Rt. 55.

Sarcasm the elf
01-01-2013, 02:57
That could very well work. I'm considering dropping off my car at West Cornwall road as a bailout point, but can adjust to another parking spot. If I did this then I could easily shuttle you for a dayhike. I'll PM or call you once we figure it out.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 09:48
huong dan ca cuoc tren mang
huong dan ca cuoc online
huong dan ca do bong da
huong dan ca cuoc bong da
huong dan ca do tren mang
huong dan ca cuoc tren mang
huong dan ca cuoc bong da
huong dan ca do bong da online
huong dan ca do bong da tren mang
huong dan ca cuuoc bong da online
huong dan ca cuoc bong da tren mang
huong dan ca do bong da truc tuyen
huong dan ca cuoc bong da truc tuyen
huong da ca do qua mang
huong dan ca cuoc qua mang
you appear to be well huong

Sarcasm the elf
01-01-2013, 09:51
Andy, I just checked and tjteoo's campsite list is totaly inaccurate.

coach lou
01-01-2013, 09:53

How are we going to pay the registration fee.............do they take Green Yankee dolla?

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 09:55
yes, foxwoods is not a campsite

Driver8
01-01-2013, 11:14
I just noticed that this hike is for next weekend, not this upcoming one. Work is more likely to interfere with my ability to hike that Friday than this one. Will stayed tuned to your plans as they develop and advise of my sitch as it does.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 11:15
I just noticed that this hike is for next weekend, not this upcoming one. Work is more likely to interfere with my ability to hike that Friday than this one. Will stayed tuned to your plans as they develop and advise of my sitch as it does.
10-4 good buddy

Driver8
01-01-2013, 11:21
Andy: Is like getting back to normal in Long Beach area? I haven't been able to follow your reports, hope things are ok.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 11:28
Andy: Is like getting back to normal in Long Beach area? I haven't been able to follow your reports, hope things are ok.
yeah there are still a lot of vacant homes, and many cant really start to rebuild until after they get their insurance money, but yeah its aas close to normal as its gonna be for a while.many of the shops in long beach have yet to reopen, the main street in the west end beech street is still dark, storefronts and restaurants still mostly closed.
the bars are all open. there are priorities you know.

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 13:25
Wow, sounds like fun, but too much for me! You guys are Real Hikers, and as a clueless weekender I'd be tail-end Charlie in your group. 18-mile days in winter are beyond me right now.

One of these weeks I may come on here and try to organize a nice slower-paced trip, probably in the Cats. If people really want to see white blazes, it could be something in NY/Conn/Mass. At this point I might wait for warmer weather so as to do stuff in the Cats without having to tote snowshoes, crampons and ice axe. I like it better when I can hike safely in just microspikes.

I'm looking forward to your trip report. Take lots of pictures!

HB: Yeah, at this point getting back to normal is all "hurry up and wait." My brother finally spoke to the public adjuster, and he's at last got a steamfitter lined up and an electrician to install the new service and sign off on the inside wiring. They're working on a lining up a contractor to strip the siding and do the mold remediation. My aunt got a lot of help from my cousin, and she moved back into her house Christmas Eve. My brother says they did a terrific job with the remodel, new hardwood floors and everything. My foster sister found a senior apartment, and her house is just going to be bulldozed, it's a total loss. She's not crying, she'd rather spend the insurance money on something else.

Driver8
01-01-2013, 14:43
Hi Kevin: I don't think is the jet set you fear. Sounds more like 36 miles in three days, and the terrain in question is not terribly fearsome. It will be spike and/or snowshoe conditions, though. I'm not organizing it, but I'd bet you'd be welcome if you were able to join for a day or more.

Andy: Sounds about like what I would've expected. Glad to hear there's progress. I hope Congress will soon pass aid for the affected area. Yet another area of unexcusable delays, I think. Helping people who get walloped by hurricanes shouldn't be a political football, seems to me.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 15:04
Wow, sounds like fun, but too much for me! You guys are Real Hikers, and as a clueless weekender I'd be tail-end Charlie in your group. 18-mile days in winter are beyond me right now.

One of these weeks I may come on here and try to organize a nice slower-paced trip, probably in the Cats. If people really want to see white blazes, it could be something in NY/Conn/Mass. At this point I might wait for warmer weather so as to do stuff in the Cats without having to tote snowshoes, crampons and ice axe. I like it better when I can hike safely in just microspikes.

I'm looking forward to your trip report. Take lots of pictures!

HB: Yeah, at this point getting back to normal is all "hurry up and wait." My brother finally spoke to the public adjuster, and he's at last got a steamfitter lined up and an electrician to install the new service and sign off on the inside wiring. They're working on a lining up a contractor to strip the siding and do the mold remediation. My aunt got a lot of help from my cousin, and she moved back into her house Christmas Eve. My brother says they did a terrific job with the remodel, new hardwood floors and everything. My foster sister found a senior apartment, and her house is just going to be bulldozed, it's a total loss. She's not crying, she'd rather spend the insurance money on something else.
hey kevin we have to hike this spring. i get up to new paltz at least once a month, not too much of a stretch to the cats.

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 16:43
hey kevin we have to hike this spring. i get up to new paltz at least once a month, not too much of a stretch to the cats.

Sounds great! I'm always hurting for people to go with. I hate club outings, they always seem to be made up of people who are (a) fiercely competitive and (b) at least 30 years younger than I am. And my wife doesn't like me going solo. It would be terrific to have someone to shuttle cars with. There are a lot of hikes there that don't work well as loops.

Gee, I'm already thinking about where to go. What have you done already? Burroughs Range? Escarpment? Devil's Path? Blackhead Range? Or maybe a bit of no-blazing?

Koozy
01-01-2013, 23:14
I've been thinking about doing this hike sometime in the next year. I'd like to hear a report of your hike, particularly the Mohawk trail's conditions the storms we've had the past couple years.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 23:27
Sounds great! I'm always hurting for people to go with. I hate club outings, they always seem to be made up of people who are (a) fiercely competitive and (b) at least 30 years younger than I am. And my wife doesn't like me going solo. It would be terrific to have someone to shuttle cars with. There are a lot of hikes there that don't work well as loops.

Gee, I'm already thinking about where to go. What have you done already? Burroughs Range? Escarpment? Devil's Path? Blackhead Range? Or maybe a bit of no-blazing?
except for a hike to kaaterskill falls with my kids like 10 years ago, i havent hiked the catskills since the 80s. devils path is all i remember, so im pretty much open to anything.i usually head up to minnewaska and mohonk for dayhikes, i can get a great workout and the scenery is outstanding. if i wanted to travel farther i usually end up in nh or maine, so ive kinda skipped the catskills for some time.although in the last year ive been filling in some sections of the at in ct and mass.
bottom line -ill go anywhere

Driver8
01-02-2013, 02:53
except for a hike to kaaterskill falls with my kids like 10 years ago, i havent hiked the catskills since the 80s. devils path is all i remember, so im pretty much open to anything.i usually head up to minnewaska and mohonk for dayhikes, i can get a great workout and the scenery is outstanding. if i wanted to travel farther i usually end up in nh or maine, so ive kinda skipped the catskills for some time.although in the last year ive been filling in some sections of the at in ct and mass.
bottom line -ill go anywhere

It would be fun to do some group hikes over that way. I want to do Kaaterskill Falls and the 4K peaks over there, and I want to start hiking some of the NY section of the A.T.

Monkeywrench
01-02-2013, 11:24
I've been thinking about doing this hike sometime in the next year. I'd like to hear a report of your hike, particularly the Mohawk trail's conditions the storms we've had the past couple years.

As of October it was in pretty good shape. There are blow-downs here and there and a few spots where I had to stop and hunt a bit to find some blazes, but I was hiking at a difficult time of year when the trail-bed was buried in freshly fallen leaves.

It's not like walking the hiker super-highway that is the AT, which is part of the reason I liked it so much.

Driver8
01-02-2013, 12:34
As of October it was in pretty good shape. There are blow-downs here and there and a few spots where I had to stop and hunt a bit to find some blazes, but I was hiking at a difficult time of year when the trail-bed was buried in freshly fallen leaves.

It's not like walking the hiker super-highway that is the AT, which is part of the reason I liked it so much.

Sounds like you were out before Sandy, so there could be some damage out there yet.

1azarus
01-03-2013, 11:43
...if you read the weather forecasts (very) selectively next weekend should be a great time to be out! actually, with no additional snow forecast in the upcoming week, the snow now on the ground should be most walk-able, so completing the loop may well work. I would imagine that all of the trail is well broken by now, anyway. with the forecast of a tad bit of liquid snow next friday i think icing is the biggest issue and some kind of microspikes might be in order! at least the temps won't be terribly low. I have formally entered the pre-hike ecstasy stage.

Driver8
01-05-2013, 20:23
I just hiked the short stretch from Rt. 55 parking to 10 Mile Hill summit and back late this afternoon. There's a lot less snow out there than in Central CT. About 4" of base, less lower down, a bit more higher up. The trail was well packed out pretty well the whole way, all bareboots or spikes, no snowshoe or ski tracks that I could see. If we get a good rain in the next week, at least down in Sherman, the snow might be all or mostly gone. Up in Cornwall/Sharon area, probably there's a bit more snow, though I'd note there was essentially none on the A.T. in the part of Kent I did on Christmas Eve, before the 12/29 snow.

hikerboy57
01-05-2013, 20:25
thanks for the report driver8.right now it looks like its going to warm up nicely towrds the end of the week.hope we dont have too much rain if any.

coach lou
01-05-2013, 21:08
Yesterday i got a second assignment for Saturday. Friday: walk with you guys, 95% chance I sleep over. Saturday am walk out to 'the fish car', drive to Northford rink/ 445pm Daniel Hand vs. North Haven, get back in my car, drive to Newington (say Hi to Andys mom)830pm Newington vs East Catholic, leave head south on route 9 back to Saybrook.....try not to fall asleep on the way. Sunday, drive back to Northford, give skating instruction to Liberty Mutual insurance appraiser, walk to Red side (double rink) and ref 3 youth games.

Driver8
01-06-2013, 14:59
Yesterday i got a second assignment for Saturday. Friday: walk with you guys, 95% chance I sleep over. Saturday am walk out to 'the fish car', drive to Northford rink/ 445pm Daniel Hand vs. North Haven, get back in my car, drive to Newington (say Hi to Andys mom)830pm Newington vs East Catholic, leave head south on route 9 back to Saybrook.....try not to fall asleep on the way. Sunday, drive back to Northford, give skating instruction to Liberty Mutual insurance appraiser, walk to Red side (double rink) and ref 3 youth games.

Now that's a full weekend!

Any update on the itinerary, Andy? I am not sure yet about my Friday availability. Hope to do one of the three days with y'all. Would prefer the A.T. part if possible.

Sarcasm the elf
01-09-2013, 23:12
Hey Driver8, your PM inbox is full.

LIhikers
01-10-2013, 00:19
The only advice I can give is that you don't fall in the creek near Dark Entry Road at night, when it's in the 20s, and very windy. That's what my wife did a couple weeks ago and it ended our hike of this loop before it really got started. It was a great excersize on what to do if you fall in a creek on a windy night with temperatures in the 20s. We'll try again in the future. You guys are gonna have to take some photos and post them, OK?

Driver8
01-10-2013, 02:16
Hey Driver8, your PM inbox is full.

Thanks for the heads up, Elf. Just cleaned out some messages so back in business there. In fact, better than PM for me is e-mail, which I can get on the phone. Working all day tomorrow and Friday. I'm at [email protected], only one "s".

I can do Saturday or Sunday. Friday's out. If we do that part of the A.T. I mentioned, I think, due to the distance, I might want to start at Rt. 7 on north end and end at Rt. 4, or vice versa depending on the direction y'all are hiking, if possible. Looking forward to hiking with you - the forecast is looking pretty warm, so there should be minimal snow and ice to deal with. It'll be springy!

Driver8
01-12-2013, 21:08
Great hiking with you guys today, and good to meet you, HB, Elf and Lazarus. Laz, hope you got far enough to catch up with H and D after Lou and I advanced them a few miles. Enjoyed brunch with the guys at the Country Bistro - wish you could've been there, Steve, but I admire your speed and persistence.

The snow was pretty today, though the views were minimal. After the drop-off, I went and hiked across the Iron Bridge to Great Falls and back for another 0.8 - wasn't in the mood for more four-and-a-half more miles today, so I didn't do the round trip to my starting point this morning. I now have 60 miles even done on the long and winding trail. Looking forward to finishing the CT section soon and very much looking forward to another group hike with you all - today was a blast! Photos not loading for me now, will try in another post.

Driver8
01-12-2013, 21:13
By the way, boy, was I wrong about conditions - sorry about that, guys. As we talked about, there appears to have been a good-sized pre-Christmas snowstorm which hit Salisbury/Cornwall/Sharon and points north that missed Kent and Sherman, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 12/29 storm dumped more on this area than on further south. The trail never fails to surprise. :)

Driver8
01-13-2013, 13:28
Here's a link, by the way, to the Diamond Joe Biden bits in the Onion, the first, bottom one, from September 2011, being about him offering a vising ambassador a private tour of the sweet-a$$ roof of the White House, the other being the Twitter feed from his VP debate vs. Paul Ryan. http://www.theonion.com/search/?q=Diamond+joe+biden&sort=relevant

Joker4ink
01-19-2013, 18:56

Hey Monkeywrench,

I'm the new trail maintainer for the 4 mile section between the Mohawk State Forest entrance on Route 4 and Lake Road. I took over the trail only a month and a half ago and unfortunately the temperatures have not allowed me to do much blazing. The Johnson Road section was NEVER blazed after the re-route many years ago, yet the old AT blazes were blacked out. I was able get in a day blazing south bound on Johnson Road so far. Northbound hopefully soon.

From Route 4 to the outlook on Red Mountain is really bad with blazes. That is one of my first priorities once the temperatures permit. When the weather cooperates in the spring, I plan to host volunteer work days to help blaze, remove trail debris, clear a footpath for upcoming reroutes, etc. If you or anyone you know would like helping out, feel free to email me your contact information at [email protected] or leave a PM here. I'll hang on to info and keep you updated on dates.

I'll keep working on as much as I can and hope to catch you on the trail sometime.

Thanks,

Steve

pnyberg
05-22-2014, 09:24
I did this loop counter-clockwise (south on AT, north on Mohawk) last week. I started at Lime Rock, stayed the first night near Caesar Brook Campsite, the second night 'stealth' camped near the top of the ski area in Mohawk Park, the third night near Pine Knoll Lean-to. The trail was in good shape and easy to follow.

I did a video of the trip. This was first attempt, and it came out really long (over 90 minutes total). I split it up into separate videos for each day. The first day is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxORPnIpSLs

--Peter

Sarcasm the elf
02-10-2019, 18:09
Just got back from a quick overnight on a part of the Mohawk trail. Still a great little section, I really widh the A.T. had never been routed off of it.

tdoczi
02-10-2019, 19:10
Just got back from a quick overnight on a part of the Mohawk trail. Still a great little section, I really widh the A.T. had never been routed off of it.

keep meaning to do this. keep not getting around to it.

the reason why the relo was done has to probably be the most fascinatingly bizarre relo story of them all

LazyLightning
02-11-2019, 00:44
did the relo have to do with Dudley Town and Dark Entry Forest

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2019, 01:20
keep meaning to do this. keep not getting around to it.

the reason why the relo was done has to probably be the most fascinatingly bizarre relo story of them all

I highly recommend it, I think the Mohawk is much more scenic than the new section of the A.T. that replaced it.

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2019, 01:26
did the relo have to do with Dudley Town and Dark Entry Forest
I don’t claim to be terribly knowledgeable, however that’s the explanation I’ve read. Too many freaky freakies and local curiosity seekers started using what was then the A.T. through Dark Entry preserve to get to Dudleytown after the Warrens more or less fabricated the legend that the town was cursed. As I understand it, the owners and the town emergency services finally ran out of patience after a number of years of dealing with tresspassing and SAR calls from the mountain so they finally kicked the trail off. It reopened a number of years later under the management of the CFPA, but I know even less about that.

tdoczi
02-11-2019, 07:38
I don’t claim to be terribly knowledgeable, however that’s the explanation I’ve read. Too many freaky freakies and local curiosity seekers started using what was then the A.T. through Dark Entry preserve to get to Dudleytown after the Warrens more or less fabricated the legend that the town was cursed. As I understand it, the owners and the town emergency services finally ran out of patience after a number of years of dealing with tresspassing and SAR calls from the mountain so they finally kicked the trail off. It reopened a number of years later under the management of the CFPA, but I know even less about that.
its also closed (though i dont know how or how well policed it is) in october, and possibly late september, as apparently around halloween was when most of the problems arose.

tdoczi
02-11-2019, 07:39
its also closed (though i dont know how or how well policed it is) in october, and possibly late september, as apparently around halloween was when most of the problems arose.
which has made me wonder, was there ever a time it was presented to the ATC that the AT could stay where it was if they agreed to let it be closed down around halloween?

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2019, 10:05
Thanks for pointing that out, I’d totally forgotten. Fortunately I think it’s limited to the Dark Entry Forest property and not the whole trail. From local rumor I’ve heard that it is enforced to an extent as the neighbors on both sides will call the police if they see people who are obviously tresspassing.

tdoczi
02-11-2019, 10:19
Thanks for pointing that out, I’d totally forgotten. Fortunately I think it’s limited to the Dark Entry Forest property and not the whole trail. From local rumor I’ve heard that it is enforced to an extent as the neighbors on both sides will call the police if they see people who are obviously tresspassing.

this is also a really good case for being "anti purity" to harken back to another recent thread.

itd really be sort of bonkers to argue that a hiker who reached CT not around halloween decided to take the old route, which was really only abandoned for some bizarrely specific reasons, isnt a thru hiker.

i guess there are reasons why they dont do it but would ti really be so hard to say that this and a handful of other alternate routes (sherburne pass) still count?

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2019, 10:41
thanks for the report driver8.right now it looks like its going to warm up nicely towrds the end of the week.hope we dont have too much rain if any.

this is also a really good case for being "anti purity" to harken back to another recent thread.

itd really be sort of bonkers to argue that a hiker who reached CT not around halloween decided to take the old route, which was really only abandoned for some bizarrely specific reasons, isnt a thru hiker.

i guess there are reasons why they dont do it but would ti really be so hard to say that this and a handful of other alternate routes (sherburne pass) still count?

I’ve thought about the same thing, the biggest logistical challenge is that you technically need a free permit from CT DEEP to camp overnight on the Mohawk. That said, maybe it would reassure the purists that some of the original USGS style A.T. markers are still in place on the Mohawk:

tdoczi
02-11-2019, 11:20
I’ve thought about the same thing, the biggest logistical challenge is that you technically need a free permit from CT DEEP to camp overnight on the Mohawk. That said, maybe it would reassure the purists that some of the original USGS style A.T. markers are still in place on the Mohawk:

isnt it possible to hike the whole mohawk trail in a day? the loop is less than 40 miles if am remembering right and i would guess the mohawk part of the loop is in the range of half that?

thats part of why ive never got around to it. its stuck in some sort of in between of either needing to use a shuttle to do a day hike, making some sort sort of weird day and a half trip out of it, or doing like i did with the AT proper through there and chopping it up into a few of out and back day hikes or loops if possible.

LazyLightning
02-11-2019, 20:49
While you may technically need a permit, I don't think it would be frowned upon if you stayed at a shelter giving the right of way to anybody else that showed up. When I was hiking the trail last year with my buddy I ran into a ridge runner who asked if we were doing the loop, to which I replied just a short 2 day trip doing a small section. It was cold and he was like "yea we were supposed to camp to but chickened out" and even mentioned the shelters not asking nothing about a permit or anything... maybe he assumed we had a permit but was real cool, seems pretty laid back like nobody's gonna bust your stones for showing up for a place to stay, especially if you got a tent/hammock or your own means of a shelter in case its crowded.... but then again it was freezing out, not sure how popular it gets.

They do close the section Mohawk Trail from the end of Dark Entry Rd. going north to Jewel St. (4.9 miles) for a week or a little more around Halloween. I first noticed that when I got to the end of Dark Entry Rd. last year a few days before Halloween, and I'm not saying it's right but we decided to "get in the woods before the neighbors see" instead of road walking back to the truck. We were not going to Dudley but I did know about it. We get in the woods out of sight and decide it's time for a safety break, then two women come walking down the trail who I first thought were neighbors. Then they start talking about how there going to Dudley and this and that and we pretended we never heard of it still thinking its likely neighbors pretending. So they move on and we pass them a short time later heading back saying "we saw a dark shadow ahead and we were afraid to go any further" …. of course they were nowhere near Dudley but it showed me people still come up for that, we were sitting down less then 10 min and ran into somebody. We also saw a family hiking that closed section the same day and more then one entry in a hiking journal in that section that was dated during the closed time. I'm not telling anyone to go there then and I wouldn't plan on it again, I'm just saying what I saw and experienced there.

It is a very nice section, more road walking but still more miles off roads then the AT relocation. At least we got a nice loop out of it and not just a lost section of trail...

LazyLightning
02-11-2019, 20:53
isnt it possible to hike the whole mohawk trail in a day? the loop is less than 40 miles if am remembering right and i would guess the mohawk part of the loop is in the range of half that?

thats part of why ive never got around to it. its stuck in some sort of in between of either needing to use a shuttle to do a day hike, making some sort sort of weird day and a half trip out of it, or doing like i did with the AT proper through there and chopping it up into a few of out and back day hikes or loops if possible.

Mohawk is 25.7 and the AT in-between is 13.7

Just Tom
02-12-2019, 15:28
My son and I did some trail work on the Mohawk and met the owner of the land (he was part of the crew) and he showed us some of the the damage and graffiti he has to deal with. I don't blame him for trying to close it during those high-abuse times.

Chris gagnier
08-26-2020, 07:54
I’m planning on doing the AT Mohawk loop in mid to late September. I’m a little nervous that because not a lot of people use it anymore that trail blaze is not clear and will get lost. Any advice will help. Thank you

Chris gagnier
08-26-2020, 08:03
Are the blazes easy to follow

LazyLightning
08-26-2020, 18:10
No worries on that most CT blue blazed trails are marked well and easy to follow, probably even blazed more frequently then the AT itself. The blazes will be clear and not close to worn out, maybe blow downs to deal with but the trails are kept up with pretty good. Maybe other intersecting trails around but should be marked good at intersections... there is one other blue blazed trail on Mohawk Mountain (Mattatuck Trail) that heads south but should be no problem.

LazyLightning
11-30-2020, 15:55
just got done with this loop since early friday morning, catching a little rain on the way out but what a beautiful weekend for November otherwise. The Mohawk Trail was actually not blazed as well and hard to follow in a few spots contradicting my earlier post, mostly in the northeast corner of it. Also lots of blow downs right now. The tornado damage and recent clearing that was done around Belters Bump is pretty impressive. Didn't see many people out and nobody since late Saturday afternoon. Only other backpackers I ran into was a friend that was a total surprise, leap frogged a little then they passed.