PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for blogging/journaling for thru hike

Cozy
12-30-2012, 19:49
There are several communication platforms for blogging/journalling and I'd like to know from thru hikers who have done it which is the easiest/best to use. I see some used trailjournals.com, others Facebook, Wordpress, Tumblr, etc. Some do it from their phones (my preference), others from a library along/off the trail.

I'd like to hear about your experiences, pros/cons of a particular communication platform, and recommendations.

Thanks!

handlebar
12-30-2012, 23:54
I write my journals each evening using the notepad app on my iPhone. When I'm in town and have WIFI or have 3G from the trail, I can cut and past this into trailjournals. I find the Safari browser is easy enough to use with the standard trailjournals application. YMMV.

Kc Fiedler
12-31-2012, 00:57
You know, you could always use the good old pen and paper. After all, part of thru hiking is to not be plugged in to the internet every day...

Grand Poobah
12-31-2012, 02:52
I used tumblr on my droid. Did the similar, wrote an "email draft" and when in town or with 3G posted it along with pictures. My battery sucked so I typically would write with pen and paper and then typed it up when I had down time. There were specific things about my trip I wrote on paper that I will not share. and times when I went weeks without a post. I hiked for me. Just wanted to share some of my experiences.

Also with tumblr, I was able to post to tumblr and it would auto post on fb as well.

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2012, 10:20
My favorite, too. The old reliable analog word processor.

BrianLe
12-31-2012, 13:52
I feel like I'm turning into a shill for postholer, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet on this particular thread --- postholer.com has worked well for me, typing up entries on a smartphone and uploading them from the phone sometimes on-trail and sometimes in trail towns. Have a look at the features on postholer.com

Cozy
12-31-2012, 14:08
You know, you could always use the good old pen and paper. After all, part of thru hiking is to not be plugged in to the internet every day...

Yes, that's true. And I plan to bring those for my own personal thoughts and reflections. However, friends and family will be following me and I want to be able to provide them with short updates of where I am on the trail and some of my experiences.