PDA

View Full Version : The Best Hiker Box Finds and Weird hiker box finds also welcome

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 20:07
Ah the old Hiker Box those welcoming recepticals to ditch stuff you don't want or take something ya need

My best hiker box find was some instant soup mix now it was foreign written in some European like language don't know what kind it was but man that was the best instant soup I ever had and afew spoonfuls of in my ramen really added some zing

I've also found several fuel cannisters which was cool

The weirdest things I've seen are condoms and a marijuana pipe

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 20:10
yes it turns out all you really need on a thru hike is one condom, and even that is mostly used as an emergency water carrier.
the pipe however is a tough puzzle.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 20:37
yes it turns out all you really need on a thru hike is one condom, and even that is mostly used as an emergency water carrier.
the pipe however is a tough puzzle.

I don't think condoms are very effective as water carriers

As for the Pipe Coulda been a set up with tracking chip to see who's holding or some paranoid stoner saw a cop car n ditched it in the hiker box

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 20:38

As for the Pipe Coulda been a set up with tracking chip to see who's holding or some paranoid stoner saw a cop car n ditched it in the hiker box
it may indeed havebeen planted by sevenpines.do you know of him?

brian039
12-30-2012, 20:39
Best hiker box find was one of those flavor packs that you mix with your water. It stayed in the dark recesses of my food bag and I forgot about it and carried it about 1,000 miles until one day I found myself desperately thirsty and without water. The only water to be had was the green, fishy smelling water of the Bear Mt Zoo. I'm so glad I remembered I had that flavor pack.

johnnybgood
12-30-2012, 20:43
Ramen noodles are popular discards in hiker boxes. Mac & Cheese was probably my best find, along with a couple of snickers bars for sure.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-30-2012, 21:52
it may indeed havebeen planted by sevenpines.do you know of him?

Dude for the last time I ain't seven pines

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 21:55
no worries didnt think you were.do you know of him?if you did you would understand my reference,if you didnt you wouldnt have known what i was talking about.
dude

Old Hiker
12-30-2012, 22:03

no worries didnt think you were.do you know of him?if you did you would understand my reference,if you didnt you wouldnt have known what i was talking about.
dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lady_doth_protest_too_much,_methinks

Best score for me was a full length ALPS air mattress at Uncle Johnny's. Heavy, but WAY more comfortable than the 3/4 Thermarest I HAD been toting. I never could trust myself to eat what food had been left int he boxes, though.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2012, 22:03
I don't go near hiker boxes - you could catch something nasty digging around in them :)

Old Hiker
12-30-2012, 22:07
I don't go near hiker boxes - you could catch something nasty digging around in them :)

Wait, wait, wait !!! That was me, cleaning out SEVERAL of the boxes at various hostels!! Even got to wash my clothes for free at Standing Bear Farm for cleaning out the box and washing some dishes.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2012, 22:23

You have to use the "magnum" ones.

Train Wreck
12-30-2012, 22:24
I don't go near hiker boxes - you could catch something nasty digging around in them
Wait, wait, wait !!! That was me, cleaning out SEVERAL of the boxes at various hostels!! Even got to wash my clothes for free at Standing Bear Farm for cleaning out the box and washing some dishes.

LOL. I just got this mental picture of Gollum scrabbling around in a hiker box, saying "it's nassstyyy, where is my precioussss..."

Old Hiker
12-30-2012, 22:33
LOL. I just got this mental picture of Gollum scrabbling around in a hiker box, saying "it's nassstyyy, where is my precioussss..."

I resemble that remark.

Blue Mountain Edward
12-31-2012, 02:37
Dont eat food you find in ziplock bags, it probaly is very stale. It is amazing how much stuff gets left next to the trail, I picked up plenty. My best trail find was 2 boxes of Velveeta mac and cheese, yum. The AT museum in PA got a hiker box for us broke backpackers.

Grand Poobah
12-31-2012, 02:47
This year I scored big time with the hiker boxes, but also left my fair share of "extra" food weight in them. Right out of the 100 mile wilderness I found a Full length Thermarest. In Harpers Ferry, I found a fairly new NICE Marmot rain jacket. I picked up some food here and there, but most of the time was to just save money while in towns vs eating out, and not eating my food for the trail.

John B
12-31-2012, 05:50
A white lacy bra, cup size of well over a handful. I seriously wanted to meet the lady who decided to leave it behind, but no such luck.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 07:30
A white lacy bra, cup size of well over a handful. I seriously wanted to meet the lady who decided to leave it behind, but no such luck.

Probably a fat chick and they'd be sagging .

Mrs Baggins
12-31-2012, 08:10
Was in Ron Haven's Sapphire Inn's office when someone reached into the box there and found a USED container of Body Glide....now that is disgusting. :eek:

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 08:27
Was in Ron Haven's Sapphire Inn's office when someone reached into the box there and found a USED container of Body Glide....now that is disgusting. :eek:

Did they take it

I guess one could slice the top part off and wipe the cap n sides with an alcohol swab

Sapphire Inn man that was a party place everybody was hammered got kinda annoying actually

What was cool was the tour bus that take you allover town and when he's driving Ron Havers tells some of the funniest tales I ever heard man when I got back to Winding Stair Gap I was laughing at his tales for 15 miles

Train Wreck
12-31-2012, 11:03
Did they take it

I guess one could slice the top part off and wipe the cap n sides with an alcohol swab

Sapphire Inn man that was a party place everybody was hammered got kinda annoying actually

What was cool was the tour bus that take you allover town and when he's driving Ron Havers tells some of the funniest tales I ever heard man when I got back to Winding Stair Gap I was laughing at his tales for 15 miles

When did you do this memorable section hike? Just curious :)

Malto
12-31-2012, 11:26
By far the best hiker box I have ever seen was on the PCT/JMT at Muir Trail Ranch. It was full of resupplies not picked up by the JMT hikers. My score that day.... Two large Mountain House Lasagna dinners, two marinated chicken breasts and a packet of freeze dried ground beef. We ate large that night and had a delicious luch heading over Muir Pass the next day.

On the flip side. I left quite a few Ultimate Lithium AAA and AA batteries in hiker boxes. I had them in my resupplies and didnt do as much night hiking as I expected. Someone scored big with those.

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 18:16
Probably a fat chick and they'd be sagging .

Now now fat women need loving too. Also more appropriate and less offensive terms are bbw or full figured have a little respect you seem somewhat wet behind the ears so I'll leave it at that.

kayak karl
12-31-2012, 18:46
i found shoe goop and i needed it that day :)

Mrs Baggins
12-31-2012, 19:37
Did they take it

No, it wasn't taken. It was a guy and his girlfriend. She picked up the used Body Glide and he immediately told her to drop it! :) It was nice and quiet when I stayed there in 2008.

herman2feathers
01-01-2013, 10:28
Beer :smilie:

Marta
01-01-2013, 11:28
By far the best hiker box I have ever seen was on the PCT/JMT at Muir Trail Ranch. It was full of resupplies not picked up by the JMT hikers.

Ditto. I passed through there in August, and they had a couple dozen hiker boxes, the goods sorted by type. More and better hiker foods than most outdoor stores.