PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for one week AT section in New England

hermit1970
12-30-2012, 22:19
If I had only one week to hike any section of the AT in New England where should it be, to - from?

johnnybgood
12-30-2012, 23:16
What exactly are you looking to experience,i.e. a challenging week , scenic but not strenous. If you want a challenge, then anything in NH or Maine.
Get shuttled to I-93, Franconia Notch-Lafayette/ Old Bridle Trail to Mt.Lafayette, hike north to Gorham. I'm not sure the mileage. but it's probably 70-80 miles.

hikerboy57
12-30-2012, 23:17
when are you planning on going?

shelb
12-30-2012, 23:46
If I had only one week to hike any section of the AT in New England where should it be, to - from?

OK - hermit1970 from Planet Earth, in order to answer your question, it is necessary to know what type of hiking you are used to and what shape you are in. For example: We flatlanders from Michigan may think we are "buff" as we can hike 20 miles a day without a problem; however, once we hit the mountains of Maine, it is a different story!

My suggestion: Walk across the ENTIRE STATE of Maryland! Wow! Is that not cool to say! That is about 50 miles, plenty for people who have not backpacked in the mountains before.

If you have experience backpacking HIGHER MILEAGE DAYS IN MOUNTAIN (note: BOTH are required!): Start at PenMar Park in Pennsylvania, walk across the state of Maryland through Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and continue to Front Royal Virginia for a total of 95 miles. Honestly, rather than do this, I would complete the 110 miles it takes to go through the Shenandoah National Park from RockFish Gap to Front Royal (LOVED this hike!).

Cookerhiker
12-31-2012, 19:46
when are you planning on going?

To amplify this response, if you're planning to hike in Spring, say April and May, you're limited to CT and MA. It's not that those states are bad - it's just too early to hike the Whites of NH or Maine, and Vermont is in mud season.

If you're hiking in mid-summer, the Whites are spectacular but as said above, very challenging.

Fall - September is good for all of NH and Maine. October is good for the rest of New England.

hermit1970
01-02-2013, 20:55
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Not exactly sure when I will be doing this but probably would be late spring or early summer. I'm not an experienced backpacker but I've been running trail ultras for years so I'm used to covering rugged terrain. Never been to the Whites though and I hear it is very tough going there.

hikerboy57
01-02-2013, 21:00
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Not exactly sure when I will be doing this but probably would be late spring or early summer. I'm not an experienced backpacker but I've been running trail ultras for years so I'm used to covering rugged terrain. Never been to the Whites though and I hear it is very tough going there.
whites are best from mid july to october. think ct/mass

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 22:40
I'm not an experienced backpacker but I've been running trail ultras for years so I'm used to covering rugged terrain. Never been to the Whites though and I hear it is very tough going there.

I hiked NH from Hanover to Mt. Washington in August. The first two or three or four days were not bad. I had a 14-mile day and a 16-mile day (slackpacked). However, after that, I describe NH as "brutal." My last couple of days were gimpy 5-milers. I have a thread about my hike and a link to a photo album, if that might interest you. My weather for two weeks was great; only Mooselauke summit was fogged in. The rest were sunny with blue skies.

Rain Man

Hikerhead
01-02-2013, 23:42
What exactly are you looking to experience,i.e. a challenging week , scenic but not strenous. If you want a challenge, then anything in NH or Maine.
Get shuttled to I-93, Franconia Notch-Lafayette/ Old Bridle Trail to Mt.Lafayette, hike north to Gorham. I'm not sure the mileage. but it's probably 70-80 miles.

That would miss 4 or 5 miles of the ridgeline....I would start on the Liberty Springs trail (I think that's what it's called) which is the AT. After hiking the last 2 or three miles straight up the mtn camp at the Liberty Springs campsite just before reaching the ridgeline. That would catch the 2 or 3 summits before hitting Lafayette.

Quadzilla
01-03-2013, 12:20
Easy answer.....Maine! The section of Trail from Caratunk (the Kennebec River) to the Katahdin Iron Works road is one of my favorite sections of the entire AT. Lots of variety with climbs of Pleasant Pond Mtn, Moxie Bald and Barren-Chairback; all short, steep climbs/descents with outstanding views. Throw in over a half dozen ponds, two long river side walks, an awesome canyon and several waterfalls and you pretty much have all that Maine offers without killing yourself.

gizzy bear
01-03-2013, 17:10
Easy answer.....Maine! The section of Trail from Caratunk (the Kennebec River) to the Katahdin Iron Works road is one of my favorite sections of the entire AT. Lots of variety with climbs of Pleasant Pond Mtn, Moxie Bald and Barren-Chairback; all short, steep climbs/descents with outstanding views. Throw in over a half dozen ponds, two long river side walks, an awesome canyon and several waterfalls and you pretty much have all that Maine offers without killing yourself.

very nice to read this post, since we are planning the Hundred Mile Wilderness and summit katahdin in aug/sept... can't wait for the scenery !!!

Snowleopard
01-03-2013, 19:38
"late spring or early summer"
late spring: Vermont trails are closed in mud season (until memorial day weekend), further north there will be mud or snow.
early summer: if you mean late May or June, black flies can be unendurable from VT north. Bring a headnet, long sleeve shirt and long pants and lots of DEET. By July the worst will be over if you're lucky.

So, I'd say before June 1, do Conn and Mass; don't miss the CT/MA border area, my favorite.
After July 1, NH or Maine as others have said. The highest mountains in NH are gorgeous but tough and sometimes have awful weather. July 4th weekend the White mountains in NH will be pretty busy.

In June, your choices are the rugged beautiful mountains of NH and Maine shared with black flies or the gentler but pretty Conn and Mass with fewer black flies.

Cookerhiker
01-03-2013, 19:45
...In June, your choices are the rugged beautiful mountains of NH and Maine shared with black flies or the gentler but pretty Conn and Mass with fewer black flies.

...but increasing numbers of mosquitoes.

hermit1970
01-06-2013, 10:19
I have a thread about my hike and a link to a photo album, if that might interest you. Rain Man

RainMan, would love to see the photos. Thanks

hermit1970
01-06-2013, 10:26

Quad,
This sounds amazing. How many miles is this section? Maybe I can do CT/MA in the spring and then this ME section once the weather warms up.
Thanks

Cookerhiker
01-06-2013, 12:12
Quad,
This sounds amazing. How many miles is this section? Maybe I can do CT/MA in the spring and then this ME section once the weather warms up.
Thanks

Caratunk to Katahdin Ironworks Rd. is 68 miles.

If you want to see photos of Maine, have you breezed the White Blaze Gallery (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=563)? Lots of good ones.

My journal starting with Caratunk is here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115467). Note that Pleasant Pond Mountain is very steep. Photos from the journal starting on that date are here (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=121689).

BigRing
01-06-2013, 19:21
You might consider moving a little further south and hiking the Lake Placid trail.

hermit1970
01-06-2013, 20:05
Caratunk to Katahdin Ironworks Rd. is 68 miles.

Cooker, thanks for the mileage info. Certainly sounds doable during my week vacation. Enjoyed your journal and photos of that section. Thanks for sharing the link.