PDA

View Full Version : Other outdoor activities while thru-hiking?

bamackc
12-31-2012, 03:58
I've read up on the chances of fishing, what are other outdoor activities to do along the way?
Are there more that one or two spots to easily rent white water gear and buy a shuttle?Is there enough boldering spots to justify carrying a pare shoes and some chalk? How about some areas to have your caving gear sent to you? How easy are thewomen ( I don't care if they stink)?

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2012, 04:39
64 threads.. TMI and added stress,,,

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=3035073

Here is my take ..... unless you are going to cheat, there are far to many licenses and the fines suck. I am (contrary to opinion) a nice guy... I have been approached by morons with guns ( Fish & wild life) Yes I do have a three piece fishing system that packs flat. And never been fined, smile, be nice, oh gosh you are doing the best job... the voice of reason... Do your best!

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 07:50
64 threads.. TMI and added stress,,,

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=3035073

Here is my take ..... unless you are going to cheat, there are far to many licenses and the fines suck. I am (contrary to opinion) a nice guy... I have been approached by morons with guns ( Fish & wild life) Yes I do have a three piece fishing system that packs flat. And never been fined, smile, be nice, oh gosh you are doing the best job... the voice of reason... Do your best!

Well if people didn't start New threads on the same topics this place would die off

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 07:52
I've read up on the chances of fishing, what are other outdoor activities to do along the way?
Are there more that one or two spots to easily rent white water gear and buy a shuttle?Is there enough boldering spots to justify carrying a pare shoes and some chalk? How about some areas to have your caving gear sent to you? How easy are thewomen ( I don't care if they stink)?

You're best bet is to inquire locally for exact and detailed information

Dogwood
12-31-2012, 13:08
How easy are thewomen ( I don't care if they stink)?

THIS IS UNCALLED FOR!!! YO MODS, where are you?

Troll in progress,

This poster(imposter) and one or two others is probably the same person going under different names!

Southerner
12-31-2012, 13:53
I hiked with a couple of LASHes during my MEGA who took a weekened off of the trail at I-77 to rent a car and raft the Gauley River in wVa. That would only work in the fall, though, as that's when they do a dam release that makes that river raft-able (big rapids, too -- Class IV to VI). However, one could also exit the trail at I-77 to raft the New River near Beckley, wVa, which runs a longer season (Class II to Class V).

The AT crosses right through an outfitter's facility in southern North Carolina -- the NOC at Wesser. They run, among other things, white water trips on the Nantahala River running right through the middle of their property.

The James River near the trail in central Virginia is run by outfitters. The rapids are pretty small there -- only Class I to Class III.

An appreciable number of GAME hikers either take a trip or outright aqua-blaze on the Shenandoah River from the Waynesboro, Va. area as far as the mouth of the river at Harpers Ferry. Outfitters have some sort of arrangement whereby they temporarily sell gear because of some issue about crossing the state line (maybe business licensing?).

A few MEGAs aqua-blaze on the Delaware River.

I know the Penobscot and Kennebec Rivers are run commercially in Maine (not to mention your required canoe ride at Caratunk).

As to bouldering, I am sure you could fine dozens of rocks along the way. I know it's a popular sport at McAfee's Knob (the boulders near the summit, not the knob itself) and at nearby Tinker Cliffs in Va.

You're on your own as to women, although the wonderfully grimy town of Duncannon now has two strip clubs very close to the trail -- in fact, the "Cabin" is right on the trail.