PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike parking?

xaf208
12-31-2012, 10:56
Howdy,
I'm planning a NOBO beginning in March and am planning on driving down to the trailhead. Are there any long-term parking options available other than renting a commercial storage unit? Not that I'm opposed to that, but six months of parking will set me back almost $600, and I could sure rather use that $$$ to buy more hiking gear, if you know what I mean...

max patch
12-31-2012, 11:04
You can park at Amicalola State Park in the hiker parking lot for $5 (total) while you do your thru. You'll need to hike the 8 mile blue blazed approach trail to get to the top of Springer. Years ago the approach trail used to be the white blazed AT; many hikers start their hikes there still today.

Papa D
12-31-2012, 11:31
You can park at Amicalola State Park in the hiker parking lot for $5 (total) while you do your thru. You'll need to hike the 8 mile blue blazed approach trail to get to the top of Springer. Years ago the approach trail used to be the white blazed AT; many hikers start their hikes there still today.

Yes - - and the approach trail (and climbing all the steps by the falls) is a dramatic and cool way to start - - it surprises me that so many people go to so much trouble to get to Springer Mountain (proper) to start - - the approach trail is the coolest part of the first part of the trail (maybe to Blood Mountain). Most people take a heavy duty car cover or at least one of those sun things that go on the dashboard. If you need some help or more ideas send me a P/M - - I live about an hour from there.

MuddyWaters
12-31-2012, 11:45
Have you considered what a pain it will be coming back to a vehicle with a dead battery and possibly other issues?
Leaving vehicles sitting is never good, problems develop, especially on older vehicles already. Todays gas turns to varnish in only a month and clogs filters up, the ethanol in gas attracts water and causes rust in gas tank which destroys fuel pump.

At a minimum leave the tank 100% full of stabilized gas.

Then theres the transportation cost to get back to your car, several hundred $ for sure.

Does not sound like the best approach to me for a thru hike.

bigcranky
12-31-2012, 12:22
Um, yeah, is there a reason you're driving from Idaho, rather than flying or taking the train or bus? You should be able to fly to Atlanta for not too much money, then it's easy enough to get a ride to the trail. (I'd go with the Hiker Hostel, which will pick you up at the last MARTA station, drive you back to the hostel, give you a place to sleep for the night, a great breakfast, and a ride to the trail for well under a hundred bucks.)

Just the logistics of getting back from Maine to Springer will be somewhat difficult. Of course, if you end up dropping off the trail before Damascus, having your car at Springer is probably a pretty good idea. (No offense meant, but most people attempting a thru-hike do this.)

l84toff
12-31-2012, 16:08
Have you considered what a pain it will be coming back to a vehicle with a dead battery and possibly other issues?
Leaving vehicles sitting is never good, problems develop, especially on older vehicles already. Todays gas turns to varnish in only a month and clogs filters up, the ethanol in gas attracts water and causes rust in gas tank which destroys fuel pump.

At a minimum leave the tank 100% full of stabilized gas.

Then theres the transportation cost to get back to your car, several hundred $ for sure.

Does not sound like the best approach to me for a thru hike.

I'm no expert but wouldn't the car sitting at home have the same problem? Also you need transportation from your home to the trail and from the trail home for a thru. With a car, you have one leg of this already taken care of and only have to worry about the trip back (to your car), I mean you still have to get yourself home either way, no? Or am I missing something?

MuddyWaters
12-31-2012, 16:23
I'm no expert but wouldn't the car sitting at home have the same problem? Also you need transportation from your home to the trail and from the trail home for a thru. With a car, you have one leg of this already taken care of and only have to worry about the trip back (to your car), I mean you still have to get yourself home either way, no? Or am I missing something?

For starters, your missing the fact that its very likely the battery will have to be replaced after sitting dead for a couple of months, and he will need to change that in a parking lot, with little means available to. At home someone can drive your car around usually once in a while to keep battery charged.

Id venture a guess that airfare for Idaho to Ga or ME to Idaho is at least competitive, if not cheaper than gas for driving that distance. Especially if throw in overnight lodging and food along the way.

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2012, 18:52
driving across country before the hike begins can add alot of fun to the adventure! :-)

l84toff
12-31-2012, 19:36
driving across country before the hike begins can add alot of fun to the adventure! :-)

Personally I agree. Also I can pack everything I need, no worries about what is accepted on a flight and what is not. Also no worries about checking your luggage, having it sent somewhere else or stolen (I mean lost completely - I have had both of these happen to our family on a trip).

As far as the battery thing, I think I'd bring some jumper cables and already have CAA/AAA. Not that flying is a bad way to go just different strokes for different folks I think.

Papa D
12-31-2012, 19:42
Personally I agree. Also I can pack everything I need, no worries about what is accepted on a flight and what is not. Also no worries about checking your luggage, having it sent somewhere else or stolen (I mean lost completely - I have had both of these happen to our family on a trip).

As far as the battery thing, I think I'd bring some jumper cables and already have CAA/AAA. Not that flying is a bad way to go just different strokes for different folks I think.

I don't love the fuel use and there are more environmentally sensitive ways to travel than solo by car but I also agree with you that road-trips across the country are super fun - I've done a few - pick up a hitchhiking hiker maybe - very good karma

xaf208
01-01-2013, 04:52
Personally, I would have to say that if this does not sound like a good idea to you, then don't do it.
And as always, remember to "Hike Your Own Hike".
See you on the trail!

leaftye
01-01-2013, 05:23
What about selling it around Springer and having the buyer drop you off at the trail head? Then you won't be paying insurance on a parked vehicle or dealing with the repair issues at the end of the trip.

Brian3211
01-04-2013, 23:07
I'm wondering about this too, I was actually considering looking for a storage option near katadyn that way when I finished the thru hike I could just drive home. I was thinking of draining my oil and running it low on gas, That way when I finished I could put fresh oil and gas in it before the drive home. What do you guys think? What do you guys do with your cars while thru hiking?

l84toff
01-05-2013, 00:17
I'm wondering about this too, I was actually considering looking for a storage option near katadyn that way when I finished the thru hike I could just drive home. I was thinking of draining my oil and running it low on gas, That way when I finished I could put fresh oil and gas in it before the drive home. What do you guys think? What do you guys do with your cars while thru hiking?

Personally I would make sure the fuel is completely topped off (full - not empty) and oil is fresh (this is how I winterize my bike at least), add some stabilizer to the fuel and I'm done. Of course I also hook up a trickle charger to the bike....:-?

jj2044
01-05-2013, 00:31
Why not rent a car ??? you can now get them with unlimited miles, this year i got one from damacus va well tri-cities and drove to dallas in a day.. only cost me 140 bucks + gas.

Tuckahoe
01-05-2013, 01:12
I'll certainly agree that the road trip itself can be pretty enjoyable, so i understand the desire to drive cross country to Springer. But I'd certainly listen to the advice of others here and have a plan for the long term storage/parking of my car.

peakbagger
01-05-2013, 09:44
IF you look around on E-bay, you can pick up VW solar panels that are installed in the car to keep the battery topped up during shipping. Just cut the leads off and pick up an cigarette lighter adaptor and plug it in.Many modern cars need to keep the battery charged to a minimal amount or the computer loses its memory. Good tires will not go flat over 6 months, throw a hand pump in the trunk. Stop at a marine dealer and pick up some Star Tron gas stabilizer and dump it in before the last fill up. Condensation will form in the oil but as long as its good oil, it will be driven off during the first long ride.

The one thing you cant do much about is varmit proofing. Various pests may decide that your car is a great place to nest or gnaw on. Most of the time its not an issue but make darn sure that you pull the air cleaner before you start the car as mice love to nest in there. It may be worth putting hardware cloth over the air inlet pipe. They also love to nest in heater boxes but keeping them out of there can be a challenge as they normally access this are via the cowl vents, this is car specific but if you can figure out how fresh air gets in the heating system, its worth blocking that.

For those who want to leave a car long term in millinocket, I would suggest putting an ad in the local paper, there are many elderly folks on tight budgets that might be willing to let you park your car and run it occasionally. There really arent any public lots like at Springer.