PDA

View Full Version : Trail Strength Anti-Persperant "Deodorant"

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 11:04
OK now I suppose some of ya are shaking your heads but I am dead serious here

Trail stink is part of life but there is no reason to smell like a landfill

my arm pits flow like Niagara falls even on a mild day

I used travel sized Degree but was deeply disappointed

Next time is there some kinda TRAIL STRENGTH antiperspirant I mean some heavy duty stuff that keeps ya dry all day

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 11:11
Well it sounds like you need something with high endurance and that will smell appealing to others. Try this. It's a proven scent. Popular with hikers. 18711

max patch
12-31-2012, 11:16
I know you're a troll but on the off chance that someone else is wondering the same thing I'll point out that its easy enough to heat up a little extra water when cooking and clean up a bit with a bandana. Add Dr Bonners for extra credit.

bigcranky
12-31-2012, 11:24
No deodorant or antiperspirant will work on the trail. Not for me, anyway. Just take a bandana bath at the end of the day. Or try merino wool base layers, which don't stink like synthetics. And stop in town every few days for a real shower.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 11:30
I know you're a troll but on the off chance that someone else is wondering the same thing I'll point out that its easy enough to heat up a little extra water when cooking and clean up a bit with a bandana. Add Dr Bonners for extra credit.

I am not a TROLL

Having the willingness to ask the questions nobody else would ask doesn't make one a troll

Geez it would be nice to join a chatroom for once without being called a troll

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 11:36
This makes it sound as if this is not the first time or place. Just saying.

russb
12-31-2012, 11:37
As is said on another forum I frequent, It isn't WHAT you say but HOW you say it.

If you are finding that you are often confused with a troll, perhaps you should reconsider HOW you come across.

As to your question, which btw, did not come across trollish on this thread, I find that avoiding synthetic base layers and cleaning up daily, including washing clothes every once in a while significantly reduces the homeless funk. Your body actually gets used to not bathing with caustic soaps and stops producing so many stinky oils.

bannerstone
12-31-2012, 11:44
I've often thought that a good way to combat the stink would be using anti-microbial detergent for my clothing. I've searched about for threads on this subject here on WB but never found a thorough discussion of it. This idea came to me while watching an episode of "How It's Made." Apparently socks, shoes and many other items of clothing are manufactured with fibers that are treated with anti-microbials that stay residual and effective on the product for a substantial number of launderings.

My first thought was that a good source for products might be those used around the medical field for linens.

David

RodentWhisperer
12-31-2012, 11:57
... is there some kinda TRAIL STRENGTH antiperspirant I mean some heavy duty stuff that keeps ya dry all day

In a word: no.

Slo-go'en
12-31-2012, 12:09
I haven't used a deoderant/antiperspirant in 30 years.

Humm, maybe that's why I'm still single...

Seriously, when in the woods the ones who are most bothered by insects are those who look and smell like a flower, with thier bright color clothes and perfume. If the wind is blowing the right way, you can smell a day hiker 1/4 mile away...

Old Hiker
12-31-2012, 12:13
Didn't want to carry the weight. Used a wet-wipe or two at night. Face/hands first, then pits, then crotch. Has to be that order, I'm told.

I switched to the Coleman soap sheets as well. One sheet with a palm of cold water for washing up in the morning and before meals did GREAT!

bigcranky
12-31-2012, 12:18
Having the willingness to ask the questions nobody else would ask doesn't make one a troll

This isn't a chatroom, you aren't using ICP, and your questions are not the problem.

kythruhiker
12-31-2012, 12:26
Didn't want to carry the weight. Used a wet-wipe or two at night. Face/hands first, then pits, then crotch. Has to be that order, I'm told.

That explains where I went wrong on my last hike...I guess it's all about the proper order :p

I don't do deo - never found the extra weight worth the hassle - proper pit maintenance at night and it was never an issue during the day. To add to Old Hiker's methodology - I throw my feet in the mix, and I do usually carry a small bottle of gold bond, as my feet do love it so.

kythruhiker
12-31-2012, 12:27

That explains where I went wrong on my last hike...I guess it's all about the proper order :p

I don't do deo - never found the extra weight worth the hassle - proper pit maintenance at night and it was never an issue during the day. To add to Old Hiker's methodology - I throw my feet in the mix, and I do usually carry a small bottle of gold bond, as my feet do love it so.

RCBear
12-31-2012, 12:30
Used a wet-wipe or two at night. Face/hands first, then pits, then crotch. Has to be that order, I'm told.

Now that right there.... That's funny!

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 12:36

Yep, face/hands last would indicate some sort of disorder.

Grampie
12-31-2012, 12:52
I am not a TROLL

Sounds like you have trolled on other sites too.

Train Wreck
12-31-2012, 13:00
OK now I suppose some of ya are shaking your heads but I am dead serious here

Trail stink is part of life but there is no reason to smell like a landfill

my arm pits flow like Niagara falls even on a mild day

I used travel sized Degree but was deeply disappointed

Next time is there some kinda TRAIL STRENGTH antiperspirant I mean some heavy duty stuff that keeps ya dry all day

Try a good application of Troll-B-Gon under each armpit.

max patch
12-31-2012, 13:01

Thats my first out loud laff of the day.

kayak karl
12-31-2012, 13:03

you will need 3 or 4 strategically placed.

Drybones
12-31-2012, 13:40
Only odor issue I had (as far as my nose was concerned) was my cap, wore wool tee shirts. The cap was nasty though, and so close to the nose.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 13:49

I am NOT a troll

Was just wondering if some company or hiking supplier made super strength deodorant for heavy endurance

Just because I don't prefer to smell like a festering pile of filth does not make me a troll

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 13:54
Why in the world would anyone want to carry an extra useless piece of equipment? Have you tried poly urethane

Kerosene
12-31-2012, 14:02
Tip: If you do go the WetWipe route, consider letting them airdry and then rehydrating with a few drops of water when you're ready to use. Also, you might look for the larger 8"x8" squares, one of which might be better for a face/hands/pits/crotch cleanup.

kayak karl
12-31-2012, 14:04
over use of deoderants cause health problems. trying to use enoght to not sweat on trail would have to. i wouldn't even take the risk.

so why? who are you trying to impress??

hikerboy57
12-31-2012, 14:07
[QUOTE=Wannabe Thru-Hiker;1381773]I am NOT a troll

Was just wondering if some company or hiking supplier made super strength deodorant for heavy endurance

Just because I don't prefer to smell like a festering pile of filth does not make me a troll[/QUOT

Festering piece of filth is our natural state

daddytwosticks
12-31-2012, 17:08
Nothing works. Besides, my pits don't stink and neither does my sheat. It's everybody else who stinks. :)

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 19:06
I am not a TROLL

Generally when someone makes a post proclaiming they are not a troll they usually are. Now I am not implying that you are a troll don't get me wrong but some of your posts are way out there other than that I just assume your a young fella who is in some serious need of guidance.

Papa D
12-31-2012, 19:21
Another great idea by our new (and resident Mensa member) of whiteblaze - - wannabe - - add deodorant to the useless things he suggests carrying along with hatchets

Papa D
12-31-2012, 19:25
Generally when someone makes a post proclaiming they are not a troll they usually are. Now I am not implying that you are a troll don't get me wrong but some of your posts are way out there other than that I just assume your a young fella who is in some serious need of guidance.

The thing that I think makes him a troll is that he's just TOO RIDICULOUS - one post about carrying a hatchet or burning trash, maybe but wannabe joined WB YESTERDAY and has already exceeded all boundaries - - if he's not a troll, he is a person who feels some real angst against thru-hikers or backpackers for some reason (maybe some backpackers gave him a lecture somewhere) so he found this site and decided to pss us all off in wholesale fashion - - that's all I can figure - - it's just too over the top to be the real pressing thoughts of a new member to the forum

Rasty
12-31-2012, 19:32
Try this! It's the only thing that may work. Read the directions first.

The Cleaner
12-31-2012, 20:03
In a word: no. +1....ten characters

Old Hiker
12-31-2012, 20:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud-eiDxeJj4

Does this count?

Papa D
12-31-2012, 20:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud-eiDxeJj4

Does this count?

this was a powerful and rather sad movie

Northern Lights
12-31-2012, 21:17
The thing that I think makes him a troll is that he's just TOO RIDICULOUS - one post about carrying a hatchet or burning trash, maybe but wannabe joined WB YESTERDAY and has already exceeded all boundaries - - if he's not a troll, he is a person who feels some real angst against thru-hikers or backpackers for some reason (maybe some backpackers gave him a lecture somewhere) so he found this site and decided to pss us all off in wholesale fashion - - that's all I can figure - - it's just too over the top to be the real pressing thoughts of a new member to the forum

I don't know if this poster is a troll, heck I have yet to figure out why some folks are called trolls. And Papa D I didn't quote your post for any particular reason , so please do not take offence. But I do wonder if so many think he is a troll, how come you keep feeding him?

I love these threads they are quite entertaining. :D

ETA: My opinion is these troublesome threads are due to too much testosterone, not trolls :P

Papa D
12-31-2012, 21:26
I don't know if this poster is a troll, heck I have yet to figure out why some folks are called trolls. And Papa D I didn't quote your post for any particular reason , so please do not take offence. But I do wonder if so many think he is a troll, how come you keep feeding him?

I love these threads they are quite entertaining. :D

ETA: My opinion is these troublesome threads are due to too much testosterone, not trolls :P

I suppose we're like ants - - when someone steps on our ant hill, we come out in droves. More of us should just hang out in the cafe (or just read or write, truthfully). I don't watch TV and this is sort of my chill out after the day entertainment. I do like good back and forth discourse on good topics but sometimes our topics here get tired ("what do you think of this water filter?" etc.) so, I guess some controversy is better than boring - - probably the same reason people watch "reality TV. - good question.

Deadeye
12-31-2012, 22:43
Having said a few things here myself that peed folks off, I won't chime in on the Troll debate!

If you really want to gum up the plumbing in your pits: Mitchum.

The Cleaner
12-31-2012, 23:02
I am NOT a troll

Just because I don't prefer to smell like a festering pile of filth does not make me a troll Try cold weather hiking.You can actually wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt(use merino wool) while hiking.You will still work up a good sweat going up steep slopes but nothing like warm weather hiking.Then while at camp you will wear some kind of jacket and no one will smell you.If you take it easy you can hike for many days until the funk starts....

Dogwood
01-01-2013, 00:25
Geez it would be nice to join a chatroom for once without being called a troll - Wannabe Tru-Hiker

LOL, so you've been called that before? Can't understand why. Who Me. Yes you. Couldn't be. Than who? Wannabe Thru-HIker. Wannabe Thru-HIker took the candy from the candy dish. Who? Him? Yes. Him. We can do this for hours or get a real life. LOL A hiking deodorant thread? That's fing great. Let's discuss hiking deodorant now. That's an all time great. I got a laugh out of that thread starter. It's all good WBTH. Now, how does that feel since I gave you a little attention and you've seen one of your user names in the spotlight? Feel better now?

Old Hiker
01-01-2013, 09:03
"Trail Strength Anti-Persperant "Deodorant" "
Should that have been "Troll Strength"?

Train Wreck
01-01-2013, 12:35
"Trail Strength Anti-Persperant "Deodorant" "

Should that have been "Troll Strength"?

LOL!
whatever it's called, must have worked. He (or one of his "friends") will probably be making the rounds next Sunday if the pattern continues. ;)

herman2feathers
01-01-2013, 17:38
LOL!
whatever it's called, must have worked. He (or one of his "friends") will probably be making the rounds next Sunday if the pattern continues. ;)

I hope much sooner. He seemed like an enchanting young lad thought somewhat disturbed but I have to admit reading his posts gave me a chuckle or two.

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 18:08
Im sorry folks...And I may be stepping out on a limb and prob a few toes, but here goes. I can find no reason that a person could not /or would not be able to wash his or her "Stank" off each day, or at least every other day. I sweat like crazy , and I can at least find a creek and splash a little water on myself. Ive seen guys so dirty they look like the have crawled out of a box springs along the side of the road. There is no reason why you cant at least TRY to wash yourself, other than lazyness. A small bar of soap wont weigh much more than that bag of pot you have stuck in your pocket...( If your a stinky pot smoker...hahaha)

Papa D
01-01-2013, 18:11
Im sorry folks...And I may be stepping out on a limb and prob a few toes, but here goes. I can find no reason that a person could not /or would not be able to wash his or her "Stank" off each day, or at least every other day. I sweat like crazy , and I can at least find a creek and splash a little water on myself. Ive seen guys so dirty they look like the have crawled out of a box springs along the side of the road. There is no reason why you cant at least TRY to wash yourself, other than lazyness. A small bar of soap wont weigh much more than that bag of pot you have stuck in your pocket...( If your a stinky pot smoker...hahaha)

yes- Tharwood - - this is what we mostly do. The OP is very likely a Troll - - he has been on WB two days and all he posts about is controversy - - his other threads have insulted people with brand-name trekking poles, suggested that we should burn our trash, carry hatchets, etc. there are two other suspect trolls out there too. Right now the game on WB seems (in part) to be figuring these jokers out.

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 18:16
LOL...10-4 Papa D

hobby
01-01-2013, 18:26
this http://www.certaindri.com/Pages/graphics/cd_v4/products/cd_rollon.jpgit is troll, i mean trail strength -- same ingredient and strength of prescription antiperspirant

Alligator
01-01-2013, 19:01
this http://www.certaindri.com/Pages/graphics/cd_v4/products/cd_rollon.jpgit is troll, i mean trail strength -- same ingredient and strength of prescription antiperspirantCorrect. Closed thread.

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 19:26
that wasnt very nice .. CLOSED..?????

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 19:29
it stinks......

Maddoxsjohnston
01-01-2013, 19:35
I have a feeling he'll be making another appearance even if the ban-hammer comes down

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 19:43
yep... id say you r correct sir...

Papa D
01-01-2013, 19:44
did this thread somehow slip out of the Alligator's mouth - thought he closed it???

John B
01-01-2013, 19:45
I hate to stink and go to some effort to maintain cleanliness. I carry a 1 oz. bottle of hand sanitizer refilled with Dr. Bronners and a small section of a nylon Japanese scrub pad. I put both to good use after a day of hiking. I also carry a travel-size deoderant -- Sure, Mitchum, or Degree all seem to work well. It weighs a couple of ounces. It definitely helps keep the stink at bay. The couple of extra ounces don't bother me in the least.

coach lou
01-01-2013, 19:48
I bring a plastic bottle of powder. I mix desenex and gold bond, I use it everywhere.

Old Hiker
01-01-2013, 20:04
I have a feeling he'll be making another appearance even if the ban-hammer comes down

"BAN-hammer" on a deodorant thread. *Snicker, snicker, snicker*

Train Wreck
01-01-2013, 20:26
"BAN-hammer" on a deodorant thread. *Snicker, snicker, snicker*

It's no SECRET that it had reached a ridiculous DEGREE of silliness

Alligator
01-01-2013, 20:30
that wasnt very nice .. CLOSED..?????

did this thread somehow slip out of the Alligator's mouth - thought he closed it???

It's no SECRET that it had reached a ridiculous DEGREE of sillinessOoops, missed the proceed button. Yes, closed.