PDA

View Full Version : Trail Disasters And Mishaps Share Your Misfortune Here

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 11:55
We've all had bad days on the trail so let's hear those gritty tales of BAD LUCK

My worst I think was near Tenastee Gap I hadda take a dump so I found this fallen tree trunk that looked good to squat and drop a duece

What I didn't realize was that the inside was rotted and it caved in

Cleaning up was a real PITA used all my water and wet wipes cleaning up and my favorite sweat pants were caked in do-doo which Iad to abandon and just wear my shorts till Unicoi Gap and I was picking woodchips and bark outta my butt for a couple days

Maddoxsjohnston
12-31-2012, 12:49
Ew. One time I mistakingly wiped with poison oak on an elementary school camping trip...

trapper
12-31-2012, 13:19
not being in mountain shape when i started my LT thru....my fault but that first 3 days was ROUGH

max patch
12-31-2012, 13:34
62 posts in the first day. Wait til he discovers the Cafe.

Watch out LW, your days as top dog are numbered.

Rasty
12-31-2012, 13:44
62 posts in the first day. Wait til he discovers the Cafe.

Watch out LW, your days as top dog are numbered.

He wouldn't be able to keep up at the cafe! Besides it reads better backwards while intoxicated. Each page take a shot.

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 15:13
Ew. One time I mistakingly wiped with poison oak on an elementary school camping trip...
Don't feel bad I once mistook purel packet for preparation h packet and you can guess where it goes from there.

RCBear
12-31-2012, 16:31
This one time on the AT trail... Or maybe it was Bandcamp, but that's not important right now, I ran into a trekking pole and "yippie" hating, trash burnin' poop covered wanna be section hiker...

Wait, maybe it was just a bad dream after all. :P

gizzy bear
12-31-2012, 16:39
RCBear... That's ***** movies are made from ... YIKES!!!

GoldenBear
12-31-2012, 16:59
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?583-Based-on-my-choices-from-a-week-ago-I-nominate-myself-for-quot-Bonehead-of-the-Year-quot

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 17:03
This one time on the AT trail... Or maybe it was Bandcamp, but that's not important right now, I ran into a trekking pole and "yippie" hating, trash burnin' poop covered wanna be section hiker...

What was that all about sounds like a real character. DID he seem threatening or have those crazy eyes? I wouldn't worry much the guy was probably harmless if I feel uncomfortable about somebody I just move on not worth provoking a confrontation.

RCBear
12-31-2012, 19:23

What was that all about sounds like a real character. DID he seem threatening or have those crazy eyes? I wouldn't worry much the guy was probably harmless if I feel uncomfortable about somebody I just move on not worth provoking a confrontation.

:) just trying to round out my perception of the OP from a number of his cross thread posts. Course, I'm no FBI profiler. :P

atmilkman
12-31-2012, 19:34
Don't feel bad I once mistook purel packet for preparation h packet and you can guess where it goes from there.
One time I mistook Equate foot cream for Senadyne toothpaste and that was real tasty.

herman2feathers
01-01-2013, 09:55
One time I mistook Equate foot cream for Senadyne toothpaste and that was real tasty.
Imagine if that had turned out opposite your toes would've had a fresh minty smell.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2013, 10:27
Back in '87 me and my backpacking buddy Johnny B went to the National Rainbow Gathering in NC and afterwards took a backpacking trip to Pisgah NF near the Mountains to Sea trail and Harpers Creek. We invited a couple to join us in our camp later and gave them directions. A few days later they show and set up camp. It turns out they are both covered in painful Staph infection sores. Open sores.

Johnny and I do a dayhike and return to camp to find one of them soaking their open sore feet in our cooking pot YIKES.

herman2feathers
01-01-2013, 12:54
not being in mountain shape when i started my LT thru....my fault but that first 3 days was ROUGHI've been there myself and starting out my pack weight was 47 which eventuall shrank to 34 as I figured out what I really didn't need.

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 14:12
Only the usual stuff: mistaking Dr Bronner's for honey, trashing a knee in a misstep on wet talus, urinating on a nest of stinging insects, having a porcupine make off with my skivvies. The sort of thing that happens to everyone if you stick with hiking long enough.

After Tipi Walter's story, I'll nominate him for chief of staph in this thread.

Dr. Professor
01-01-2013, 14:58
I guess its time to make fun of my uncle (who is an experienced hiker, a one-time logger, and should have known better).

We were in a rhododendron forest in a storm as night was setting in. We had put off finding a place to camp a little longer than we probably should have. Finally, just as the last light faded, we arrived at a shelter. There were only a couple of nice trees to work with. My uncle let me pick where to hang my hammock first, so I took the good trees. He then started to tie off to one of my trees (which could easily take it) and to a big dead tree. I tried to warn him but he insisted that since the dead tree was more than ten inches diameter it'd be fine.

Around 2:00 in the morning, we heard a loud crack and my uncle sank a few inches. After reassuring ourselves that his tree was leaning away from us, we tried to go back to sleep.

Around 2:30, we heard a bear sniffing around. He was near some berries about fifty feet away, and wasn't after us. We started banging on pots and yelling at it and eventually it left.

Around 3:00 in the morning, my uncle felt something under him -- his shoe it turned out. His hammock was now only about six inches off the ground.

At around 3:30, his tree fell.

Somehow, my uncle managed to rehang his hammock in a downpour using extra line and a tree that seemed impossibly far away.

I still feel sorry for the two people camping in the shelter that night. Oh well, live and learn.

Country Roads
01-01-2013, 20:16
On the first day of a 6 day AT section hike, I let myself get dehydrated and did not eat enough. This led to a major face plant right on a rock with a 30 pound pack driving me hard in the rock (lots of water in the pack, but not enough in my body). Ended up with a heck of a bump on my forehead and 2 black eyes. Had to finish my hike looking like I had been on the loosing end of a barroom brawl. On that same hike, got to see a naked hiker. All he said as he went by was "hot today". Not sure which mishap was more traumatic :)

Alligator
01-01-2013, 20:36
Troll thread. Closed.