PDA

View Full Version : Backpackers Gear List BETA

tnvarmint
12-31-2012, 22:03
I got tired of trying to find a decent spreadsheet that met my needs so I have started creating one on my own. I would like for some of you to take a look at it and let me know what you think. Once it is complete I plan on making it available to everyone. I am also lightly considering looking into creating an iPhone and maybe Android app after the spreadsheet is complete. Would there be a great interest in this?

Again please download it and let me know what you think. Remember it is no where near complete so keep that in mind when giving you input. You can post here or email me at the email included in the speadsheet.

http://tnvarmint.com/BackpackingGearList.xlsx

fiveonomo
12-31-2012, 23:09
Looks nice! I would use it, definitely. The app thing sounds cool to.

mtntopper
01-01-2013, 09:57
I got tired of trying to find a decent spreadsheet that met my needs so I have started creating one on my own. I would like for some of you to take a look at it and let me know what you think. Once it is complete I plan on making it available to everyone. I am also lightly considering looking into creating an iPhone and maybe Android app after the spreadsheet is complete. Would there be a great interest in this?

Again please download it and let me know what you think. Remember it is no where near complete so keep that in mind when giving you input. You can post here or email me at the email included in the speadsheet.

http://tnvarmint.com/BackpackingGearList.xlsx

portions of the list seem to be locked

RodentWhisperer
01-01-2013, 13:00
It looks very similar to Erik the Black's spreadsheet:
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/2755/backpacking-gear-planner-2/

Hosaphone
01-01-2013, 13:53
Excel works just fine for me.

leaftye
01-01-2013, 14:28
Are you going to add code to it? It'd be pretty convenient if you could put an X or something next to each piece of gear to make it show up in the primary list. It would allow trying different gear list permutations very quickly. I think I had a spreadsheet that did something like that before, so I might have an example that you could use.

Odd Man Out
01-01-2013, 17:04
The problem I see is that you are limited to entering only the items on the list. I suppose you could add item, but then what is the advantage of the spreadsheet. A lot of the gear I want is not listed (Enlightened Equipment Quilts, Elemental Horizons Pack, my DIY pot stand, my Columbia fleece of unknown age, weight, cost, . Also, the amount of time needed to maintain this list would be huge. Every season, companies come out with new models. Specs change (if the listed ones are even correct), options change, prices change, etc...

leaftye
01-01-2013, 17:14
The problem I see is that you are limited to entering only the items on the list. I suppose you could add item, but then what is the advantage of the spreadsheet. A lot of the gear I want is not listed (Enlightened Equipment Quilts, Elemental Horizons Pack, my DIY pot stand, my Columbia fleece of unknown age, weight, cost, . Also, the amount of time needed to maintain this list would be huge. Every season, companies come out with new models. Specs change (if the listed ones are even correct), options change, prices change, etc...

A spreadsheet could be edited by the individual, but the problem is that most folks aren't savvy enough to do their edits without making a mess of the spreadsheet. It could get much messier if code was involved. Forms could help with some of that, although I think an Access database would be a better platform for that. The problem there is even fewer people have Access than have Excel 2007+.

tnvarmint
01-01-2013, 17:34
Thanks for all the replies so far.

portions of the list seem to be locked
All parts of the spreadsheet that are not in gold are locked until I get further along. Once I get it to more of a finished state then I will open it up further if not all the way.

I found quite a few different gear list spreadsheets available that only allowed you to input your current gear. I wanted one that had basically every piece of gear listed and able to be selected through drop down lists. This spreadsheet allows me to put together a current loadout along with optional ones. I can even create a "wish list" loadout to see how it stacks up weight and cost wise. And trust me I am well aware of the time needed to maintain it. I already have about 50 hours of inputting items and am probably not even half way there. So far I have been going through every manufacturers website and getting the information straight from them. My plan is to get as much of the mainstream backpacking gear listed and then put the spreadsheet out there to the backpacking community. People can add additional gear as they see fit and I will do occasional updates every few months to account for new gear and such.

Are you going to add code to it? It'd be pretty convenient if you could put an X or something next to each piece of gear to make it show up in the primary list. It would allow trying different gear list permutations very quickly. I think I had a spreadsheet that did something like that before, so I might have an example that you could use.
I will be adding something similar to what you are asking for. I have a few ideas but just haven't decided which way I plan to go with it. I want the spreadsheet to be functional but not overly complicated. I am not a programmer by trade but have worked in the computer field for the last 20+ years. I know that not everyone out there is as knowledgeable as others so I want it to be robust but user friendly if that makes sense.

Again thanks for all of the input. It is greatly appreciated!

Grampsb
01-02-2013, 09:07
How about GearGrams