PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Bly section hike

hilltackler
12-31-2012, 22:18
A friend and I are hoping to section hike the entire state of GA some time in late may. We would like to end at Bly gap but are having difficulty figuring out how we will get back to civilization. We are coming from NY and will not have a car. Are there shuttles, road walk - don't see any great info in the guidebooks about getting off trail at Bly. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hoop
12-31-2012, 22:39
You'll be walking from Bly Gap.

Look on the WB homepage under the "Menu" for "AT Transportation", then click on "Shuttle Providers for the Appalachian Trail" for some rides.

Joyce and Sally live in that area and provide excellent service. You can check with outfitters such as Mountain Crossings or hostels for referrals, too.

Old Boots
01-01-2013, 03:04
Ron Haven provides shuttles in this area. Contact him in Franklin, NC.

generoll
01-01-2013, 08:43
Your best option is to either turn around at the stateline and hike back to Blue Ridge Gap or hike on into North Carolina for a pickup at Deep Gap. There is a trail from Bly Gap down to a locked gate where your shuttler can pick you up, but it's overgrown, poorly maintained, and quite steep in some areas. In warm weather it's also tick city as you will brush up against a lot of vegetation that grows along and across the trail. There are shuttlers all along the route from Amicalola to Hiawassee and shuttle service out of Franklin as well.

hilltackler
01-01-2013, 10:13
Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful.
Hike on....

bigcranky
01-01-2013, 14:13
You might as well keep hiking to Deep Gap, then either get picked up there, or hike down the Kimsey Creek trail to Standing Indian Campground. S.I. is more accessible year-round. Deep Gap is at the end of a long forest service road that is sometimes closed.

It'll be much easier to pick up your hike from Deep Gap should you want to hike the next section.

Airmed802
01-01-2013, 15:58
I was picked up at blue ridge gap last year. You may have to walk about a mile on the dirt rd to pavement if conditions are bad. Deep gap rd is a very long fs rd.

max patch
01-01-2013, 16:51
Deep Gap is at the end of a long forest service road that is sometimes closed.

Deep gap rd is a very long fs rd.

I'll just state that its 6 miles and very well maintained.

The road is usually scheduled to be closed 1/1 thru 3/15.