PDA

View Full Version : what watch !!!

Tramp
01-01-2013, 08:55
What watch do you wear ? Kinda looking for a day, date , anolog, kinda like my timex expodition only better. Tks.

Old Hiker
01-01-2013, 08:57
Cheap Casio. Bells and whistles (not to mention compassessessess, altimeters, etc.) didn't seem to work too well. I just wanted to know what time it was and what date.

RCBear
01-01-2013, 09:12
I wear a Casio Pathfinder. Really cool with a lot bells and whistles.... I find that I normally just tell time with it however :-)

.... Except for those times when I forget it's on and i reach into my back pocket for my phone to see what time it is :P

lukabrazi
01-01-2013, 09:28
It would be nice to have one with an altimeter. This could be correlated with your guide to keep track of mileage.

wcgornto
01-01-2013, 10:06
This one. I wear it for all activities and all occasions.

http://store.swatch.com/watch/irony/big/ygs716gx-cool-days.html

Sarcasm the elf
01-01-2013, 10:15
Cheap Casio. Bells and whistles (not to mention compassessessess, altimeters, etc.) didn't seem to work too well. I just wanted to know what time it was and what date.

Agreed. I only use mine to check the time and what day it is. Your watch is going to get beat up since it's on your wrist while you hike, so there's not much point to getting an expensive one, as long as it's waterproof and tells time it will work. Get one with a hard rubber watch band, those cloth/nylon ones soak up the hiker stench and smell terrible after a while.

10-K
01-01-2013, 10:17
I wore a Timex Ironman forever - I bought an ABC watch from Stick and it arrived yesterday so I'll be wearing that going forward.

DeerPath
01-01-2013, 10:55
What watch do you wear ? Kinda looking for a day, date , anolog, kinda like my timex expodition only better. Tks.

I wear a CASIO ProTrek for the Time & Compass. Lots of bells and whistles. However, I find the Temperature always reads warmer, I believe because it's reading body heat. http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Watches/PRO_TREK/PRW2500-1/ I bought it EBAY and paid $240.00.

Sarcasm the elf
01-01-2013, 11:01
I want a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model hiking watch with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time! :D (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

RCBear
01-01-2013, 11:10

I wear a CASIO ProTrek for the Time & Compass. Lots of bells and whistles. However, I find the Temperature always reads warmer, I believe because it's reading body heat. http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Watches/PRO_TREK/PRW2500-1/ I bought it EBAY and paid $240.00.

I do like the compass and altimeter on my Casio, but I found in order to get an accurate temperature reading I need to remove it from my wrist for a minute

Papa D
01-01-2013, 11:22
The Timex Expedition is an ok choice but it's heavy.

If you want to spend a few bucks (which is totally not required), you'll have fun with this one:

sites.garmin.com/fenix/#begin

DeerPath
01-01-2013, 12:19
I do like the compass and altimeter on my Casio, but I found in order to get an accurate temperature reading I need to remove it from my wrist for a minute

Thanks RCBear, I was thinking of carrying it on my pack harness.

leaftye
01-01-2013, 14:34
A watch without a wrist band. That's because I always find a way to accidentally rip them off. My watch now goes in my pocket. My watch is a Casio Twin Sensor. It's quite old, but still working well. I don't really use the extra gizmos, but it's something fun to tinker with when I'm bored.

daddytwosticks
01-01-2013, 16:52
+1 leaftye. Don't wear it on my wrist. I have an old Timex Indiglo Explorer carabienered to my pack strap. The carabiener is used to hang my food bag. Wrist watch bands get tangled up with my hiking pole straps. :)

Capt Nat
01-01-2013, 22:04
Another Casio Protrek here, I love the thing. Use it all the time. Stopwatch function to keep track of how long I been walking. Compass with map. Haven't needed the Altimeter here in Florida but the Baro function works great. Tide function till I sold my boat last month. It's waterproof, cures rashes, baldness, flat feet, and purifies water....

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2013, 22:05
Smart Phone.

cliffordbarnabus
01-01-2013, 23:56
use the sun and spend that money on ayce's

Astro
01-02-2013, 01:27
Casio Illuminator, less than $20 at Wal-Mart. Has all the features I need and not the end of the world is something happens to it. Actually the band is what always wears out first. Wear it all the time exept when swimming.

ChinMusic
01-02-2013, 01:44
I got a Suunto Core Black. It is an ABC watch.

Why? I like gadgets. It doesn't help me hike better.

bfayer
01-02-2013, 07:35
It would help if you gave us a price point, better than a Timex covers a lot of ground :)

My daily watch is a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto http://hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/khaki/field/

If you are looking for a quartz movement, Momentum has some great watches at reasonable prices http://www.momentumwatch.com

When I hike I just wear a cheap Casio.

RED-DOG
01-02-2013, 11:43
No watch a lot of times i wished i had on but no i don't wear a watch on any of my hikes.

colorado_rob
01-02-2013, 12:23
I climb a lot of mountains and hence like to carry and use an altimeter, for navigation if nothing else, so I've always been a fan of the Suunto Vector. Alas, my trusty ten yo Suunto finally died (my fault). Not want to spend the $179 to replace it, I decided to give the $60 Casio altimeter watch a try:

http://www.rei.com/product/805929/casio-sgw300-1av-multifunction-watch

I am very pleasantly surprised! The altimeter seems to be fairly accurate (given that barometric altimeters have their limitations), and the simple watch-alarm aspects are very nice indeed (large enough readout for my older eyes, loud enough and simple to use alarm). So, I'm sold on this Casio altimeter-watch and that will be my instrument of choice on this springs AT attempt.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2013, 13:50
I go with the $5 disposable watch, which typically spends the hike strapped to the back of my pack. My only critria is that is waterproof, which is not hard to find.

Oak88
01-02-2013, 17:38
I got a Suunto Core Black. It is an ABC watch.

Why? I like gadgets. It doesn't help me hike better.

ditto I have the same Suunto Core Black:)

FatHead64
01-02-2013, 23:00
I want a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model hiking watch with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time! :D (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

I believe you might like the tin man, also...