PDA

View Full Version : trekking poles useful on flat hikes?

saltysack
01-01-2013, 12:44
Trekking poles for flat hikes? I'm goinh to Cumberland island in a few weeks... Should I bring my poles???

RCBear
01-01-2013, 12:58
I never thought they would make a difference on the flats, but after the last couple of years I have found that they help my stride remain more consistent, even if I don't actually touch them to the ground. Sometimes I just hold them parallel to the ground and my arms generate a pendulum swing that helps my stride. Not sure why but it's rhythmic.

Kerosene
01-01-2013, 13:15
It's a toss up. As RCBear says, they may help you keep your pace. They can help you walk faster for short distances if you push yourself ahead. They're good for crossing uneven ground, like boulders or fallen trees or creeks. Plus, they keep my tent up. The only reason I don't like them is that my hands tend to sweat and they can get in the way on overgrown trails.

joshuasdad
01-01-2013, 14:00
I can turn an ankle on uphills, downhills, or flats. The poles, if I am using them, usually prevent injury. Even if a trail is flat, there are still indentations, roots, rocks, animal holes, etc. which can prematurely end your hike.

leaftye
01-01-2013, 14:17
I find them useful when I'm exhausted or hiking at night with a headlamp. As to the latter, a headlamp makes the ground look flat, so I trip more. I haven't tripped yet when carrying my light in my hand, probably because that actually makes the ground look as bumpy as it really is.

I missed having my trekking poles on a hike last year when a turkey tried picking a fight with me. I was walking on level pavement past a town.

I would only carry the lightest carbon fiber trekking poles unless I'm on snow, and then I'll happily carry burly aluminum trekking poles.

Karma13
01-01-2013, 14:20
I like using them even on flat areas, for all the reasons already mentioned. Plus, they keep my hands and arms in the workout. And I have something to wave if a stray dog approaches. If it's been wet, I can poke muddy areas to see how firm or deep they are. If an area is filled with leaves, I can poke to see if it's a shallow hollow or a deeper crack. I can use them to brush aside stray branches so I don't get brushed in the face.

saltysack
01-01-2013, 14:30
Great info.. Ill be taking them.

Camel2012
01-01-2013, 14:40
I agree with most that's been said, and I find I do about 1mph faster using my poles on flat ground. I also like the extra workout on my upper body, and when I'm really exhausted, they help keep me on my feet. My balance is terrible when I'm really tired.

Elder
01-01-2013, 16:05
Poles are helpful in the sand too. Just be sure to take apart and rinse the salt off aluminum poles.

4Bears
01-01-2013, 16:23
Wheather you are on fairly flat terain or in the hills, if you normally hike with pole you will most likely find you miss them when you leave them at home. One of the things poles do for you is take stress off your feet and knees, if you are planting them just before your heels are hitting the ground.

Odd Man Out
01-01-2013, 16:53
Another benefit. In hot weather, poles keep my hands from swelling up. It's the gripping action and the elevation of the hands, I assume.

bfayer
01-01-2013, 17:49
Another benefit. In hot weather, poles keep my hands from swelling up. It's the gripping action and the elevation of the hands, I assume.

I was just going to post this :)

If I don't have my poles I better have something to hang my hands on (thank you ULA), or my hands swell and throb pretty good in just a few hours.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

leaftye
01-01-2013, 18:04
I hadn't noticed the hand swelling because I use an umbrella when I'm not using trekking poles, but it makes sense.