PDA

View Full Version : Resupply between Siler Bald Shelter and Cold Spring Shelter

RETCW4
01-01-2013, 13:56
Does anyone know of any places to resupply between Siler Bald Shelter and Cold Spring Shelter? There used to be Rainbow Spring Campground, but it has been closed for years. I was planning on resupply at Neels Gap and didn't want to go into Franklin.

Thanks,

Tumbleweed

joshuasdad
01-01-2013, 14:14
"Wiggy" (NOBO '10), the owner of Aquone Hiker Hostel could likely help you. I stayed there in October for two nights -- $20/night in very nice shared cabin, included dinner and breakfast (I'm sure tips would be appreciated, but were not requested). Laundry service was available (I think it was $3). Shuttles to/from trail at Wayah Gap, Burningtown Gap, and Tellico Gap were $6 or so. There was a basket of hiker supplies available, mostly basics like dehydrated food. Maybe the selection would be better during thru-hiker season. According to the website, mail drops are accepted.

http://www.aquonelogcabinrentals.com/AT.html

I do not know about grocery runs, but consider staying a night at The Hike Inn (the original one) near Fontana Dam, they have a special rate which includes shuttles and room.

http://www.thehikeinn.com/

Airmed802
01-01-2013, 15:04
There is a small camp store at the standing Indian campground near rock gap if you don't want to go into Franklin. They are limited but should have supplies to get you to the NOC. There is a small country store a few miles from Burningtown gap, but your chances of hitching a ride would be slim unless you called a shuttle.

daddytwosticks
01-01-2013, 16:45
You cross a state maintained paved road north of Silers Bald and before you start the climb up to Wayah Bald. If you take (hitch) this road back towards Lake Natahala, there are a couple of general stores where you should get some resupplies from. It's pretty remote area. Hitches may be hard to come by if not the middle of summer. :)

RETCW4
01-01-2013, 16:53
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the camp store at Standing Indian campground might be my best bet. My plan was to buy 7 days at Neels Gap then get a couple days worth to hold me over to NOC.

Train Wreck
01-01-2013, 17:59
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the camp store at Standing Indian campground might be my best bet. My plan was to buy 7 days at Neels Gap then get a couple days worth to hold me over to NOC.

The last time I was there (campground store) it looked like a pretty limited selection overall.

Rattlesnake Jim
01-01-2013, 18:15

I stopped at the Standing Indian Campground cam store in June 2012, and I was very disappointed in the limited selection. If you wanted a couple of snacks, okay, but for any resupply, even for a few days, I would not recommend it. Plus it is several miles off of the trail, with few ride opportunity.

Train Wreck
01-01-2013, 18:25
You might be able to work out a food drop at Winding Stair Gap with Ron Haven - you can google his contact info. He does a lot of shuttles in that area.