PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thru Hike Gear List, How does it look?

Trev302
01-01-2013, 17:11
I'm starting my Thru hike on March 12. I'm sure I might've looked over a few smaller items but the important stuff is all there. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated! My knife is a bit larger and heavier than necessary, but it's been with me on many adventures so it stays regardless.

Backpack: Osprey Exos 46, 37 Ounces.
Trekking Poles: ExPed Alpine 125, 13 oz.

Base Layer:
2 Nike Pro-combat Compression shorts
1 Short sleeve Underarmour Shirt
1 Long-sleeve Underarmour Shirt
1 Patagonia Capilene 2 long underwear
2 pairs Smartwool toe socks

Mid layer:
Cabela's systems granite canyon polartec 200 fleece
Patagonia ultralight down jacket 8 oz.
The Northface Paramount Peak convertable pants, 17 oz.
Wool hat + gloves
Sunglasses

Rain Gear:
Frogg Toggs Pro Action Rain suit, 11.5 oz.
Pack Cover

Shoes: Merrel Trail Gloves

Cookset:
Homemade soda can stove + windscreen, 1 oz.
Snow Peak Titanium 700 mug + lid, 4.8 oz
Spoon, .4 oz
Water bottle with denature alcohol
Bic Lighter

Sleep System:
Thermarest NeoAir Trekker Pad, 19 oz.
Kelty Cosmis Down 20* Sleeping Bag, 40 oz.
Tarptent Contrail, 24.5 oz.

---
1 32 oz. Nalgene Bottle
1.8 Liter Platypus Big Zip Bladder w/ Hose
1 Gatorade Bottle
Aqua Mira Drops

Olympus Stylus Tough Digital Camera, 7.6 oz.
-Charger, Extra Battery, Extra Memory Card.
Petzyl Head lamp, 2.7 oz.

Kershaw Folding Knife 3.5"

First Aid + Hygeine:
Bandages
Gauze
Moleskin
Alcohol Wipes
Latex Gloves
Ibuprofen
Immodium
Antihistamine
Toothbrush + Paste
Dr. Brohners Soap
Baby wipes

Misc.
Needle + Thread
Crazy Glue
Ear Plugs
Water Proof Matches
5 Star Notebook w/ Pencil
2 Bandanas
MSR Camp towel
Thru Hiker's Companion
50 ft 3mm utility Cord, 3.7oz
Duct Tape on trekking poles

I haven't determine my complete pack weight because a few items are still in the mail but I will post it when I know. :)

Drybones
01-01-2013, 17:41
I'd take a pair of gloves... Newskin works much better than bandaids for blisters... Nalgen bottles and the bladder are heavy, I used a Smartwater bottle and carried a 2-liter Platypus for camp water.

Max L
01-01-2013, 19:16
How do you like the Osprey 46? I upgraded my real, real old pack this summer to the atmos 50 and I love it. With all my gear and 5 to 6 days of food it seems like i have just a little extra space left. Do you find that the 46 gives you enough volume?
Are you bringing a cell phone on the trail?

Papa D
01-01-2013, 19:36
this looks like a well thought out and very good start - - here are just a few tweaks that I might note but just a few:

Subtractions:
you will rarely hike in your long-underwear (maybe a little in March and maybe a day in the Smokies) mostly for camping and sleeping - with both long (convertable) pants and rain pants, I'd just drop to one pair of long johns
speaking of the convertable pants, you might just end up liking shorts and if you want something on your legs, wear the rain pants
have you used the NeoAir much? I think its too loud - it squeaks - (for me) you also have to deflate it every time.
I would skip the moleskin - it doesn't work that well for blisters on the trail - - there are better bandaging methods - - like Dr. Shoals blister pads - - most thru hikers just duct tape and go - - after 200 miles, you won't get blisters
I'd ditch the baby wipes - I see a bunch of them in Hiker Boxes - - seems to be a new thing - - Dr. Bronners is all you need.
I'd personally just take the one nalgene and the one gatorade bottle and skip the platy but that's a fine point
Don't carry the whole companion - - maybe just tear the book into 1/4 - take where you are and the next few hundred miles - mail or bounce new pages, leave old in hiker box

Additions:

I suggest about 1/4 roll of toilet paper per week - - you can wrap a few leaves inside a couple of squares to make it go longer, add bulk, and reduce paper in privies and cat-holes
I thru-hiked without a cell phone (cause we didn't have them) but most people take them (powered-off with a charger) - did you leave this off your list? It is "weight"
pack cover? I like pack covers personally but either do this or line your bag with a compactor bag
dry sacks for sleeping bag, food, and other suppies and other gear? I'm sure you're taking some but don't forget to calculate that into your weight.
Identification, and money

Hosaphone
01-01-2013, 20:21
Wool hat + gloves

I feel obligated to plug waterproof rain mitten shells. Have never understood why everyone doesn't use them. I have the MLD Event mitts, have heard good things about the Zpacks Cuben ones. Just something light and waterproof with no insulation.

They weigh ~1oz and IMO are 100% necessary if you plan to use trekking poles when it's cold and rainy. Keep your hands warm and dry when it's snowy and avoid getting your insulating gloves/mittens soaked. They will add a lot of warmth if you wear them over your gloves, which I guarantee you will appreciate in mid-march in the mountains...

Shoes: Merrel Trail Gloves

Have you done much hiking in these yet? Most of the ultra-super-crazy distance people (Skurka, etc) wear regular shoes for a reason.

Just something to think about. I know people have done the trail barefoot, and I personally know someone who thru'd with 5 fingers. It is certainly doable. I'm very into minimalist shoes and they make short hikes so much more enjoyable, but for a thruhike I'd probably stick with trail runners. But again that's just me. Your mileage may vary. Anyways there will be plenty of opportunities to switch them out if you find your feet getting too beat up.

you will rarely hike in your long-underwear (maybe a little in March and maybe a day in the Smokies) mostly for camping and sleeping - with both long (convertable) pants and rain pants, I'd just drop to one pair of long johns

He has a $100, 550 fill power, "20 degree" bag. The bag actually has pretty good reviews online and it is heavy which in this case is a good thing... maybe it is true to its rating. But I think I would lean towards keeping the long johns at least to start with - more to supplement the bag than to hike in. Plenty of chances to mail them back if it turns out he doesn't need them.

I'd personally just take the one nalgene and the one gatorade bottle and skip the platy but that's a fine point

What's your logic for 1x Nalgene and 1x disposable bottle?

Trev302
01-01-2013, 22:15
I like the exos 46 a lot, I have more than enough space for all my gear. I'm only taking 1 pair of the "Patagonia Capeilene 2" long underwear. I'll be camping in my back yard on the coldest day this winter to see how warm the Kelty Bag will keep me.

I won't be taking a cellphone. IMO it would take away from the experience regardless of it being on or off, but that's a whole different topic.

Also, the logic for taking 1 gatorade bottle and 1 nalgene, is I'll probably end up using the gatorade bottle as a pee bottle so i don't have to leave my tent on really cold nights.

I like the idea of the rain mitts, but for $50? Give me a break. It's probably 2 dollars worth of fabric, if that. My gloves are wool, so they should keep me warm despite being wet.

Papa D
01-01-2013, 22:22
I feel obligated to plug waterproof rain mitten shells. Have never understood why everyone doesn't use them. I have the MLD Event mitts, have heard good things about the Zpacks Cuben ones. Just something light and waterproof with no insulation.

They weigh ~1oz and IMO are 100% necessary if you plan to use trekking poles when it's cold and rainy. Keep your hands warm and dry when it's snowy and avoid getting your insulating gloves/mittens soaked. They will add a lot of warmth if you wear them over your gloves, which I guarantee you will appreciate in mid-march in the mountains...

Have you done much hiking in these yet? Most of the ultra-super-crazy distance people (Skurka, etc) wear regular shoes for a reason.

Just something to think about. I know people have done the trail barefoot, and I personally know someone who thru'd with 5 fingers. It is certainly doable. I'm very into minimalist shoes and they make short hikes so much more enjoyable, but for a thruhike I'd probably stick with trail runners. But again that's just me. Your mileage may vary. Anyways there will be plenty of opportunities to switch them out if you find your feet getting too beat up.

He has a $100, 550 fill power, "20 degree" bag. The bag actually has pretty good reviews online and it is heavy which in this case is a good thing... maybe it is true to its rating. But I think I would lean towards keeping the long johns at least to start with - more to supplement the bag than to hike in. Plenty of chances to mail them back if it turns out he doesn't need them.

What's your logic for 1x Nalgene and 1x disposable bottle?

I think that he has 2 pairs of long johns - - he should certainly have one pair; I just don't think that he needs two pairs

As for the 1x Nalgene and the 1x Gatorade - - this is my combination in cool weather (i.e. March and April) because occasionally, I like to fill the nalgene with hot water and put it down in my sleeping bag - - you can't do this with a disposable bottle. On the AT, in the summer, I go with 2 Gatorade bottles (these bottles are a lot lighter than Nalgenes)

Papa D
01-01-2013, 22:28
I like the exos 46 a lot, I have more than enough space for all my gear. I'm only taking 1 pair of the "Patagonia Capeilene 2" long underwear. I'll be camping in my back yard on the coldest day this winter to see how warm the Kelty Bag will keep me.

I won't be taking a cellphone. IMO it would take away from the experience regardless of it being on or off, but that's a whole different topic.

Also, the logic for taking 1 gatorade bottle and 1 nalgene, is I'll probably end up using the gatorade bottle as a pee bottle so i don't have to leave my tent on really cold nights.

I like the idea of the rain mitts, but for $50? Give me a break. It's probably 2 dollars worth of fabric, if that. My gloves are wool, so they should keep me warm despite being wet.

it makes me very happy that you aren't taking a cell phone in that it would take away from the experience. I always tell people this and they don't believe me. You really don't need one. Occasionally, they are helpful in making a hostel reservation or something but walking to a hostel and hoping the whole way that they have room for you, is indeed part of the fun that few get anymore - - good for you.

Have you experimented with the pee bottle thing. The only time I do this is in true winter (deep snow) conditions. Just pee right before bed - - that empty pee bottle will just take up room in your pack and you won't want it to double as a water bottle. If you are hiking with others, a lot of time, one person will gather all the bottles and make a trip to the water source to fill them - - hate to mistake the pee bottle,etc.

The problem with the rain shell mittens is that 90% of the time you're hiking, it's not raining and you'll just have to carry them - - rain gear is necessary to prevent hypothermia (or to wear while you do laundry) so you should always have it but instead of rain mittens, I would just suggest fleece gloves - - I actually usually just use the patagonia fleece glove liners - - they will keep your knuckles warm enough while hiking, stay warm enough when wet, and you can wring them out and stick them in your pocket - - I have several pairs. You could also get some running gloves - - something like this would be perfect:

$12
www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-AEVLG.html

Hosaphone
01-02-2013, 02:01

If you want something waterproof and breathable the fabric is probably worth a good bit more than $2, and I don't think I would be able to do as good a job if I tried to DIY.

They aren't breathable, but newspaper/bread/bagel bags are waterproof and windproof and can keep your hands warm in a pinch.

As for the 1x Nalgene and the 1x Gatorade - - this is my combination in cool weather (i.e. March and April) because occasionally, I like to fill the nalgene with hot water and put it down in my sleeping bag - - you can't do this with a disposable bottle. On the AT, in the summer, I go with 2 Gatorade bottles (these bottles are a lot lighter than Nalgenes)

Good idea.

that empty pee bottle will just take up room in your pack and you won't want it to double as a water bottle. If you are hiking with others, a lot of time, one person will gather all the bottles and make a trip to the water source to fill them - - hate to mistake the pee bottle,etc.

It's gross to say, but... urine is sterile...:rolleyes:

In theory it should be okay if you rinse it out first. But I'll still pass on doing that.

The problem with the rain shell mittens is that 90% of the time you're hiking, it's not raining and you'll just have to carry them - - rain gear is necessary to prevent hypothermia (or to wear while you do laundry) so you should always have it but instead of rain mittens, I would just suggest fleece gloves - - I actually usually just use the patagonia fleece glove liners - - they will keep your knuckles warm enough while hiking, stay warm enough when wet, and you can wring them out and stick them in your pocket - - I have several pairs.

For 1oz it's not a terrible burden to carry them, and they take up very little space. In a 30 degree rain, especially if there's wind, soggy thin fleece gloves by themselves seem barely better than nothing. Again, maybe I'm just a wimp, though. You can also always just pack away the poles and put hands in your pockets in these conditions.

Most people get by just fine without fancy rain mitts, so HYOH. Just do your best to get out there in the rain as much as possible this winter and come to your own conclusions.

Rock Lobster
01-06-2013, 23:38
The Nalgene is probably one thing I'd ditch. Carry a 32oz and a 16oz Gatorade bottle if that's your issue. They're lighter, infinitely replaceable, and if you lose it no biggie. The other is the fleece. You're probably good with the down sweater, and fleece is heavy. If you're hiking, you'll be too warm for it. If you're not, and it's too cold for the down jacket, get in your sleeping bag and go to bed!

Have you used the Contrail much? I bought that first but switched to the Moment and I'm MUCH happier with it. It's wider, more comfortable to get into, and easier to setup. I lost the Contrail two years ago when I moved and didn't even look for it, because I knew I'd never use it again. My buddy started a thru-hike with it this year and sent it home in Damascus in favor of a hammock. Just a thought if it's still packed up or on the way.

I also used to use the Frog Toggs - you might consider ditching the pants, or cutting them off at the knees. They get hot to hike in, and the only time I wore them was while doing laundry. Also, these aren't much as raingear. Half an hour, and you'll be soaked. Last summer for my second long hike I switched to a GoLite rain jacket and was much happier. Marmot or others make good ones too, and you'll probably be more satisfied even though it's a couple ounces more. Better a slightly heavier but useful item than one that will frustrate you.

Last tip - it's nice to have something to pass time in shelters. Beyond having free time every night, you never know when you'll get socked in by weather or hit with the runs or blisters and end up staying longer than you planned. A deck of cards, a book or Kindle, or a travel board game can really help pass the time.