PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Dense Freezer Bag Cooking Options

Kc Fiedler
01-01-2013, 18:02
What are some of the best 110 - 120+ Cal/oz freezer bag meal options out there? On that note, what is everyone's favorit calorie dense food or ingredient for the trail? Beginning to compile a list of foods for an UL nobo hike, hoping to carry 5,000 Cal per day at about 120 or better Cal/oz.

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 18:25
Hmm. I'm not that much of a gram weenie. I'd start with the staples - rice, beans, jerky, pouch tuna and chicken - add spices and veggies - add EVOO to boost the calories - grab a Snickers for dessert, and not worry too much about kcal/gram.

An ounce is about 28 g. Carbohydrates and proteins run about 5 kcal/g dry, fats about 9 kcal/g. Allow for fiber and the staples like rice, beans and pasta all run a little over 100 kcal/ounce dry. Add things like jerky or pouch chicken or pouch tuna, dehydrated veggies, spices, and then season with EVOO to taste, and you're right in the range you quote. The trick is to carry as little water as possible in your food, since you can resupply water almost anywhere. (But if you like to carry fresh fruit or vegetables, go right ahead and account part of their weight as reserve water.) Virtually any dehydrated food that hikers regularly eat is close to your goal range - and I'd say, don't stress out over being 100 kcal/oz rather than 120.

But I'm just a clueless weekender who likes real food on the trail.

JAK
01-01-2013, 18:46
5,000 Cal/day x 6 days = 30,000 Cal
30,000 Cal / 120 Cal/oz = 250 oz = 15.6 pounds

Basic Staples = 8.6 pounds

Oatmeal = 2 lb
Dried Currants = 1 lb or some other dried fruit like raisins or dates
Sunflower Seeds = 1 lb or some other nuts or seeds
Skim Milk Powder = 1 lb
Lentils = 1 lb
Split Peas = 1 lb
Dried Veg Mix = 1 lb
Dried Herb Mix = 0.5 lb (Parsley, Chives)
Spices = 0.1 lb

Extra Calories = 7 pounds
Honey = 1 lb
Chocolate = 1 lb
More Dried Fruit = 1 lb
More Nuts/seeds = 1 lb
Beef Jerky = 1 lb
Vegetable Oil = 1 lb
Ovaltine = 1 lb

Tea/Coffee

MuddyWaters
01-01-2013, 19:52
If you want 5000 cal/day you may want to target higher cal/oz

Peanut butter = 190 cal/oz
Pepperoni = 140 cal/oz
Olive oil = 240 cal/oz
Trail mix = 150-180 cal/oz
Choc. chip cookies = 150 cal/oz
Lil debbie oatmeal pies = 140 cal/oz
snickers
etc

A healthy shot of olive oil into rehydrated dinners will boost calories
Tortillas filled with peanut butter and trail mix make good high cal lunch
Pepperoni and cheese in tortillas, with olive oil, is also good.