PDA

View Full Version : Ula Catalyst or Circuit

Lucky Dog
01-01-2013, 18:12
I got money for Christmas for a new backpack, I definitely want one of these two packs. My sleeping bag is a WM alpinlite, tent is a Contrail and pad is Neoair so things are pretty light. I just don't want to buy the Circuit and wish I had bought a bigger pack, or buy the Catalyst and it be too big. I would like to here from some of the Ula owners of what you like and dislike about both. I have been using an Osprey Atmos 50 it has been a good pack but for winter hiking it can be a little stretched.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2013, 18:34
It depends on your other gear volume probably.
If you plan on putting raingear and tent in outside back pocket, the Circuit should work fine for you and carry a weeks+ food.
Catalyst is just a bit bigger.

If you bring thick heavy fleece and a large cook kit, and want to keep tent and raingear inside your pack, the catalyst would be better choice.

With my tent, raingear,etc outside, my Circuit has room EZ for about 10 days food for me. All depends on gear volume.

bigcranky
01-01-2013, 18:36
My Circuit works for year-round hiking in NC. It's a little tight in serious winter with a 5-F down bag and a Moment and all the winter clothing, but I can fit a weekend's worth of food in there pretty well. For three season hiking it's perfect, and for summer it's too big but I use it anyway. Carries 30+ pounds well.

I haven't used a Catalyst to make the comparison - I had an Ohm instead.

leaftye
01-01-2013, 19:02
Like was said above, it depends on the rest of your gear.

When I use a down quilt, inflatable air mattress, lightweight bivy, single wall dome tent and poncho, but no cook gear, my pack is way oversized. It was oversized for an early trip into the Sierras with a Bearikade Expedition, Zpacks Hexamid, lightweight bivy, down quilt, air mattress, sandals, a couple books, down jacket, no cook kit, and more without anything strapped to the exterior, and lots of room left over. I've carried a ridiculous amount of gear with a Catalyst. I wish I had a picture and weighed my pack those times. Mind you, it wasn't part of a normal hike.

Those two packs have a 9 ounce difference. Even if your gear is very compact, the bigger pack can allow you to pack more quickly, and the extra bulk shouldn't throw off your balance if your gear is light. A lot of the bulk can be taken up with the compression system. I don't know if the 400 inch^3 difference will change packing difficulty much, but if it did, I'd carry the extra 9 ounces. If you can't tell, breaking camp quickly is very important to me.

saltysack
01-01-2013, 19:11
+1 for circuit...plenty of room

Del Q
01-01-2013, 19:16
I have a Catalyst, great pack...........just purchased an Osprey Exos 58, took it out for the 1st time on Sunday............my issue is one of back and right hip pain. Last hike was really painful. Am thinking that I will benefit from a real frame and more overall support. Will work up to 35lbs in the next few weeks.

Similar weight range, awesome pack, a lot of nice features...........very well thought out.

I will know about 50+ miles on my March section hike.

bfayer
01-01-2013, 19:30
I have the Catalyst and it's a great pack. I am a Scout leader and hike with my kids, so I always pack extra stuff. If it was just my gear the Circuit would be perfect for a 3 season pack. The biggest load I have had to carry with it was 38 pounds and it carried fine, with less than 30, I barely know it's there.

Northern Lights
01-01-2013, 19:43
I have the catalyst and I fit all of my stuff in there fine, bag, tent, pad I even stuck my bear cannister in it. I like it much better than my two other packs and will use it more than the other two. Very comfortable.

Lucky Dog
01-01-2013, 20:02
I can see both packs have great advantages that's why I wanted to hear from you guys that have these packs. I guess I'm like alot of others that have tried lots of stoves but my go to stove is my Mini Tangia cook set. I do carry a down jacket and my rain gear is Marmot precip jacket and pants. When I started hiking in high school I didn't have gear good enough to even be out backpacking so after many cold sleepless night on the AT I decided good gear makes it more fun. I'm not a gadget man if I don't use it very much I just don't carry it. I will probably get one of the two some time next week as soon as I figure out which one would be best for me.

T-Rx
01-01-2013, 21:08
Another +1 for the catalyst. It rides comfortably and is a great pack. I typically carry about 30 lbs. but have loaded mine with as much as forty pounds and it still was comfortable and my gear fit well. I have found that the ability to carry a few more lbs. with the catalyst has been useful a couple of times. It all depends on how much gear you carry and I definitely don't fall into the ultralight category. You can't go wrong as both are great packs.

Lucky Dog
01-01-2013, 21:28
My wife has just started to go with me on a few short over night trips, so I carry some of her gear to make it more enjoyable for her. The Catalyst would probably be better for times when she goes along and not have to stretch the Circuit out so much. Thanks guys for your input, you have been a great help. Happy New Year hope to see you on the trail.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2013, 21:35
I got money for Christmas for a new backpack, I definitely want one of these two packs. My sleeping bag is a WM alpinlite, tent is a Contrail and pad is Neoair so things are pretty light. I just don't want to buy the Circuit and wish I had bought a bigger pack, or buy the Catalyst and it be too big. I would like to here from some of the Ula owners of what you like and dislike about both. I have been using an Osprey Atmos 50 it has been a good pack but for winter hiking it can be a little stretched.
i have the catalyst. i don't find it to be too big at all

Rasty
01-01-2013, 21:42
Only a 400 cu in capacity difference between them.

Alwaysfine
01-01-2013, 22:24
I'd go with Circuit. Have used mine for a few thousand miles now and have never been disappointed. It is a little tight in the beginning with cold weather gear but great for the rest of the trip after you pair down gear along the way. Just like at home where you adapt to your surroundings, you are more apt to carry more than you need if you have the space, no matter how miniscule.

Studlintsean
01-02-2013, 15:04
I recently picked up a Circuit and have plenty of room for my gear. I am certainly not UL but I do carry the correct gear. If your going to carry some equipment for your wife, id recommend the Catalyst personally.

skinewmexico
01-02-2013, 15:45
I sold my Exos 58 (ouch!!!) to buy a Catalyst. Found the Catalyst to be so giant, I bought a Circuit. Haven't used the Catalyst since I bought the Circuit. Maybe if I was to go buy some bigger, heavier gear, or if I needed to help carry someone elses, I'd pull the Catalyst back out.

Del Q
01-02-2013, 21:46
ULA is great gear............all personal choice

One thing for sure, I love having pockets on my hip belts!

Also, some extra space is never a bad thing, when you just need some more room it is nice vs. having to "cram" gear in.............ie right after a re-supply, etc.

The Catalyst should carry everything that you need, if it won't fit, too much stuff!

Hosaphone
01-02-2013, 21:51

Had to sell my other packs after I got a Circuit, because now I can't live without hip belt pockets and easily-reachable side pockets...

leaftye
01-02-2013, 22:08

I wish they were bigger. I sent them an email and never heard back. If another pack maker made a comparable pack, but with big hip belt pockets that could hold a full freezer bag, I'd likely switch right away.

Deadeye
01-02-2013, 22:28
I'm very happy with my Catalyst. If I were faced with your choice, I'd choose the larger pack. I prefer to keep things inside, and don't like to pack them real tight or compressed, so if in doubt, go big. Not much difference in weight or volume, and the Catalyst carries real nice. I also carry a bear can, and it fits sideways in the catalyst, the way I like it.

Lucky Dog
01-03-2013, 10:09
I'm the proud new owner of a Catalyst.

bfayer
01-03-2013, 10:22
I'm the proud new owner of a Catalyst.
Don't forget, to get the best fit you need to shape the stays to your back. This is best done with the help of another person.

Load up the pack, put it on, properly adjust all the straps and the belt, then have someone look to see where the top and bottom of the stays meet your back.

Take off the pack, remove the stays and have them hold the stays in the correct position on your back and see if they need to be bent to fit the contour of your back.

They may be fine, or they may need to be bent to fit better. They bend easy by hand.

Great pack, enjoy.

Zipper
01-04-2013, 03:23
Yay! I love my Catalyst. I like having the extra room for "luxury items" or packing out a submarine sandwich, and i adored it on my thru. Enjoy!