PDA

View Full Version : Survival Kit ??? Yes / No ????

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 19:42
have been told all my life" Carry some sort of " survival kit..everywhere you hike. My current kit contains. firesteel, bandaids X2, needles,floss,whistle, super glue, 50ft black tarred string,goodys powders X4, Tampon ( Hey... it makes a awesome wound dressing) Pre-paid Debit card $25.00. Alot of this comes from being a boy scout for years and from being a Paramedic for several years as well. I have read hundreds of articals on the trail and pack list. I was wondering how many acctually carry one an those who dont. the ones who do ... whats in yours . mine is a plactic soap holder from the Walmart. weighs...4.4oz filled... I only have the luxury of section hiking.. ( untill I turn 52 and have my 30yr in...hahaha)....:D

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 19:47
ziplock w/ 3 regular size bandaids, a half dozen 2x4 bandaids, moleskin,small tube of neosporin,single edge razor blade, couple of alcohol wipes, stormproof matches, cotton balls in small plastic baggies

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 19:50
sorry forgot about the 2 razor blades..... and 2 betadine wipes...

coach lou
01-01-2013, 19:51
ziplock w/ 3 regular size bandaids, a half dozen 2x4 bandaids, moleskin,small tube of neosporin,single edge razor blade, couple of alcohol wipes, stormproof matches, cotton balls in small plastic baggies

You forgot screens

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 19:52
You forgot screens
oh yeah screens. and zigzags

leaftye
01-01-2013, 19:52
Almost everything I carry is part of my survival kit. If something is missing, I may have a difficult time surviving.

Most of what you listed is part of a first aid kit. The whistle is the exception. If you cook, the firesteel is your fire starter.

As far as what is really needed, on the big trails, there's usually enough hikers around that will donate items from their own first aid kits. You may think you're hiking as an individual, but if you get hurt, fixing you up will very likely be a group affair. It's something to think about when you try to decide how much of a certain item you'll need.

coach lou
01-01-2013, 19:54
I took the snare wire out, and the waxed matches, and the signal mirror.

hikerboy57
01-01-2013, 19:54
i find the regular small size bandaids to be mostly useless, they sweat off too easily, so ive opted to carry the patch type bandaids instead

coach lou
01-01-2013, 19:56
I took the snare wire out, and the waxed matches, and the signal mirror.

Curved needle for doing a Rambo.

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 20:07
I also downsize what I carry that was multipul... Firesteel used for lighting stove etc. I have used and will use super glue gel for large Lacerations, and cloth band aids wrapped with duct tape from my poles. and yep you guessed it floss and needle for sewing things up .. pack, tent, clothes, skin... ( I can do a mean running matress stitch )..most of the items in my pack have multi uses. But, being on the AT you are NEVER too far from others (unfortun). The only thing i would like to have is a mirror.. Only for medicl reasons.. ( can look in my own eye, or see how bad that Lac. on my head really is)..

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 20:09
cant use screens or zigzags.. quit smoking last JAN. .. no Weed since 1990...id rather have a shot of Wild Turkey 101

Hosaphone
01-01-2013, 20:40
I have never understood why people keep bandaids in a "survival" kit. Those are for fixing ouchie boo boos, not keeping people alive. If saving lives is the goal, considering carrying a QuickClot pouch and maybe a CAT tourniquet (can be applied with one hand and weighs ~2oz).

I also find firesteels to be a bit mediocre. Think about the situations where you will "NEED" a fire - when you're cold, wet and hypothermic. That means it's probably cold, wet and windy outside, which means it would be tough to get a fire going with a firesteel even if you weren't shivering violently. A backup lighter and a couple firestarters seems like a better choice to me (WetFire cubes, Esbit, etc).

Papa D
01-01-2013, 20:43
Survival Kit (backpack)
latex gloves
roller gauze
ibuprophen
tums
lancet (super sharp surgical needle)
sharpie marker
super glue
duct tape (on poles or water bottle)
pocket knife, cord, cell phone, cash, and everything else on board including liquor and possibly safety materials ;)

if I'm guiding, I'll also have benedryl and epinephrine, and possibly steriods

Survival Kit (Car)
All of the above stuff in the backpack plus
Cable Style Snow Chains (to fit the 4-wheel drive Subaru) - in season
Paramedic Jump Bag (First Aid Kit) - nasopharyngeal airway (NPT), Lactated Ringer's, Pain Meds, the works
20M of 10mm climbing rope, carabiners and webbing - - can set up hauling system to tow things out of ditches, rivers, etc.
2 Big Flashlights
Flares
Spare White Gas
About 1 gallon of water
bag of tools
am/fm radio plus CB radio

Survival Kit (Home)
all of the above plus about 1 month of food and water carboys, a well stocked liquor cabinet
about 25 gallons of gasoline
2 cans of white gas and a whole basement full of backpacking equipment
a big tank of liquid propane and a few little tanks

no guns

Maddoxsjohnston
01-01-2013, 20:46
All I have in terms of survival/first aid is moleskin, ibuprofen, duct tape, and flint+steel. Call me unprepared, but I have never needed anything more. I've found that mental preparedness is the best survival kit, especially on the AT.

Hosaphone
01-01-2013, 20:48
no guns

I suppose you can use your hiking poles to fend off the zombies...

Rasty
01-01-2013, 20:52
i find the regular small size bandaids to be mostly useless, they sweat off too easily, so ive opted to carry the patch type bandaids instead

I like the foam bandaids best.

leaftye
01-01-2013, 20:58

That's what blue M&M's are for. Throw a pile on the ground to attract thru hikers for the zombies to feast on.

Papa D
01-01-2013, 21:10

i might be a zombie

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2013, 21:21
Well Tharwood, if you come back later on - my take is its just walking Section or thru - most folks here take very little stock in survival as bugging out or off the well marked trail puts you back into civilization. From scouting to the AT Hosaphone and MaddoxsJ. are on to something here. What is great to learn as a kid, you will learn so much more here.

And then there is Papa D, are practicing to be a Dr. Prepper too? funny about the similarities in life.

Mountain Mike
01-01-2013, 21:39
Papa D has a pretty great list. I haven't carried one for year per say. Think about how you can improvise what you normally carry. I used to be an EMT, then I took a Woffer Course(Wilderness First Responder) Much of the training focused on using what you normally had. Foam pads for splints, hiking poles to make a traction splint. I always have duct tape when hiking wrapped around a fuel or water bottle. Floss makes great heavy duty repair thread. ETC. Check out SOLO http://www.soloschools.com/# or Nols http://www.nols.edu/ .

Hosaphone
01-01-2013, 21:41
i might be a zombie

I had a dream like that once. It was actually pretty fun running around eating people's brains - don't knock it till you try it imo.

Tharwood
01-01-2013, 21:46
@hosa....I also carry 0000 steel wool and dryer lint In a film canister with silicone packet for dry fire starter.... Already carrying lighters.. And tampon works for clot bandana for preasure maybe with a windless.... Real tight for TQ.... And superglue for large lacerations...

coolness
01-01-2013, 22:05
Band-Aids, tweezers, needle, assortment of OTC's, lighter, small section of folded newspaper, small jackknife, tiny roll of duct tape (available at Dick's), storm matches, biodegradeable wipes (you know why!!) :) Small tube of antibiotic ointment.

I forgot the Bernheim...... :cool:

MuddyWaters
01-01-2013, 22:30
Your pack is your survival kit.

Drybones
01-01-2013, 22:52

I carry a small bottle of Newskin for blisters and small abrasions...it won't come off.

Drybones
01-01-2013, 22:58
Band-Aids, tweezers, needle, assortment of OTC's, lighter, small section of folded newspaper, small jackknife, tiny roll of duct tape (available at Dick's), storm matches, biodegradeable wipes (you know why!!) :) Small tube of antibiotic ointment.

I forgot the Bernheim...... :cool:

Bernheim is the smoothest I've tasted, one of my supervisors gave me a bottle when I left the company I was at...shows you how glad he was to get rid of me. Went into a Kentucky liquor store to get another bottle when that was gone but saw the price and had to leave empty handed.

daddytwosticks
01-02-2013, 08:17
your pack is your survival kit. winner!!! :)

Snowleopard
01-02-2013, 11:20
"Pre-paid Debit card $25.00" Carry some cash. In a power outage ATMs don't work and merchants that are open may not accept cards if they can't contact the credit card servers.

BigRing
01-02-2013, 19:31
I do not see one item on any of these lists.....Imodium.

hikerboy57
01-02-2013, 19:37
I do not see one item on any of these lists.....Imodium.

good one. i forgot i do bring a roll of tums, no immodium.some antacid is a good thing to have along