PDA

View Full Version : Buena Vista, Virgina Trail Angel

Midnight Express
01-01-2013, 20:50
To All, although it has taken me almost three months i wanted to tell you about my experince in Buena Vista, VA early October, 2012. I hiked in to Buena Vista late afternoon after a day of rain and cold weather. I hitched a ride into town. I resupplied at the Dollar Store. While at the Dollar Store I asked the young lady at the cash register where is a good place to eat. She directed me to the Italian resturant. I ate until I could not move and when I went to pay a customer had already paid my bill...in excess of $25! Needless to say I left a very good tip. From the resturant I went to the uncorked wine shop and spoke to Michael. He was extemely helpful. He provided me a warm welcome, hotel advice and a shuttle contact. When I did not hear back from the shuttle I called Michael and asked him if he could recommend anyone else and he said, not to worry there will be a shuttle at the hotel at 8:00 AM as I requested. Low and behold at 8:00 Michael pulled in to take me to the trail! Once at the trail head he would not take any money. It was a great stay! Thank you to all!

HikerMom58
01-01-2013, 21:09
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-K
01-01-2013, 21:14
Very nice story. I also had a good experience in Buena Vista - great stop on the trail.

Rain Man
01-01-2013, 21:41
Very nice story. I also had a good experience in Buena Vista - great stop on the trail.

DITTO. And thanks to the OP for sharing their experience. Nice to hear.

Rain Man

Dogwood
01-01-2013, 22:48
I had a blast in BV VA on my AT thru. I ate like a king, swapped stories, was invited to share in mutiple libations, and got in free at the Fiddler's Festival. Got a quick hitch into town and was taken back to the trail via a ride in one of BV's finest Police Crusers, IN THE FRONT SEAT WITH MY HANDS FREE IN FRONT OF ME. Even with my strange yankee/southern y'all/ Aloha mix of NJ, FL, and HI accents EVERYONE I met in Buena Vista was nothing but top shelf. Places to stealth, a few inexpensive hotel rooms, and a med-lg grocery store on the far end of town. HOT and in need of more shade when I was there on my AT thru during June or July. Folks there were really great! I had an equally positive memorable experience there. Search for my post I made about BV a coiple yrs back on WB

SevenPines
01-01-2013, 23:31
great to hear..! lots of good people in BV

SCRUB HIKER
01-02-2013, 04:48
Ditto to all the above who had a great time in Byoona Vista. It was definitely one of my favorite towns on the entire trail. The people who own the Uncorked wine shop and the restaurant next door were very friendly and gave me and a few other hikers a shuttle back to the trailhead free of charge the next morning. I think one of them is on WhiteBlaze, username hpato. He/she started a thread a while ago about how to make Buena Vista a more hiker-friendly town (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?63137-Making-our-town-more-hiker-friendly). They've started off pretty well, I'd say.

Jeff
01-02-2013, 10:45
This is why the Appalachian Trail is so special.

DeerPath
01-02-2013, 12:17
this is why the appalachian trail is so special.

ditto!!!!!