PDA

View Full Version : Which temperature?

Micha
01-02-2013, 11:52
Hello everyone and a happy new year!
I want to use a Enlightened Equipment Revelation X Quilt on my thru in 2015. My question is, which temperature I should go with. I will start around Apr 15 and will have some warm clothing with me (long underwear, hat, primaloft jacket). Will the 30 degrees bag be okay? I am a warm sleeper and do not freeze that fast.
Greetings from Europe,
Micha

Donde
01-02-2013, 14:11
Likely that would be ok, but weird stuff goes down at elevation. 20F -7C is a very safe all around rating. If it gets too warm you just go into quilt mode.

Odd Man Out
01-02-2013, 15:22
I was shopping for the same quilt and had much the same question (30 or 20 deg for all around 3 season use). I was wondering if maybe choosing their 30% overstuff option on a 30 deg quilt would be a good option. Would that give it about a 25 deg rating?

Kerosene
01-02-2013, 17:02
Heading NOBO and starting on 4/15, I'd go with the 20-degree bag, at least until you got to Pearisburg, and then again once you reach Hanover.

Hosaphone
01-02-2013, 18:08
My take on 20 vs 30 degrees is this:

A 30* quilt is the perfect "do it all" sleep system. In most situations, the 30F quilt will be better than a 20F quilt or bag. However... It's easier and cheaper to fix the problem of being "too warm" than it is to fix being "too cold".

Picture this situation: You get a 20* quilt, and are finding it to be too warm. There are plenty of cheap and light options that can handle weather that is too warm - swapping it out for a simple $5 fleece blanket can get the job done.

Now let's say you have the 30* quilt and are finding it not warm enough even wearing all your clothes. What do you do? You could get off trail for a few days and wait for warmer weather, use hand warmers for a bit of extra warmth, or carry a blanket or something to help supplement it. None of these solutions are going to make you very happy.

You don't save a ton of weight anyways between 30* and 20* in a quilt... My vote is for 20 degrees.

I currently have a 20* bag. Somewhere down the line, I would like to purchase a 30* quilt and have some overstuff added to the bag to make it more of a 10 or 15 degree bag.

I think if you can only have one nice bag/quilt, it's probably best to aim on the "too warm" side. Just IMO.