PDA

View Full Version : Exercises & training for Hiking

TheYoungOne
01-02-2013, 12:47
The Women's forum had a interesting conditioning thread going on, but rightfully so the guys were told to shoo, so I figured I start another general thread here for the rest of us.

Anyone want to share their pre-hike training for a thru hike, or an exercise routine to help with hiking.

I let myself go a bit during the holidays and my New Years Resolution is to get in better shape, and to do some major section hikes this year. I want to hike big miles and summit a few mountains like Mt Washington, without getting washed out or suffering a stupid injury because I was out of shape.

For now I'm just doing some basic stretching, working with light weights, and walking the treadmill.

Hosaphone
01-02-2013, 13:02
If you want to get better at hauling a pack up and down mountains... Haul a pack up and down mountains. Find a short 2-3 mile loop hike near your house that has as much elevation gain/loss as possible. Load up a pack with as much weight as you can handle (more than you would carry for backpacking), and go crank through it every day.

I feel like a big problem people run into is that they do non-hiking exercises and expect it to help more than it does. I remember reading the trail journal of a pretty accomplished runner. He was running 15 miles a day to prepare for a thru, but when he got on trail he fell apart because he wasn't prepared for the ups, downs, extra weight, etc, of a trail vs a road.

I think instead of walking a treadmill, I would load up a pack with a bunch of weight and walk/run up and down stairs. You could also do something like stepping up and down from a chair to help build up those leg muscles. At least for me, it's not the flat walking that does it - it's the ups and downs I need to prepare for.

JAK
01-02-2013, 13:41
I tend to favour lots of walking and other activities WITHOUT added weight, at least until you lose some body weight. But 2-3 miles of a hilly route with a loaded pack would be very good. I would still do alot of walking or some other activity you mighty enjoy WITHOUT weight so that you can do more of it, assuming you have the time. If you have the time you can usually burn more calories and build a better fitness base by doing more volume with less weight. Maybe think in terms of total weight on feet. As you lose more body weight, you can increase your pack weight. No sense training with more than you will be hiking with once you lose your weight.

JAK
01-02-2013, 13:45
I am 6'0.5" and currently 215#. I am doing newspapers in the morning which is enough weight. I just got new cross-country skis because the snow is great right now so I will do as much of that as I can because I love it. I want to get down to 170-175 eventually. Once there I could hike with a 40# pack if I wanted to, but I wouldn't want to unless perhaps hiking with my daughter. 200# total weight on feet is a really nice hiking weight more me.

ATMountainTime
01-02-2013, 14:11
While i haven't hiked the entire trail after training, but i have noticed a huge improvement when i do hike. Ive been doing 1 hr of Yoga/Pilates a week, jogging 3 miles a day, 1hr of Fit Camp a week, then on saturdays i do the gym rat thing and just start hitting machines, 45 mins treadmill, 45 mins bike, play some basket ball, and finish by swimming laps. Once the weather clears up a bit i am intending on hiking/backpacking on the trail or some place close starting at 3 miles, and getting up to 12-15.

All of this helps, and before people start making fun of Yoga, it's in the "expensive" area in my town, so the view is pretty terific!

perrymk
01-02-2013, 14:50
My opinion is that one should first be generally fit, then concentrate on speciality fit such as hiking or whatever sport one desires. But that's just my opinion.

I do what I enjoy.

I enjoy weightlifting and am fond of a 20 rep squat routine (google if you're not familiar). Lately I have modified my routine but it still has quite a conditioning effect rather than strictly strength or size. I've done more than a little reading on the topic of genetic potential for building muscle. Let's just say I have quite average muscle building potential and have pretty much reached a practical max, which quite honestly isn't that impressive to look at.

I also enjoy walking and hiking. I walk 2 miles per day with a light pack (basically my neighborhood) with some light hills. Not AT hills, Florida hills becaus this is what's readily available. I also go hiking pretty much every weekend for 2-3 hours with a heavier pack, probably a little heavier than what I like to take backpacking.

I wouldn't say every trail I've been on is a cakewalk, but my modest conditioning program makes most trails quite do-able.

TheYoungOne
01-02-2013, 15:19
If you want to get better at hauling a pack up and down mountains... Haul a pack up and down mountains. Find a short 2-3 mile loop hike near your house that has as much elevation gain/loss as possible. Load up a pack with as much weight as you can handle (more than you would carry for backpacking), and go crank through it every day.

I feel like a big problem people run into is that they do non-hiking exercises and expect it to help more than it does. I remember reading the trail journal of a pretty accomplished runner. He was running 15 miles a day to prepare for a thru, but when he got on trail he fell apart because he wasn't prepared for the ups, downs, extra weight, etc, of a trail vs a road.

I think instead of walking a treadmill, I would load up a pack with a bunch of weight and walk/run up and down stairs. You could also do something like stepping up and down from a chair to help build up those leg muscles. At least for me, it's not the flat walking that does it - it's the ups and downs I need to prepare for.

For the record, my treadmill inclines, so I basically walk uphill, at the highest incline which is approximately a 18% grade at around 3.5 MPH. While its not as demanding as hiking up a steep AT trail, its close and I feel less winded than I use to when I hike those steep areas.

In terms of just going from couch potato, to throwing on a 40lb pack and taking a short hike, I did that early on got a nice case of Plantar Fasciitis for my troubles. I was a hiking noob and I learn my lesson to avoid that since then. You gotta stretch, because hiking with a non limber body might lead to injuries. So ATMountainTime I think Yoga is a good thing, and view would be an added bonus. I'm also thinking strength training to improve your knees, ankles and back would also be helpful and prevent injuries.

evyck da fleet
01-02-2013, 15:40
In prep of my thru last year I went to a park on Saturdays and hiked up and around Kennesaw Mountain. I started off at five miles without a pack and worked up to twelve miles. The I added a backpack, reduced my mileage and either added five pounds or a couple miles each week until I got up to around 25-30 lbs of weight and twelve miles. 25 lbs was the base weight of my gear and my goal was to averaged 12 miles a day for the first week or two of my thru (which I accomplished).

During the week I'd run on a treadmill or ride a stationary bike after work for an hour. The last week or two before I hit the trail I'd walk an hour or two each night after work to get used to being on my feet everyday and to try and tough them to prevent blisters.

I hit the trail at 6'0' and 170-175 pounds. I have to say that hiking with a pack on whether over flat terrain or hills was the best training I did before my thru.

RCBear
01-02-2013, 16:22
Hiking with pack if you can goes without saying.... Outside of that however, weight training, running and lots of real stairs, stairs, more stairs.

People discount the benefits of resistive weight training all too often. There is no substitute for it and it will help you in any physical aspect.

yellowsirocco
01-02-2013, 16:36
Just stay as active as possible doing what makes you happy. Try to favor activities using your legs and feet. There is nothing you can do to emulate hiking all day except for hiking all day.

I like to ride my bike a lot, it makes me happy.

perrymk
01-02-2013, 16:53
I'll add to clarify, I enjoy weights and hiking. There are certainly other ways to get into condition that will work as well.

A few years ago I was planning a trip to Alaska which would include lots of day hikes. So I decided that to up my conditioning I would push a lawn mower. Pushing (not riding or self-propelled) a 100 pound or so lawn mower for half an hour per day for a month did wonders for my conditioning and the steep trails in Alaska were quite manageable to this Florida flatlander. My elderly neighbor appreciated having her lawn mowed too.

leaftye
01-02-2013, 17:11
My manly training for hiking includes...

Ankle exercises. Mostly balancing on one foot while doing other things around the house like washing the dishes, brushing my teeth, cooking. Occasionally I'll use a theraband attached to something to allow me to do resistance movements in various directions. I've found that this helps a lot.

Speed walking. I'll go to the local park and walk 6-10 miles at nearly 4 mph. This helps with my pace and really helps toughen the skin on my feet because of all the heat the faster pace generates.

Hiking local trails. This happens at a slower pace, and I'm not so concerned about pace or climbing on this hikes. It's more about giving my ankles and feet more exercise.

On both walks, I don't bother with carrying a pack and my training has carried over well.

I've started cycling again, but I haven't seen how that carries over to hiking yet. I suspect it'll help me maintain a faster pace on this higher parts of the PCT where I've noticed increased heart rate and sluggishness.

I do lift. I've noticed that it help on climbs, and most noticeably while going over larger check dams. I don't think weight lifting is going to be all that advantageous to hiking, but I don't do it for that. One thing I've noticed is that even when I did training hikes and trail work with extremely heavy loads (up to 125 pounds), my back never got sore. It seems strange to me when people talk about needing a strong back when hiking with a normal load, but that may be because my back is already so strong. Now when I say my back is strong, some folks might realize that includes my core. Some people do specific core work, but I don't see the need to do specific core exercises when I already lift. My core gets plenty of work by doing deep squats, deadlifts, weighted pull ups and bent over barbell rows. When doing trail work, I can definitely notice the benefits of weight lifting.

barf_jay
01-02-2013, 17:20
If you live in North Georgia go hike Coosa Backcountry trail, if you can hike that in one day with a full pack....you are ready for the AT!

Papa D
01-02-2013, 17:30
the very best "training" his hiking - - I find that running and trail running is next best. The problem with running is that most people go run 5 miles and say, "well, there's my training for the day" - - - that's not really good enough - - I recommend running 10 miles x 4 days a week and suggest that this is still only about 30% of the effort that you will put into an average thru-hike week but it's a decent start.

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2013, 20:27
If you have to condition yourself for a hike, then you probably live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. If that's the case then don't bother with cardio, because cardio is relatively easy to build up while hiking. However, what's not easy to build up is connective tissue, because once you injury connective tissue (unlike muscle) there's a good chance of it only getting worse as you hike.

That's why I recommend all-body weightlifting, build up you connective tissue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2paIdfSK4

Del Q
01-02-2013, 21:31
My experience?

Hike up and down steep hills with a pack, 5 pounds heavier than you will be carrying..............trust me, you will be glad that you did this once you get out on the trail. I have done this in prep for my last 3 section hikes, good decision.

and............

go sideways both ways as well, works your ankles, just like you will experience on the AT.

You can't really replicate that on fitness gear.

Treadmills, Ellipticals and Stair Steppers are great, have done them with and witout a fully loaded pack, there is nothing like walking on UN-EVEN ground.

That to me is the game-changer, the AT is not level

Get more used to a full pack on un-even ground.

kolokolo
01-02-2013, 22:30
The biggest concern that I have in preparing for section hikes is getting my feet into condition. The rest of my body is usually already in pretty good shape, but my feet used to get really torn up on my AT hikes. For legs and cardio, I run about 40 miles/week. For conditioning my feet, I stopped wearing socks during runs, and it has really made a difference for me. Even in winter (like now), as long as the streets aren't wet, I run with no socks and my feet don't feel cold. The other thing that I do is wear my hiking shoes (trail runners) a lot around the house, with and without socks. I think this toughens up the potential 'hotspots' on my feet over a long period of time, and minimizes blisters on actual hikes.

Deadeye
01-02-2013, 22:34
Sure, training by hiking is great training for a hike, but that assumes that you can get out and hike often. Not all of us live near trails & mountains, or have the time if we do live nearby. Hike all you can, but to enjoy all your hiking from the first day to the last, get in good overall shape. P90x or Insanity are great for conditioning, strength and cardio. Follow those programs and you'll kick the pants off the guys who train on treadmills.

leaftye
01-02-2013, 23:03
The biggest concern that I have in preparing for section hikes is getting my feet into condition.

That's what I try to emphasize the most, and also what takes a surprisingly long period of time to get right. I hate hiking with blistered feet. It's not so much that it's painful, but it's just enough to take the joy out of hiking. I'll do a lot to avoid that.

It takes 3-4 weeks for me to toughen up my feet if I don't screw up and get a blister in the process. If I take just two weeks off from hiking, like to focus heavily on weight lifting or cycling, my feet are soft again and I need another 3-4 good weeks to toughen them up.

Son Driven
01-03-2013, 01:06
My first day of training was on a treadmill. I found it boring, we have great parks & trails in Minneapolis. So I have taken to them. With the ice & snow the footing is very uneven, so my ankles are rocking and rolling allot I do not believe contraptions made by humans can simulate the real deal of being out in the cold & the wind.

Drakken
01-03-2013, 01:59
Lucky for me I live near a High School. I usually throw on my pack and head over to the track. It's not a very strenuous way to get in shape, but it's great if I have new gear that I need to try out or I just need to put some miles on my feet and legs. The football players give me some strange looks and I always get a chuckle imagining them hiking in their uniforms.
Another bonus is if something isn't going right I'm not out in the wilderness somewhere trying to deal with that issue.

SCRUB HIKER
01-03-2013, 03:00
For conditioning my feet, I stopped wearing socks during runs, and it has really made a difference for me. Even in winter (like now), as long as the streets aren't wet, I run with no socks and my feet don't feel cold. The other thing that I do is wear my hiking shoes (trail runners) a lot around the house, with and without socks. I think this toughens up the potential 'hotspots' on my feet over a long period of time, and minimizes blisters on actual hikes.

I like this idea. It reminds me of Earl Shaffer when his blisters started acting up: "Since the weather was too cold and footing too rocky to allow walking barefoot, the regular solution, the next best thing was to put sand in my boots and wear no socks until my feet toughened." I didn't see any blistered people doing this on the AT, not to say I never suggested it ...

daddytwosticks
01-03-2013, 08:17
Just stay in good shape (exercise moderatly, eat well, stay off the couch) and start out slow and work up the miles. Slow and steady. I'm just a 53 y.o. section hiker and this works for me. :)

Gambit
01-03-2013, 11:24
Hike more.

Malto
01-03-2013, 12:06
Here is my two cents.
1) I view training for a thru hike as a very similar activity as training for a marathon, from a conceptual standpoint. As such I believe the single most important activity you can do is weekly long day hikes which is equivalent to long runs in marathon training. How long is long? That depends on what your starting point is. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to hike 150% of your expected average mileage on similar terrain with comparable pack weight. This is an end goal, not a starting goal. Another way of looking at this is I believe you will be able average 2/3rds of your day hike max once you start.
2) I would NOT hike with an overloaded pack. Great way to get injured. Spend your time reduceing your pack weight vs training for it. Also I would work up to carrying the weight, not start with your full weight in training.
3) elevation gain is key. I believe this is actually more important than miles in training. An earlier post mentioned Kennesaw Mnt in ga. Going up and down that a few times, especially on the south side will be much more helpful than the full loop to the south end of the park that has little elevation gain.
4) for those that live in the flatlands..... Inclined treadmill routines will get you in shape. Ditch the pack and slowly increase both speed and incline. I was able to keep myself in shape over a period of several months and get right back into long day hikes. See http://Postholer.Com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=cf15291811332e811b5085b3f1782b 62&entry_id=19720
5) trail running is an excellent way to get into hiking shape. The increased speed will help offset lack of hills if you live in the flat lands.
6) get yourself in general shape. This is a prerequisite for all of the above. If you are overweight lose it. Can't walk a mile without stopping for a break, fix it. IMHO the best overall fitness method is an elliptical machine.

Many of the posts above suggest slapping on an overloaded pack and hitting the trail. For someone in suboptimal condition this will be a great way to get injured.

d3v
01-03-2013, 15:39
The problem with running is that most people go run 5 miles and say, "well, there's my training for the day" - - - that's not really good enough

Are you serious?!

Old Boots
01-03-2013, 17:16
Do all the walking you can, preferably carrying a weighted day pack. Any core strengthening you can do, such as sit-ups will make your hike easier. However, the first 2 weeks on the AT will get you in shape. The most important preparation is toughening your feet.

leaftye
01-03-2013, 17:30
Running is definitely good aerobic exercise. Building extra capacity is definitely helpful when climbing and at higher elevations. It does work out different things though. Like I notice that even when my ankles are shredding, I can still go running. In fact I've done this on backpacking trips when my ankles were toasted but I still had a lot of miles to do. Just because it doesn't provide all the exercise needed doesn't mean it's worthless. Hiking is the only exercise that would suffice and the sole exercise to prepare for hiking. Most of us don't have enough time, patience or determination to do 20 mile training hikes a few times a week to prepare for 20 miles hikes.

Ultimately, going backpacking will show what needs extra work on.

Ghostrider
02-18-2013, 15:40
Here is a link to my video training blog, I am currently training for a thru hike starting March 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBiy_0ZR6s

Hot Flash
02-18-2013, 16:47
I work in a high rise office building, and I find stair running to be great for getting in condition to backpack. I do both coffee breaks for 15min each every day, plus a half hour over my lunch break.