PDA

View Full Version : A new years day hike on the AT in NH

peakbagger
01-02-2013, 13:59
I attempted a hike up the AT to the top of Moosilaukee via the Glencliff Trail (the AT) New Years day.

I thought some folks might want to know what gear I was using near the summit.

Insulated Winter Boots
Liner Socks
Winter grade Darn Tough wool socks
OR Goretex Gaiters
Insulated goretex pants
Polypro Long Johns
Smart Wool top baselayer
Windblock Polar tech jacket
North Face goretex outer jacket
North Face 800 fill power winter jacket
nylon liner gloves
OR double thickness expedition grade fleece mittens with 2 heat packs each
OR gortex winter mitten shells
lightweight Balaclava
Fleece balaclava
Goggles
Hillsound Microspikes

I also had a 3500 cubic inch pack with some limited but addtional backup gear and a pair of MSR lightning showshoes strapped on.

There were easily 30 top 50 folks encountered along the route.

I got close but didnt make it to the summit due to very high winds, about 50% of the folks who tried may have made it to the summit. There was a windchill advisory in effect all day. Despite the winds I only got cold while taking a long break. The reason I turned around short of the summit was that my microspikes wouldnt hold well enough on hard ice when leaning into the wind. In the most exposed places I was leaning towards the wind at least 10 to 15 degrees.

There was a rescue the day before on Lafayette due to similar conditions. Its extremely rare I will use all this gear, but there is real no alternative to carrying it when conditions are severe unless the hiker is willing to head down, I usually would bail earlier in these conditions but given it was New Years day and I know the route I went for it. There really isnt any thing like ultralight winter hiking unless someone is very careful at pikcing their days.

The Solemates
01-02-2013, 15:17
photos?......

Old Hillwalker
01-02-2013, 16:32

peakbagger
01-03-2013, 08:33
Someone else did photos, at negative temps and high winds its tough to take them.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2013, 12:13
It probably looked a lot like this, although this was on Mt Adams. Couldn't feel my fingures for 10 minutes after taking a couple of these shots - need a camara which can be operated with mitten shells on...

18795 18797