PDA

View Full Version : AT General Questions

catkonosky
01-02-2013, 15:22
My boyfriend and I are not new to being in the outdoors. We love hiking and discovering new places. So, you can see why the AT is a dream trip for us. We are taking a semester off from college and trying to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for our March '13 thru-hike trip NOBO. A couple of questions do come to mind, however, and I'm hoping that some AT alumni can help me out with at least some of my questions!

How is crime on the trail? How safe are the shelters?
How convenient are the mail drops?
What are some items that you packed that you found were very helpful?
Bears, Spiders, Snakes, Oh my! How prevalent are they along the AT? Did you carry Bear Spray?
I'm a photographer. How did you keep your camera batteries charged???
NOBO hikers: How was the weather?

Women: What kind of boots did you choose that you found most comfortable and where?
What kind of water filtration system did you use and did you find it to be effective?
What kind of tent did you use/the weight?
How was it returning home? Was it hard to adjust again? My boyfriend is worried about not being able to find a job after our hike, but I think it may be beneficial for him to put that he completed the AT on his resume because he is looking into working for the National Park Service.

Also any general advice or experiences you would like to share with me I would absolutely love to hear it!! I have been reading trail journals, etc. non-stop and I am eager to hear anyone's own stories. Thank you and Happy Hiking!

hikerboy57
01-02-2013, 15:36
welcome to whiteblaze.
youre asking a lot of questions over a wide variety of subjects. my first suggestion is to check out the home page, on the left side you will see a number of excellent articles that may answer many of your questions. you can also use the search function to search the relavent threads for your answers. finally lets take those questions one at a time.
youve got a lot of experience here to help you, but we cant attack all those subjects all at once.
welcome

StylinLP38
01-02-2013, 16:31
Youtube video's are great to watch. Search Appalachian Trail and other works like Hike Thru. I learned for many that they never leave the trail. But live there forever! :)

ATMountainTime
01-02-2013, 16:58
My boyfriend and I are not new to being in the outdoors. We love hiking and discovering new places. So, you can see why the AT is a dream trip for us. We are taking a semester off from college and trying to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for our March '13 thru-hike trip NOBO. A couple of questions do come to mind, however, and I'm hoping that some AT alumni can help me out with at least some of my questions!

Bears, Spiders, Snakes, Oh my! How prevalent are they along the AT? Did you carry Bear Spray?

Women: What kind of boots did you choose that you found most comfortable and where?
What kind of water filtration system did you use and did you find it to be effective?
How was it returning home? Was it hard to adjust again? My boyfriend is worried about not being able to find a job after our hike, but I think it may be beneficial for him to put that he completed the AT on his resume because he is looking into working for the National Park Service.

Also any general advice or experiences you would like to share with me I would absolutely love to hear it!! I have been reading trail journals, etc. non-stop and I am eager to hear anyone's own stories. Thank you and Happy Hiking!

I had all of those same questions this time last year. Stick around, read posts, read books on the subject (not just Bill Brysons nook)

brian039
01-02-2013, 16:58
1) crime is rare, on the off-chance you meet someone sketchy, don't camp with them

2) I would avoid doing any mail drops unless you have a special diet, you will want to switch to warm-weather gear in Pearisburg, VA then get your cold-weather gear back before the White Mountains

3) an i-pod or book or something to keep you entertained when you get bored

4) I saw around 20 bears, the ones in Shennandoah NP and the ones in NJ aren't afraid of humans. Act casual and don't run from them, eventually they will lose interest. Saw several snakes, keep an eye out for them but they are not aggressive. I almost stepped on one because I was hiking before the sun came up and couldn't see it. Bugs and heat will probably be your worst enemy on the trail.

5) Personally, I used a camera that took 2 AA batteries but you'll be in a town every 1-5 days so you'll be able to keep it charged.

6) The weather was hot and dry nearly the whole way, I hiked in a dry year, most years will have lots of rain but every year is hot.

7) I'm not a woman but I hiked in trail runners most of the way, I also sprained my ankle 10-15 times. I probably should have worn some boots.

8) Aquamira, it's light, easy to use, and treats your water in 15-30 minutes. It would have been nice but not necessary to have a filter in New England to keep floating stuff out of my water, you have to get water from a few ponds there.

9) MSR Hubba, I don't know what it or anything else I carried weighed to be honest. It's not the lightest tent but it's easy and quick to set up, you can sit up in it, and it is free-standing which means you can set it up without stakes.

10) First day back home from the trail and I went to a college football game, you'll probably be fine.

Odd Man Out
01-02-2013, 17:03

Safety - If you want a place that is very very safe (safer than the trip to the trail), then hike the AT. If you have zero tolerance for crime risk, lock yourself in your house.

Mail Drops - Some people use them. Some people don't. They are not required but can be convenient. A common problem reported is that it is essentially impossible to plan in advance to have everything you need and want shipped to the right place at the right time. Being tied down to a plan fixed by pre-set mail drops is for many inconvenient. If you are really keen on mail drops, think about using them prudently. Don't assume they are even necessary.

What to pack - Don't bring anything that is "very helpful". Bring only that which is absolutely necessary.

Bear Spray - In Grizzly country, different answer. On the AT, very few people carry bear spray and even fewer (if any) ever use it. It is extraordinarily unlikely that bear spray will protect you from bears. It's main purpose is to protect you from your own fear.

Battery Charging - On the AT, solar is not a viable option. Carry extra batteries. Recharge in town every few days. Get a feel for how many pics you can take on a charge and pace yourself.

Weather - It will be cold or hot. It will rain a lot, except when it isn't. Expect any/every weather.

Boots - Male or female, most prefer non-waterproof light hikers or trail runners. Don't worry about specific shoe recommendations as everyone's feet are different.

Water - Some filter (Sawyer Squeeze), some use chemicals (Aqua Mira drops), some use UV (Steripen), some do nothing. In parenthesis I included the option in each category that seems to get the most discussion, but there are other options in each category. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Tent - A huge number of options. I would encourage you to check out the list of Cottage Companies. There you will find the lightest and most innovative designs that you won't find in a retail store (also applies to gear other than tents) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?81415-list-of-cottage-industry-manufacturers&p=1383591&viewfull=1#post1383591

Going Home - ?????????????

Papa D
01-02-2013, 17:16
my boyfriend and i are not new to being in the outdoors. We love hiking and discovering new places. So, you can see why the at is a dream trip for us. We are taking a semester off from college and trying to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for our march '13 thru-hike trip nobo. A couple of questions do come to mind, however, and i'm hoping that some at alumni can help me out with at least some of my questions!

how is crime on the trail? How safe are the shelters?
a.t. Is very safe - as nobos, you will be with a lot of others - always a good idea to be cautious but don't worry
how convenient are the mail drops?
you don't really need mail drops - most people just shop in towns for food - drop essentials only (like new companion pages, contact lenses, etc.)
what are some items that you packed that you found were very helpful?
there are hundreds of posts here about this - - the less you replicate the happier you are - keep things like first aid kits and random items (harmonicas) to a bare minimum
bears, spiders, snakes, oh my! How prevalent are they along the at? Did you carry bear spray?
animals abound - you will not need bear spray at all - - watch your step in general and you'll be fine - no worries
i'm a photographer. How did you keep your camera batteries charged???
you can usually power up devices in towns every 4-6 days if you need to - - my camera holds power for weeks
nobo hikers: How was the weather?

i was sobo but i hike the at a whole lot - - spring in unpredictable in the south - generally nice but very likely to be foggy, cold and wet early on
women: What kind of boots did you choose that you found most comfortable and where?
not a woman but hiking shoes are much more popular than boots with both genders
what kind of water filtration system did you use and did you find it to be effective?
water filters are the number one item (imo) that thru-hikers ditch - they clog and are heavy - use aqua-mira drops sparingly (or a few drops of bleach) - good to go
what kind of tent did you use/the weight?
i would suggest a solo tent for each hiker (in case someone needs to get) - - plenty around 2.5 pounds - msr hubba is popular (or carbon reflex 1)
how was it returning home? Was it hard to adjust again? My boyfriend is worried about not being able to find a job after our hike, but i think it may be beneficial for him to put that he completed the at on his resume because he is looking into working for the national park service.
trail withdrawal sucks - nobody gets it - it fades but never goes away - - lots of former thrus here

also any general advice or experiences you would like to share with me i would absolutely love to hear it!! I have been reading trail journals, etc. Non-stop and i am eager to hear anyone's own stories. Thank you and happy hiking!

MY RESPONSES ARE RIGHT UNDER EACH OF YOUR QUES ABOVE - THOUGHT THEY WERE IN BOLD - OH WELL, just hang out here and you'll see it all - - good advice, bad advice and a bunch of nonsense

ODD MAN OUT'S RESPONSE IS GOOD TOO.

Datto
01-02-2013, 19:55

The AT is pretty safe. Someone put up statistics a few years ago that showed the AT is actually safer than walking down the main street in small town America. I never found safety to be that big of a deal with the exception of dealing with weather safety issues. I found the people along the Trail (non-hikers and other hikers) to be immensely friendly.

Very convenient -- some places are right on the Trail. The AT is easily the most convenient trail to resupply of the three Triple Crown long-distance trails in America.

The most important thing you can take with you is your sense of humor. You'll keep that then send about 1/3 of everything else home because it weighs too much to carry up a hill.

Ha, bear spray. That's want you use to spice up your Liptons noodles. The bears are going to be afraid of you. After you get a few hundred miles of the AT under your belt you're going to be overt looking for the bears so you can get a snapshot of them. That's one of the special, most beautiful things about long-distance hiking -- you lose you back-home fears pretty quickly and worries drop away.

The key thing at times will be to keep your batteries operable in the cold. Keeping your camera from getting accidently damaged during an AT hike will likely be challenging, even if your camera is inside a case most of the time. It's the rigors and jostling you'll do with your backpack that may risk damage to your camera.

I started my AT thru-hike at Springer Mountain, GA on April 10th and completed my AT thru-hike in Maine on October 21st. Weather in the south was doable without much effort (since I started toward the later side of the herd of AT thru-hikers) and had a few cold nights in the south. Weather in Virginia was blasting hot and humid -- I laid down in a shelter from 11:30am to 4:30pm every day and tried to sleep because it was just too hot to hike during those times north of Waynesboro, VA (100*F temps in the humidity). Up north I crossed Mt. Washington in The Presidential mountain range in a sizable storm and got picked up into the air and tossed on my head a few times. In Maine, I finished in a blizzard and ended up hunkered down for 3-4 days in the snow waiting for the blizzard to finish before heading north again to complete my AT thru-hike.

Pretty much most AT thru-hikers where lightweight trail runners such as those from New Balance (like the 812 or higher series of New Balance trail runners).

I started with a filter and cancelled that idea pretty quickly -- the filter was just too heavy and was way too much trouble for my taste. Somewhere in Georgia or North Carolina I switched to Potable Aqua tablets and have hiked several thousand miles of trail in the US, the South Pacific and Europe using only Potable Aqua. I've not had any problems with stomach sickness while hiking.

You're likely going to want to get either a 2 lbs 2-person tent (look at Henry Shires tents) or else use a tarp. If you carry something heavier it's possible you'll just send the heavier tent home soon after starting your AT hike (heh, once you get a load of what it's like carrying your backpack up the Georgia mountains) and end up buying something lighter along the Trail (which will be way more expensive than having bought it at home over the Internet).

I took 30 days off after completing my AT thru-hike before setting the course for the next chapter in my life and that choice had made a world of difference for me.

I'm not sure most people had this experience but when I returned home after completing my AT thru-hike I found that when I went to a job interview the interviewers wanted to hear more about my AT thru-hike than I'd expected. I'd taken a position with a consulting company after my AT thru-hike and when I went to represent the company during an interview for the largest contract the company had ever pursued (competing against three other consulting companies) the interviewers (Fortune 500 company) asked me a load of questions about my AT thru-hike for all but five minutes of the interview. Toward the end of the interview, the interviewers said, "Maybe we should talk about this contract a little before you go". So we did and the contract was landed and I took a team of six other people to do the work everyday at that Fortune 500 company (which the team did a terrific job of handling by the way). That Fortune 500 company ended up hiring the consulting company where I worked for an additional even larger contract later on, much of that due to the superb work my team had done with the original contract.

I'm sure there will be others giving their opinions about the after-hike situation and you should closely consider their advice before deciding for yourself. The after-hike situation is just different from person to person.

These links here on Whiteblaze may be of interest to you:

Here's my list of AT Thru-Hiking Tips"

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Below are links to suggestions I've had for the Class of 2013:

Class of 2013 -- Top Ten Likely Benefits of Completing Your AT Thru-hike:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88908-Datto-s-List-OfTop-Ten-Likely-Benefits-From-Completing-Your-AT-Thru-hike&p=1351900&highlight=#post1351900

Class of 2013 -- Your Worries

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90526-Class-of-2013-Your-worries

Class of 2013 -- Why Not Just Stay Home?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90642-Class-of-2013-Why-Not-Just-Stay-Home

Class of 2013 -- Chart of Mileage For A Few AT Thru-Hikers:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90587-Class-of-2013-Chart-of-Mileage-For-A-Few-AT-Thru-hikers

Datto

DaveSail
01-02-2013, 22:05
Bears , Spiders and Snakes ? Just use common - sense and the information offered above . Far more dangerous and serious is Lyme Disease !!
For all practical purposes the tick might as well be invisible . AND , it does not always leave a red ring ! It mimics about 70 or 80 other
diseases ; " GOOGLE " " Lyme Disease Symptoms " for some idea . If you think you may have been bitten , get off the trail at the first chance ,
and hitchhike or take a cab to the nearest town with a hospital . Get tested ; ( takes awhile ). If you are infected , get some anti - biotic such
as Doxycycline . If taken within a week or so , it can be eliminated . If ignored , you can have it for life ; called : " Chronic Lyme " .

Back in March , 2010 , I was bitten and did not notice it . Now I have it for life . In my case , a 1 1/2" diameter hole formed over the outside ,
left ankle . VERY painful . Many doctors have tried to " fix " it , so far with no luck . [ Yet , I still have to pay them all : over half of my Social
Security each month !! ]

Here are a few of the " Early " symptoms ; DO NOT IGNORE them and " Tough It Out " or " Hike Through It " :

Flu - Like - Symptoms ; Tiredness or Lack Of Energy ; Stiff Neck , sometimes with a " clicking " ; Fever and Chills ; Muscle and Joint Pain ; Swollen Lymph Nodes .

David V. Webber aka Ice Cream

SCRUB HIKER
01-02-2013, 22:45
Check out Mags' Quick and Dirty AT Guide (http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail) for the basics, including a lot of links to specific resources.

In response to two of your questions: No one carries bear spray on the AT. The two scariest animals are ticks and other humans. Bears, snakes, spiders ... yeah, they're out there, but they're extremely unlikely to cause you problems. The most scared I ever got at night is when a hog was snuffling around in the vicinity of my campsite, and no one ever even talks about those.

Re: coming home and finding a job. I personally found everyone's fears about readjustment to be overblown. I had no problem getting back into civilized life. I realize this is not the way everyone works, but I've bounced around the country and the world since I was 18 so transitions don't faze me too much anymore. The only trail habit that stuck with me was my appetite, which was messed up and totally unpredictable for at least a month afterwards. Finding a job? Can definitely be hard, especially if your work experience/background isn't so strong to begin with. At least put the AT on your resume so that employers know that those six months were accounted for somehow. In my experience, even in an extremely outdoors-friendly town (Eugene, Oregon), thru-hiking doesn't impress as many people as you would hope (especially since, from an Oregonian standpoint, my hike was on the piddly AT, not the Most Important And Badass Trail In The World PCT). But the people who Get It are the people you probably want to be working for anyway.