PDA

View Full Version : Mummy sleeping bag liner for $15

Tree Nerd
01-02-2013, 19:42
So I was in the market for a sleeping bag liner to add some extra warmth in the winter and double as a bag for summer camping. I was looking at the sea to summit reactor plus. After looking at them and seeing a price tag of $60 I decided to make my own.....I got a 5' x 7' section of 100% polyester fabric from some fabric store for $15 and found some cord and two plastic tightener things. I was going to sew it up with a sewing machine but my sister-in-law was a fashion designer and did it for me....it turned out way better than anything I would of done haha. Anyway here are some pics.

moytoy
01-02-2013, 20:04
Good job. I usually put a long zipper in mine so I can partially cover if it's warm. I use fleece most of the time but yours looks a little lighter that fleece. What kind of polyester exactly is it?

Tree Nerd
01-02-2013, 20:51
Not sure. When I bought it, it just said 100% polyester. It doesn't pack up as small as a wanted but ya can't beat it for $15

dornstar
01-06-2013, 15:23
Whats the weight on it? Looks nice.

Tree Nerd
01-07-2013, 20:21
Im not sure. I dont have a scale to weigh it. I'll look into it.

konradchen
01-07-2013, 23:07
Nice job! It's great that you made it yourself, because those liners are pretty much rubbish. Even the $60 one that purportedly adds 15-20 degrees of warmth...realistically any liner will add 3-5 degrees tops

Leanthree
01-07-2013, 23:47
Nice job! It's great that you made it yourself, because those liners are pretty much rubbish. Even the $60 one that purportedly adds 15-20 degrees of warmth...realistically any liner will add 3-5 degrees tops

I got the sea to summit liner that adds 10-15 and it easily added 10 deg. I bought while I save for a high quality down cold weather bag to stretch the shoulder season. Ideally, I would have a bag for all temps but the liner stretches the usefulness of my down bags and can be used when nighttime temps are in the 60s.

I'd imagine a homemade liner of the same weight is a good alternative and 80% cheaper. That being said, the hollow fibers of the sea-to-summit liner have to be worth something.

Tree Nerd
01-08-2013, 12:25
I believe this liner will add more heat than the sea to summit reactor, not reactor plus. Mainly because its made to fit me and the material is a tiny bit thicker. I will find out if I ever get a break to go camping/backpack.....Unfortunately, I just picked up another job to help fund my thru hike. Between my last semester at school, president of the forestry club and my two jobs, I will no longer have a life.

simply_light
01-09-2013, 11:17
I went with the Coccon Silk Mummy Liner. That was before I started making my own gear, otherwise I would have made my own.

Very comfortable and lightweight (4 ounces). It is nice that you can add about 10 degrees to your current bag without having to get an entirely separate bag to fill that temp range.

Tree Nerd
01-14-2013, 09:33
Well last night while I was reading an AT book my dog decided to pee on my bed for no freakin reason. Anyway, this lead to me washing my sheets and needing something to sleep in. I was going to use my bag, then realized I still haven't used the liner......So our house was 62 degrees F this morning and I slept pretty well. I ended up having to put on a long sleeve shirt half way through the night. IDK what this equates to but I look forward to using it in my bag outside

Toli
01-14-2013, 09:58
So I was in the market for a sleeping bag liner to add some extra warmth in the winter and double as a bag for summer camping. I was looking at the sea to summit reactor plus. After looking at them and seeing a price tag of $60 I decided to make my own.....I got a 5' x 7' section of 100% polyester fabric from some fabric store for $15 and found some cord and two plastic tightener things. I was going to sew it up with a sewing machine but my sister-in-law was a fashion designer and did it for me....it turned out way better than anything I would of done haha. Anyway here are some pics.

Ur sister-in-law rocks!!! Mine is an ER Nurse and can stitch me up(and she has...) but she can't sew a lick... :D ... I have/use all 3(Cocoon silk liner and both Therma liners) and they DEFF work... For me... Can you say "Cottage Industry" Custom Bag Liners???

Tree Nerd
01-14-2013, 12:55
^^^ good stuff.....after my sister-in-law realized she wasn't going to be able to get a job with fashion she went back to school for nursing. She can do both types of stitching now and she is good!

TurboPants
01-16-2013, 12:52
Hey tree Nerd, I'm in the portage lakes area. Are you in the city of Green or the county? Just curious, cause it's rare to find people so close to home on here. I am also planning on a thru hike eventually.

You mentioned it was 62* in the house and you slept in the liner and got cold. I assume you were just in the line and no your bag, right? Cause if you were cold in your bag and liner at 62 I think you'd freeze to death on the trail lol.

Tree Nerd
01-16-2013, 16:11
Hey tree Nerd, I'm in the portage lakes area. Are you in the city of Green or the county? Just curious, cause it's rare to find people so close to home on here. I am also planning on a thru hike eventually.

You mentioned it was 62* in the house and you slept in the liner and got cold. I assume you were just in the line and no your bag, right? Cause if you were cold in your bag and liner at 62 I think you'd freeze to death on the trail lol.

Yeah, I live in the city of green....well my parents do. I am in my last semester at the University of Kentucky. Then ill be headed on my thru, and not sure where after that.

And yes, I was in just the liner. And the house may have been colder then that at the dead of night. The temp fluctuates in my apartment because were on the third floor and we have refused to turn on the heat because were broke.