PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch

Chevy
01-02-2013, 22:01
I have been looking at the tarptent for a while and have decided that it is time to get one. I am looking at the notch because it looks like it has a lot of room and is lightweight. I would like it for my thru hike of the AT. I want the partial solid interior for those colder nights. Just wondering if the partial option is only the sides and not the mesh or if it is both. I want the one with the partial solid and the mesh but the both option adds $110 while the partial solid only adds $15 and the mesh adds $0. I just want to make sure before ordering so I don't order the wrong one and have to return it.

Thanks in advance.

JHG008
01-02-2013, 22:17
If I could piggy back off of your question.

I am also interested in the notch with the mesh insert only. Will I need a ground sheet or is it weather proof enough without one?

Drybones
01-02-2013, 22:25
Call Henry Shires...Tarptent owner, he's a nice guy and will help you. I called Henry last year to get his advice on what he'd carry for a thru hike and he recommended the Notch, I had reservations at first but really liked it, perfect for me. You can get his number off the web site www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) .

JHG008
01-02-2013, 22:27
Thanks for the advice drybones!

Drybones
01-02-2013, 22:27
If I could piggy back off of your question.

I am also interested in the notch with the mesh insert only. Will I need a ground sheet or is it weather proof enough without one?

It would be weatherproof without a ground cloth but for me it's worth the few ounces to keep the mud off, I also use the ground clothe for sitting on/eating...keeps me from losing stuff in the leaves.

Chevy
01-02-2013, 22:31
Thanks. I will give him a call.

That is a good question that I forgot to ask. Do you use a ground sheet with your tarptent? Also do you have just the mesh insert? Is it good for four seasons?

4Bears
01-02-2013, 22:32
Welcome to White Blaze
I have been looking at the Notch as well, from the way I read the web site if you want both, a $110 option, you get 2 separate interiors one full mesh and one partial mesh. From reading previous threads you will get mixed answers on wheather you need a ground sheet or not. If you want an answer straight from the horses mouth I suggest sending an email to Tarptent, from my own experience they will return an answer very promptly.

Praha4
01-02-2013, 22:43
I owned a Moment and used it on several AT hikes in 2010, and really liked it. When Henry came out with the Notch, I sold my Moment and bought a Notch. I used the Notch on two AT section hikes last summer, and like it better than the Moment. It's a great lightweight shelter. I've been using a piece of Tyvek for a groundcloth, but you don't really need a groundcloth with a Tarptent.

That said, I plan on using a Gossamer Gear polycro groundcloth on my next AT hike with the Notch. I just like having some extra protection and moisture barrier under the floor.
http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

buldogge
01-02-2013, 23:32
I'm a TT Notch user as well...I use a simple piece of Tyvek I cut to the shape (slightly undersized) of the Notch inner's floor...worth the extra couple ounces, for the peace of mind...especially in rocky/rooty areas.

Having said that...nothing beats careful policing of your chosen site!

-Mark in St. Louis

Glogg
01-03-2013, 00:08
I used my Notch on my 2012 AT hike; I have the full mesh interior. I slept in a WM Ultralite 20 degree bag atop a neoair mattress. It served me well down to 20 degrees or so. Even though it was completely mesh, it still helped trap warm air around me; unzipping doors was rather chilly. I would stay with the mesh interior to have a minimally hot bug-free zone for summer use.

I had a piece of Tyvek I used more often on shelter floors under my sleeping pad, didn't need it under the Notch. I did occasionally use it to line the floor of one of my vestibules to keep gear cleaner in wet conditions.

Steven "Glogg" Kasow

ScottC
01-03-2013, 01:37
I agree with Kasow. I have the full mesh Notch and love it. It does hold heat well. Some middle ground for winter use that I've considered is a DIY piece of Sil or poly that I can attach to the inside only high enough to block wind/drafts.

I also use a piece of poly underneath the Notch as a groundcloth.

G-FOURce
01-03-2013, 07:31
Given that the second internal tent is an option, why not just get the tent as it is and try it to see what you think? If you decide you need it then its still an option. If you decide you dont then you just saved yourself $110!

Drybones
01-03-2013, 13:44
I did occasionally use it to line the floor of one of my vestibules to keep gear cleaner in wet conditions.

Steven "Glogg" Kasow

One of the things I like best about the Notch is the ability to hang your pack from one of the hiking poles under the vestibule to keep it off the ground. If I need someting from the pack I unzip the door and swing the pack inside, get what I need and swing it back out. All it takes is a piece of cord about 8" long with a loop on each end and a carabiner to attach on the packs tote handle.

Chevy
01-03-2013, 21:09
Just ordered my tarptent Notch. The both option came with a mesh insert AND the partial solid insert. I went with the partial solid interior for those colder windy nights. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to ship.

tjkenney67
01-03-2013, 21:22
Just ordered a Rainbow... Henry told me no need for a ground cloth. He has had very few repairs on his floors.

G-FOURce
01-03-2013, 22:12
Sent you a PM, OP....

JHG008
01-04-2013, 00:59
I ordered a notch today as well, with its the mesh insert. I can't wait to get mine and try it out! Looks like we gave Henry Shires some business today!

topshelf
01-20-2013, 15:53
Those of you who ordered a Notch recently, how do they look, what are you initial impressions not that you've gotten it?

Also, off topic, but I thought TT would seam seal the tent for you, is this no longer the case?

Franco
01-20-2013, 16:34
Seam sealing is usually available on request for $25 . You need to get the link to the service by asking for it via E Mail .
([email protected])