PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's Cabin Shelter Maintenance trip

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 01:00
Went up to the shelter today via Round Knob ORV trail.It's only 1.75 miles up to the AT,then hang a left and it's 1 mile north to the shelter.I waited till the TN bear hunting season ended,because they have used the shelter off and on for many years as their base of operations during the short TN bear hunting season. Upon arrival I saw several pieces of plastic laying around and some partially eaten remains of a MRE.The reason for a day hike in was to take my chainsaw and saw some of several downed trees into firewood and saw a few into 6-7' pieces which can be used as benches around the outside fireplace.I also took a chain&lock to put the kibosh on the wandering picnic table.In Dec. 2011 I arrived to find the table several yards in front on and southbound on the trail.There were a few small glass bottles I wanted to pack out and found an almost full Snow Peak isobutane canister.After spending several days in below freezing temps it would not be usable till the spring thaw.There were several ziploc bags laying around and one was for the trail register.There were several pens plus 2 of 10-K's shuttle service cards but no register.While cleaning the fireplace I found the spiral wire for the register,so I assume some idiot used it as fire starting material.:mad: I had expected to find more trash so I packed out everything I could find.I brought some dry kindling and found enough dry wood to start a fire,as the temp stayed at 28* while I was there and it was nice to eat lunch and warm up while cutting wood.There was still some snow around I think that recent rains&above freezing temps had reduced most of a larger snowpack. The wood I sawed is laying around in several places and it is for anyone to use if you want a fire.I did see 4 wheeler tracks,several days old probably a bear hunter.Judging by the general look of things I don't think that too many hikers have stayed there lately.I was there last on 12-2-12 and a SOBO thru said he didn't think that there were very many still on the trail.It was very foggy all day and very little wind also.It was very quiet and nice till I fired up the saw but apparently no one around to hear it.I didn't get home till after 5pm and now have a muddy truck to clean and a saw to clean&sharpen.Any way I had a nice time,I'm always glad to help out any and all who pass through this area.I do think it has become more traveled between Hot Springs to Erwin lately due to services and safe parking at both ends.Have a great hike everyone,I took a few pics to share with all here on WB:sun187891879018791187921879318794

Train Wreck
01-03-2013, 01:41
Nice snow pictures.
Is the light switch and telephone still there?
We hiked there in the mid-1990's and thought that was a hoot :)

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 02:14
Nice snow pictures.
Is the light switch and telephone still there?
We hiked there in the mid-1990's and thought that was a hoot :) The light switch & phone been gone since about the time of your last hike through there....

Train Wreck
01-03-2013, 02:17
The light switch & phone been gone since about the time of your last hike through there....

Too bad.
I'll have to dig out those old photos and scan them in. I also remember pigging out on blueberries near a place called Bearwallow Gap, I seem to recall that was the same trip.

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 04:55
Too bad.
I'll have to dig out those old photos and scan them in. I also remember pigging out on blueberries near a place called Bearwallow Gap, I seem to recall that was the same trip.

Nice pics- The Cleaner. :) Thanks for all you do. The bear hunters rolling around on their ATV's skeered me a lil bit when I was hiking near Jerry's Cabin. Especially when they came through at 5 AM....

TW... Bearwallow Gap is near mee!! And yes, you did pig out on blueberries near Bearwallow. The hillside, on the trail, is covered with them. :D Man, you were so close to meee but I didn't know you then. :(

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 14:09
1+ on the nice pictures, and a hearty round of thanks for all you do up there. It's nice to see the inside of the shelter! When I packed through there summer before last during a very rainy and cold last week of May, the tarp over the front was still in place, and a couple in the shelter made it quite clear I wasn't welcome to join them! Not much of a problem, I was feeling antisocial, anyway, and tented a little down the trail.

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 14:24
1+ on the nice pictures, and a hearty round of thanks for all you do up there. It's nice to see the inside of the shelter! When I packed through there summer before last during a very rainy and cold last week of May, the tarp over the front was still in place, and a couple in the shelter made it quite clear I wasn't welcome to join them! Not much of a problem, I was feeling antisocial, anyway, and tented a little down the trail. I really do not like to see people acting like they paid rent and own the place.They probably left the shelter trashed:mad:....

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 14:27
1+ on the nice pictures, and a hearty round of thanks for all you do up there. It's nice to see the inside of the shelter! When I packed through there summer before last during a very rainy and cold last week of May, the tarp over the front was still in place, and a couple in the shelter made it quite clear I wasn't welcome to join them! Not much of a problem, I was feeling antisocial, anyway, and tented a little down the trail. Future Thru hikers please be advised "VERY RAINY AND COLD LAST WEEK OF MAY" :eek:........

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 14:31
They were pretty obnoxious, so I wouldn't doubt it. OTOH, a fella named Steve (didn't catch the last name) and his son more than made up for them. I'd just found out my cell had died as I was getting a text message out to my wife, and didn't know if she'd gotten it. Worried the heck out of me, because she was still down in Florida. Steve and son came putting up on their 4-wheeler. First thought was "you're not supposed to have that up here!" followed closely by "Boy I'm glad to see you guys!" Steve tried to charge my phone (chargers weren't compatible), tried to call and then text (no signal), and in frustration, gave me a sausage and cheese pack "to make up for not being able to help". He then went back down the mountain, called my wife to let her know I was OK, met me again the next morning down the trail to tell me that and to tell me he'd arranged for someone at Devil's Fork Gap to charge my phone for me.

Steve and son were looking for lost hunting dog puppies, and those folks were pretty darned rude to them, as well. They did ask for cigarettes and whisky. :rolleyes: Found out later they found the puppies.

Praha4
01-03-2013, 15:33
Fond memories of that shelter. I recall stopping for lunch at that shelter on a very cold, rainy, windy day in late April, 2010 on my nobo AT section hike. Met a gang of nobo AT thru hikers there from CT that day. A big thanks is owed to you and all the AT trail workers who maintain the shelters and the trail, you deserve a big thanks.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 15:42
Thanks for all you do - if you ever need someone to roll with you on a clean-up mission, p/m me

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 15:49
Future Thru hikers please be advised "VERY RAINY AND COLD LAST WEEK OF MAY" :eek:........

Yes, take note! The night before, I'd about frozen. Got drenched to the skin while hiking, and the temp was dropping fast while setting up my tent at a campsite past Spring Mountain Shelter. I could see my breath before I got in out of the rain. Shivering uncontrollably in my 45* down bag wearing every last dry thing I had left, I thought I was in for a long night. Took almost 45 minutes to warm up again. After that, I was fine. But it was an uncomfortable, worrisome hour or so.

Biggest regret was that neither fire tower had a view; I couldn't even see the top of Camp Bald tower. I need to do that stretch again.

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 16:12
Thanks for all you do - if you ever need someone to roll with you on a clean-up mission, p/m me

I get out at least once a month.Sometimes hiking local trails on a loop trip and go by the shelter.I'll PM you later with details.Right now waiting on insulated hiking boots for next trip.Some hikers just don't know what "mountain cold" is till they get borderline hypothermia,jettison whatever they can and head for the nearest road & go home:eek:......

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 16:21
Hey, I didn't bail! But yeah, I was cussin' myself out good for getting to that stage; I know better!

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 16:26
They were pretty obnoxious, so I wouldn't doubt it. OTOH, a fella named Steve (didn't catch the last name) and his son more than made up for them. I'd just found out my cell had died as I was getting a text message out to my wife, and didn't know if she'd gotten it. Worried the heck out of me, because she was still down in Florida. Steve and son came putting up on their 4-wheeler. First thought was "you're not supposed to have that up here!" followed closely by "Boy I'm glad to see you guys!" Steve tried to charge my phone (chargers weren't compatible), tried to call and then text (no signal), and in frustration, gave me a sausage and cheese pack "to make up for not being able to help". He then went back down the mountain, called my wife to let her know I was OK, met me again the next morning down the trail to tell me that and to tell me he'd arranged for someone at Devil's Fork Gap to charge my phone for me.

Steve and son were looking for lost hunting dog puppies, and those folks were pretty darned rude to them, as well. They did ask for cigarettes and whisky. :rolleyes: Found out later they found the puppies.

Ahh... so glad to read ur encounter with Steve and his son. I bet that's the same man I met, then. Did he have a very strong southern accent when he talked and did he say that he lived close by? He was the one, I think, that drove his ATV by the Flint Mtn. Shelter at 5 AM but I think he was on a mission of some sort.... maybe bear hunting. So glad he helped you out... sounds like a super nice person!

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 16:53
Sure bailed me out of a tough spot. My wife and I have a phone arrangement; I can miss one call for lack of a cell signal, but after two, she'c calling out the authorities! I hate to worry her that way.

Sounds like it might have been the same fella. Strong souther accent, rather long dark blond hair, perhaps 5'6" or so. And very generous to a hiker in need.

That trip was jinxed from the start. Dead battery in my truck, lost the soles from both boots just short of Groundhog Creek forced me to backtrack and swing around to Hot Springs to get a new pair, dead battery again! (Thanks, Curtis as Standing Bear, for jumping me) torrential rain and cold. Shee.....

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 17:46
Gezzzz.... sounds like it wasn't one of your better trips but that's the cool thing about the trail- right when u need help the most, it seems to "appear" out of no where. :)
I bet that was the same man. He was very nice to us. Told us that if we needed anything. he was just 1 mile away from the shelter. :)

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 20:42
I know, that does happen. The best thing is, occasionally the help turns out to be me. I like that, returning the favors.

Great fella, wasn't he? Do wish he wouldn't ride the four wheeler where he shouldn't be, though.

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 21:03
I know, that does happen. The best thing is, occasionally the help turns out to be me. I like that, returning the favors.

Great fella, wasn't he? Do wish he wouldn't ride the four wheeler where he shouldn't be, though. Some of these local country folks are nice people and do help hikers:cool:.....while some are useless POS and ride ORVs where ever they can or vandalize cars at trailheads:mad:....the problem is that they mostly look the same...If you hear banjo music,hike faster :eek:.....

wren again
01-03-2013, 21:09
We stayed at Jerry's Cabin on our first section hike. It was the first place that we shared with a group of boy scouts. We enjoyed our evening with them very much. They were so excited to be on the trail!

The Cleaner
01-04-2013, 09:15
Replying for Papa D.......

tridavis
01-04-2013, 18:20
Thanks Cleaner for all you do on the trail. Met you last May when we camped just past the fire tower after Little Laurel. There were 4 65+ year old women that were camping in the same spot that night. Really enjoyed chatting with you that night and the next day. Thanks for all of the info.

The Cleaner
01-04-2013, 20:26
Thanks Cleaner for all you do on the trail. Met you last May when we camped just past the fire tower after Little Laurel. There were 4 65+ year old women that were camping in the same spot that night. Really enjoyed chatting with you that night and the next day. Thanks for all of the info. I guess I've become the unofficial local ridge runner. As soon as I mention to hikers that I'm a trail volunteer many hikers ask where's the next water,good campsites ect.I enjoy meeting & talking to all hikers and sharing info.Beats the heck outta walking laps on any of several greenway trails around town.On several occasions I get to spend the night(camping) with some nice looking women:rolleyes:.Just one of the perks of being on the AT.Picking up litter and clearing small blowdowns isn't that hard to do.I just wish that more hikers ,who live near the trail,would do the same.IMO more hikers are on the trail lately but some refuse to clean up their campsites or shelters when they leave.The firepits are their trash cans and shelter walls are turning into places for personal artwork:eek:.I'd like to know what happened to "Take only pictures,Leave only footprints".....

WILLIAM HAYES
01-04-2013, 20:42
thanks for what you do It was always awesome to come to a shelter on a cold evening and find firewood
hillbilly

The Cleaner
01-04-2013, 21:57
thanks for what you do It was always awesome to come to a shelter on a cold evening and find firewood
hillbilly It's even better to get to a shelter and find me with a fire already going:cool:.Would you like hot water for some tea? :sun

Papa D
01-04-2013, 22:31
Replying for Papa D.......

ha ha ha ha ha

Papa D
01-04-2013, 22:41
Hey - - I talked to Stretch a little while ago - we're scheming to work Jerry Cabin into our little adventure - the fire looks nice

The Cleaner
01-05-2013, 00:21
Hey - - I talked to Stretch a little while ago - we're scheming to work Jerry Cabin into our little adventure - the fire looks nice Looks like pretty good weather next week,maybe rain 1 day.As you know the weather is subject to rapid change this time of year.Any way today's long range forecast is not to bad with rain on wed + high winds.I'd like to wait on my new boots but it isn't supposed to be too cold so I could go in my old boots.I'll know more details on Monday,I'll call you when I know for sure exact time I'll be going up.