PDA

View Full Version : hikers rescued from...a 40 foot rock?

ChuckBrown
01-03-2013, 09:35
WRENTHAM (CBS) – Crews rescued two hikers who got stuck on a 40-foot high rock in Wrentham on Wednesday.Firefighters and police responded to Joe’s Rock off West Street at about 5p.m. The two 27-year-old men got into trouble about an hour into their hike.The men, who were from Attleboro and Wrentham, were removed from the rock face by a team of rescuers from several Norfolk County towns. Sharon Firefighter Ted Lambert rappelled from 100-feet up to get the pair to waiting ladders below.

The first of the two victims was barely able to still hold on,” says Avon Fire Chief Robert Spurr. “He was in a minimal spot, he had a hard time.”That man was taken to the hospital to be treated for hypothermia. The other, who called 911, was treated by paramedics at the scene.“The second victim was very, very cold,” says Leo Reardon of the Canton Fire Department. “He was tired, he was actually clinging to the rock at that time and definitely getting pretty exhausted.”The rescuers say the two men were unprepared for the conditions.Joe’s Rock is about a mile from the Rhode Island border in Wrentham

gizzy bear
01-03-2013, 10:13
that would scare the hell out of me!! what a scary story...glad they are ok...the ONE thing i never want to do, is be unprepared!!!

G-FOURce
01-03-2013, 22:38
At the risk of seeming monumentally insensitive, what ever happened to natural selection?

Pedaling Fool
01-04-2013, 09:10
At the risk of seeming monumentally insensitive, what ever happened to natural selection?:D:D:D

Humans have, for all practical purposes, suspended that law, despite it being a law of nature; I'm not sure why, it's not as if we're an endangered species. I guess we're too good to be subjected to nature's laws. :)

Nutbrown
01-04-2013, 09:21
Pretty hilarious. What did they do? Walk them back down the path???

But in seriousness, hypothermia makes for a dangerous situation if you are sitting on your porch steps, let alone on a rock in the woods. I probably would have died instead of taking the embarrassment from calling 911.

atraildreamer
01-04-2013, 11:17
Pretty hilarious. What did they do? Walk them back down the path???

But in seriousness, hypothermia makes for a dangerous situation if you are sitting on your porch steps, let alone on a rock in the woods. I probably would have died instead of taking the embarrassment from calling 911.

Joe's Rock is a popular spot in the summer. It is a nice hiking area. They probably hiked there, and climbed the rock, when it was warmer. We had about a foot of snow in the area last week, along with below-freezing temperatures. They probably didn't realize how icy a winter climb could be and got in over their heads. I saw the news clip, it was pretty hazardous for all involved.

Omaha_Ace
01-04-2013, 11:28
At least nobody had to saw their arm off with a dull pocket knife...

RCBear
01-04-2013, 11:33
At the risk of seeming monumentally insensitive, what ever happened to natural selection?:D:D:D

Humans have, for all practical purposes, suspended that law, despite it being a law of nature; I'm not sure why, it's not as if we're an endangered species. I guess we're too good to be subjected to nature's laws. :)

Good point

jeffmeh
01-04-2013, 13:15
:D:D:D

Not exactly, but what consitutes being fit (in an evolutionary sense) has certainly changed over time. :)