PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my Ignrornance

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 13:51
Being new to some of the newer ways of camping ( I just use to find a spot and there it is). What are the do's and dont's of shelter use and tent camping in the GSMNP. I only live a hour and half away and would like to section hike the GSMNP this summer. But, I dont want to have to deal with a bunch of BS either. So being well informed is my ammo, if you will. Also .... What is a ridge runner as some people refer to them ? Please Excuse my Ignorance..... Thanks :confused:

Rasty
01-03-2013, 14:05
You have to camp at designated campsites (Shelters along the AT except for campsite 116 north of Shuckstack). You need to make reservations by calling the backcountry office until the new on-line reservation system is implimented. When the new reservation system comes on line the fee is $4 per night per person to a max of $20. Tenting is not allowed at the Shelters except thru hikers may tent if the shelter is full. Ridge runners are enforcing the rules. Get your reservation 30 days before you arrive, or start 50 miles to the north or south of the GSMNP and then your "thru hiking" and then you fill out the permit at Fontana or Davenport.

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 14:19
Thank You .. HAHAHA What is a ridge runner gonna do anyway???? get your tag #...hahhah Citizens arrest, Citizens Arrest....hahaha

bigcranky
01-03-2013, 14:34
They'll get an armed ranger and toss you out of the park. Hahahaha. They have this newfangled technology called a "radio."

If you don't want to mess with the system, there are plenty of other good places to hike.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2013, 14:39
They'll get an armed ranger and toss you out of the park. Hahahaha. They have this newfangled technology called a "radio."

If you don't want to mess with the system, there are plenty of other good places to hike.

And if you piss them off, they can put you in jail and hit you with a big fine.

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2013, 14:45
The two ridgrunners I met in the Smokies were friendly, helpful and cheerful. As were the three rangers. One even switched my shelter reservation for me. It was a pleasure meeting them.

BirdBrain
01-03-2013, 15:21
I don't find it so obvious that bigcranky has no sense of humor. It is a matter of perspective. You judge the intent of your words, well... because you know what you are thinking. It is hard to climb into the brain of another and discern thoughts and intent. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to save you from a confrontation or worse. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you truly wanted help with your "ignorance" and are joking. Although, it is easier to think well of an adviser than it is one who tells another to shove it. There is a Book that once advised, "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee". Let's find out who is who here. Lighten up and have a bit of fun.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 15:24
The two ridgrunners I met in the Smokies were friendly, helpful and cheerful. As were the three rangers. One even switched my shelter reservation for me. It was a pleasure meeting them.

yeah - the system is a little over-controlling and the shelters are too small for today's crowds but the rangers are usually nice and pretty easy to work with - - I hiked the whole park (in the winter) last year and got a shelter beyond where I had a reservation - - a ranger hiked in and was surprised to see me out - he had no problem with my stay and changed my reservation with a notation on the spot.

bigcranky
01-03-2013, 17:15
So first you tell me it was a joke, and then you tell me to shove it? Nice. You ask a decent question, get a serious response, then your next post is very close to being pure troll. Great attitude, buddy.

I have a great sense of humor, so you'll please pardon me while I laugh as I put you on my ignore list.

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 19:09
I was partially serious and joking.... I'm sure that if a ranger says don't camp there ... I'm not the The type of person to question athority.Now, was crankys smart comment and insinuation that I am some sort of DA, and that radios are something I'm not aware of I believe grants my smart return of the shove it comment...don't dish it out if you can't take it...and I do have fun and I'm easy going and jovial . But, even I can get rubbed the wrong way too. Troll I am not, on your ignore list.....your loss

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 19:16
I only wished I could have seen Crankys profile so I could recognize him if I seen him on the trail....I'd give him a coke and a smile...

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 19:51
I only wished I could have seen Crankys profile so I could recognize him if I seen him on the trail....I'd give him a coke and a smile...

:).... you asked a great questions about the GSMNP... I'm sorry that this huge misunderstanding took place between you guys. :(

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 20:06
Me too... Unless someone would like to speak to him on my be half I guess I will have to live with being on someone's ignore list... This is a first..

The Cleaner
01-03-2013, 21:58
In the early 80's to 1990 I hiked the AT several times in both directions,hiked a few hundred miles of other Park trails and met a thru hiker who later got a job at LeConte lodge.He invited me to stay a week at the lodge if I would help wash dishes.It was a great week.I got tired of the crowds everywhere and the farting&snoring at the shelters is sometimes comical to say the least.One night at Kephart Prong shelter two teenagers arrived after dark(it was in June) and most hikers were in their bunks.After only a few minutes the teenagers produced a fairly large bong and announced to the whole shelter "Does anybody wanna get high?". There was a man with 2 kids still up and you should have seen the look on his face.Kinda like the eek emotioncon here.Watching hikers cut green trees for firewood and other similar acts just got me burned out on hiking the overcrowded park.There are miles&miles of trails just outside the park with great views,good campsites no reservations required.It just takes a little research to find them.The park is just too crowded these days and one of the reasons most people backpack is to "Get away from cities and enjoy nature".Well HYOH where ever you go,but I've had enough of the Smokies and their rules and regulations.Too many other places to go.Happy Trails to all :sun

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 22:16
Thank you neighbor... Hopefully I will meet you on the trail on day.ll

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 22:23
One day too...haha

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 22:26
Me too... Unless someone would like to speak to him on my be half I guess I will have to live with being on someone's ignore list... This is a first..

Ahhh... I will. I'm not shy....I will express to him that u feel bad that ur convo went the way it did. You have no hard feelings towards him & sorry that u offended him... 10-4?

Tharwood
01-03-2013, 23:26
10-4 with me...

BirdBrain
01-04-2013, 01:21
I doubt anyone will ever be put on my ignore list. I'll take the blunt, the funny, the informative, and the ridiculous. It's all good. "Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him". Personally, I don't know where my preparations would be without the vast wealth of opinions and knowledge contained on this site. Perhaps my comments were a bit quick too.

bigcranky
01-04-2013, 08:26
I doubt anyone will ever be put on my ignore list.

Life's too short, so I just put the serious trolls and the really rude people on the ignore list. They eventually go away on their own, with a few exceptions.

In this case, it doesn't look like Tharwood is a troll.

Hey, Tharwood, if you're going to post snarky responses when you get serious answers, you should expect to get the same thing in return. Doubling down doesn't really help. Nor does assuming bad will on my part when you want me to assume that you're just trying to be funny. (The radio comment was objectively funny :) )

Happy trails, dude.

HikerMom58
01-04-2013, 09:24
Life's too short, so I just put the serious trolls and the really rude people on the ignore list. They eventually go away on their own, with a few exceptions.

In this case, it doesn't look like Tharwood is a troll.

Hey, Tharwood, if you're going to post snarky responses when you get serious answers, you should expect to get the same thing in return. Doubling down doesn't really help. Nor does assuming bad will on my part when you want me to assume that you're just trying to be funny. (The radio comment was objectively funny :) )

Happy trails, dude.

:sun And for what it's worth ( not 2 much).... my respect just went wayyy up for both you and Tharwood. I hope you both have a great day & Happy Trails!!

coach lou
01-04-2013, 09:27
K, we have the wrong Blonde heading the State Department:sun

Deadeye
01-04-2013, 09:53
Lesson learned - it's tough for amateur writers to convey humor, and even the pros can't make "shove it" come out funny on WB.

As for GSMNP, just like the huts in the Presidentials, I may take choose to take an alternate route on my walk from Georgia to Maine (or vice-versa), I'm not worried at all about tagging every white blaze. I enjoy sharing a shelter with 2 or 3 hikers, but packing in like sardines... no thanks.

Tharwood
01-04-2013, 11:57
Thanks HikerMom for ... well ... Being like a mom... HAHa ( this is a good thing). And, my apology to Big Cranky for the misunderstanding.. Happy trails to you both as well.

HikerMom58
01-04-2013, 12:42
Thanks HikerMom for ... well ... Being like a mom... HAHa ( this is a good thing). And, my apology to Big Cranky for the misunderstanding.. Happy trails to you both as well.

Thanks Tharwood, I take that as a huge compliment. :)

My hats off to you, both, for working things out... Like I said b4, I have a huge amount of respect for u both, from now on, when I see ur postings on here... just sayin..

BirdBrain
01-06-2013, 21:20
Lesson learned - it's tough for amateur writers to convey humor, and even the pros can't make "shove it" come out funny on WB.

What if he had said "Up your nose, with a rubber hose"? That might have been funny to the generation that remembers John Travolta as Vinnie Barbarino. Okay, I admit that is a stretch. I tried. All's well. Glad to see bigcranky on here. Rampant Snorer did not deserve to be put on an ignore list. I hear you have no trail name (Tharwood). That is my vote. Or maybe Sir Snoresalot.

I know you started this thread asking for help with another matter. However, I feel your real need is a trail name.

Tharwood
01-07-2013, 09:08
LOL...Rampant Snorer...hahahaha

Tharwood
01-07-2013, 09:09
My wife would say Chain Saw ...hahahaa

BirdBrain
01-07-2013, 17:52
I thought I would get more banter on that. I saw you on another thread saying you had no trail name and one would probably be given to you because of your snoring. Come on guys. This man needs some help. Rampant Snorer and Sir Snoresalot were my contributions. There must be better ones.

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 16:05
hahah ... Cricketts...

BirdBrain
01-08-2013, 18:13
hahah ... Cricketts...

Not on the thread where you 1st confessed your trait and lack of trail name.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90352-Origin-of-your-trail-name

Har har. HikerMomKD and I have been talking about you behind your back.

Rasty
01-08-2013, 19:50
So you like Crickets as a trail name?

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 19:54
No. Hahahahahahahah that ment I heard crickets when bird brain asked for ideas...haha silence... Crickets...hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 19:55
And what have you and Hikermom been talking about....lol

atmilkman
01-08-2013, 19:59
So you like Crickets as a trail name?
Who's Crickets?

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 20:12
Hahah see Post#33

atmilkman
01-08-2013, 20:19
Hahah see Post#33

Ooooooh, YOU'RE Crickets. Got it.

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 20:22

Well, we've come up with a trail name for you... I think it's on the "What does your trail name mean"? thread. That BirdBrain is a poet but he don't know it or something like that! :) Find it and tell us what you think....

BirdBrain
01-08-2013, 20:24

Check it out on the other thread.

Athensm50
02-25-2013, 13:43
so I may know the answer to this already....but I saw there is no tent camping....

What about Hammock camping.....you never know we are there....:D

Hairbear
02-26-2013, 09:05
I don't find it so obvious that bigcranky has no sense of humor. It is a matter of perspective. You judge the intent of your words, well... because you know what you are thinking. It is hard to climb into the brain of another and discern thoughts and intent. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to save you from a confrontation or worse. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you truly wanted help with your "ignorance" and are joking. Although, it is easier to think well of an adviser than it is one who tells another to shove it. There is a Book that once advised, "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee". Let's find out who is who here. Lighten up and have a bit of fun.

can you tell me who you are quoting in your post.Is it Thoreau

Hairbear
02-26-2013, 09:07
[QUOTE=Hairbear;1426813]can you tell me who you are quoting in your post.Is it Thoreau[/QUOT

After reading again it sounds biblical.