PDA

View Full Version : Permits? Help I'm confused

catkonosky
01-03-2013, 14:06
So on the AT conservancy site it says that there are certain areas on the trail that you must register. Can someone please give me a little more info on it, such as the locations and the prices?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2013, 14:08
Shenandoah Nat. park and Great Smoky Mtn. Nat. park is all you have to register for

Slo-go'en
01-03-2013, 14:14
Only for the national parks, the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the Shenandoah's This year you need to also pay a $20 fee to hike through the Smokies, not sure yet how you pay it. We'll figure that out when we get there. The Shenandoah NP is still free, but you need to fill out a permit when you get there.

moldy
01-03-2013, 17:57
Right now backcountry permits are needed at both National Parks, they are free and available on the trail. Later this Spring the park service will start charging for this permit in the Smokies, 4$ per night or 20$ for a one week pass intended for thru hikers. You also must register to enter Baxter State Park in Maine. You should also know that unless you are a thru hiker you need a reservation for each campsite and shelter in the Smokies. This will be free and available only via telephone no more than 30 days in advance.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 18:22
I'm guessing that you're planning on thru hiking - - as long as you begin your hike 50 miles outside the GSMNP, you will just use the "self-permit" station at Fontana Dam when entering the Park - you drop one part in a box and carry the other part with you and you're done. There is also a (new) small fee. Camping isn't allowed any place but the shelters but thru-hikers are allowed to tent near the shelter if the shelter is full. You will also need a similar permit in Shenandoah - - also a self-register affair when you get there and again at Baxter State Park in ME (I forget how the system works there) but regardless, it shouldn't be a big worry for you as a thru-hiker - you'll figure it out when you get there.

atmilkman
01-03-2013, 18:46
Does Shenandoah have the same rules as GSMNP regarding thru-hikers must use shelters unless full or can you pitch a tent even if it's not?

Papa D
01-03-2013, 20:07
Does Shenandoah have the same rules as GSMNP regarding thru-hikers must use shelters unless full or can you pitch a tent even if it's not?

It's a little laxer than GSMNP - - when I went thru it was all different - we walked Skyline Drive a lot and SNP went super fast - - I've re-hiked SNP though ('08) - - rangers didn't show up every night - - I don't remember any tenting regulations around the shelters but I also can't recall tenting anywhere other than around shelters. Unless things have changed in the last 4 years, there are no fees (at least I don't remember any).

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 20:09
No M&M not the same rules as in the Smokies... after you get the permit for the Shenandoah's -they ask you where you think you will be staying but it's more for your own good so they have a record of your intentions, that's all.

moldy
01-03-2013, 21:04
In SNP you don't have to stay in the shelters. Both SNP and GSMNP have web pages

Lone Wolf
01-03-2013, 21:17
You also must register to enter Baxter State Park in Maine.

only if you drive in. there is no mandatory registration for hikers

Rain Man
01-04-2013, 09:19

I can't say for sure at the Ranger Station, but there is a trailhead register, which they direct hikers to sign before beginning the hike up Katahdin and again to sign out when you return.

If it's not mandatory, it's at a minimum like obeying hostel rules and/or making "voluntary" donations. It's the right thing to do.

Rain Man

Son Driven
01-04-2013, 09:43
I am planning on GA-ME thru 2013. I am rebelling against the www world. However, I am making an exception of using www for planning purposes. Once I hit the trail no more www Is there provisions for people to make reservations who are not carrying phones?

Blissful
01-04-2013, 09:56
Shenandoah permits are picked up and filled out at kiosks when you enter the park. You can't just camp anywhere, there are regs with regards to campgrounds, structures, roads. And rangers check for permits so be sure it is on your pack.

Blissful
01-04-2013, 09:58
I am planning on GA-ME thru 2013. I am rebelling against the www world. However, I am making an exception of using www for planning purposes. Once I hit the trail no more www Is there provisions for people to make reservations who are not carrying phones? You might find phones to make reservations but that isn't guaranteed. No reason not to carry a trac phone for emergencies as phone booths are becoming obsolete.

catkonosky
01-04-2013, 11:11
I am planning on GA-ME thru 2013. I am rebelling against the www world. However, I am making an exception of using www for planning purposes. Once I hit the trail no more www Is there provisions for people to make reservations who are not carrying phones?

I didn't want to take my cell phone either! I was originally planning on going without it, as well as my ipod etc. But, my boyfriend seems to think that we have to take one, whats the probability that you would even receive signal all the way out in the woods. Have you heard of the SPOT GPS messenger?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2013, 11:16
I didn't want to take my cell phone either! I was originally planning on going without it, as well as my ipod etc. But, my boyfriend seems to think that we have to take one, whats the probability that you would even receive signal all the way out in the woods. Have you heard of the SPOT GPS messenger?
you really don't need to bring a cell phone

Sly
01-04-2013, 11:29
You also must register to enter Baxter State Park in Maine.

I can't say for sure ...

Unless you summit Katahdin from outside the park, and hike back out of the park, you'll need to register for a shelter or campsite.

From the Companion:

Baxter State Park—The park, (207) 723-5140, has 10 campgrounds available May 15–Oct
15 by reservation on a first-come, first-served basis, $10pp, two-person minimum ($20
per site) except at the Birches. The Birches campsite, near Katahdin Stream Campground,
is intended for long-distance hikers who have hiked 100 miles or more on
their current trip. Hikers staying at the Birches must sign up at the information kiosk
just north of Abol Bridge. Please see the entry for Baxter on page 264 for more information
and details about camping and regulations near Katahdin. Southbound hikers
should reserve a regular lean-to or tentsite at Katahdin Stream or Abol campgrounds.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2013, 14:33
Right now backcountry permits are needed at both National Parks, they are free and available on the trail. Later this Spring the park service will start charging for this permit in the Smokies, 4$ per night or 20$ for a one week pass intended for thru hikers. You also must register to enter Baxter State Park in Maine. You should also know that unless you are a thru hiker you need a reservation for each campsite and shelter in the Smokies. This will be free and available only via telephone no more than 30 days in advance.

Telephone reservations 30 days out is only until the new permit system is in place. Not all campsites require a reservation. All shelters require a reservation, and all "rationed" (i.e. highly popular) campsite require a reservation.

Once the new system is in place and the $4/$20 fee takes effect, all shelters and campsites will effectively require a reservation. Likely the only form of payment will be CC over the internet.